Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Why NFL Should Give Back Picks to Pats (But Won’t)

Chickens are coming home to roost :first:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/02/21/roger-goodell-new-england-patriots-nfl-draft-picks-combine-preview

Shaky evidence, shady science and total lack of interest in learning the truth are grounds for Roger Goodell to admit he erred by docking New England draft picks for Deflategate.
Scouting combine and retirement news coming in this column, plus the Gospel According to Mayock. But first my take on the dormant story that needs to come alive, and soon.
It’s been nine months since commissioner Roger Goodell suspended Tom Brady four games, fined the Patriots $1 million and took away a first-round pick in the 2016 draft and a fourth-round pick in 2017 for the deflated footballs incident at the 2014 AFC Championship Game. The story will be back in the news next week, when the NFL’s appeal of the smackdown of the Brady suspension will be heard in a New York courtroom.
But the effect of the case will be felt in Indianapolis this week, when the New England Patriots’ delegation arrives for the combine missing something invaluable to the care and feeding of NFL franchises. Namely, the 29th pick in this draft, docked from the Patriots by Goodell. This leaves New England with no draft picks in the top 59 of an above-average draft. No one has really focused recently on the enormity of the draft-pick sanction. Last year, with the 32nd and 131st picks (the 2017 fourth-rounder likely will be around No. 130 overall), the Patriots took two players (Malcom Brown and Shaq Mason) who started in the AFC title game—two of 22 starters in their biggest game of the year.
Based on the weight of the evidence from the past 13 months, and that weight being circumstantial and not convincing, there’s one conclusion I’ve reached entering the 2016 draft season: Roger Goodell needs to give back the picks.
Whatever happens in the appeal of the case—which isn’t centered on the Patriots’ guilt or innocence but rather on a point of labor law in the judge’s decision—Goodell needs to realize he acted without nearly enough scientific evidence against the Patriots. The NFL has some significant circumstantial evidence in the case, the kind that should have prompted a strongly worded letter and $250,000 fine. Instead, Goodell killed an ant with a sledgehammer.
The only thing that would have changed my opinion on the evidence in this case is if the NFL measured the footballs before, at halftime and after all 267 regular-season and post-season games—not just selected games, which is what the league did. The NFL needed to find out what weather and precipitation and humidity and hot air and frigid air did to footballs, to see if the league’s questionable science in the Wells Report stood the test of an NFL season. The NFL doesn’t have that data because it never administered such tests. The Patriots case cried out for the league to do it this season. The fact that the NFL did so only in scattered games (according to Goodell) simply to ensure no team was cheating this year is stupid; it tells the world the league never wanted to find out the effect of weather on footballs.
Was it reasonable for footballs to lose 1.2 pounds per square inch in inclement weather, which is what New England’s footballs did that January day in Foxboro? Or would footballs in a similar environment lose far less pressure? Goodell and the NFL don’t want to know the answers.
There’s a lot of circumstantial evidence against New England. Patriots locker room attendant Jim McNally disappearing with the footballs before the AFC Championship Game for 100 seconds was wrong, and shady. McNally and team equipment assistant John Jastremski being held back from an additional interview with the Wells investigators was wrong. The six phone calls, once the NFL announced it would investigate whether the balls were deflated, from Brady to Jastremski when they rarely ever spoke on the phone doesn’t quite stink, but it’s got an odor to it. McNally calling himself “the deflator” in a May 2014 text is a bad look.
But add those all up. There’s no smoking gun. No witness, video, recording or any direct evidence linking anyone with the Patriots to deflating footballs. And then add these three things:
1. Referee Walt Anderson skates, and never should have. The Wells Report notes that Anderson, in the officials’ locker room before the game, got distracted and angry that the bag of game footballs had been taken from the room. In the 19 years Anderson had worked games, Wells reported, Anderson never lost control of the footballs before a game. This was a particularly egregious gaffe by Anderson, seeing that a league official had warned the officials before the game to be on the lookout for funny business with the footballs. This, in legal terms, is losing the integrity of the evidence. What would happen in the real world if a police officer didn’t follow proper protocol and lost crucial evidence to a case for eight or 10 minutes, during which time the evidence could be doctored? The case would be thrown out of court. The footballs were out of sight, and the league put the full blame for it on McNally and none of the blame on Anderson. The referee in the AFC Championship Game lost track of the footballs, and the NFL chose not to make it a factor—apparently because of Anderson’s pristine reputation—in its ruling. It should have been a factor, and a big one.
2. The Ideal Gas Law was abused in the Wells Report. On page 113 of the Wells Report, after a description of the scientific Ideal Gas Law, Wells wrote that the Patriots footballs should have measured between 11.32 psi and 11.52 psi. The 11 footballs that were measured at halftime of the championship game were measured on two gauges. The average of all 22 readings was 11.30 psi … 0.02 lower than what the league’s Ideal Gas Law science would have allowed for balls that started the day at the Patriots’ level of 12.5 psi. A couple of points here: The exact measurements of the footballs before the game were never written down. And there’s no indication that the measurement of footballs before games has been an exact science. I witnessed one such measurement in 2013, before the Baltimore-Chicago game, and official Wayne Mackie at one point stuck a needle in a football that was supposed to be at 12.5 psi. He measured and said, “Twelve and a half, close enough.” What does that mean? Was it 12.36, or 12.62, or something other than exactly 12.50? Regardless, no judge anywhere would bring the hammer down on a situation like this—inexact measurement before the game, an allowance of the footballs to be 11.32 psi, and the balls found at 11.30, on average. The NFL could have found out the truth this season and chose not to.
3. Did Tom Brady gain an advantage this year, presumably when the footballs every week exited the officials locker room in Foxboro at 12.5 psi? The home locker-room attendants do not travel, leading a suspicious mind to think that since no home-team employee touches a football once it’s been delivered to an officiating crew on the road, it’s only at home that the footballs could be tampered. Brady’s home passer rating this year: 102.0. Brady’s road passer rating this year: 102.4. At home this season, Brady threw 20 touchdown passes and four interceptions. On the road, it was 16 touchdowns and three interceptions. Nothing new about that, really. In the past 10 years, Brady’s had a home passer rating of 100.4 and a road rating of 100.0. Negligible.
I don’t expect Goodell to set the precedent of revisiting a sanction, especially at a time when the league will push hard to overturn Judge Richard Berman’s verdict setting aside Brady’s suspension when the case is heard in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit beginning next week. But just because the league won’t do it doesn’t mean we should forget it, or stop pointing out the errors that resulted in this discipline run amok, or point out that Goodell should do the right thing. The Patriots deserved to be slapped for Deflategate, not crushed. In fact, I'd propose giving back the draft picks but keeping in place the $1 million fine. These were reactionary, overblown sanctions. With time to reflect, they look even worse than when they were levied last May.
Owners in the NFL appreciate Goodell’s ability to look at complex issues and come up with solutions that are good for at least a majority of the franchises. You might argue in this case that Goodell had 31 other owners cheering him on, and rooting for him to smite the mighty Patriots. But I wonder how those powerful titans of business and their top club officials—one of whom told me last spring he felt the sanctions were “draconian”—would feel if the type of evidence used to slap down the Patriots and their quarterback was used against them one day.
Goodell admitted his error with Ray Rice in 2014, and was wounded by it. He can admit an error again, and should, because it’s the right thing to do. He should give the draft picks back to New England.

:dunno: they've been making up stuff to take away the Pats picks for years, but every year NE is winning, in, or a game away from the SuperBowl. If there wasn't a conspiracy against NE, they'd have won every SuperBowl since 2001 and nobody would watch the NFL anymore.

Peter King is such a honk anymore.

:wacko:

:wacko:

I think they should get the pick back, but I hate the way almost all of his columns is 80% patriots. If I wanted to read all about the patriots, I'd read those.

Anymore I read mmqb out of habit more than the content

I think they should get the pick back, but I hate the way almost all of his columns is 80% patriots. If I wanted to read all about the patriots, I'd read those.

Anymore I read mmqb out of habit more than the content

How about when Peter Kind echoed Mort's tweet about 11 or 12 balls being over deflated? was that him being a Patriots honk?

How about when Peter Kind echoed Mort's tweet about 11 or 12 balls being over deflated? was that him being a Patriots honk?

It's just every article has more than half dedicated to the patriots then his travel section.. It's just annoying.

Dr. Z was better because he'd give equal time to the whole league. I don't want to read an article about the patriots then a chocolate beer review

If there wasn't a conspiracy against NE, they'd have won every SuperBowl since 2001 and nobody would watch the NFL anymore.

:clap:

:lol:

It's just every article has more than half dedicated to the patriots then his travel section.. It's just annoying.

Dr. Z was better because he'd give equal time to the whole league. I don't want to read an article about the patriots then a chocolate beer review

The Patriots are the most controversial and successful team of the past 15 years. What percentage of football threads in the geek club mention the Patriots? RLLD mentions the Patriots constantly, even in baseball threads. Peter King writes a weekly NFL column. Its going to be rare when the Patriots don't make news for a whole week, whether it be for excellence or some perceived controversy.

If the Pats didn't have a long history of cheating, they would have received a reasonable fine and punishment. As is, a squashing was in order to cure their cheatin' ways. This year's racking will be worse.

:wave:

:dunno: they've been making up stuff to take away the Pats picks for years, but every year NE is winning, in, or a game away from the SuperBowl. If there wasn't a conspiracy against NE, they'd have won every SuperBowl since 2001 and nobody would watch the NFL anymore.

it's only fair, all the other attempts at creating parity have failed

If the Pats didn't have a long history of cheating, they would have received a reasonable fine and punishment. As is, a squashing was in order to cure their cheatin' ways. This year's racking will be worse.

:wave:

long history :lol:

This.

it's only fair, all the other attempts at creating parity have failed

so has this one though.

No 1st round pick? No problem - Pats open as 8-1, favorites to win SuperBowl next year.

It is almost a certainty that cheating handed the Pats at least one and possibly more of it's tainted championships *** so fock them. :thumbsup:

long history :lol:

True story. The American football used to be round until the Pats started slowly elongating it, looking for a unpredictable bounce. This took place over a number of years and the Cleveland Browns started thinking that it was their idea. Taking credit for the "long ball" in Cleveland kind of happened by default since it was the only idea of any kind floating around there.

Years later, the Raiders used the long ball shape to advance forward fumbles in a game played in San Diego. The NFL reacted with a rule banning advancing the ball by fumbles.

The Pats really got away with one here. This is may be the basis for the next Pats inquisition.

Oh that's right. The Pats got caught cheating AGAIN. I had nearly forgotten. Thanks for the update / reminder.

btw, I didn't read a word of that diatribe / dribble

But again, thanks for reminding me of what a cheating organization New England is. Keep me apprised of this as time goes by so I won't forget. :thumbsup: Tia.

Best way to prove you're an informed doosh, is to say it.

Oh that's right. The Pats got caught cheating AGAIN. I had nearly forgotten. Thanks for the update / reminder.

But again, thanks for reminding me of what a cheating organization New England is. Keep me apprised of this as time goes by so I won't forget. :thumbsup: Tia.

gonna cry ?

I think the Pats should get the pick back. Then edjr can bash the pick and start a thread arguing how awful the GM is up there.

I think the Pats should get the pick back. Then edjr can bash the pick and start a thread arguing how awful the GM is up there.

now this guy knows what he's talking about.

Don't worry, if they get it back, wheely dealy bill will just trade down into the 2nd round

we'll take it

has statute of limitations passed?

can't krafty bill still sue?

2. The Ideal Gas Law was abused in the Wells Report. On page 113 of the Wells Report, after a description of the scientific Ideal Gas Law, Wells wrote that the Patriots footballs should have measured between 11.32 psi and 11.52 psi. The 11 footballs that were measured at halftime of the championship game were measured on two gauges. The average of all 22 readings was 11.30 psi … 0.02 lower than what the league’s Ideal Gas Law science would have allowed for balls that started the day at the Patriots’ level of 12.5 psi. A couple of points here: The exact measurements of the footballs before the game were never written down. And there’s no indication that the measurement of footballs before games has been an exact science. I witnessed one such measurement in 2013, before the Baltimore-Chicago game, and official Wayne Mackie at one point stuck a needle in a football that was supposed to be at 12.5 psi. He measured and said, “Twelve and a half, close enough.” What does that mean? Was it 12.36, or 12.62, or something other than exactly 12.50? Regardless, no judge anywhere would bring the hammer down on a situation like this—inexact measurement before the game, an allowance of the footballs to be 11.32 psi, and the balls found at 11.30, on average. The NFL could have found out the truth this season and chose not to.

Peter King keeps repeating this and it doesn't make sense. The 2 gauges were measured and 1 produces a reading .5 pounds higher than it should. Why on earth would you average the two? That makes no sense at all.

Peter King. The worst. Anyone still reading him......

how would you know if you don't read him? :wacko:

Oh, he's very popular Hardcore. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, slvts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, d!ckheads, and football guys - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude.

how would you know if you don't read him? :wacko:

I listened to Hootie for a little while then realized they suck. Sometimes I still hear them though, but I don't put them on.

The AVERAGE of 22 was below tolerance? If the class averages a 58 on a test, I'd say there is a problem.

Especially when half the class is starting with a score of 150....someone should try to explain that to Mr. King.

I listened to Hootie for a little while then realized they suck. Sometimes I still hear them though, but I don't put them on.

wonderful analogy :wacko:

Goodall seems like the kind of guy who never, ever, admits he's wrong, no matter what, so I don't see this happening.

Best way to prove you're an informed doosh, is to say it.

>>>>>informed<<<<< :doh:

Let me know when that happens.

Goodall seems like the kind of guy who never, ever, admits he's wrong, no matter what, so I don't see this happening.

If you were to guess, which would happen first Goodell admits he was wrong, Pats fans quit crying?

troubadour, ˈtro͞obəˌdôr,-ˌdo͝or , noun

a French lyric poet composing and singing on the theme of courtly love

hardcore troubadour, hardcoreˈtro͞obəˌdôr,-ˌdo͝or , noun

a French lyric poet composing and singing on the theme of courtly love in his ass

If you were to guess, which would happen first Goodell admits he was wrong, Pats fans quit crying?

Hopefully others conjuring up alleged cheating scandals for which there is no evidence, while ignoring teams that actually get caught red-handed

The AVERAGE of 22 was below tolerance? If the class averages a 58 on a test, I'd say there is a problem.

If passing the class was a 60, the pats class would have a 59.9984