Sign in to follow this  
BobSanders_33

Tre Mason overtaking Stacy?

"ESPN Rams reporter Nick Wagoner "wouldn't be surprised" if third-round RB Tre Mason overtakes Zac Stacy for the starting job at some point in 2014."

When I first read this I thought there was no chance that this could happen. Just going off memory Zac Stacy had a monster year last year. Then I went back and looked at his stats last season and his numbers were actually deceiving. As a general rule I will never draft a RB that rushed under 4.2 ypc the prior year and ZS rushed for 3.9. I know that Stacy had very little offensive help in STL but his numbers were volume based.

What is your outlook on Stacy? Do you think he is an RB1 and the addition of Robinson to the OL and return of Bradford will be a big boost or do you think he might actually be a more pedestrian running back that is at risk to lose his job/major carries?

He's one of those guys where I'd rather roll the dice with his backup drafted much later. Just don't think he's that great of a talent so he's always at risk to lose his job.

I had opportunities to trade for Stacy in a dynasty league but I don't trust that situation one bit.

Unless you name is AP, McCoy, Charles or Lacy, nothing is guaranteed.

I agree, RBs like Stacy are easier replaced. For dynasty league, you really don't want to invest much in them. I do feel Tre Mason is more talented runner than Stacy. It will be interesting to watch how this situation turns out.

I really dont think mason will pass stacy AND cunningham on the depth chart. That said i thought it was pretty obvious stacy was a volume rusher last year.

he is a volume rusher in a fisher offense that like to run. He is just what fisher wants. Barring injury I can not see stacy losing his job,

I thought Tre Mason was the best back in the draft - so yeah I guess I am avoiding Stacy .............. but not his mom -- she's got it going on

he is a volume rusher in a fisher offense that like to run. He is just what fisher wants. Barring injury I can not see stacy losing his job,

Exactly. Don't worry about YPC. On a team with zero offensive weapons, look at the stats that matter:

14 games, 12 starts, 250 carries, 1 Fumble, 0 Fumbles lost. Caught 75% of his targets. More than adequate pass protector.

Fisher loves consistent. He's not averse to RBBC, but Mason will have to show other skills that he has never had to utilize before in order to see any carries, let alone take a starting job.

Stacy would be a great #3 RB to target this year, then nab Mason as late as possible. The Rams Def will be giving the ball back to the offense quickly this year.

Stacy would be a great #3 RB to target this year, then nab Mason as late as possible. The Rams Def will be giving the ball back to the offense quickly this year.

Stacy is the 12th rb off the board from mid to late second round. I don't think he is going to be your third back.

• Like 1

Just another postion battle to watch during the off season .

Stacy is a RB 3 whose ADP right now is out of control. I am staying away merely based on the lack of any value taking him mid second round. Late 3rd is the earliest I would consider him.

Also I Think Mase II is just the better player.

Stacy is a RB 3 whose ADP right now is out of control. I am staying away merely based on the lack of any value taking him mid second round. Late 3rd is the earliest I would consider him.

Also I Think Mase II is just the better player.

I agree . His value is to high . Plus they have a rb now on the team that is better

This is what Mase II did against good teams last year in the SEC

LSU -- 132 /2

A&M - 171 /1

Tenn - 117 /3

Arkansas - 168 /4

UGA - 115 /1

Bama 165 /1

Mizzou 305 /4

FSU - 200 /1

He played 3 top 5 teams to close out the season and shredded all 3. it'd not like Auburn had a great passing game either -- everyone knew Mase would get the ball they just couln't stop him. Maybe the SEC had a slightly down year but a down year there is a history making year elsewhere.

It isn't IF Mase will take over it's when!

This is what Mase II did against good teams last year in the SEC

LSU -- 132 /2

A&M - 171 /1

Tenn - 117 /3

Arkansas - 168 /4

UGA - 115 /1

Bama 165 /1

Mizzou 305 /4

FSU - 200 /1

He played 3 top 5 teams to close out the season and shredded all 3. it'd not like Auburn had a great passing game either -- everyone knew Mase would get the ball they just couln't stop him. Maybe the SEC had a slightly down year but a down year there is a history making year elsewhere.

It isn't IF Mase will take over it's when!

It could also be argued that Tre had the benefit of running behind a strong OL, wide running lanes caused by a mobile QB, and volume. Of the top 10 rushers in the SEC Tre ranked 8th in yards per carry. Jeremy Hill out rushed Tre in YPC 6.9 to 5.7. Tre also only caught 19 balls in college and did not have to make pro style blitz pickup reads.

I don't think Tre gets the starting job but he will get enough playing time to negate Stacy's value.

Basic scoring he finished with 13th most points for RB's last year. He didn't play in 4 games.

He averaged a combine 4.1 ypc against teams not in the Rams division.

He caught 26 passes. That number figures to increase by 10-15 receptions.

Tough call, he's a nice RB but I can see a lot of "Should I bench Stacy for....." threads because of SF, SEA and Arizona.

It could also be argued that Tre had the benefit of running behind a strong OL, wide running lanes caused by a mobile QB, and volume. Of the top 10 rushers in the SEC Tre ranked 8th in yards per carry. Jeremy Hill out rushed Tre in YPC 6.9 to 5.7. Tre also only caught 19 balls in college and did not have to make pro style blitz pickup reads.

I don't think Tre gets the starting job but he will get enough playing time to negate Stacy's value.

Auburn had a running QB and no passing game - everyone knew they were going to run and they couldn't stop it

Auburn had a running QB and no passing game - everyone knew they were going to run and they couldn't stop it

Gimmick offense against athletes and schemes below the caliber of what he faces now. And a good running QB in college plays to the advantage of a fast back who can break a broken play or an option pitch. He won't see many of those opportunities anymore.

Maybe he makes a big splash, but annually we see one of these guys from an option offense who puts up staggering college numbers and does little in the pros. The NFL tends to favor reliable over explosive until explosive proves itself to be reliable. That's why I think Stacy is the kind of back who will hold off a challenge like this for a year or so before succumbing to either the superior talent or the shelf life of a starting NFL RB, which gets shorter and shorter.

I think Stacy's stats for Vandy and now 1 season for the Rams are much more impressive than Mason's Auburn track record.

You really can't compare Vandy to Auburn, then add in a productive nfl season without your starting QB. In the NFL West which is D D D orientated.

I'm not big on any RB in this years draft at the moment. I think last year was much better, and next year looks potentially fantastic.

I would like to see Mason beat out Cunningham for that #2 spot first, as I think that will be the much more fascinating camp/pre season battle. So for me it's Stacy all day every day.

Anytime a very talented backup is drafted behind a young player still proving himself then I certainly think there is a situation that can change quickly. Mason came from an abnormal system, but his talent is present and just needs time to come out. I don't think that time is this year, but I think he wins that job eventually. I will say that I think Mason will effect Stacy enough that he will be over drafted. I owned him early in the season last year before dropping him and my chances to keep him for dirt cheap. On draft day when Mason was called I felt a little less sh!tty about not having him to keep for next year. The owner was a little nervous as well so I think there is some cause for concern.

I can see Tre spelling Stacy on 3rd down if and only if he can pass protect. As others have said in this thread, Jeff is too conservative and loves consistency to mix up running backs and give the guy with the hot hand the ball. Barring no injuries, Stacy will remain the #1 back. As far as the comment about the coaches telling him he will compete for the starting job, that just keeps everyone on their toes and prevent slacking during camp.

Stacy's going to have a bigger year than last year, and Tre Mason will not affect Stacy's touches much.

Any new thoughts on this after last night?

As usual pass protection skills or lack thereof appear to be the major hindrance for a young back. In preseason (Saints played the Rams) I thought Mason looked terrific and last night I again thought he had the kind of energy that could carry a team. Yet he was underutilized.

But given the carry share is now the time to jump before it becomes all Mason? Or does this stay a 3-headed monster?

The situation is muddled further with Tavon Austin stealing snaps out of the backfield.

Stop. That has no relevance. What is relevant is that Stacey is clearly not the #1. Possibly not even #2...

Where are all of those Stacy lovers nowadays?

You know the ones that thought he was a stud?

The ones that laughed when I said I'd rather have Fred Jackson and Maclin >>>>> Stacy & Fitzgerald

:wave: :wave: :wave:

Where are all of those Stacy lovers nowadays?

You know the ones that thought he was a stud?

The ones that laughed when I said I'd rather have Fred Jackson and Maclin >>>>> Stacy & Fitzgerald

:wave: :wave: :wave:

Probably reading your other predictions that were worthless? :dunno:

Either that or entering you in the Most D!ckish Poster contest. Little lower than gloating over a prediction that so far has held up for one game.

• Like 1

Probably reading your other predictions that were worthless? :dunno:

Either that or entering you in the Most D!ckish Poster contest. Little lower than gloating over a prediction that so far has held up for one game.

There you are! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm a Rams homer in a league with a bunch of Rams homers. No one at our draft understood why Stacy's ADP was so high. He's incredibly mediocre.

Teams as bad as the Rams don't take guys in the 3rd round (Tre Mason) if they don't plan on using them.

There you are! :lol: :lol: :lol:

5 whole carries. WOW!

And FWIW, I roster none of the players mentioned.