Sign in to follow this  
Phurfur

EDUCATION New York mom fuming after daughter gets school letter calling her overweight

A New York City mom was fit to be tied Wednesday after her 4-foot-1, 66-pound daughter came home from school with a note calling her fat.

Eight-year-old Gwendolyn Williams is anything but fat, but her mom worries that the school's note, citing her body mass index, has left her daughter confused about her body.

"My daughter is thin; she knows she doesn't have a weight problem, but that night, I caught her grabbing the skin near her waist, and she asked me, 'is this what they were talking about?"' Laura Bruiji Williams, the girl's mom, told FoxNews.com. "It was awful to see."

Gwendolyn, along with her classmates, were handed a "Fitnessgram" sealed with a sticker at her public school in Brooklyn. The class was told not to open the letters, issued by the New York City Department of Education, but like most of her friends, she couldn't resist and read it.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/05/23/new-york-mom-fuming-after-daughter-gets-school-letter-calling-her-overweight/

The link includes a picture of this fat kid.

-----------------------------------------------------------

US obesity rate reaches new high

The obesity epidemic is showing no signs of retreat in the United States.

As of this week, the nation's obesity rate for 2014 stands at 27.7 percent, according to new Gallup data. That's up from the 2013 rate of 27.1 percent, which was the highest annual rate ever measured by the polling organization.

When Gallup started tracking obesity in 2008, the average annual rate among Americans was 25.5 percent. So far this year, only 35 percent are considered "normal weight." [7 Little-Known Tricks That Shave Pounds]

Obesity which was recently recognized as a disease by the American Medical Association disproportionately affects certain demographic groups. According to Gallup's latest results, black adults still have the highest obesity rate of any group (35.5 percent), while young adults between ages 18 and 29 have the lowest (17.0) percent.

And that's how the getcha!

Seems dumb to hand these things to the kids.

Get it to the parents and educate them on things rather than the kids.

Sad that so many parents do need to be educated on how to better feed their kids...but they do.

Walk around any public place and you see a bunch of fat kids with fat parents focking their kids up for years with possible health problems because they simply don't know or don't care.

So, was she called 'fat' or 'overweight'?

There is a huge difference.

Probably called "overweight" strictly by BMI.

or even Obese by the chart.

The point is that the kid is not over weight but is classified as such to skew the numbers to the benefit of a government determined to control every aspect of out lives.

The point is that the kid is not over weight but is classified as such to skew the numbers to the benefit of a government determined to control every aspect of out lives.

Yeah...they are using her to skew numbers.

BS.

They used a stupid chart as to what is considered overweight or obese.

Letters were sent so that parents know...because lets face it, not all parents are taking their kids to yearly checkups...nor are they doing a very good job of raising healthy children or helping them make healthy choices.

Bmi has been used since the 1800s. Common sense should come into play while using it. Parents should complain to the schools though. The reports should be mailed to the parents, then let the parents decide what to do with it.

So the kid is fat AND can't follow instructions. Not the school's fault that she opened an envelope instructing her not to open.

So the kid is fat AND can't follow instructions. Not the school's fault that she opened an envelope instructing her not to open.

This made me laugh.

What's the point of this thread? :dunno:

The kid isn't fat, she is much closer to being skinny and Your government is feeding you a line of crap.

The kid isn't fat, she is much closer to being skinny and Your government is feed you a line of crap.

So you get all that from one stupid letter from one stupid person in one stupid school district? :wacko:

The kid isn't fat, she is much closer to being skinny and Your government is feed you a line of crap.

Who's government? That particular NY school district's administration?

If you haven't figured it out yet the federal government controls the public school system in this country. HTH

phurfur has information that this particular letter came straight from Obama.

phurfur has information that this particular letter came straight from Obama.

I think Michelle even signed the letter after addressing it to "fatty fatty 2 by 4, can't fit through the kitchen door".

If that's the new definition of fatty, evrybodys gonna be fawking a fatty. :banana:

I think Michelle even signed the letter after addressing it to "fatty fatty 2 by 4, can't fit through the kitchen door".

:first:

Her BMI classifies her as overweight. An overweight BMI as a child correlates with being overweight as an adult.

She doesn't look fat in that photo though.

JTDC the letter embarrassed the double chin mother and the porker daughter so she takes her fat kid on national TV too embarrass her more. Good luck in high school porker when the kids find this.

Her BMI classifies her as overweight. An overweight BMI as a child correlates with being overweight as an adult.

Correct. So the school, using the BMI, determines that the child is "overweight"...based on standards. They then send out a letter (assumably to every child's parents), stating their findings (which in this case is "overweight").

I am guessing that the letter stated "overweight", instead of "your kid is fat", like the article makes it sounds. I don't see the word "fat" mentioned as the term the letter used.

There's a big difference between overweight and fat.

Nearly every single NFL player is overweight. But there's in better shape than most people will ever be.

If the schools are going to do this, they definitely need to ditch the lazy BMI and do a more thorough test that takes into account body fat %.

People who vilify and label fat people are just as culpable as those that call people queers.

I am overweight by a good amount according to bmi, but i am in no way near fat. Bmi is a completely inaccurate tool to judge if someone is actually too heavy.

I am overweight by a good amount according to bmi, but i am in no way near fat. Bmi is a completely inaccurate tool to judge if someone is actually too heavy.

Wrong. Bmi is correct. You fat pussies are the problem.

It's what happens when good intentions are taken too far by idiots. It is a good thing for schools to help control obesity but common sense needs to be listened to as well. You educate and try and curb it if the kid is indeed a porker but if they are merely borderline if that let it focking go. People that think they are doing good seem to always be the ones doing the most harm.

There's a big difference between overweight and fat.

Nearly every single NFL player is overweight. But there's in better shape than most people will ever be.

If the schools are going to do this, they definitely need to ditch the lazy BMI and do a more thorough test that takes into account body fat %.

Agreed, to a point. BMI fails for particularly muscular people, like athletes. This girl doesn't appear to be on her way to the NFL. Also finding a cheap and accurate body fat test is a bit of a problem.

What is your body fat %?

I'm waiting for the medical community to change the BMI scale to account for the fact that overweight is the new normal and today people are rarely considered "overweight" until they're actually obese.

I'm waiting for the medical community to change the BMI scale to account for the fact that overweight is the new normal and today people are rarely considered "overweight" until they're actually obese.

I trained in Michigan, and was amazed at how huge "normal" people were...

BMI is perfect for people who are lazy and aren't involved in any physical activities (probably the majority of American adults). It is completely worthless for people who do any sort of resistance training.

Side note, went to Lowe's yesterday, by looking at the local patrons the BMI meter never stood a chance. America is frighteningly FAT.

BMI is perfect for people who are lazy and aren't involved in any physical activities (probably the majority of American adults). It is completely worthless for people who do any sort of resistance training.

Side note, went to Lowe's yesterday, by looking at the local patrons the BMI meter never stood a chance. America is frighteningly FAT.

Could post a similar thing in the Amusement Park thread.

Go to Disney or any place like that attracting a large number of people.

Even worse...go to the beach and see how fat.

Or the absolute worst...go to Wal Mart.

You're starting to sound like Newbie now. Active people who don't lift a lot have healthy BMIs. And plenty of bulky dudes are still fat.

Beyond low body fat/muscular individuals, BMI also doesn't distinguish types of overweight/obesity, especially the distribution of visceral fat. And it does not apply the same to all populations: expectations for BMI for the average Japanese person are far different than the average Samoan.

But it is a quick and easy starting point, and clearly our country has been headed on a crapper-busting trajectory for a while now.

Could post a similar thing in the Amusement Park thread.

Go to Disney or any place like that attracting a large number of people.

Even worse...go to the beach and see how fat.

Or the absolute worst...go to Wal Mart.

People should take their kids outside to hike/climb/swim/bike/etc. instead of going to contrived amusement parks.

Agreed, to a point. BMI fails for particularly muscular people, like athletes. This girl doesn't appear to be on her way to the NFL. Also finding a cheap and accurate body fat test is a bit of a problem.

Long ago I had a simple test where they measured the skin on my triceps. Dunno how accurate but I was 9%. That was back when I was 23 and in really good shape.

Anyway, I agree with you. To the extent that it is accurate to label people as ectomorphs, mesomorphs, or endomorphs, the acceptable BMI ranges for people would vary greatly.