Sign in to follow this  
rallo

Waiver WR Scoop and play (Week 4 Installment 2014)

I know you’ve all been waiting for this… ok, probably not, but it is about that time for the 3rd Annual Waiver WR Scoop and Play. Just like the last few years, the purpose of this thread is not to predict 'breakout performances' or to highlight 'studs and duds'. The purpose is to help those suffering from lack of depth/injuries/bye weeks/ or some awful combination of all three. Let’s get to this week’s selections.

Allen Robinson WR JAX@SD

I know what you are thinking... SD is stout against the pass this year. That may be true, but there are some trends and stats that I think we all need to pay attention to first. The first stat is that Robinson has been slowly gaining more playing time (over 70% of snaps last week), and seems to be the most healthy option to line up next to the gimpy Cecil Shorts III. Robinson also led the team in targets last week with 10, and leads the team in targets AND redzone targets on the season, despite really playing only two full games. Also factor in that he is 6'3" and he will probably go up against either 5'10" Shareece Wright (who leads the SD secondary in tackles) or 5'9" Brandon Flowers and i think we have a sneaky mismatch worth exploiting.

Another sneaky stat? WR2s are averaging a little under 90 ypg against SD this season, and it isn't crazy to think that the Jaguars could rack up the passing yards in garbage time if this game gets out of hand.

Prediction

Robinson 7rec 87yards 1TD

Best of all, Robinson is only owned in 8% of yahoo leagues, so don't be afraid to scoop and play!

Who do you like for scoop and play this week?

- for all the hype this kid is getting, was pleased to snag for uno bucko overnight in faab.

perfect spec player, really looking forward to Sunday afternoon's usage ... methinks the price of poker is gonna go up considerably next week, so ... get now while the gettin is good n cheap

- for all the hype this kid is getting, was pleased to snag for uno bucko overnight in faab.

perfect spec player, really looking forward to Sunday afternoon's usage ... methinks the price of poker is gonna go up considerably next week, so ... get now while the gettin is good n cheap

Exactly what I was thinking NPG.... How many times do you see the backup or rookie qb come in and latch on to the guy he was comfortable with in camp/ practice???? I think this could be a coming out party of sorts, and he looks to be the most physically gifted WR on the team.

Also, I'm gonna need some help with this thread prior to November, as I'm getting married. So the more players and insight you guys can offer the better!

Dropped James Jones for him and I'm plugging him into my starting lineup as WR3. I'm all in on this guy that I've never even seen play :banana:

I would add Reuben randle and Larry donnell (te) to this list if still available. Once Eli manning gets comfortable w his Te he seems to be better all the way around

I would add Reuben randle and Larry donnell (te) to this list if still available. Once Eli manning gets comfortable w his Te he seems to be better all the way around

agree on Donnell, but Beckham > Randle

The Jags get a lot of board time for e team that does not do a lot . Shorts will be the WR to own on Jags . Everyone else is second and that would make them the first loser .

Glad to see you back at it rallo.

Always enjoy these threads and this week it seems we are thinking alike! Cheers on Robinson!

I'll add another, though not quite as widely available (48% owned yahoo).

James Jones

He's the only receiver worth your time on Oakland, for one thing. And he just got off Revis Island so maybe the owner dropped him out of frustration.

But in his favor:

23rd in receiving yards

23rd (tied) in receptions

25th (tied) in targets

Also up against Miami, who looks great against WR from their schedule, but really is only average and tends to get run over.

Not bad for a WR3/Flex play.

The Jags get a lot of board time for e team that does not do a lot . Shorts will be the WR to own on Jags . Everyone else is second and that would make them the first loser .

Robinson's targets are 53rd in the NFL in just two games. He has more receptions and yards than Vincent Jackson.

The Jaguars will be trailing in nearly every game by a substantial margin.

If Cecil Shorts plays, he's drawing the number one corner of the opposing defense.

Good ol' Weedpaws

for me, it is all about garbage time... the jags look to get a ton of it this year... bad for gerhart owners.... everyone else rejoice! i wouldnt be surprised if bortles puts up good numbers for a spot start later in the season

Im thinking of pick8ng him up and playing him. Looks like r. White might be a no go and I have no one else

I'll add two hot WRs to the list:

Jordan Matthews -Philly, 31% owned. Breakout game last game. On that flying Philly Offense grab a talented rookie who is getting in sync with Foles. Long term Cooper will be passed soon and Maclin could break at any time. Short term Philly plays at SF who is unusually bad so far this year stopping the pass (2nd worst) and in disarray, while Philly is clicking.

Eddie Royal -SD, 13% owned. Good game last game. SD shouldn't let Brown run it 30 times again and ER is a possession receiver. Woodhead is out and part of his involvment looks to go ER's way. SD plays Jax at home. Yahoo however says that ER has zero fantasy value outside of deep ppr leagues. I don't know that I agree with that. I can easily see a game plan with at least 10 high percentage targets going ERs way (he was already targeted 10 times in the Seattle game).

• Like 1

re: Cooper/ Matthews

look, all because Coop is putting up shiteous numbers doesn't necessarily mean he'll be benched.

someone has to be out there doing the dirty work to keep those high flying perimeter guys on the loose ... Coop is a big, physical dude who doesn't take any shite out there ... Philly offense has a ton of moving parts, and all because some guy isn't hanging up gaudy numbers doesn't mean he isn't intregal to it's success.

Matthews will also be a vital cog, but his real BOOM value lies in supplanting an injured Maclin ... don't expect him to grasp all of the intricacies of these schemes overnight ... don't think he can replace all that Coop does "without the ball"

Glad to see this weekly column back at it.

I just don't know rallo......I have a hard time penciling in any Jag, garbage time or no garbage time.m

Just need to mention this- Robinson has not scored a TD yet. Matthews for example has two.

Someone dropped Boldin in one of my leagues. I'm considering him as a scoop and play. Big game for SF, and Quan usually shows up in those situations. Matchup is good too....with lots of points to be scored.

Other option is Matthews. Lots of things working in his favor, but his targets are inconsistent. More of a boom or bust play.

I've also been looking at robert woods as a deeper league pickup that might surprise. Only owned in 2% of yahoo leagues, and he has been a high target guy when healthy... 7 targets per game to be exact. The problem is that he hasn't been capitalizing on these opportunities. I think that could change this week in a big way when he goes to Houston. The Texans rank dead last in receptions (to WRs) given up with 55 on the year, but are surprisingly good in the YPC category, yeilding 10.68ypc... to me this should be right up woods alley as he isn't looked to as the 'big play guy'. I think he will draw the 30 year old Johnathan Joseph at CB, who leads theTEAM in solo tackles... and has ZERO pass deflections on the year. I think that this looks like a great game for woods in PPR.

woods 7rec 79 yards 0-1TD

i think you could do a lot worse than robert woods this week!

Hurns is just sitting on my waivers where there are no other remotely useful WRs on there bc it's 3 WRs. My question and thought out loud is "wasn't Hurns Bortles favorite target in preseason?" I know Hurns was in the top of preseason stats so I'm thinking he was. I always look for a rookie qbs fav target. Everyone is hyping up Robinson but I wanna know who Bortles has eyes for more than anything. I feel like that's the key

This :thumbsup:

I'm glad this thread is a weekly event. I'll be posting my blind bid waiver pick-up thread this afternoon. But I've got two potential pick-up plug'n' plays that I'll focus more on later. Since this was the week of the WR adds, here are tow to whet your appetite:.

1. Stevie Johnson.- now getting more targets than Bolden and from the slot position, he should out-stat Bolden the rest of the way. With Vernon Davis probably not going to play, expect a big week

2. Denarius Moore - Streater is out for quite a while so Moore will be the beneficiary of significantly increased targets in an offense that should be playing from behind.

Both of these guys are better plays in PPR. BTW, I did pick-up Allen Robinson in one league that he was available. I sure could not understand why he was available.

I'm glad this thread is a weekly event. I'll be posting my blind bid waiver pick-up thread this afternoon. But I've got two potential pick-up plug'n' plays that I'll focus more on later. Since this was the week of the WR adds, here are tow to whet your appetite:.

1. Stevie Johnson.- now getting more targets than Bolden and from the slot position, he should out-stat Bolden the rest of the way. With Vernon Davis probably not going to play, expect a big week

2. Denarius Moore - Streater is out for quite a while so Moore will be the beneficiary of significantly increased targets in an offense that should be playing from behind.

Both of these guys are better plays in PPR. BTW, I did pick-up Allen Robinson in one league that he was available. I sure could not understand why he was available.

I have never been a fan of moore, as he never seems to live up to expectations... the guy i am watching is andre holmes. he's 6'4", and i think he will surprise. I also think this foot injury will land streater on the IR, or he'll come back and be ineffective. I look for holmes to show up in a big way the second half of this season

I think you are right about stevie though... he finally gets the targets, and it will be interesting to see what happens when he and kaep get on the same page later in the season (if davis doesn't steal all of the targets)

Someone dropped Boldin in one of my leagues. I'm considering him as a scoop and play. Big game for SF, and Quan usually shows up in those situations. Matchup is good too....with lots of points to be scored.

Other option is Matthews. Lots of things working in his favor, but his targets are inconsistent. More of a boom or bust play.

Jordan Matthews is a great play....much better than Boldin for the whole year.

As a scoop and play, Stevie Johnson is a much better choice than Boldin. He was slow to learn the offense and get the timing down. On the other hand Anquon boldin is slow, period. here is the stat progression for both players for the 1st 3 weeks:

Boldin

wk 1.....9 targets, 8 catches, 99 yds

wk 2.....6 targets, 2 catches, 34 yds

wk 3.... 6 targets, 6 catches, 36 yds.

Stevie J

wk 1.....2 targets, 2 catches, 33 yds

wk 2.....4 targets, 2 catches, 26 yds

wk 3.....9 targets, 9 catches,103 yds.

Of even more concern to Boldin owners is that Stevie is now operating more from the slot than Boldin is, and this is where Boldin had his only real value.

I've dropped Boldin in all of the leagues where I had owned him.....and picked up stevie johnson as my scoop and play this week. Jus sayin'.

Wouldn't Vernon Davis being out mostly be the main reason for this. I'm thinking of dropping devante adams who is my overall long term season stash or Stevie Johnson this week bc marshall may not play. But I think with Davis back it will severely limit him and his targets

As a scoop and play, Stevie Johnson is a much better choice than Boldin. He was slow to learn the offense and get the timing down. On the other hand Anquon boldin is slow, period. here is the stat progression for both players for the 1st 3 weeks:

Boldin

Stevie J

Of even more concern to Boldin owners is that Stevie is now operating more from the slot than Boldin is, and this is where Boldin had his only real value.

I've dropped Boldin in all of the leagues where I had owned him.....and picked up stevie johnson as my scoop and play this week. Jus sayin'.

Boldin

Stevie J

Hear what you're saying, and don't disagree for the rest of the year. But for just this week I think Boldin might be a better start if he lines up outside rather than the slot.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Stevie had a spike in usage while Davis was out. If the same holds true this weekend, and Stevie sees more time in the slot, I think it's a worse matchup. From what I've read Boykin is the only CB worth a damn on Philly and he's covering the slot. Philly's perimeter defenders are the ones to attack....and so if Boldin is lining up out there, he might be the one to target. :dunno:

But I think you're right, long term.....Boldin isn't really worth considering. Just doesn't offer the upside other guys do. Not sure I even want to go down that road this week. Just someone to consider because the matchup is good.

In my PPR league I just picked up Jeremey Kerley (dropped Justin Hunter) and will be starting him at a flex spot. I was surprised he was available and with Decker limited, the Lions D a run stopping type with questionable DB's, I think he may get double digit targets with the Jets either forced to throw or playing catch up.

In my PPR league I just picked up Jeremey Kerley (dropped Justin Hunter) and will be starting him at a flex spot. I was surprised he was available and with Decker limited, the Lions D a run stopping type with questionable DB's, I think he may get double digit targets.

like this one, especially at the expense of yet another preseason hype darling in Hunter - who might have the worst target to catch ratio in recent memory. sexy pick heading into the drafts who has thus far looked like Hope Solo's beef flaps.

Kerley is a definite upgrade ... an 'unsexy' wallflower who will at least put the fock out

In my PPR league I just picked up Jeremey Kerley (dropped Justin Hunter) and will be starting him at a flex spot. I was surprised he was available and with Decker limited, the Lions D a run stopping type with questionable DB's, I think he may get double digit targets with the Jets either forced to throw or playing catch up.

Kerley has more targets(24) than Kendall Wright, Michael Floyd, and Randall Cobb. In PPR leagues he is currently outscoring Golden Tate, Sammy Watkins, and T.Y. Hilton. Factor in that non-touchdown against the Packers, and youre looking at a receiver who could legitimately finish the season in the top 30 at WR. Dude is hardly even rostered in most leagues. Time to face facts people, he is NOT Stephen Hill