Sign in to follow this  
BOBnugget

Trent Richardson Traded to Colts

We all can speculate on why they traded Richardson. This behind the scenes stuff is kind of funny. Richardson was clearly their best offensive player. Jordan is not the next anything and now with a third stringer at qb the sky is the limit yea right. All I know is that I can not remember the last time Cleveland made a good football decision. It is easy to see cause they have been a mediocre to a bad team since coming back to the nfl. This was a bad decision and whom ever they draft with the pick they get from Indy will not be consider even close to the talent they gave away.

Richardson has a career mark of 3.5 yards per carry and is always battling injuries. Maybe the Browns just totally fleeced Indy.

so this is what its like to be a browns fan?!?! wow... first round on me guys, let's drink. :(

After listening to the new Cleveland GM Lombardi on the Score radio in Chicago the last couple years, this guy knows his stuff...I was hoping the Bears would have replaced Angelo with him. This guy knows what he's doing, it's obviously a passing league and the Browns have no one. If they tank the rest of the year and get the first pick, hello Teddy...if not, then they can offer Jacksonville there #2 and whatever the Indy pick would be! :)

If I were a Cleveland fan (and I do have an office in Cleveland, but have yet to hear there thoughts), I'd be thrilled with this trade.

LOL... a glossy stack of 8x10's in a manila envelope delivered by some dude in a blue suit and cop shades totally comes to mind, anyone old enough to remember Rockford files??

Great show!

i'm rollin with rainey

The Browns picked up Rainey off waivers from the Ravens two weeks ago, and he was installed as Cleveland’s top kick returner. He averaged 25.8 yards on four kickoff returns against the Miami Dolphins in Week 1, but now will be expected to take on a much heavier offensive load.

While the team is preparing to sign Willis McGahee, Rainey is the only back familiar with Rob Chuzinskie’s offense, and should get at least 15-20 touches this week, especially with Brian Hoyer set to start in place of the injured Brandon Weeden.., grace

Richardson has a career mark of 3.5 yards per carry and is always battling injuries. Maybe the Browns just totally fleeced Indy.

+1

Not too mention Indy is about to go 1-2, who knows, Cleveland could have a nice pick to negotiate with...although now that I think about it, a healthy T-Rich and Luck in a weak AFC...could be looking good for Indy.

The trade probably works out best for both in the long run.

Most significant (in terms of fantasy impact) in season trade ever?

Portis was traded to the 'skins before the season right?

Really? I have to agree with IGW. The odds of him accomplishing significantly more with Indy than Cleveland are slim. I agree that the upside is there, I am just not sure he is the back that everyone wants him to be.

From a "dump him now while the pot is boiling" standpoint, this may be the greatest opportunity in recent FF history to unload a disappointing player and get something in return.

Really? I have to agree with IGW. The odds of him accomplishing significantly more with Indy than Cleveland are slim. I agree that the upside is there, I am just not sure he is the back that everyone wants him to be.

From a "dump him now while the pot is boiling" standpoint, this may be the greatest opportunity in recent FF history to unload a disappointing player and get something in return.

The odds of him accomplishing more in Indy are great. How are they slim? He has a team that can get into the redzone, who can beat teams deep and defenses can't crowd the line. This is the best thing that coul have happened to Trich owners this year. He has been running against 8 man front and last year did so while hurt. Now he is healthy and will go to a team that will kill defenses if they play 8 men in the box.

Workhorse RBs are a dying breed. It's a passing league and if you wanna compete you have to have a franchise QB. Cleveland was stupid to invest a top 5 pick in Richardson. You don't build around RB in today's NFL.

Cleveland realized this and took advantage of Indy's desperation. Cleveland was losing with TRich, so this move doesn't really hurt them short term. And is he really necessary if you want to build around a QB in a system that probably de-emphasizes the ground game.

I think it's a good move for both teams.

So word is he will be the 1st and 2nd down back with Bradshaw coming in on 3rd and potential passing downs.

Talking about killing 2 stud RB with one stone. This has huge ramification for this season's fantasy football. Are they MAD for making this trade???

Maybe it is time for the NFL to start random drug testing of GMs. :lol:

Best post ever!

Lombardi is a joke. I hope Trich goes off so Haslam will see what a focking idiot his GM is and fire him!

The odds of him accomplishing more in Indy are great. How are they slim?

Because maybe he is just not as good as you think he is? YPC has always been a pretty good barometer of a RB.

Workhorse RBs are a dying breed. It's a passing league and if you wanna compete you have to have a franchise QB. Cleveland was stupid to invest a top 5 pick in Richardson. You don't build around RB in today's NFL.

Cleveland realized this and took advantage of Indy's desperation. Cleveland was losing with TRich, so this move doesn't really hurt them short term. And is he really necessary if you want to build around a QB in a system that probably de-emphasizes the ground game.

I think it's a good move for both teams.

:thumbsup:

Not sure it was a good move for Indy though.

I think we are all missing the obvious outcome for 2014. The Browns use the Colts pick to draft a rb next year.

No, they'll use the #1 pick to select an over-rated Clowney at a position that they don't need at all. Then, they'll use the Indy pick (29 or so) to select a franchise QB and in a year they'll wonder why their franchise QB isn't panning out. Stupid Browns!

you all are so short sighted...

everyone can put down their abacus, this is clearly a move to corner the 2018 draft, the Browns are on track to own eleven picks in the first round where they will unleash their true mastery and draft the first ever franchise offense.. you wait and see Browns fan, just wait and see :)

Because maybe he is just not as good as you think he is? YPC has always been a pretty good barometer of a RB.

Sure good barometer when a team is worth a sheet. Hard to make any judgement about Richardson when he is running into a wall everytime. And last year did so whole being hurt. He will have a higher YPC in Indy, he will be their goal line back and he will have more opportunities to score goal line TD's. For Trich owners, he will be more valuable as a RB for Indy then he was in Cleveland. Now the question becomes, how much better.

The odds of him accomplishing more in Indy are great. How are they slim? He has a team that can get into the redzone, who can beat teams deep and defenses can't crowd the line. This is the best thing that coul have happened to Trich owners this year. He has been running against 8 man front and last year did so while hurt. Now he is healthy and will go to a team that will kill defenses if they play 8 men in the box.

This. I was jumping for joy when I heard the news. Good offense = more opportunities to score. Plain and simple.

Nobody playing for the browns can be judged until they play for a real nfl team. Unless you are AP, you are what your team lets you be and nothing more.

Also just heard coach say Trents gonna run on sunday, as much as he can handle. Guess they will have him all caught up on the offense enough to get some carrys.

• Like 1

Also just heard coach say Trents gonna run on sunday, as much as he can handle. Guess they will have him all caught up on the offense enough to get some carrys.

Where did you read that??

Personally, i think the Colts give up too much for a player that isn't 'special' in any way.

Jim Brown was correct in calling Richardson a 'good RB', but nothing 'special'.

Personally, i think the Colts give up too much for a player that isn't 'special' in any way.

Jim Brown was correct in calling Richardson a 'good RB', but nothing 'special'.

the browns initially made the mistake of drafting him top 3... they are semi-cutting-their-losses here, but let's not forget that flub... I feel the colts are only slightly reaching here... RB is their main need at the moment (and would've been in the 2014 draft presumably). I don't believe you can get a TRich type RB with the 24+ pick... not a great value, but a decent value here...

a 'going forward' win for the browns... and a 'right now' win for the colts IMO... obviously only time will tell

i'm rollin with rainey

The Browns picked up Rainey off waivers from the Ravens two weeks ago, and he was installed as Cleveland’s top kick returner. He averaged 25.8 yards on four kickoff returns against the Miami Dolphins in Week 1, but now will be expected to take on a much heavier offensive load.

While the team is preparing to sign Willis McGahee, Rainey is the only back familiar with Rob Chuzinskie’s offense, and should get at least 15-20 touches this week, especially with Brian Hoyer set to start in place of the injured Brandon Weeden.., grace

How about a source, chief?

Sure good barometer when a team is worth a sheet. Hard to make any judgement about Richardson when he is running into a wall everytime. And last year did so whole being hurt. He will have a higher YPC in Indy, he will be their goal line back and he will have more opportunities to score goal line TD's. For Trich owners, he will be more valuable as a RB for Indy then he was in Cleveland. Now the question becomes, how much better.

Adrian Peterson managed to excel under similar circumstances. Now granted Peterson is the best RB in the NFL, but aren't many people assuming TRich is in the same class or very close to it?

I agree the Colts paid too much. A 1st round pick for an RB is too much. Heck, the Colts only got a 2nd and a 5th for Marshall Faulk.

So word is he will be the 1st and 2nd down back with Bradshaw coming in on 3rd and potential passing downs.

Talking about killing 2 stud RB with one stone. This has huge ramification for this season's fantasy football. Are they MAD for making this trade???

This is probably just for the first week or two as Richardson gets up to speed on offensive plays. Running plays are the easiest to pick up. Passing plays and pass blocking can be a little more dififcult.

This is probably just for the first week or two as Richardson gets up to speed on offensive plays. Running plays are the easiest to pick up. Passing plays and pass blocking can be a little more dififcult.

I would say you will see 10 touches for T-rich this week, maybe 15 next and then a full blown bell cow by mid season.. huge hit to bradshaw owners (like myself) :doh:

I would say you will see 10 touches for T-rich this week, maybe 15 next and then a full blown bell cow by mid season.. huge hit to bradshaw owners (like myself) :doh:

did you cut bradshaw already? debating what to do with him.....

Coach Chuck Pagano said that newly acquired Trent Richardson will play in Sunday's game at San Francisco.

When asked how much Richardson will play in Week 3, Pagano said, "As much as he can handle." The Colts didn't give up a first-round pick to let Richardson idle behind Ahmad Bradshaw. The playbook at the running back position is among the easiest to pick up, meaning T-Rich could see the majority of early-down work right away. He does have a brutal matchup, but he's still on the flex radar. "This guy is a rolling ball of butcher knives," Pagano said of Richardson. "He fits our scheme to a T."

Hoyer is starting and they want TR to save their running soul ASAP... link not necessary to know that much, I found it on accident while trying to refresh my browser since TR kept coming up with a big blue horseshoe by his head.

IND is on the clock of fail, but it's not known if they did fail yet... was it a reach, or smooth cuz TR will fit their system... unknown today.

plus I gotta confess, I doubt I was the only pissed at having to start A Bradshaw the rest of the season.... bwahahahaaahhaa

CLE is fail... they blew it on the pick that brought TR, then the trade that sent him packing.. the investment in 2014 with the same hopes and dreams they already owned in 2010... the same expectation that THIS time is gonna be different. SSDD is what I hear from cubicle dwellers all the time, it really applies here..... Cleveland, now a French word that means fail.

Only 4 RBs in the league with 100 carries (out of 42) had a worse YPC than TRich. Many of them played for teams as bad or worse than Cleveland. Low YPC is generally a trait of RBs who cannot hit the homerun. So far, Richardson is that guy. I see RBBC.

Adrian Peterson managed to excel under similar circumstances. Now granted Peterson is the best RB in the NFL, but aren't many people assuming TRich is in the same class or very close to it?

I don't think TRich is AP's class. But I do think he's a good enough RB1 on a good team. And all I really care about is the stats he puts up, not how good he theoretically is on a bad team vs. a good team.

I don't think TRich is AP's class. But I do think he's a good enough RB1 on a good team. And all I really care about is the stats he puts up, not how good he theoretically is on a bad team vs. a good team.

Well that's pretty silly. If TRich is merely a "good" RB who can produce under the right circumstances, then he sure as hell isn't worth s first rounder. Especially in today's passing league. Such RBs practically grow on trees.

Well that's pretty silly. If TRich is merely a "good" RB who can produce under the right circumstances, then he sure as hell isn't worth s first rounder. Especially in today's passing league. Such RBs practically grow on trees.

That's not my problem what Indy gives up. I only care about the fantasy production.

Trent wasn't playing on some 3rd downs in Cleveland so far this year and ProFootballfocus has him giving up 5 pressures in pass blocking in 2 games most for a RB so far. He doesn't seem to be a very good blocker while Bradshaw has been great at it for his career..

They won't let Trent get Luck killed, if he doesn't get better at blocking Bradshaw will be stealing passing plays.

Trent wasn't playing on some 3rd downs in Cleveland so far this year and ProFootballfocus has him giving up 5 pressures in pass blocking in 2 games most for a RB so far. He doesn't seem to be a very good blocker while Bradshaw has been great at it for his career..

They won't let Trent get Luck killed, if he doesn't get better at blocking Bradshaw will be stealing passing plays.

Maybe. But I highly doubt the Colts gave up a 1st round pick thinking they got a 2 down back.

Maybe. But I highly doubt the Colts gave up a 1st round pick thinking they got a 2 down back.

Yeah, nothing's been said here that the Colts didn't already know. His low ypc....injuries......pass pro......etc. the fact is they traded one of the most coveted commodities in the NFL in a first round pick for Richardson. They're all in on him.

It sounds like they want to run to set up the pass. Once Ballard went down, they realized there was no way Bradshaw was going to support the running game himself....so they made a move for a guy who can.

He's going to be given every opportunity to succeed in that offense.

I'm flabbergasted! Someone else understands that pass protection, receiving and ball security are the special traits that are required by a RB in today's NFL. Lots of guys can run. That's why guys who we never heard of in college are playing on NFL rosters and many college superstars are headed the way of Mark Ingram. It's why a guy like Moreno appeared to be on his way out of the league until he worked on his pass protect skills.

It's a passing league. Get the QB hit and you're not going to play much. If you think that applies to the likes of Brandon Weeden, think how much more it applies to Andrew Luck.

If he'll do the work, he'll likely be fine. So far, the question is if he is willing to do the work.