Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Name a MLB player that was a sure HOF and went belly up

Tony Conigliaro. Never saw him play but boston old timers say he had the perfect swing for Fenway. Youngest Homerun champion. Youngest to 100 homers when he was 22 years old. He was also 22 when he got beaned and he was never the same.

Dale Murphy is another but he may eventually make the hall.

Dale Murphy was the first one that came to mind. I remember a sports Illustrated article in 1986/87 that attempted to list all the players at the time who were potential HOF players. I remember when they mentioned his name "He's already in"...or something like that.

This is a great thread.

Pete Rose

Gregg Olson had 160 saves by 26. I figured he'd easily be the 1st to 500.

Yeah but how many career closers are in the HOF? 2?

I have a good one

Bret Saberhagen

Dude was a monster.

1st year 1984, wins the cy young in 1985 and 1989 and then never won more than 15 games again.

Dude should have never left Kansas City, how often do you hear that :o

This is a great thread.

:thumbsup:

don't get that around here lately.

Yeah but how many career closers are in the HOF? 2?

Rivera and Hoffman are the only 2 with 500+, both will be in the HOF. If Olson got there first, he would be in already.

Tony Conigliaro. Never saw him play but boston old timers say he had the perfect swing for Fenway. Youngest Homerun champion. Youngest to 100 homers when he was 22 years old. He was also 22 when he got beaned and he was never the same.

One of the most tragic on field accidents in the history of MLB

He was hit in the face 1967, when he was hit he was a career .275 hitter

in 1970 he hit 36 HR and had 116 RBI. He was traded to the Angels after that season and somehow left his eyesight in Boston.

Rivera and Hoffman are the only 2 with 500+, both will be in the HOF. If Olson got there first, he would be in already.

so there is only 1 career reliever in the HOF now? Gossage? I was assuming Rivera was a lock. I forgot about Hoffman, is he a lock?

so there is only 1 career reliever in the HOF now? Gossage? I was assuming Rivera was a lock. I forgot about Hoffman, is he a lock?

Fingers for sure. Hoffman has 600 saves, he has to be a lock.

Gossage, Sutter, Wilhelm.

Eckersley wasn't a career reliever but I think was better known out of the bullpen than as a starter.

Eckersley wasn't a career reliever but I think was better known out of the bullpen than as a starter.

For sure, but he was a 20 game winner as a starter and won about 100 games before he left Boston

197 wins and 390 saves

off the focking charts, will never be duplicated

look at this silliness

1988 - 45 saves

1989 - 33 saves

1990 - 48 saves

1991 - 43 saves

1992 - 51 saves

1993 - 36 saves

look at this silliness

1988 - 45 saves

1989 - 33 saves

1990 - 48 saves

1991 - 43 saves

1992 - 51 saves

1993 - 36 saves

Francisco Rodríguez

2005 - 45

2006 - 47

2007 - 40

2008 - 62

2009 - 35

2010 - 25

Francisco Rodríguez

2005 - 45

2006 - 47

2007 - 40

2008 - 62

2009 - 35

2010 - 25

was he 32 his 1st year as a closer and already won 150 games?

I wasn't saying Eck had the greatest stretch, I'm saying check out this silliness after already being in the majors for 12 years!

Dude was a rookie at 20, he won 13 games

was he 32 his 1st year as a closer and already won 150 games?

I wasn't saying Eck had the greatest stretch, I'm saying check out this silliness after already being in the majors for 12 years!

Dude was a rookie at 20, he won 13 games

Eck was a freak. He might have won 300 if he was not a drinker. Same with Dennis Martinez. Smoltz is another guy who dominated at a starter and closer and back to a starter.

Eck was a freak. He might have won 300 if he was not a drinker. Same with Dennis Martinez. Smoltz is another guy who dominated at a starter and closer and back to a starter.

and the way MLB teams baby everyone, very few guys are given the opportunity to start at 20

he was 13 and 7 with a 2.60 era at 20?

NEVER see that anymore.

had 50 wins by the time he was 23. Some guys haven't even made the majors by then.

the pussification of MLB pitching :thumbsdown:

Sidd Finch

the kid from American Pie?

and the way MLB teams baby everyone, very few guys are given the opportunity to start at 20

he was 13 and 7 with a 2.60 era at 20?

NEVER see that anymore.

had 50 wins by the time he was 23. Some guys haven't even made the majors by then.

the pussification of MLB pitching :thumbsdown:

It's never worked. Ever. 19 and 20 year old MLB everyday starters simply do not last and never have except in very rare situations. Jim Palmer had 20 wins by 20 and then missed most of 2 years with an arm injury, which saved his arm and his career. Nolan Ryan broke in at 19 and also had an arm injury that took away 2 years and saved his career.

It's never worked. Ever. 19 and 20 year old MLB everyday starters simply do not last and never have except in very rare situations. Jim Palmer had 20 wins by 20 and then missed most of 2 years with an arm injury, which saved his arm and his career. Nolan Ryan broke in at 19 and also had an arm injury that took away 2 years and saved his career.

Bob feller came in before he was 18, but I think he lost some years because of WW2, interesting to think that a war might have extended his career

Um, so they don't pitch in the minor leagues at 19 and 20? :dunno:

Is pitching in the minors, somehow different pitching?

Eckersley had a two year stretch (89-90 maybe) where he had more saves that baserunners allowed. That is mind boggling.

Eckersley had a two year stretch (89-90 maybe) where he had more saves that baserunners allowed. That is mind boggling.

89 - .607 WHIP

90 - .614 WHIP

:o

81 saves and 80 BRA

89 - .607 WHIP

90 - .614 WHIP

:o

81 saves and 80 BRA

Damn, I can't even do that on a playstation

Damn, I can't even do that on a playstation

6 base runners allowed for every 10 innings.

ridiculous.

An argument can be made for Brady Anderson if you google his first 5-6 seasons or so.

This begins and ends with 1 name -- Dwight Gooden. Could have been one of the greatest pitchers to ever play the game. People were sayng he was maybe better than Bob Gibson after his first 2 seasons. Then Doc started doing a lot of drugs and fell off the map. Gooden diodn't just miss out on the HOF he missed out on being in the Elite of the Elite of the games history

Agreed. DR. K is the all time king of this category.

What amazes me is that he STILL has borderline HOF numbers on paper. Take away what you know of his wasted potential.

- 194-115 Record.

- Top 50 winning %, beating guys like Greg Maddux, Cy Young, Warren Spahn, etc.

- Top 50 All Time in Strikeouts.

- Career 3.51 ERA

- Cy Young Award

- Pitching Triple Crown

- Rookie of the Year

- No hitter

- 4x All Star

- 3x World Series Champ

I'm not arguing he should get in. I'm just saying that had we changed the order of his accomplishments and eliminated the reasons, on paper he at least had a career in which we would have to debate it some.

And basically he did that by achieving about 30% of what he would have likely become.

Don Mattingly

Don Mattingly should be in the HOF regardless, he was the best all around hitter for a 6 year stretch before he hurt his back. Not to mention he collected Gold Gloves yearly. He was Gayle Sayers, truly great. Baseball writers are so consumed with compilers and it is absurd, true greatness should be celebrated and Donny Baseball had it.

Agreed. DR. K is the all time king of this category.

What amazes me is that he STILL has borderline HOF numbers on paper. Take away what you know of his wasted potential.

- 194-115 Record.

- Top 50 winning %, beating guys like Greg Maddux, Cy Young, Warren Spahn, etc.

- Top 50 All Time in Strikeouts.

- Career 3.51 ERA

- Cy Young Award

- Pitching Triple Crown

- Rookie of the Year

- No hitter

- 4x All Star

- 3x World Series Champ

I'm not arguing he should get in. I'm just saying that had we changed the order of his accomplishments and eliminated the reasons, on paper he at least had a career in which we would have to debate it some.

And basically he did that by achieving about 30% of what he would have likely become.

:thumbsup:

Which is why guys like Bert Blyleven and others that pitch for 20 years get in when they shouldn't.

They get in based on longevity which is absurd. The hall of fame should be for guys that at least dominated for a 5 year stretch. Not guys that hung on for 20 years and compiled numbers.

Give me Doc over Blyleven any day.

Fock Blyleven was top 10 in Cy Young voting 4 times in his entire career, never finishing higher than 3rd? Give me a focking break

Dude is a focking joke http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/blylebe01.shtml

The MLB HOF is a joke because guys like Blyleven are in and guys like Doc Gooden are not