Sign in to follow this  
MDC

Geeks with kids

What was / is your favorite age? :dunno:

My boy turns 2 next month and I'm enjoying him more and more, he's steadier on his feet and takes less constant supervision and getting old enough where it's fun to take him out to the zoo or the park. I'm really looking forward to post diapers but pre school - 4-5 seems like the best. The boy is talking a lot but its mostly babbles around the 75-100 or so words so I want to know what he's trying to say and I expect thy age will be a lot easier than managing a toddler.

Did you have a favorite age?

No, they've all been great at any age. (<7, 5, and 6 months)

Also, we never experienced the 'terrible twos' the first two times through. Hopefully you keep on this trajectory and don't either.

Infant thru 2 was toughest so far.

4 to 6 is awesome, magical kid years.

My oldest is now 8 - school sports, plays, recitals, report cards, etc all pretty cool - you see them becoming an individual and achieving.

I seem to enjoy my kids more and more as they get older. They are 15, 13 and 11. Each age offers different challenges but it's pretty cool to see them grow.

It has all been great. I said that the infants are easy because they are still where you left them last.

They are so cute as toddlers. I would put one of the girls on my back and chase my son around the house yelling "get that boy". Good times. At Christmas when they opened their presents, I would get a larger box and have the kids jump in the box and I would pull them around on the floor in a figure eight. I could whip them around pretty fast and they loved it. If they tumbled out, they scrambled back in in a flash for more fun.

I am very proud that now that my kids are older that they want me to be included in their activities. I took my girls to a She & Him concert last year and it was just like going with friends. My oldest girl away at college emails me stuff about nature and we go back and forth talking about it. My son wanted me to go to the shooting range with his friends. He wanted to go have lunch with my mom and dad last week. My dad gave him a tool box that his mom used when she was a riveter, putting together B-24's during WWII. It was really special to him.

If I wanted to biotch about something, it is getting them behind the wheel of a car when they are teenagers. My son crashed into a curb in a one car smash up that I managed to get off the streets before the cops got evolved. My oldest girl pulled out in front of another car. I think the final final settlement was around $110K. The insurance covered it, but we are not exactly popular with them. Now I have another girl about to turn 16. She is the worse driver of the three. I don't know if we should incorporate to protect our assets or divorce and split up the car titles so as to not get completely wiped out together.

Overall, I can say that me, as a self centered individual, have come to realize that the best thing I ever did was have those kids.

• Like 1

Funny you posted this today. I was the dad who watched my girl (now almost 14) grow into who she's becoming,from behind a camera. Every memorable event in her life I recorded. Watched her coming home at two days old through a lens. First words. First steps. First bath in the sink. First dog. First house. First everything. She was my sack of potatoes. Couldn't wait for her to emerge and learn. And I was ready to film it all.

Fast forward a few years. The terrible twos sucked. But by the time she was almost four, she rocked. Four to ten were the greatest days of my life. She was a Daddy's girl through and through. Momma Bunny was jealous through and through.

When she was six, all I wanted to do was hug and kiss her. That's when Katrina hit. The love that she gave me was the only thing that motivated me. Anyway!

Five or six is the best. They comprehend and get who you are and why you are in their life. They understand love and you. Your their world, just as they're your world. It's the best of both worlds.

One piece of advice; Enjoy it while it last brother. You blink your eyes for a second, and it's gone. And you wake up one morning feeling great about the world that has been yours for all those years only to see that it's revolving around a different set of doors that you don't have all the keys to.

• Like 1

Oh, I forgot to add this. Sent all of my videos to a computer guy that downloaded all of the old VHS, Sony Tapes, and mini CDs to DVD format for the family to watch. Sweet!

It has all been great. I said that the infants are easy because they are still where you left them last.

They are so cute as toddlers. I would put one of the girls on my back and chase my son around the house yelling "get that boy". Good times. At Christmas when they opened their presents, I would get a larger box and have the kids jump in the box and I would pull them around on the floor in a figure eight. I could whip them around pretty fast and they loved it. If they tumbled out, they scrambled back in in a flash for more fun.

I am very proud that now that my kids are older that they want me to be included in their activities. I took my girls to a She & Him concert last year and it was just like going with friends. My oldest girl away at college emails me stuff about nature and we go back and forth talking about it. My son wanted me to go to the shooting range with his friends. He wanted to go have lunch with my mom and dad last week. My dad gave him a tool box that his mom used when she was a riveter, putting together B-24's during WWII. It was really special to him.

If I wanted to biotch about something, it is getting them behind the wheel of a car when they are teenagers. My son crashed into a curb in a one car smash up that I managed to get off the streets before the cops got evolved. My oldest girl pulled out in front of another car. I think the final final settlement was around $110K. The insurance covered it, but we are not exactly popular with them. Now I have another girl about to turn 16. She is the worse driver of the three. I don't know if we should incorporate to protect our assets or divorce and split up the car titles so as to not get completely wiped out together.

Overall, I can say that me, as a self centered individual, have come to realize that the best thing I ever did was have those kids.

That's some inspirational stuff right there. As a soon-to-be new parent I appreciate this :thumbsup:

But dude, if you're youngest is really that bad, maybe you should keep her from getting behind the wheel? Money aside, she could seriously hurt someone including herself :(

That's some inspirational stuff right there. As a soon-to-be new parent I appreciate this :thumbsup:

:(

It's not yours it's mine. :wave:

No really wormy got Mrs Worms pregnant ??

:cheers:

• Like 1

Funny you posted this today. I was the dad who watched my girl (now almost 14) grow into who she's becoming,from behind a camera. Every memorable event in her life I recorded. Watched her coming home at two days old through a lens. First words. First steps. First bath in the sink. First dog. First house. First everything. She was my sack of potatoes. Couldn't wait for her to emerge and learn. And I was ready to film it all.

Fast forward a few years. The terrible twos sucked. But by the time she was almost four, she rocked. Four to ten were the greatest days of my life. She was a Daddy's girl through and through. Momma Bunny was jealous through and through.

When she was six, all I wanted to do was hug and kiss her. That's when Katrina hit. The love that she gave me was the only thing that motivated me. Anyway!

Five or six is the best. They comprehend and get who you are and why you are in their life. They understand love and you. Your their world, just as they're your world. It's the best of both worlds.

One piece of advice; Enjoy it while it last brother. You blink your eyes for a second, and it's gone. And you wake up one morning feeling great about the world that has been yours for all those years only to see that it's revolving around a different set of doors that you don't have all the keys to.

All of this is true. Take pictures! Take too many. Take pictures of the stupid boring things they do, as well as the holidays, sports, and recitals. They'll all he great memories one day.
  • Like 1

My son is 2 months old and he is my first. I love every single second of every single day with him. I find myself wanting to call into work sick so I can hang out with him or not going out anywhere because he is at home. after being a lifelong stoner I have smoked 2 times since he has been born because I want to see him and remember the little things. every day I wake up and bound out of bed to his to snatch him up and play with him. Being a father has made me happier that I could have ever dreamed.

My kids (12, 10) are heading out of the fun times. Once they get to be teenagers, they don't like to spend time with their parents or even talk with their parents. Right now, I can have a conversation with them and they actually want to do stuff with us. They are also old enough that we can do all sorts of things together that aren't possible when they are real young. They can also go off on their own and you don't worry as much as when they are less than, say 7.

Have 2 and 4(today) yr old boys and they are a blast. Wrestling with them all the time, chasing them around the house in circles pretneding I'm a shark, and starting to do more fun stuff like baseball, soccer, bigger puzzles, watching star wars, etc with the 4 yr old

But dude, if you're youngest is really that bad, maybe you should keep her from getting behind the wheel? Money aside, she could seriously hurt someone including herself :(

Congrats, as far as I know, you're up next. We had three back-to-back-to-back ones with edjr, myself, and kilroy but it's been quiet since then.

It's not yours it's mine. :wave:

No really wormy got Mrs Worms pregnant ??

:cheers:

Yup, got a little guy due this fall :cheers:

Oh, her older sister drove on the wrong side of the yellow line the last time I rode with her. The youngest is taking lessons and I am hoping for some improvement.

Hard to pick when was the favorite.

Can tell you the least favorite stage for both was around 3. Take the tantrums of the "terrible 2s" and add in that they think they know logic and can talk better to argue.

I dig their ages now...coaching my son's soccer and basketball teams. Daughter getting interested in dance. Both kids doing very well in school.

Few more years I will be happy my son can take over mowing the grass...that will become my new favorite age.

Hard to pick when was the favorite.

Can tell you the least favorite stage for both was around 3. Take the tantrums of the "terrible 2s" and add in that they think they know logic and can talk better to argue.

I dig their ages now...coaching my son's soccer and basketball teams. Daughter getting interested in dance. Both kids doing very well in school.

Few more years I will be happy my son can take over mowing the grass...that will become my new favorite age.

It is somewhat bittersweet. Good that you don't have to mow the lawn, but I like sitting on the tractor and not have anyone with the ability to come near me for an hour or so.

I have 3 (13, 12 and 9) and they do get better and better as time goes by. The age they are in now has always been my favorite.

The first couple of years can be tough, but watching your babies learn to crawl, speak their first words, etc are memories that stay with you. I don't miss the diapers or carrying all the baby stuff around, but the rest of it was fun. They get excited for Christmas or just going out somewhere. Everything is new to them and you experience it with them.

When they moved to the 5 and 6 range, my boys started playing ball and my daughter began dance. They became a new and improved version of the same kids. Now we played ball together. My daughter and I do a dance every year. You also spend time teaching them or helping with their school.

My boys hitting teenage years hasn't be a problem at all. The oldest is noticing girls. My other boy and I talk like friends. If anything, he makes me feel like a 12 year old all over again.

Yes, they are a lot of work. You do have to discipline them and you do have to be involved in their lives. But it is well worth it. I've heard come complain about how hard it is to raise kids or their kids are problems. It's really not that tough. Spend a little time with them, teach them and correct them when they make a mistake. It's not rocket science. You'll want to relive every moment while looking forward to the ones to come.

MDC, yes, 4 - 5 is fun and look forward to it. But they can be even more fun down the road. And all the while, you still look back fondly on when he was two.

It is somewhat bittersweet. Good that you don't have to mow the lawn, but I like sitting on the tractor and not have anyone with the ability to come near me for an hour or so.

Nobody but me mows my lawn. That's my hour or so. You can paint my wifes fence though.

Wyatt is 20 months and is a complete daddy's boy. He adore his older brother, so so lovable, laughs constantly, but also can throw the WORST tantrums if he doesn't get his way... terrible pre-two's, they exist. I think they make them so cute and adorable at this age, because it counteracts how awful acting they can be. Owen is almost 4 and this so far is the best age I think. I love every stage and age, I take pictures everyday of them. I love them to death, but to have him turning into a little mini-man with thoughts and feelings that he can express, and not having to change is diaper is awesome. He also makes me check myself, my actions and my words, because he is a sponge and soaks up everything. For example, we pulled him from his $$$ private Daycare and put him and his brother in a in-home daycare to cut down on expenses. He hates it and tells me it everyday. I said "I'm sorry baby, we don;t have enough money to send you there right now, but soon." So every time he sees a penny, dime, quarter, he grabs it and says, "look mommy, we almost have enough to go back to children's lighthouse."

Needless to say... I've re-enrolled him and am putting his brother into this private school, and am no longer indulging in massages, nails, shopping, etc. Kids make you see what is important, even if you don't want too.

It gets much better when they are potty trained and can wipe their own ass.

it doesn't bother me.

besides, I had my 1st at 40, payback is coming

Wyatt is 20 months and is a complete daddy's boy. He adore his older brother, so so lovable, laughs constantly, but also can throw the WORST tantrums if he doesn't get his way... terrible pre-two's, they exist. I think they make them so cute and adorable at this age, because it counteracts how awful acting they can be. Owen is almost 4 and this so far is the best age I think. I love every stage and age, I take pictures everyday of them. I love them to death, but to have him turning into a little mini-man with thoughts and feelings that he can express, and not having to change is diaper is awesome. He also makes me check myself, my actions and my words, because he is a sponge and soaks up everything. For example, we pulled him from his $$$ private Daycare and put him and his brother in a in-home daycare to cut down on expenses. He hates it and tells me it everyday. I said "I'm sorry baby, we don;t have enough money to send you there right now, but soon." So every time he sees a penny, dime, quarter, he grabs it and says, "look mommy, we almost have enough to go back to children's lighthouse."

Needless to say... I've re-enrolled him and am putting his brother into this private school, and am no longer indulging in massages, nails, shopping, etc. Kids make you see what is important, even if you don't want too.

You won't last here very long if you make reference to 'not having enough money right now'. To post here, you must be rolling in money, be the smartest person in your town, and bench press 400 pounds. (You're a female, so 200 pounds is fine). ;)

Also, great job making the sacrifices for the kids. :thumbsup:

Sacrifices?

I went golfing both saturday and sunday this past weekend.

I work all focking week and DJ gigs on weekends.

baby momma works weekends as a bartender,

Not only do I pay for golf, I also pay for someone to babysit.

Going to be an expensive summer for this guy.

You won't last here very long if you make reference to 'not having enough money right now'. To post here, you must be rolling in money, be the smartest person in your town, and bench press 400 pounds. (You're a female, so 200 pounds is fine). ;)

Also, great job making the sacrifices for the kids. :thumbsup:

Thank Newbie :wave: By the way "I" make loads and loads of money, drive the newest and fastest car, have DDD's and can squat 200Ibs, I already know I'm the . :first:

Thank Newbie :wave: By the way "I" make loads and loads of money, drive the newest and fastest car, have DDD's and can squat 200Ibs, I already know I'm the ######. :first:

You'll always be ##### in my book. :banana:

Thank Newbie :wave: By the way "I" make loads and loads of money, drive the newest and fastest car, have DDD's and can squat 200Ibs, I already know I'm the ######. :first:

we know you can squat 200 pounds, you get out of bed don't you?

POW!

• Like 1

I love seeing the world through their eyes - Disney World probably does suxor... but through their eyes, it's amazing, so I love it too...

Since everyone's getting all sappy and sharing, here's a video I made with my kids a month or so ago... they love this song, and we had a blast making it. The best age? I guess it's "right now" and I hope it's always "right now"

• Like 2

:dunno:

The leaching fock still lives at home.

I'll let you know within the next 1-3 years what the best age is.....if not sooner.

Boys 15 and 12.

For me the moment things got easier was when they both could get in and out if the car on their own.

Then it got easier when they made their own breakfast and lunch.

The best came when we can leave them home alone !! That was pinnacle.

I am lucky where as FatPat mentioned I know soon they will not want to hang with us and we are lucky they still do. We still do tons of stuff together (and on the other hand they can be ok on their own if we want some space - well the older one more then the younger one - he is going to be a handful)

Enjoy it all and I have to listen to said advice I do not take nearly as much pictures as I should be.

With my kids, I expect every year will be great. I have no complaints about any of them thus far.

Maybe...but I have the gym and my running for that.

Not sure when it will happen anyway as bad as his allergies flare up in the spring.

I love seeing the world through their eyes - Disney World probably does suxor... but through their eyes, it's amazing, so I love it too...

Since everyone's getting all sappy and sharing, here's a video I made with my kids a month or so ago... they love this song, and we had a blast making it. The best age? I guess it's "right now" and I hope it's always "right now"

Very cool...taking it you went to Disney sometime near October/Halloween?

Sho - we did. We've been a few times but we were there this past Oct. You may recall my GTG entry.

My son dressed up as Mickey one night, his idea, and it was a hit. Most kids are pirates - he was the only Mickey and they LOVED him. Mickey and Minnie grabbed an attendant and stopped the freakin light parade to go over to him.

Reminds me of me- a girl and boy about the same ages as my two oldest -a daughter closing in on 7 soon and a 5 y/o son- (I know you said your daughter is 8).

yeah Volty, she's 8... she's smart and sweet, a bit shy outside the house. A mother hen to my son though.

My boy? He's crazy fun - fearless, active, and very loving. Always dressed in costumes - sports, pirates, Mickey, or even copycatting me.

Sho - we did. We've been a few times but we were there this past Oct. You may recall my GTG entry.

My son dressed up as Mickey one night, his idea, and it was a hit. Most kids are pirates - he was the only Mickey and they LOVED him. Mickey and Minnie grabbed an attendant and stopped the freakin light parade to go over to him.

Thats right.

Cool on the light parade thing.

We went in 2012 for the Halloween stuff.

I don't recall what costume my daughter wore (we buy a bunch the few days after Halloween and the kids just end up putting things on all the time...might have been like the yellow or pink power ranger or something).

My son and I were both skeletons...and my wife had a really good Minnie Mouse costume that came from my sister in law.

Wish I would have gotten the good shot of he and I on the Buzz Lightyear ride...we pulled our masks down right at the right time for the picture on that ride...but never bought the picture or got it saved or whatever.

We had candy from that night for a long long time too.

Probably the coolest fireworks show at the MK that I have seen as well.

Just bigger than the normal one.

• Like 1