Sign in to follow this  
jkil22

Rolling with no Backup QB, bad Mojo?

I'm thinking about dropping Schaub who is my backup QB to Cam So I can grab and stash on my bench Joique Bell who I think is might breakout this year. Bad move to not have a backup QB?

Just be prepared for you to have to choose from not so great options at QB for Cams bye week. Schaub might not still be there and people (I would do it too) would pick up a qb just to stop you from having a viable starter that week if I played you or you were in the race for playoffs

If I draft a QB early, I'll assume that he will be my starter for the whole season. Then I won't waste a valuable draft pick on a backup. I'll just pick somebody up the week I need him. It usually works pretty well. If I have one of those years where I decide to wait on a QB, chances are that he won't be as stable and I'll draft a backup with the intent on playing the better matchup.

If you have a durable quarterback like Peyton Manning I wouldn't worry too much. If you had RGIII? Better not take a chance...

Nah, I do it all the time. Backup QB is wasted roster space IMO.

Unless of course you have a QB you are concerned might get hurt. If I had any of the running QB's ( RG3, Cam, Kaep, Wilson, Vick, etc.) I would most definitely have a backup, and a quality one at that.

Of course if you are in a big league (14 team+) then that is a whole different story I would guess having a backup QB is a must.

If you have a durable quarterback like Peyton Manning I wouldn't worry too much. If you had RGIII? Better not take a chance...

out of all the options you choose the 38 year old who missed the season not too long ago? :P

kind of depends on your league. 10 teams? maybe i don't grab a backup if i feel there will be something startable for my starters bye week but in a 12 team league, regardless who my starter is, i think im drafting a QB2. My reasoning is simple, you obviously thought highly enough of the QB position to take one early, do you really want an injury to Cam or whoever to completely derail your season as you scramble to add Jake Locker??

teams will absolutely cack block you

14 team league, 13 rounds draft...kept finding and finding great value, and then when i was ready to grab an Eli or Dalton, there was a backup qb run that round. I ended up with Cutler!

What that info has to do with this thread is beyond me, just wanted to share this amusing antedote. I guess I could add that I have no backup...

FML

What that info has to do with this thread is beyond me, just wanted to share this amusing antedote.

FML

Does it cure snake bites?

14 team league, 13 rounds draft...kept finding and finding great value, and then when i was ready to grab an Eli or Dalton, there was a backup qb run that round. I ended up with Cutler!

What that info has to do with this thread is beyond me, just wanted to share this amusing antedote. I guess I could add that I have no backup...

FML

Cutler may surprise this year. Not a bad backup at all IMO. He'll be chucking it a lot with Trestman running the show.

FML

same story - except I was stuck with Vick.

my wait-for-Romo plan backfired and he was snatched 2 picks ahead of me... so I waited and kept waiting and got Vick.

So - to tie it in with this thread... If I only had Cam, I'd be pretty happy. There is always a QB to pickup if needed. Really it comes down to how much you know/believe in Bell - and I'm no expert there.

I really believe that it depends on what size league you're in. Both of my money leagues are 10 man. So I stay away from backup qb's. I did draft Stafford and Luck, so I'm willing to risk the injury to my starter. Also in both leagues I did draft J. Bell at the end.

I didn't think anyone but noobs drafted a backup QB unless there was some high upside guy sitting there in round 13 that you couldn't pass up

Kinda depends on your league, mainly the number of teams, how deep your benches are and whether the other owners tend to hoard QBs.

Definitely do make sure you have a backup a week or two before the BYEs start. Otherwise you may end up missing out as people pick up QBs to fill their BYEs.

Nah, I do it all the time. Backup QB is wasted roster space IMO.

I play mostly in 12-teamers with 18-man rosters, but I'm adopting this mindset this year simply because I'm ending up with Peyton in the third round of my drafts more often than not. Last night I did an auction where I ended up with Wilson and I still don't draft a backup. I heard/read last night that 20 of 32 quarterbacks played all 16 games last year and I wouldn't expect that to go down. Furthermore, a guy like Romo led me to a championship game in one of my leagues last season and is probably an every-week starter - and he should be the worst regular fantasy starter at the position.

out of all the options you choose the 38 year old who missed the season not too long ago? :P

When Peyton starts a season he finishes it. Never misses a game.

Does it cure snake bites?

sometimes. and sometimes it tells tall tales. Fancy like that...

We play 12 team 16 man roster... I always draft a top 10 QB, one that has been consistent over a few years and never waste a roster spot on a back up. Use that spot for an extra RB or WR. You can always pick up a decent QB for your Bye week that has a great match up. If your QB goes down trade for one..

I hate the mid range dueling QB's working the match ups, your bench guy always seems to be the one that lights it up. Get a good QB and ride him out. For the first time in over 10 years or so I drafted a back up... Vick was sitting there in the 11th, grabbed him. Just traded him and Andre Brown (when we thought he would be back in 4 weeks) to a guy for Gore... love it

Yea its pretty much fantasy law that if you have 2 startable qbs, the other one will go off, doesnt matter how good the matchup is. That said, I have only RG3 on my roster and im nervous, but not that nervous.

sometimes. and sometimes it tells tall tales. Fancy like that...

ah, kind of like an anecdote :P

I'm thinking about dropping Schaub who is my backup QB to Cam So I can grab and stash on my bench Joique Bell who I think is might breakout this year. Bad move to not have a backup QB?

Very bad move. Cam gets hurt, someone has already snatched Schaub and now you have choices like Rivers, Ponder or Locker.

The back up is your insurance.

Never have had a back up, just pick up your backup a couple of weeks prior to the bye just to keep your opp from blocking. Also heading into the playoffs a couple of weeks prior.

I have Vick as my QB and I don't have a backup, because in the waiver wire, there are Jay, Schaub, Freeman, and Tannehill sitting there. I don't think any of them will win a championship for me, but they wouldn't kill my chance.

I play mostly in 12-teamers with 18-man rosters, but I'm adopting this mindset this year simply because I'm ending up with Peyton in the third round of my drafts more often than not. Last night I did an auction where I ended up with Wilson and I still don't draft a backup. I heard/read last night that 20 of 32 quarterbacks played all 16 games last year and I wouldn't expect that to go down. Furthermore, a guy like Romo led me to a championship game in one of my leagues last season and is probably an every-week starter - and he should be the worst regular fantasy starter at the position.

20 out of 32 is just over 60%, that's not that high IMO, unless most of them were just 1 or 2 games.

I agree with those saying depends on the league. If OP drops Schaub and there are already similar QB's out there like Palmer/Flacco/Bradford then go for it. But if the only other guys are Weeden and Locker than I'd probably hang onto Schaub IMO.

Interesting topic - several strategies to consider.

12 team redraft league HP scoring.

My personal strategy I am looking - I am drafting currently from the 7 spot in a online league. Went RB1, WR2, RB3, & Matt Ryan with my 4th pick - WR 5th pick.

Now that all the top receivers are gone - I do have one of them (Julio) - I am considering taking another top tier QB (Luck) with my 6th pick if he is there with the strategy being trade bate for a top tier receiver early in the season.......could come back to bite me in the ass but I feel it is a low risk with high end rewards as several teams in this league (3) have draft wr's with their top 3 picks.