Sign in to follow this  
MDC

What do you think of Alf Morris?

Probably an option when I pick late first. What scares me is the chance that:

1. One-year wonder

2. Shananigans

3. Turns out that RG3 opened tons of holes for him and without the threat of the QB running as much or as well, he's just an ordinary guy who won't come close to last year's production.

Can anybody talk me out of the above? :dunno:

No coach, Shanahan included, is going to just replace a guy that ran for over 1,600 yards. I really don't understand the logic of everyone that is so gung-ho about this. Look, when he doesn't have a proven back, he's going to go with the hot hand..but the worry about Morris being replaced by Helu or Royster or Bob Sagat is getting out of control.

In my re-draft league I'm drafting at the turn 12/13 and I plan on getting Morris + Dez/Marshall/AJ...whichever one strikes my fancy more at the time of drafting.

I'm not worried about Morris being outright replaced, I'm worried about him playing himself into a 60/40 timeshare and ending up with around 1,000 yards and 6 TDs, value to be sure but not what I want at the end of round 1.

non-PPR, I like him at the turn. He is towards the end of the tier of bellcow backs.

PPR, no. I'd prefer Forte if you want to go RB, or WR/WR.

No coach, Shanahan included, is going to just replace a guy that ran for over 1,600 yards. I really don't understand the logic of everyone that is so gung-ho about this. Look, when he doesn't have a proven back, he's going to go with the hot hand..but the worry about Morris being replaced by Helu or Royster or Bob Sagat is getting out of control.

Exactly! The Skins are hoping Helu can just win the #2 job so they can dump Royster. Helu is no threat to Morris as far as a timeshare. That's crazy thinking. One could make the argument that RGIII may not have as many running TDs this year coming back from the injury. If there are 1 or 2 rushing TDs that he does lose this year, who is going to pick those TDs up, Roy Helu???

My biggest reason for being so supportive of Morris is that only Adrian Peterson (1,369) and Doug Martin (1,005) had more yards after contact last season. He had 1,001 yards. Only 16 running backs even rushed for over 1,000 yards last season. Those three guys had just that after initial contact. Ahmad Bradshaw had 1015, the lowest of the 1,000+yd rushers, and he finished 20th for running backs and 40th for WR/RB in a PPR setting.

So...when I see that in a 12 team league not every team is going to have their RB2 get over a 1,000 yards rushing (receiving yards/receptions not included) I want to make sure that my RB1 is going to play every game and hopefully peak during the playoffs. I also want to know that he can be durable enough not to miss games. DeMarco Murray is a great talent, but I can't feel confident backing him up with Jonathan Stewart. McFadden and Mathews are buy at the right price players, and reggie bush is back on turf. Sproles is punching 30 years old.

"In the team’s seven-game winning streak to end the regular season, Morris averaged 117.1 yards rushing and scored eight of his 13 touchdowns" ( http://articles.wash...ington-redskins)

In the fantasy playoffs last season, when Washington needed him the most, Morris put up 129/1 week 14, week 15 he goes for 87yds/2td and got a couple receptions, and championship weekend the eagles allowed 91 yards and a score to Morris. And he got another catch for 17 yards.

Morris performed when the bright lights were on that team...while he will regress most likely from 1,600+ yards and double digit TDs, I still think he's good for 1,100 and 8 scores as a floor. You could do a lot worse than Morris.

Probably an option when I pick late first. What scares me is the chance that:

1. One-year wonder

2. Shananigans

3. Turns out that RG3 opened tons of holes for him and without the threat of the QB running as much or as well, he's just an ordinary guy who won't come close to last year's production.

Can anybody talk me out of the above? :dunno:

i think you are trying to talk yourself out of taking him ..and if you dont like him then pass on him ...in the four ppr leagues i am in i have him rankd below like a forte imo ..i just dont think he gets another 1600 yards and 13 td this season ..i dont like the redskins off has much has other do ..and i think rg3 falls out of the top ten in qb scoring this season ..call me crazy

He is a GIFT at the turn. Bell cow, hard-nosed, YAC, Goal-line mofo. In non-ppr, I take him after AP, Foster, and maybe Martin......and laugh all the way to the bank.

ppr there isnt anything to talk about as he loses to much luster for me.

but the question isnt alf morris, its rg3. if his knee prevents him from running like last year, or if the coaching prevents him from running like last year, defense will play them differently.

like try and stop the run and let p.garcon and fred davis beat me

i am low on alf this year

I think this article addresses each one of your concerns and pretty much says it all about this guy: http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-08-04/sports/41067289_1_alfred-morris-morris-s-washington-redskins

He'll be drafted as a top 5 back next year.

I am as big of a Morris skeptic as there is but this article may have swayed me a bit. Well done bringing this info to us. :thumbsup:

I personally think that the best RB on the Redskins is Roy Helu, of course he could nt stay healthy last season.

But if Helu's can stay healthy this year i do think he will get his share of carries.

He is a better receiver put of the backfield, he is a more explosive then Morris.

We shall see .

I am as big of a Morris skeptic as there is but this article may have swayed me a bit. Well done bringing this info to us. :thumbsup:

Totally agree. Article certainly allays many questions about his situation, ability, etc.

I personally think that the best RB on the Redskins is Roy Helu, of course he could nt stay healthy last season.

But if Helu's can stay healthy this year i do think he will get his share of carries.

He is a better receiver put of the backfield, he is a more explosive then Morris.

We shall see .

That's just absurd.

You can spin it however you want, but drafting Morris has it's risks. He's a non factor in the passing game and RG III's health could directly affect his production.

Writing off Roy Helu is a mistake. In his rookie year he had over a 1000 total yards/ 50 receptions and only 250 of those yards came in the FIRST EIGHT games. Helu is talented and if he's healthy he will take carries and play a huge part in the passing game.

Barring injury, I think Morris is a pick in the 10 - 15 range, non PPR, 15-20 in PPR.

Helu is a tiny RB. He is best used as a 3rd down option. Morris gets the bulk of the carries and all the GL work.

J

Barring injury, I think Morris is a pick in the 10 - 15 range, non PPR, 15-20 in PPR.

Helu is a tiny RB. He is best used as a 3rd down option. Morris gets the bulk of the carries and all the GL work.

J

Per wikipedia

Roy Helu 5' 11 215 pounds 4.42 40 yd dash

Alfred Morris 5' 10 219 pounds 4.67 40 yd dash

They are virtually the same size. How do you consider 215 small for a rb? Helu is FAR from small.

I have him Top 12 in PPR and closer to 8 in a non PPR.

Do you mean that the other way around? He only caught a handful of passes last year.

J

I was just watching the Redskins game, Helu doesn't even look small. Where did you get that he was small?

Him and Alfred Morris were actually only born 5 days apart.

If Helu is given the opportunity I would definitely watch out if I was Alfie. He is faster and the same size. Alfie may be a fighter but if there is an obviously more talented back on that team I don't see Alfie getting the vast majority of the touches, which is what he needs to succeed.

I was just watching the Redskins game, Helu doesn't even look small. Where did you get that he was small?

Him and Alfred Morris were actually only born 5 days apart.

Morris is actually older than LeSean McCoy which feels strange. Not really relevant to the Morris vs Helu discussion but I found it interesting none the less.

People can keep doubting him, but the guy is legit. Watch his highlights from last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y03-lYvJjE

He's perfect for the Shanny offense - patiently wait for the hole, make one cut, and go. He isn't known for his sprinter break away speed, but imo shows a lot of burst and acceleration through the hole. This isn't even mentioning how strong he is as a runner. He's the kind of runner that is always falling forward when tackled and requires more than one guy to bring him down.

Helu will be nothing more than a change of pace back that gets a handful of carries a game to spell morris and some third down plays, but Morris should still get 20 carries a game (and the goal-line work). I've read multiple sources that have said Morris has specifically been working on his pass catching. If he starts catching some passes, watch out. These blurbs (http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/players/updates/1254119) also mention that "He has also worked to put on some muscle. Per CBSSports.com Eye On Football blogger, Morris looks slimmer but says he's actually gained weight." He may be more powerful, yet faster this year...in a system that is known for producing huge numbers for RBs...a year after he rushed for 1600 yards...as a rookie...

Didn't helu have fumble issues? I remember him being in the doghouse at some point a year or two ago. Out of the top rbs Morris I think has some of the fewest worries.

Point blank. If helu is better he would be the starter. He's obviously not for one reason or another while Alfred Morris is the starter. Draft Morris with confidence. He will be a low end RB1 and you will be happy you drafted him

I think this article addresses each one of your concerns and pretty much says it all about this guy: http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-08-04/sports/41067289_1_alfred-morris-morris-s-washington-redskins

He'll be drafted as a top 5 back next year.

I dont think there is any way Shanahan benchs morris in favor of roy helu. When talking about the comparison between Terrell Davis and morris he said they are "the exact same." I cant see him lessining his carries any when he says something like that. And also to touch on the point of RG3 creating openings for morris, Shanahan always had success running the ball way before the read option was brought to the NFL and with mediocre backs at best. I think Morris can have continued success this year and can definately equate the numbers he had last year but probably with less yardage but more TDs. If the Redskins decide to go away from the read option this year(not entirely but cut down on it a bit), they will still have ways to successfully run the ball, its not like that was the only running play they had. I can definately see him being a top 5 back this year.

Morris may be a one hit wonder. He is NOT a product in any way of RGIII. He is a perfect fit for Shanny's rushing scheme. Every rush peaks at the line of scrimmage. Top 3 in carries, top 5 in yards, top 3 in TDs.

Morris is awesome. I'm not sure about his fantasy scoring since he has a limited role in the passing game, but if he can even creep up to 15-20 receptions, he'll close the yardage gap with some other RBs.

Michael Turner was still a top ten runner when he was in his prime, even in PPR leagues. Washington wants to run and he's gonna be the one doing it.

People can keep doubting him, but the guy is legit. Watch his highlights from last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y03-lYvJjE

He's perfect for the Shanny offense - patiently wait for the hole, make one cut, and go. He isn't known for his sprinter break away speed, but imo shows a lot of burst and acceleration through the hole. This isn't even mentioning how strong he is as a runner. He's the kind of runner that is always falling forward when tackled and requires more than one guy to bring him down.

Helu will be nothing more than a change of pace back that gets a handful of carries a game to spell morris and some third down plays, but Morris should still get 20 carries a game (and the goal-line work). I've read multiple sources that have said Morris has specifically been working on his pass catching. If he starts catching some passes, watch out. These blurbs (http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/players/updates/1254119) also mention that "He has also worked to put on some muscle. Per CBSSports.com Eye On Football blogger, Morris looks slimmer but says he's actually gained weight." He may be more powerful, yet faster this year...in a system that is known for producing huge numbers for RBs...a year after he rushed for 1600 yards...as a rookie...

Watching this, I was like "oh man, I can't wait for football season to start."

Also, those are some sweet highlights.

In the final 5 games of 2011 Roy Helu averaged 112 total yards per game, including week 17 when he only got 4 carries. At the end of 2011 he was the clear cut starter for 2012, then he got injured. Morris took full advantage.

People refused to believe in Arian Foster because he came out of nowhere and had a talented backup capable of producing huge numbers if given the opportunity. Oops.

I understand it's hard to trust the rat, but it's hard to deny last year's numbers and what you see on tape. Morris will be given every opportunity to build on last year's success. And I say that as someone who was lukewarm on Morris this year. But I've come to the conclusion he's one of the safer backs in the draft.

Morris may be a one hit wonder. He is NOT a product in any way of RGIII. He is a perfect fit for Shanny's rushing scheme. Every rush peaks at the line of scrimmage. Top 3 in carries, top 5 in yards, top 3 in TDs.

timmy smith > alf morris

Shanny rode overworked terell davis and ran him into the ground over a 3 year period... with a young qb coming off injury... i expect him to do the same with morris... if anything morris might be one of the safest picks at RB in non ppr this year.

I think we would have never heard of Morris if not for the injury to Helu last year. Things could get very interesting if Helu were able to get in there for some reason.

its easy to see why morris is in so much...great blocker. glad to see he gets the TD there, he deserved it. great cutback runner, perfect for the offense.