Sign in to follow this  
edjr

42 ACL injuries in the NFL this year.

Knee injuries up, concussions not down.

Good job on the rule changes NFL

Don't head hunt, but take out the knee.

FYI gronk not only shredded his knee yesterday, but also a concussion.

• Like 1

Yeah the money is great in the nfl but man it must suck having trouble getting out of bed and walking in the morning.

Why don't they play two hand touch?

Isn't it already for Quarterbacks?

I have a better idea. no more steroids.

The whole thing's ridiculous, I agree.

No one on tv or radio or in the NFL will admit it though.

Meanwhile, the insane calls on penalties are killing league competitiveness.

Hit on Gronk had nothing to do with avoiding a head shot.

Always go low on guys that much bigger than you...hit them in the hip/thigh and they go down easier than trying to hit them high. Sucks when they take it on the knee for sure...but just a terrible conclusion to draw that this happened because of some NFL rules.

Most of these hits that have taken out an ACL (some of them were not even due to hits).

Pretty big fail.

Football is going to be history eventually, it's a question of "when" not "if".

So football wich has the best ratings on Tv will be history but UFC fighting wich is on pay per view is rising? NFL football isnt going anywhere. these guys would be working at mcdonalds without the nfl and are more than happy to make millions and get white girls on their johnson 3 times a night. U could break my legs once a year and id take that.

So football wich has the best ratings on Tv will be history but UFC fighting wich is on pay per view is rising? NFL football isnt going anywhere. these guys would be working at mcdonalds without the nfl and are more than happy to make millions and get white girls on their johnson 3 times a night. U could break my legs once a year and id take that.

You appear to suffer from short-sightedness

You appear to suffer from short-sightedness

The highest rated shows on tv arent going anywhere. I could go on about marketing and ad revenue and how every thought you and I think is directly put in our heads by advertising and marketing firms wether u agree with that or not.

Owners dont care about atheletes getting hurt, its a small price to pay for fame and fortune they care about the billions they make, same with network heads. Whats short sighted? Im talkin as long term as it gets...like forever.

The highest rated shows on tv arent going anywhere. I could go on about marketing and ad revenue and how every thought you and I think is directly put in our heads by advertising and marketing firms wether u agree with that or not.

Owners dont care about atheletes getting hurt, its a small price to pay for fame and fortune they care about the billions they make, same with network heads. Whats short sighted? Im talkin as long term as it gets...like forever.

Jousting was very popular one time too. Chariot races were all the rage a while back also.

Hit on Gronk had nothing to do with avoiding a head shot.

Always go low on guys that much bigger than you...hit them in the hip/thigh and they go down easier than trying to hit them high. Sucks when they take it on the knee for sure...but just a terrible conclusion to draw that this happened because of some NFL rules.

Most of these hits that have taken out an ACL (some of them were not even due to hits).

Pretty big fail.

"You hit him high he's gonna break your back. He breaks your back, he's gonna break the superstars back. .."

Jousting was very popular one time too. Chariot races were all the rage a while back also.

C0ck fighting, gladiator games, the list goes on and on

These types of stats are completely ridiculous by themselves without further explanation. Ok, 42 ACL injuries this year. Not all of those injuries are because of people targeting knees like Gronkowski's injury.

How many of these injuries are offensive linemen that were rolled up on in a pile? (ie: Luke Joeckel)

How many of these injuries are because on non contact? (ie: Reggie Wayne)

How many of these injuries are a result of a freak play? (ie: Tyrann Mathieu)

I just named only three guys this season as an example, but that's already 7% of the ACL injuries this year. Injuries happen...yes they suck, but honestly, stop whining

These types of stats are completely ridiculous by themselves without further explanation. Ok, 42 ACL injuries this year. Not all of those injuries are because of people targeting knees like Gronkowski's injury.

How many of these injuries are offensive linemen that were rolled up on in a pile? (ie: Luke Joeckel)

I just named only three guys this season as an example, but that's already 7% of the ACL injuries this year. Injuries happen...yes they suck, but honestly, stop whining

and as I stated...the Gronk one had nothing to do with trying to avoid hitting him in the head.

Guys have been going low on bigger guys for a long long time and will continue doing it.

and as I stated...the Gronk one had nothing to do with trying to avoid hitting him in the head.

Guys have been going low on bigger guys for a long long time and will continue doing it.

I personally see nothing wrong with it and agree with you wholeheartedly. How many times in an NFL game do people go low at a running back's knees? The ONLY reason it's getting so much attention is because Gronkowski is a household name, particularly in fantasy football. If Matthew Mulligan got his knees taken out nobody on this board or any other board would say a word, and I guarantee an idiot like Merrill Hodges wouldn't be voicing his stupid opinions. It's all about percentages, and for the most part, it's miniscule at best considering the amount of hits given throughout the course of the NFL season.

42 ACL injuries thus far this season.

In 2011, according to StatsPass.com, confirmed ACL injuries sent 25 players to injured reserve. The figure was 32 in 2012. Those numbers do not include players who suffered a torn ACL but were waived/injured rather than placed on injured reserve.

I heard an interesting take on the ACL injuries a few months back. Pretty sure it was Rich Gannon.

His theory was that the rigorous & year-round conditioning/training was at fault. He believed that the muscles & ligaments of today's athletes don't get enough rest, resulting in much more rigid bodies. This rigidity then results in more injuries due to the inability of the muscles to give way during less strenuous movements & thus the increased rate (or perceived increased rate).

I'm not saying this is the answer but it seemed like an original thought & something of substance.

I wouldn't doubt it Greeny. It's amazing to me that these freaks of nature are as fast and as big as they are.

That should only serve to prove that violent sports aren't going anywhere.

Let's not forget why the NFL is doing this, they have a bunch of former players coming after them for $$.

Now, even today concussions are not well understood, and before 5-6 years ago they were largely ignored and unknown.

So the NFL has to react to the reality of the situation, and take action to protect itself from litigation. If the current players are upset by what is happening, they need to go have a chat with the former players who sought to cash out and created the circumstance through their own actions.

We need to get back to leather helmets and hotboxing Lucky Strikes while not wearing seatbelts in the car on the way to games and eating apples doused in DDT sauce :thumbsup:

Someone sounds jealous. Would it make you feel better if I told you I have the same problem? Only difference is I don't play in the NFL? :D

• Like 1

Baseball fans would have said the same no more than 50 years ago. That's not that long.

NASCAR had growth unrivaled by anything just a few years ago. Now, major sponsors are gone, viewership

and attendance down dramatically.

Boxing out drew everything in it's time. Then big, strong kids relaized they didn't have to get punched in the head to capitalize on their size and athletic ability.

To everything it's day. Parents are steering their kids away from football and that does not bode well for the long term health of the game. You may not understand this, but the NFL does. It's exactly why they're trying, to this point unsuccessfully, to break into the European market. If we aren't going to grow new fans at home, we have to find them elsewhere. So far, the rest of the world remains indifferent.

Baseball fans would have said the same no more than 50 years ago. That's not that long.

NASCAR had growth unrivaled by anything just a few years ago. Now, major sponsors are gone, viewership

and attendance down dramatically.

Boxing out drew everything in it's time. Then big, strong kids relaized they didn't have to get punched in the head to capitalize on their size and athletic ability.

To everything it's day. Parents are steering their kids away from football and that does not bode well for the long term health of the game. You may not understand this, but the NFL does. It's exactly why they're trying, to this point unsuccessfully, to break into the European market. If we aren't going to grow new fans at home, we have to find them elsewhere. So far, the rest of the world remains indifferent.

Baseball has been ruined by the MLBPA to the point where the league is complete joke, aside from the fact that UMP's allow cheating to go on unabated and the game is slow and painful to watch.

NASCAR has put so many rules in place that it too is now silly to watch.

Boxing eventually succumb to the rampant corruption and manipulation, with the rawness of UFC slaming the coffin lid (for now)

Football is trying to protect its interests, but in order to do so it really has to do some things to the consternation of its fans.

If only the NCAA would committ mass suicide and leave college sports alone, oh how wonderous that would be!!!

Offense: hard helmets

Defense: soft helmets

Defense will stop using their helmets as a point of attack, and tackle like old school football. Problem solved.

Offense: hard helmets

Defense: soft helmets

Defense will stop using their helmets as a point of attack, and tackle like old school football. Problem solved.

That might be even worse, the former players were suing the NFL for not stopping them from being so stupid as to endanger their own health, if the NFL knowingly did something like that they would really be open to litigation.

Who knows, maybe one day the players can sue for ache's and pain's as well...

That might be even worse, the former players were suing the NFL for not stopping them from being so stupid as to endanger their own health, if the NFL knowingly did something like that they would really be open to litigation.

Who knows, maybe one day the players can sue for ache's and pain's as well...

The players are suing because the NFL downplayed the risks and funded fraudulent counter-research to make it sound like concussions were a-okay.

I love the sport, I think violence is always going to be a fundamental part of football and I think players today who do know the risks won't have much of a case if they suffer long term health consequences.

Players not too long ago who were sent by team "doctors" back into games after being concussed etc have a legit grievance if the NFL knew the risks or actively tried to downplay any potential risks and it sounds like they did.

The players are suing because the NFL downplayed the risks and funded fraudulent counter-research to make it sound like concussions were a-okay.

I love the sport, I think violence is always going to be a fundamental part of football and I think players today who do know the risks won't have much of a case if they suffer long term health consequences.

Players not too long ago who were sent by team "doctors" back into games after being concussed etc have a legit grievance if the NFL knew the risks or actively tried to downplay any potential risks and it sounds like they did.

I have specific knowledge about concussions and I can tell you that only recently has enough information about the injury come available to know what you are asserting. And even now there is very little understood about the injury. It is easy to suggest that the doctors should have known more in the sixties and seventies, and even the eighties, but they simply did not.

Baseball has been ruined by the MLBPA to the point where the league is complete joke, aside from the fact that UMP's allow cheating to go on unabated and the game is slow and painful to watch.

NASCAR has put so many rules in place that it too is now silly to watch.

Boxing eventually succumb to the rampant corruption and manipulation, with the rawness of UFC slaming the coffin lid (for now)

Football is trying to protect its interests, but in order to do so it really has to do some things to the consternation of its fans.

If only the NCAA would committ mass suicide and leave college sports alone, oh how wonderous that would be!!!

Which just serves to validate my point, which is that over time the attitude that "we're untouchable" has resulted in the demise of all these sports.

Why should the NFL care if players get ACL tears, etc during the season? No lawsuits for those...yet. Until there are, they will be a preferable way to get injured during a game over concussions. Also, it allows the NFL to bring in more and more new talent each year at a reduced rate. Weed-out overpriced vets and hire new kids with salary restrictions. Win-win. QBs are the main players they need for name recognition/jersey sales and they protect them as well as they can.

I have specific knowledge about concussions and I can tell you that only recently has enough information about the injury come available to know what you are asserting. And even now there is very little understood about the injury. It is easy to suggest that the doctors should have known more in the sixties and seventies, and even the eighties, but they simply did not.

Watch the Frontline documentary on the NFL and concussions. They had proof years and years ago but actively worked to obscure the research

Why should the NFL care if players get ACL tears, etc during the season? No lawsuits for those...yet. Until there are, they will be a preferable way to get injured during a game over concussions. Also, it allows the NFL to bring in more and more new talent each year at a reduced rate. Weed-out overpriced vets and hire new kids with salary restrictions. Win-win. QBs are the main players they need for name recognition/jersey sales and they protect them as well as they can.

I think many people don't really understand the basis of the concussion suits. It's not simply for the fact that the players got injured. Players know that injuries are a part of the game so they have "assumed the risk" for that.

But to assume a risk, you first have to know of it. The NFL knew of the risk of concussions for a long time but the players did not, because the NFL actively worked to obscure the risks. THAT is the basis of the suit and I doubt you could make the same case for things like knee injuries.

You are deliberately missing my point. :doh:

I'm not saying the NFL should have known the risks associated with head injury. I'm saying they may be liable for promoting faulty research and distributing literature to plays downplaying the possible effects of concussion.

Not protecting players when you don't know there's a threat is one thing. Telling players "There is no threat" is another.

You are deliberately missing my point. :doh:

I'm not saying the NFL should have known the risks associated with head injury. I'm saying they may be liable for promoting faulty research and distributing literature to plays downplaying the possible effects of concussion.

Not protecting players when you don't know there's a threat is one thing. Telling players "There is no threat" is another.

This.^. If faced with a choice between admitting evil or admitting stupid, it's always best to go with stupid. Now that they can't claim stupid anymore, they have a major problem.