Sign in to follow this  
BunnysBastatrds

Did You Ask......

So many questions.....but did you ask your father in law for permission to marry his daughter? I did and my FIL has conventientaly forgotten that I did and my wifey believes his dying ass.

Did you?

I did also. I asked him if he wanted to go for a drive to the store and he said no. I insisted and on the way I kinda slid the ring box over towards him and he said is this for me? I was so nervous and he made it even more awkward but after it was all said and done he said, few people in life have surprised me. You just did.

Sadly we ended in divorce many years later but I am glad that I asked his permission. I think that's the proper way.

So many questions.....but did you ask your father in law for permission to marry his daughter? I did and my FIL has conventientaly forgotten that I did and my wifey believes his dying ass.

Did you?

I thought I maybe did but my wife said no. She reminded me that she is an independent type that would have killed me if I had done so. That being said, I feel like I had a tacit understanding from her parents that we were good to go. :cheers:

I asked the first fiancées father. It was funny. He was not happy, but said it was her decision. The next day at school (he was a chair of the department) one of my professors said to me "John looks like someone killed his dog. What happened?" I told him, and he laughed and said walked off.

The ex wife's father was a doosh. She and he stopped speaking before I ever met her, so I never met the guy.

I didn't. I was going to, but he avoided those sorts of things. He told my wife that he didn't want to be asked, so I didn't.

No. I was a grown ass man. I didn't need permission from anyone else.

Yes I did. And he said no - he is a devout Catholic and knew I had been divorced. My mother-in-law overheard the conversation and told him to give his permission. He compromised and said he would leave up to my future wife.

The crazy thing is, he had been divorced as well. But he petitioned the pope to overlook his misstep before he married my mother-in-law.

Good thing he doesn't know I'm atheist...

No because my wife barely has a relationship with her dad.

No, because my wife was an adult and didn't belong to her father in the first place.

Yes I did, because the wifey wanted me to. Was a fairly awkward conversation because we barely knew each other. Wifey and I had been dating for a while but we lived thousands of miles away from her folks, I think I had been to visit them once. Dude was like "uh, I guess?"

I think that people are getting confused between asking for permission and asking for a blessing. You don't ask for permission, you ask for his blessing and support.

I think that people are getting confused between asking for permission and asking for a blessing. You don't ask for permission, you ask for his blessing and support.

I didn't feel the need for those, either.

Absolutely.

I didn't feel the need for those, either.

Glad that you have such good consideration for others. I hope that your daughter ends up bringing home a huge mess. :lol:

Glad that you have such good consideration for others. I hope that your daughter ends up bringing home a huge mess. :lol:

I have two boys. I can't miss. I can hook you up if you need a male child.

:thumbsup:

But seriously, I was 27 when I asked my wife to marry me. We had been living together for two years. I should ask for his blessing and support at that point?

I have two boys. I can't miss. I can hook you up if you need a male child.

:thumbsup:

But seriously, I was 27 when I asked my wife to marry me. We had been living together for two years. I should ask for his blessing and support at that point?

You should show him some respect for raising your wife and looking after her. And thank him for raising a good person. But nah, you're arrogant so that would be out of the question.

Yes I did ask him. It was her Step Dad but I definitely did. It's the respectful thing to do

You should show him some respect for raising your wife and looking after her. And thank him for raising a good person. But nah, you're arrogant so that would be out of the question.

I don't want to speak for Frank, but I think the idea of asking dad for his blessing is sort if a throwback to the idea that his adult daughter is his property, so unless you're getting a dowry along with the wife asking permission is unnecessary. It never occurred to me to ask my future FIL because it's really not his decision it was my wife's. :dunno:

I don't want to speak for Frank, but I think the idea of asking dad for his blessing is sort if a throwback to the idea that his adult daughter is his property, so unless you're getting a dowry along with the wife asking permission is unnecessary. It never occurred to me to ask my future FIL because it's really not his decision it was my wife's. :dunno:

It's a nice respectful thing to do, and it shows that you respect him and his efforts and work. And it would make him feel good, God forbid. Yeah, he can't say no, but that's not the point.

It's a nice respectful thing to do, and it shows that you respect him and his efforts and work. And it would make him feel good, God forbid. Yeah, he can't say no, but that's not the point.

I understand why people do it, I just think it's outdated and largely not expected anymore so it's not a sign of arrogance to not do it. Frank knows his own FIL better than you Mahoney.

Pretty dumb to say you should or shouldn't do it. Depends on the people involved and it's a personal choice for all.

I understand why people do it, I just think it's outdated and largely not expected anymore so it's not a sign of arrogance to not do it. Frank knows his own FIL better than you Mahoney.

I'm sorry but I do agree with MB on this one. I find it disrespectful not to ask for permission. You already know he can't do anything about you marrying her. But he will respect it and you for doing so. It's more for that than actually just asking if you can marry her. It's not outdated. It's people's way of thinking that's screwed up. "You can't tell me whether I can or can't marry her" that's the spoiled bratty line of thinking and that's where our country is falling apart

Doesn't matter who the guy is. It's a simple form of respect, whether he wants it or not. You don't have to do it, but it would be cooif you did.

:lol:

My father in law and I had a great relationship. I respected him tremendously, as he did me.

It's still a stupid tradition that I didn't feel the need to buy into. I'm not sure why I would need to thank him for doing the job of every parent.

:dunno:

Pretty much.

My father in law and I had a great relationship. I respected him tremendously, as he did me.

It's still a stupid tradition that I didn't feel the need to buy into. I'm not sure why I would need to thank him for doing the job of every parent.

:dunno:

It would have been nice and respectful, and made the guy feel good. Would have took you 5 minutes.

I'm sorry but I do agree with MB on this one. I find it disrespectful not to ask for permission. You already know he can't do anything about you marrying her. But he will respect it and you for doing so. It's more for that than actually just asking if you can marry her. It's not outdated. It's people's way of thinking that's screwed up. "You can't tell me whether I can or can't marry her" that's the spoiled bratty line of thinking and that's where our country is falling apart

Are you serious? Massive debt, broken government, terrorist attacks, Donald Trump as the Republican nominee, and our country is falling apart because some people don't feel the need to ask their significant other's parents for their hand in marriage?

:rolleyes:

It would have been nice and respectful, and made the guy feel good. Would have took you 5 minutes.

Dumb

I must be wrong on this one. I acree with MDC and FrankM :wall:

I must be wrong on this one. I acree with MDC and FrankM :wall:

Now:

:cheers:

Ten minutes from now:

:argue:

Are you serious? Massive debt, broken government, terrorist attacks, Donald Trump as the Republican nominee, and our country is falling apart because some people don't feel the need to ask their significant other's parents for their hand in marriage?

:rolleyes:

Yes. Because when we stop doing the little stuff it eventually leads up to it. If one thing the military taught me is that if you do the little things such as make your bed you will have a greater discipline in other areas. Once we stop out discipline to do one thing then we think "oh might as well not do that either. It's no big deal since it's a small thing". This snowballs and eventually we have someone like Donald trump running for president. So yes I firmly believe when we stopped doing the little things we eventually stop doing other things and it snowballs to where do stupid sh1t

Dumb

Oh, so you think it wouldnt have been nice and respectful?

Yes. Because when we stop doing the little stuff it eventually leads up to it. If one thing the military taught me is that if you do the little things such as make your bed you will have a greater discipline in other areas. Once we stop out discipline to do one thing then we think "oh might as well not do that either. It's no big deal since it's a small thing". This snowballs and eventually we have someone like Donald trump running for president. So yes I firmly believe when we stopped doing the little things we eventually stop doing other things and it snowballs to where do stupid sh1t

I'm not even sure how to respond to someone who thinks that not following an antiquated tradition that hearkens back to the days of women as property is a reason the country is focked up.

Other than "you're retarded", that is.

Oh, so you think it wouldnt have been nice and respectful?

No, I think you're dumb.

I'm not even sure how to respond to someone who thinks that not following an antiquated tradition that hearkens back to the days of women as property is a reason the country is focked up.

Other than "you're retarded", that is.

You're line of thinking is the definition of retarded. I mean you are a Browns fan after all so that should say something right there about your intelligence. Typically the guy who calls everyone else dumb is the dumb one himself. Sooooo....

You're line of thinking is the definition of retarded. I mean you are a Browns fan after all so that should say something right there about your intelligence. Typically the guy who calls everyone else dumb is the dumb one himself. Sooooo....

Most stupid people say this. It makes them feel better.

No, I think you're dumb.

Oh, so you think it would have been nice and respectful, but you chose not to? Of course it's not necessary in this day and age, but it is still nice and respectful. You chose a different route.

Most stupid people say this. It makes them feel better.

Says the one who always calls someone dumb for saying something that opposes his view :lol: