Sign in to follow this  
phillybear

***The Official Seattle Seahawks 2013 Season Thread***

Although most folks would question that personal foul call on Dougie, I remember screaming at the tv as the whistle was clearly blown already. Good call but I understand why Texans fans would be upset. I thought the two late PI calls against Seattle were horrible calls...didnt notice the McDaniels hit on Schaub. The refs were not great...

Hawks had no business winning that game but I'm ecstatic they pulled it off (another 10am, road game checked off).

I knew they would make it close as they did the ATL playoff game and I'm happy to see the results different this time.

Russell Wilson's box score doesnt tell the whole story of his performance...he was running for his life all day (and dating back to even before Wisconsin, he just doesnt get blown out).

Another tough one next week in IND and a Jake Locker-less TEN team the week after....Go Hawks!

Houston Homer here. I'm still fuming after this nicely gift wrapped win to the Seahawks. A game has never bothered me so much. What a stupid throw, what a dumb play call, what dumb calls and miscalls by the refs, what a dumb fumble by Tate, and even screw Cushing for getting a concussion!

But hey, let bygones be bygones. Let's do each other a favor and both of us win next week! I'm actually predicting a Houston win.

Gift wrapped? The Seahawks defense dominated the last three quarters of the game. Good teams win games when they are not playing their best. Medicore teams, well, you saw what happened. But good luck against SF.

Gift wrapped? The Seahawks defense dominated the last three quarters of the game. Good teams win games when they are not playing their best. Medicore teams, well, you saw what happened. But good luck against SF.

I think the Texans are better than mediocre, and I would describe them as a pretty good team, a team that was one of popular choices to go to the Super Bowl from the AFC.

I'm starting to question exactly how dominant was the defense in the 2nd half and overtime. For one thing, the pressure got turned up on Schaub, which was a huge difference. Clemons, McDonald, Avril, etc did an admirable job, even with the loss of Bennett. But Kubiak seemed to be playing four corners offense, basically he was trying to run out the clock on the 2nd half while preserving the lead with very safe play calling. Of course, this backfired, due to a couple of turnovers and Wilson running for his life. Just soooooo many punts by Houston. They'd get to midfield, and stall. Sure, the D-line played better, but the linebacking play sucked. Absolutely sucked. Wagner was not noticeable, but KJ Wright and Malcolm Smith looked like clowns out there. And even Richard Sherman looked human, other than his one shoe pick 6. The secondary was not good, other than the around the horn team effort INT. As much as I want to believe it was all just Seattle flipping a switch in the 2nd half, I think Houston self destructed just as much, and went into a turtle position in the 3rd quarter, just trying to survive the inevitable comeback. Even Sherman was saying after the game how predictable the Houston offense was, which allowed him to bait and jump the route leading to the pick.

Just more of my random thoughts and speculation.

I think the Texans are better than mediocre, and I would describe them as a pretty good team, a team that was one of popular choices to go to the Super Bowl from the AFC.

I'm starting to question exactly how dominant was the defense in the 2nd half and overtime. For one thing, the pressure got turned up on Schaub, which was a huge difference. Clemons, McDonald, Avril, etc did an admirable job, even with the loss of Bennett. But Kubiak seemed to be playing four corners offense, basically he was trying to run out the clock on the 2nd half while preserving the lead with very safe play calling. Of course, this backfired, due to a couple of turnovers and Wilson running for his life. Just soooooo many punts by Houston. They'd get to midfield, and stall. Sure, the D-line played better, but the linebacking play sucked. Absolutely sucked. Wagner was not noticeable, but KJ Wright and Malcolm Smith looked like clowns out there. And even Richard Sherman looked human, other than his one shoe pick 6. The secondary was not good, other than the around the horn team effort INT. As much as I want to believe it was all just Seattle flipping a switch in the 2nd half, I think Houston self destructed just as much, and went into a turtle position in the 3rd quarter, just trying to survive the inevitable comeback. Even Sherman was saying after the game how predictable the Houston offense was, which allowed him to bait and jump the route leading to the pick.

Just more of my random thoughts and speculation.

I agree with everything you said. However the Seahawks defense had a role in forcing Houston to play the way they did. To simply say Houston lost the game as that Texans fan inferred is not 100% accurate.

I agree with everything you said. However the Seahawks defense had a role in forcing Houston to play the way they did. To simply say Houston lost the game as that Texans fan inferred is not 100% accurate.

Yeah, I'd say it was a combination of Houston self destructing and Seattle refusing to lose. Which percentage is higher? That's open to interpretation and debate.

Still, a pretty good feeling, as opposed to spending all week dissecting what went wrong in a blow out loss on the road.

Still, a pretty good feeling, as opposed to spending all week dissecting what went wrong in a blow out loss on the road.

This! Now the DEF gets Irvin back and reports are that Michael Bennett will play as well. The DEF will keep this team in games until the OFF gets rolling which should happen sometime around week 9/10.

Yeah, I'd say it was a combination of Houston self destructing and Seattle refusing to lose. Which percentage is higher? That's open to interpretation and debate.

I pretty much agree with everything you say phillybear, you're a very rational fan.

I agree, it was a combination of both... Seattle's D stepping up and Houston making idiotic decisions. I just can't stop thinking if Schaub doesn't make that idiotic throw, and simply ate the sack, then I'm pretty sure we're coming out with a W.

On the last drive before OT, Schaub actually got a blow to the head twice (pictures below). The first one, his helmet even went flying off after the blow. The 2nd one would have instantly put us in field goal range. I was mad at the non-calls there, but not pissed. I was just thinking, "OK, refs letting them play." But when they made the call against Kareem Jackson in OT, which basically put the Seahawks in FG range, that's when I got really angry. If you're going to let them play, be fair about it on both sides.

I really need to stop talking about this game, it's not helping my blood pressure.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6789925/Schaub_hit2.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6789925/schaub_hit1.png

*It won't let me post pictures on here for some reason, so I just put links.

I pretty much agree with everything you say phillybear, you're a very rational fan.

I agree, it was a combination of both... Seattle's D stepping up and Houston making idiotic decisions. I just can't stop thinking if Schaub doesn't make that idiotic throw, and simply ate the sack, then I'm pretty sure we're coming out with a W.

On the last drive before OT, Schaub actually got a blow to the head twice (pictures below). The first one, his helmet even went flying off after the blow. The 2nd one would have instantly put us in field goal range. I was mad at the non-calls there, but not pissed. I was just thinking, "OK, refs letting them play." But when they made the call against Kareem Jackson in OT, which basically put the Seahawks in FG range, that's when I got really angry. If you're going to let them play, be fair about it on both sides.

I really need to stop talking about this game, it's not helping my blood pressure.

Please don't talk about ref screw jobs to Seahawks fans. TIA

Please don't talk about ref screw jobs to Seahawks fans. TIA

I'm with you on that... you guys DID get screwed in the Super Bowl.

:shocking: Did anyone else just read that too? :doh:

We're gonna need to invite dream_team to one of our draft parties. :lol:

I just needed to quote this for posterity.

In FFT history, this phrase has never appeared before and is very likely never, never, never going to appear again. :banana:

If you want a heaping bowlful of irrational and frothy lunacy, you should follow my NFL draft day howls of outrage. Yikes.

Edit: Dammit, Kopy. Beat me to the punch.

:shocking: Did anyone else just read that too? :doh:

We're gonna need to invite dream_team to one of our draft parties. :lol:

Well my sample size is quite small.

Speaking of which, I guess the only draft pick from this year that we are getting production from is one of the 7th round picks, Michael Bowie, an emergency fill in. Maybe Luke Willson.

I know, I know, it's way early. But I'm thinking this was not a good draft based on what we are seeing right now. Some guys are gone, some on IR/PUP, a couple are very, very deep reserves. Eh, not feeling good about it. You would think one or two guys a draft can break through based on talent and opportunity.

Speaking of which, I guess the only draft pick from this year that we are getting production from is one of the 7th round picks, Michael Bowie, an emergency fill in. Maybe Luke Willson.

I know, I know, it's way early. But I'm thinking this was not a good draft based on what we are seeing right now. Some guys are gone, some on IR/PUP, a couple are very, very deep reserves. Eh, not feeling good about it. You would think one or two guys a draft can break through based on talent and opportunity.

Yeah it is way too early to judge this class. Heck, PC & JS said before the draft that it would be hard for any of the new picks to make the team and contribute. This team is deep. That being said, Girl's name has a ton of talent but he has two guys in front of him and with the OL issues thus far I can see why he has had limited opportunities.We may not see major production this year but that is more a product of the talented deep roster than lack of talent from the players who were drafted.

Per Pete Carrol presser:

Jordan Hill, Max Unger, Michael Bennett, Jeron Johnson back at practice. Breno still in NY Spencer Ware still banged up.

I'd like to see Jordan Hill on the field.

Christine Michael is electric, he just isn't good enough to start, and Turbin is better as a 3rd down back.

Jesse Williams and Simon could pay off next season.

Seahawks claim QB BJ Daniels off waivers from the Whiners. The dance continues...

Now, I read every post in this thread. Sometimes I pass on responding, not that I didn't think the post was interesting, but I just had nothing to add of interest.

BJ Daniels from South Florida. I don't have to look it up. I live in the Mid Atlantic part of the country, so I've certainly seen a bunch of South Florida games. You know, I never was impressed with this kid. However, the two QBs most prognosticators had going to Seattle in this past draft were Matt Scott and BJ Daniels, with Scott going 3-4 round, while Daniels going around 7th round. Clearly, he was cut by SF due to them picking up John Skelton. I don't think we have another QB on the roster other than Wilson and Jackson. Hey, they liked him, so let's bring him in for a looksie. He is very much the same type of player as Kaepernick, so it baffles me why he was cut. He can move, but I don't think much of his progression reads. Much like Kaepernick. Like I said, I don't particularly like him, but we cut a scrub defensive player, so let the churn keep going.

And let's not overlook how fortunate that we, well I don't want to speak for the group, I feel that we lucked into Tarvaris Jackson as our backup this year. He's been terrific all year, in camp, in preseason, and mop up duty.

Now, I read every post in this thread. Sometimes I pass on responding, not that I didn't think the post was interesting, but I just had nothing to add of interest.

BJ Daniels from South Florida. I don't have to look it up. I live in the Mid Atlantic part of the country, so I've certainly seen a bunch of South Florida games. You know, I never was impressed with this kid. However, the two QBs most prognosticators had going to Seattle in this past draft were Matt Scott and BJ Daniels, with Scott going 3-4 round, while Daniels going around 7th round. Clearly, he was cut by SF due to them picking up John Skelton. I don't think we have another QB on the roster other than Wilson and Jackson. Hey, they liked him, so let's bring him in for a looksie. He is very much the same type of player as Kaepernick, so it baffles me why he was cut. He can move, but I don't think much of his progression reads. Much like Kaepernick. Like I said, I don't particularly like him, but we cut a scrub defensive player, so let the churn keep going.

And let's not overlook how fortunate that we, well I don't want to speak for the group, I feel that we lucked into Tarvaris Jackson as our backup this year. He's been terrific all year, in camp, in preseason, and mop up duty.

I agree 100%. Lucky to have T-Jax back. The Hawks cut Lotuleilei (sp). Now have to cut a player for Irvin. Any guesses? Hoping it is not Mayowa.

I agree 100%. Lucky to have T-Jax back. The Hawks cut Lotuleilei (sp). Now have to cut a player for Irvin. Any guesses? Hoping it is not Mayowa.

Didn't we sign a center for when Unger was out. Spitz was his name?

Or maybe a linebacker, Morgan?

Or maybe toss Spencer Ware onto the IR.

Didn't we sign a center for when Unger was out. Spitz was his name?

Or maybe a linebacker, Morgan?

Or maybe toss Spencer Ware onto the IR.

Oh yes, Spitz. If Unger is back then maybe he goes. All three are solid options though.

I really need to do some homework on Indy. I've seen Houston play a number of games with their personnel, but Indy is basically less than a year and a half into a rebuild with a lot of pieces and schemes I really haven't seen other than on Redzone, which is limited. Statistically, right now, they are almost exact matches to the Seahawks. It's odd how close the numbers are. And their coaches and players have been very effusive in their praise of the Seahawks. The fans are generally low key. It's legitimately hard to get fired up this week for this game other than it's against a rapidly improving team on the road at 1:00 EST yet again. Seems vanilla in every way.

I really need to do some homework on Indy. I've seen Houston play a number of games with their personnel, but Indy is basically less than a year and a half into a rebuild with a lot of pieces and schemes I really haven't seen other than on Redzone, which is limited. Statistically, right now, they are almost exact matches to the Seahawks. It's odd how close the numbers are. And their coaches and players have been very effusive in their praise of the Seahawks. The fans are generally low key. It's legitimately hard to get fired up this week for this game other than it's against a rapidly improving team on the road at 1:00 EST yet again. Seems vanilla in every way.

I watched some of their game against the Raiders because I took them in survivor week 1. They looked meh. Then they look much better in beating the Whiners in SF so who knows? Their WRs shouldn't give the LOB any trouble and Trent Richardson does not look like a special back, so I don't think their offense will cause us problems like HOU did. Defensively their numbers look good but again not sure they have a front 7 like HOU and CAR so again not anticipating huge disruptions, especially with Unger back. Plus their 1st round pick Werner is out. Not looking past this team because it is the NFL and any given Sunday, but I think as long as the Hawks do not turn the ball over or suffer catastrophic injuries, this is definitely a winnable game.

If BJ Daniels sees the field this year, something has gone wrong (or, very right...maybe gets some garbage time minutes when we're beating the Cardinals 49-0 in the 4th quarter). This is about next year. It can't be a secret that TJax is playing exceptionally well for a backup. Someone will offer him a contract next season and Daniels can at least run the same playbook as Wilson. Imagine if instead our 3rd QB looked and played like Nick Foles! We'd need a whole different set of plays!

Wow. What a frustrating 1st H in Indianapolis. Basically, the opposite of last week. They are nearly tripling Indy in total yards. Yet, it's a tight game. You lose 5 points when the refs steal the TD away from Jeron Johnson on the blocked punt, then you have the 10 point swing on the blocked FG for a TD. That's 15 points right there.

I'm not liking the juju here.

Wilson is starting for me today, picked up off waivers after week 3. This guy is steady and people overreact after a bad fantasy game even tho te hawks won. I am worried when a qb has a bad fantasy day in a loss, in a win I worry much less.

Good game overall and Indy played well but the Hawks were screwed on several calls and no-calls. BS.

Good game overall and Indy played well but the Hawks were screwed on several calls and no-calls. BS.

I agree. Everything that could have went wrong did go wrong today.

You guys have to move on from this call stuff, Seattle DB's get away with way too much for you guys to complain about calls any longer.

Sherman was absolutely abused today even with grabbing and tugging on jerseys all day.

You guys have to move on from this call stuff, Seattle DB's get away with way too much for you guys to complain about calls any longer.

Sherman was absolutely abused today even with grabbing and tugging on jerseys all day.

Andrew Luck gained more yards by pass interference calls than by actually passing the ball.

Did you actually see that punt block safety/TD that was reviewed? Totally botched by the refs, and it absolutely changed the momentum of the game.

Andrew Luck gained more yards by pass interference calls than by actually passing the ball.

Did you actually see that punt block safety/TD that was reviewed? Totally botched by the refs, and it absolutely changed the momentum of the game.

Stop interfering the receivers. They could have called plenty more.

:dunno:

The bolded statement is absurd btw. I realize you were probably being sarcastic but, no...

It was Browner who was getting abused, not Sherman.

You got beat. Don't whine, blame the refs, etc.

You should be 2-2. Consider yourself lucky.

It was Browner who was getting abused, not Sherman.

Sherman had a rough day, to suggest otherwise is just being a homer.

You got beat. Don't whine, blame the refs, etc.

You should be 2-2. Consider yourself lucky.

You should be 0-16! :)

Sherman had a rough day, to suggest otherwise is just being a homer.

Not saying that Sherman was good, just that Browner was much worse.