Sign in to follow this  
Busted by the Feds

JStew being made the featured back

The Associated Press confirms coach Ron Rivera planned to use Jonathan Stewart as the "clear featured back" in Week 7 versus the Cowboys.

Beat writer Steve Reed notes that Rivera "tried to change things up schematically" to give Stewart a shot "as the workhorse running back." Rivera indicated that other such personnel and scheme changes could be coming this week, though he did not expand on his backfield plans. Stewart played 58 snaps in Week 7 compared to 15 for Mike Tolbert and just five for a benched DeAngelo Williams. If Rivera does want to establish Stewart, it makes sense to give him more than a one-week audition. Stewart is talented enough to turn the Panthers' struggling ground attack around. He should be owned in all fantasy leagues going forward. ( per rotoworld )

Do you buy into this or is the Carolina backfield such a minefield right now and just stay away from them ?

I read this earlier today and damn i hope he sticks with this plan <_< Cause team i lost MJD on could really use a featured Stewart

As a Panther fan, the organization is a complete mess. I think we have to bump J-stew up and drop DeAngelo down on this news, but It's a fluid situation. Much like the AZ Cards, I'm staying away.

Even if hes the feature like he was this weekend. He gets 10 carries. Newton runs for a bunch and Tolbert gets the goal line. Sure hes a stash but I really dont expect much more then a desperate bye week guy. Maybe getting ready to trade Williams. Now Deaneglo Starting for another team. May stash Williams just in case. I think Stewart is a little more talented but on this team no RB has alot of value.

Even if hes the feature like he was this weekend. He gets 10 carries. Newton runs for a bunch and Tolbert gets the goal line. Sure hes a stash but I really dont expect much more then a desperate bye week guy. Maybe getting ready to trade Williams. Now Deaneglo Starting for another team. May stash Williams just in case. I think Stewart is a little more talented but on this team no RB has alot of value.

With the shakeup there, riveridiot might have gotten a memo saying run the ball more, we paid all this $$$. It's obv a wait and see but I can see a different scheme being employed. We find out this weekend.

With the shakeup there, riveridiot might have gotten a memo saying run the ball more, we paid all this $$. It's obv a wait and see but I can see a different scheme being employed. We find out this weekend.

The thing is , arent they paying Deangelo Williams even more then Stewart ?

The thing is , arent they paying Deangelo Williams even more then Stewart ?

Not sure who makes more but clearly that was one of the stupider personnel moves in a while. Who knows what I going on behind closed doors. I don't expect Stewart to emerge as a 25 touches 125 yards guy, but I think they'll commit to the run a bit more. Clearly that college offense bs they're running ain't working. So I they do commit to the run and commit to jstew as opposed to committee, maybe he becomes a start able player. Either way that org is a mess until they ri themselves of rivera

Anyone notice how many empty seats were in the stadium during the Dallas game ?

Shocking for an nfl franchise on a beautiful sunday

There's talk that DWILL might be moved before the trade deadline.

any linkage?

from a talent standpoint, Stewart is, IMO, one of the five most talented backs in the league. That's not to say he's one of the five best, but there isn't anything the guy can't do. Good blocker, fast, powerful, great speed for his size, elusive for a big back. Problem is, Carolina lost their pro-bowl center and they're in desperation "save my job" mode. What they say and what they do may be very different things. I feel bad for Stewart. He's stayed quiet and been a good teammate and employee, but he's lost what could have been some wonderful years of his career in that Panther suckfest.

As a Panther fan, the organization is a complete mess. I think we have to bump J-stew up and drop DeAngelo down on this news, but It's a fluid situation. Much like the AZ Cards, I'm staying away.

I feel sorry for you as a Panther fan. Cam "The Sham" Newton is not very good. Hand the ball off and you will have a chance to win.

Cam aint worth a SNAP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xleZjdIUqUQ&feature=related

Where? Zona?

I came across this on one of the NFL news site. They suggested DWill should be a hold until after the trade deadline. There's a few teams in the league that could use his service.

I came across this on one of the NFL news site. They suggested DWill should be a hold until after the trade deadline. There's a few teams in the league that could use his service.

Greenbay would be awesome.

I can name a few.

JETS

PACKERS

FALCONS

CARDINALS

LIONS

BENGALS

Not sure what kind of trade clause he has, but the Coons and the Pack are the only teams I can see him going to if he has a choice. I doubt Car would trade him in the division too. He may not get traded this year, but you can guarantee he wont be around next year!

I can't justify playing him yet, so I guess I'm in a wait and see mode.

I think Cam/Tolbert get the close in TDs, so he really needs a lot of carries.

I can name a few.

JETS

PACKERS

FALCONS

CARDINALS

LIONS

BENGALS

The Jets are good at signing players and then not using them at all. DWill would fit right in. :music_guitarred:

I can name a few.

JETS

PACKERS

FALCONS

CARDINALS

LIONS

BENGALS

The Bengals need a pass catching back, DWill doesn't fit that bill.

Panthers moving to power-running scheme?

According to the Charlotte Observer, the Panthers are shifting from the zone-read package to "more reliance on a power running game."

NFL Films analyst Greg Cosell notes the Panthers have had no base run game this year, as 66 percent of their carries have come out of the shotgun. Coach Ron Rivera promised more changes after Jonathan Stewart was installed as the featured back last week. Although Rivera has only hinted at specifics, beat writer Joe Person believes "it's clear the Panthers are trying to re-create themselves offensively." The shift away from the zone-read is the second major sign this week that Stewart's fantasy value could be ready to skyrocket. He's a recommended trade target this week.

I want no part of that offense, even though I'll probably be starting Olsen for the rest of the season. :(

And you are wise to say so. Why would anyone want a running back from a team that has Williams, Tolbert, and cam stealing carries and TDs at any given time. They also have no passing attack and actually kind of suck.

Why even discuss Carolina's offense at all? :thumbsdown:

Panthers moving to power-running scheme?

According to the Charlotte Observer, the Panthers are shifting from the zone-read package to "more reliance on a power running game."

NFL Films analyst Greg Cosell notes the Panthers have had no base run game this year, as 66 percent of their carries have come out of the shotgun. Coach Ron Rivera promised more changes after Jonathan Stewart was installed as the featured back last week. Although Rivera has only hinted at specifics, beat writer Joe Person believes "it's clear the Panthers are trying to re-create themselves offensively." The shift away from the zone-read is the second major sign this week that Stewart's fantasy value could be ready to skyrocket. He's a recommended trade target this week.

An all out attempt to save their jobs.

Took a while didn't it? I'll have to see it to believe it. Let's see how many carries JSTEW gets against a tough Chicago Defense.

Stewart has the "potential" to be RB1 but im scared to use him right now the way Newton is playing or not playing. With the MJD injury i need a #2 RB and have Alex "Doing my best CJnoK Impression" Green penciled in but would like to play Stewart. Carolina plays Chicago so JStew has his word cut out for him this week. Chicago has only allowed on average of 10.2 pts per game to RBs. However Leshoure averaged 5.3 YPC last week vs Chicago(12 for 63) and had 6 catches for 20 yards. With the fumble he only ended up with 6 pts in standard leagues. Stewart has very good hands out of backfield so i can see him having decent week. Stewart has not had 100+ yards rushing in game since Week 14 and 15 in 2010.

An all out attempt to save their jobs.

Took a while didn't it? I'll have to see it to believe it. Let's see how many carries JSTEW gets against a tough Chicago Defense.

rivera has no shot at saving his job. Took long enough is an understatement. How do you pay those guys that kind of money and then end up 24th in the league in rushing? It's sheer stupidity. It's stupid enough on its own to pay those 2 backs, but then your HC is not even alligned with the GM in terms of using the backs. WOW is all I can say. Then they go run stupid option plays, and Cam keeps the ball 80% of the time, leading the team in rushing. It's just all around idiocy. Outside of them making the playoffs, there are no jobs to be saved. And rightfully so. Rivera looks more confused out there than Herm Edwards and Jim Schwarts combined!

rivera has no shot at saving his job. Took long enough is an understatement. How do you pay those guys that kind of money and then end up 24th in the league in rushing? It's sheer stupidity. It's stupid enough on its own to pay those 2 backs, but then your HC is not even alligned with the GM in terms of using the backs. WOW is all I can say. Then they go run stupid option plays, and Cam keeps the ball 80% of the time, leading the team in rushing. It's just all around idiocy. Outside of them making the playoffs, there are no jobs to be saved. And rightfully so. Rivera looks more confused out there than Herm Edwards and Jim Schwarts combined!

Agree.

Let's see who's the bigger clown. The Clown (Rivera), or the dude (Richardson) that believe the clown can get the job done. The clown really do look Clueless out there.

Choosing between Alex Green and JStew going forward... which is the better candidate to put up some respectable numbers by the end of the year?

Too bad J-Stew wasn't playing his first game against Buffalo or NO.

Da Bears are scary good.

Choosing between Alex Green and JStew going forward... which is the better candidate to put up some respectable numbers by the end of the year?

Yeah me too or atleast until or if MJD gets back. If Green doesnt do it this weekend then he may run out of chances.

First there is no team in the NFL that is going to trade for an aging RB like DWill and take on that contract. I don't think you start JStew this week, but you let him play a couple weeks to see how this plays out. The brass in Carolina have to understand that they need more "faces" to the franchise and leaders than just Cam Newton. It will be very interesting to see the transition to the power run game that this is suggesting. If that is the case then Newton's shotgun zone read option runs will be limited and I'd also assume that Tolbert will be used as the fullback to block for Newton.

First there is no team in the NFL that is going to trade for an aging RB like DWill and take on that contract. I don't think you start JStew this week, but you let him play a couple weeks to see how this plays out. The brass in Carolina have to understand that they need more "faces" to the franchise and leaders than just Cam Newton. It will be very interesting to see the transition to the power run game that this is suggesting. If that is the case then Newton's shotgun zone read option runs will be limited and I'd also assume that Tolbert will be used as the fullback to block for Newton.

He's 29 years old with minimal tread. He's in the prime of his career for the next 3 years. Teams will trade for deangelo.