Sign in to follow this  
gitrdun

Jeremy Langford Value

The Bears "claim" rookie RB Jeremy Langford is talented enough to be the feature back in Matt Forte's (knee) absence.

With Forte considered week-to-week and fully expected to miss Monday night's Week 9 game against the Chargers, Langford is the next man up. After Forte went down on Sunday, Langford took over every-down duties, rushing 12 times for 46 yards. The fourth-rounder's workload is expected to "triple" in Forte's absence, putting him in line for 20-plus touches against the Chargers' bottom-feeding run defense. Langford has RB2 upside if he can find the end zone.

I got him off waivers primarily to block the Forte owner (who is the points leader, I'm #2), but I think he certainly is worth a start at least this week. I'm playing him over Gio.

Yeah...the complicating factor is that I'm sitting in 2nd, playing the guy in 1st, who's the only team that has scored more than me in that league this year :) It's so tempting to go for the homerun ball that Blount can be. Rationality vs emotion. Tom Brady hates me (because he hates everyone this year), and if I start Blount, he'll throw the ball 75 times. What a world. (Other guy has Brady, too. I think that seals it. Losing to him by having my opp's Brady throw instead of my Blount run would be tough. Losing because Langford didn't do enough would be easier to stomach. :))

I wouldn't trust a Pats RB.

Good move dropping Hyde for him , bad move not trading Hyde after week one .

Who knew man. Starting RB in an offense that I thought might go run heavy due to lack of speedy WR.

I'm not going to second guess the move either way. Hyde was my least productive back, and cost me at least 1 or 2 games by putting him in instead of Ivory or Bernard at some points. Even if Langford only plays a couple of games idc, I'd rather have a productive back for a few weeks than a guy who is just taking up bench space and is never worth starting. If Hyde has a stellar second half I will be amazed, I think we'll see 1 or 2 more decent games out of him and the rest will be the same old crap.

Good advice. It's not the RB, it's Brady and Beli. You never know if they're gonna run, or decide Fock it and just pass 50 times.

I see a very team friendly deal possibly on the horizon too. Forte is 30, though in great shape, and most likely wants to stay in the windy city.

The wildcard is what he may get from other teams. And Langford's play of course will also factor in.

Again, the kid holds his fate in his own hands. Fox likes him, he's got good skills in the passing game, decent size, above average speed... Cutler is playing better.

Opportunity exists.

The chances of Forte resigning in Chicago are very low.

The chances of Forte resigning in Chicago are very low.

Would be greatly interested if you have any links to this or is this homer conjecture? The latter probably just as valuable.

Why do none of you newly minted Langford owners not believe Smith will see 10-12 touches and a majority of the passing down work? He's a menace in the open field and with a full week of practice and now has 3 weeks in the system.

I know it's fun to salivate at landing a 30 touch RB from waivers, but as is usually (but not always!) the case with fantasy owners (and young running backs not named Gurley) – expectations usually far exceed reality when they're thrown into full time duty.

Why do none of you newly minted Langford owners not believe Smith will see 10-12 touches and a majority of the passing down work? He's a menace in the open field and with a full week of practice and now has 3 weeks in the system.

I know it's fun to salivate at landing a 30 touch RB from waivers, but as is usually (but not always!) the case with fantasy owners (and young running backs not named Gurley) expectations usually far exceed reality when they're thrown into full time duty.

My take is Langford is fully adept in the passing game, both as a receiver and in blitz pickup. He was scouted as such coming out of MSU, though his use obviously limited as such with Forte available.

From what I thought, the Bears were a team to use a lead back in all roles, then rotate backups through to spell every few series, in all roles as well.

No?

Would be greatly interested if you have any links to this or is this homer conjecture? The latter probably just as valuable.

More the latter, but links can be found. With Bennett and Jeffery also FA's, the failure of the Cutler contract (and the balance of guaranteed $ still remaining) and Chicago putting him on the block, it would seem unlikely that a team in year one of a rebuild resign a 30 year old RB to McCoy money. The number of RBs coming available in 2016 as FA is staggering. Between FA and the draft, CHI could save at least 30 or 40 million guaranteed.

Obviously one can imagine a drop off in production, but a team in CHI's position would be hard pressed to hand out a large multi year deal to a 30 yr old RB while committing about 20% of their cap to two players.

Full disclosure, I'm a Packers fan living in Los Angeles.

I know, I know. I didn't want Blount, but he was the best value for the pick. And, surprisingly, I've maximized my Blount usage (I'm like Snoop Dog :)). I've managed to only play him for his good games and sit him for all the rest (if you include this last week, which wasn't great, but he did in fact outperform Hill on my bench). But that can't last, you're right. Hoodie is at least as bad as Shanahan ever was.

Full disclosure, I'm a Packers fan living in Los Angeles.

So it's vegan cheese, then? :)

I know it's fun to salivate at landing a 30 touch RB from waivers, but as is usually (but not always!) the case with fantasy owners (and young running backs not named Gurley) – expectations usually far exceed reality when they're thrown into full time duty.

Antone Smith? He's not even the number 3 back there and hasn't had a carry or rec since joining the bears.

Langford will get 20-25 touches easily vs sd Monday night

Antone Smith? He's not even the number 3 back there and hasn't had a carry or rec since joining the bears.

Langford will get 20-25 touches easily vs sd Monday night

He's only been on the team for three weeks.

Look, I have no horse in the race – I'm only saying it seems strange to believe Langford will take 90%+ of the RB snaps and assume 100% of the workload and # of touches Forte had. This is a storyline we see no less then half a dozen times each year when a team loses a RB1. There's an outlandish amount of hope and confidence people manifest for these backups, getting antsy when people put things into perspective in hopes they'll rescue fantasy seasons.

If Langford is a sure fire work horse and as talented as everyone is convinced he wouldn't have been behind J Rogers on the depth chart, they would have found a way to get him on the field more then 40 times in 5 games and I doubt they would have signed Smith less then a month ago as 'insurance'.

Time will ultimately tell, and a first game against SD certainly doesn't hurt – but I see Alfred Blue numbers here, and think those in desperate need of wins who spent a ton of FA$ or their 1 or 2 waiver priority may have paid too much for a mediocre three week rental.

He's only been on the team for three weeks.

Look, I have no horse in the race I'm only saying it seems strange to believe Langford will take 90%+ of the RB snaps and assume 100% of the workload and # of touches Forte had. This is a storyline we see no less then half a dozen times each year when a team loses a RB1. There's an outlandish amount of hope and confidence people manifest for these backups, getting antsy when people put things into perspective in hopes they'll rescue fantasy seasons.

If Langford is a sure fire work horse and as talented as everyone is convinced he wouldn't have been behind J Rogers on the depth chart, they would have found a way to get him on the field more then 40 times in 5 games and I doubt they would have signed Smith less then a month ago as 'insurance'.

Time will ultimately tell, and a first game against SD certainly doesn't hurt but I see Alfred Blue numbers here, and think those in desperate need of wins who spent a ton of FA$ or their 1 or 2 waiver priority may have paid too much for a mediocre three week rental.

Bears ain't good, but they run the ball better that the Texans. Even when Foster was playing, he want putting up huge running games. He'll be better than Blue.

Bears ain't good, but they run the ball better that the Texans. Even when Foster was playing, he want putting up huge running games. He'll be better than Blue.

Ok. So TJ Yeldon North? Again, I don't doubt he's going to get a nice workload and is playing a very sweet matchup this week. In fact, I think he could very well be a RB2 this week once you factor in BYEs and injuries. I'm just questioning the blind 'All In' approach considering we still have just under two months of fantasy left.

Ok. So TJ Yeldon North? Again, I don't doubt he's going to get a nice workload and is playing a very sweet matchup this week. In fact, I think he could very well be a RB2 this week once you factor in BYEs and injuries. I'm just questioning the blind 'All In' approach considering we still have just under two months of fantasy left.

Who is saying 'blind' and all in? Picking a guy up off waivers isn't going all in. Neither is starting him in one week. Anyone trading Freeman to get him? Come on :) It's worth it to keep expectations in check, but you're poopooing a phenomenon that doesn't seem to be happening. Having reasonable expectations for a guy in a good match up who last week was an every down back when Forte went down doesn't seem crazy in any way at all, does it? I'm starting him over Blount. Tell me I'm wrong. :)

Who is saying 'blind' and all in? Picking a guy up off waivers isn't going all in. Neither is starting him in one week. Anyone trading Freeman to get him? Come on :) It's worth it to keep expectations in check, but you're poopooing a phenomenon that doesn't seem to be happening. Having reasonable expectations for a guy in a good match up who last week was an every down back when Forte went down doesn't seem crazy in any way at all, does it? I'm starting him over Blount. Tell me I'm wrong. :)

All fair points, and I'd def. start over Blount. However, you certainly seem the exception and not the rule. Good luck this weekend!

Wondering if that jackass John Fox will catch any heat for claiming Forte is "truly day to day..."

You know, focking coaching clowns like him who play games with the injury report are surely popular in Vegas.

He's legit, bears missed a golden opportunity to trade Forte. Now he will be 30 and asking price goes way down.

Pretty much just won my fanduel work league with that TD. Finally. Finished second twice by 4.5 points combined and a few close third finishes.

I need to find out if Forte is going to be out again. I'm ready to sit either McCoy or Ivory and will put Langford in place of one of them.

I need to find out if Forte is going to be out again. I'm ready to sit either McCoy or Ivory and will put Langford in place of one of them.

Almost certain he misses one more game at least.

• Like 1

I think Forte will be out this coming weekends game .

I like Langford.

In a redraft league hes not worth much because he is back on the bench the minute Forte returns.

I've heard 2 weeks, but it could be a bit more. So Langford likely doesnt hold much value other than a bye week filler.

in a keeper or Dynasty league he may have more value depending on how many you keep.

Forte is nearing the age of 30. Next year he will be 30.

While I dont think the wheels will fall off in a big way, I can see Langford sharing time with Forte next season and taking over the starting role by end of year.

another possibility: Chicago isnt a threat to make the playoffs anytime soon. Maybe they trade forte to try to restock the shelves (so to speak) and give Langford a shot. This is an unlikely scenario but there is an outside chance it can happen.

While I dont think the wheels will fall off in a big way, I can see Langford sharing time with Forte next season and taking over the starting role by end of year.

another possibility: Chicago isnt a threat to make the playoffs anytime soon. Maybe they trade forte to try to restock the shelves (so to speak) and give Langford a shot. This is an unlikely scenario but there is an outside chance it can happen.

Forte is a free agent and the trade deadline was last week. (Right after his injury)

They should have 100% traded him to a team like DEN or DAL. Might as well get a 3rd and maybe a 5th rounder or so and cash when out of contention will very clearly not be in the position to resign him (unless he goes for less then he would on the open market.) But as I posted early, the amount of UFA RB's this offseason is huge.

Ivory, Doug Martin, Forte, Lamar Miller, Starks (who is only making 1.8M), Ridley, Blount, CJ2K, both Denver guys, Antonio Andrews, Charcandrick West (both of these guys are auditioning for some $$$)

I think the prices will be effected by supply and paying Forte 9M+ when you can pair Langford up with a CJ2K or Hillman for about a quarter of that makes sense for a rebuilding team.

Forte is a free agent and the trade deadline was last week. (Right after his injury)

They should have 100% traded him to a team like DEN or DAL. Might as well get a 3rd and maybe a 5th rounder or so and cash when out of contention will very clearly not be in the position to resign him (unless he goes for less then he would on the open market.) But as I posted early, the amount of UFA RB's this offseason is huge.

Ivory, Doug Martin, Forte, Lamar Miller, Starks (who is only making 1.8M), Ridley, Blount, CJ2K, both Denver guys, Antonio Andrews, Charcandrick West (both of these guys are auditioning for some $$$)

I think the prices will be effected by supply and paying Forte 9M+ when you can pair Langford up with a CJ2K or Hillman for about a quarter of that makes sense for a rebuilding team.

It is possible Forte was trade bait.

I am guessing he was making a lot of money. Typically that will hinder any efforts to trade him, as any team close to the cap wont be able to afford him even if they need him.

when the number of interested parties is reduced in this manner, sometimes the offers made are so poor that the team owning the player decides its not worth the Bad PR with some fans, and they will let him go in free agency instead. Quite often that is viewed as a player choosing to leave rather than being forced out.

If they offer the qualifying offer don't the get a draft pick?

If they offer the qualifying offer don't the get a draft pick?

That's only for restricted (young) FAs, or they put the Franchise tag on him. Come to think of it, I don't even know if they'd even get a compensatory pick for him, given his age.

Forte was limited in practice yesterday and today. Crap, is there a chance he actually plays this Sunday??

I have McCoy playing tonight and I have to start him if Langford is done already, not crazy about McCoy tonight but I might not have the luxury to wait.

No I don't see Forte playing this week , he is getting ready for his return the following week .

whos a better flex start langford vs rams or blount vs giants

PPR? Likely a push. Langford will get catches as well, and maybe even more yardage through the air against the Rams. And they haven't allowed a lot of TDs.

Standard, go with Blount I'd think. With Lewis out, Blount is the only back we know the usage of (as much as we can with any NE back). Much more likely to score, but won't get the catches.

I'm starting both of them in a 0.5 pt ppr league over Hill, and more or less expecting the same sort of points from them. Keep in mind, however, that Blount has shown the capacity to explode for big games. Langford might have that capacity, but of course hasn't shown it. The Bears as an offense don't seem to allow for that as much either.

Thought so

Bobbyn, why are you doing this to yourself? We all make a few good calls and miss a few too. Congrats on your hits....but it is bad form to bump, pump, and hump.

If you are that confident in your accuracy, then you should immediately stop working and making a few million a year in BIG money leagues, fantasy football prognosticating, and DFS.