Sign in to follow this  
oldtimer

Solid plan or just plain stupid?

I have one dynasty team, a few keeper leagues, but mostly play in redrafts. That said, I heard an interesting theory on a podcast last week. The guy, who wins quite often in the MFL 10's and apparently some higher stakes redraft leagues, does this when drafting: Instead handcuffing HIS running backs, he takes the top available handcuffs, but never to his own guys. His theory is that it's pretty rare the handcuff in the preseason winds up with the job if the starter goes down. He went on to list the top running backs who have gone down over the last 5 years, who their backup was in the preseason and the depth chart prior to week one, and he was correct. It's very very rare the guy in the backup role at the beginning of the season takes the job. You really only see that on teams with top level backups. So, he targets those top level backups instead of handcuffing his own guys. Make sense?

Do you agree with this idea or disagree? I disagreed at first, but the more I think about it, and look at the facts, the more it makes sense. I guess we won't know for a while who the "top" backups are though. Who would you take as a backup? I'm a fan of McKinnon in Minnesota, but AP is about as solid as they come, unless he's cutting tree branches. The kid behind Charles in KC is another good prospect and D. Williams should see some time in Pittsburgh. Coleman is a guy I may target towards the end of the draft, if he's still around. I'll see who is where after the preseason I guess.

It seems like I always end up drafting at least 1 top backup RB for another teams starter. I don't remember it working out for me very often if at all

I don't like handcuffs until talent as starters is depleted. Some go handcuffs way too early

I don't like handcuffs until talent as starters is depleted. Some go handcuffs way too early

I agree 100%. I have not done any redrafts this season, and won't for a while. Last year though, I saw several backups come off the board while some starters were still available. That's insane to me.

I have one dynasty team, a few keeper leagues, but mostly play in redrafts. That said, I heard an interesting theory on a podcast last week. The guy, who wins quite often in the MFL 10's and apparently some higher stakes redraft leagues, does this when drafting: Instead handcuffing HIS running backs, he takes the top available handcuffs, but never to his own guys. His theory is that it's pretty rare the handcuff in the preseason winds up with the job if the starter goes down. He went on to list the top running backs who have gone down over the last 5 years, who their backup was in the preseason and the depth chart prior to week one, and he was correct. It's very very rare the guy in the backup role at the beginning of the season takes the job. You really only see that on teams with top level backups. So, he targets those top level backups instead of handcuffing his own guys. Make sense?

Do you agree with this idea or disagree? I disagreed at first, but the more I think about it, and look at the facts, the more it makes sense. I guess we won't know for a while who the "top" backups are though. Who would you take as a backup? I'm a fan of McKinnon in Minnesota, but AP is about as solid as they come, unless he's cutting tree branches. The kid behind Charles in KC is another good prospect and D. Williams should see some time in Pittsburgh. Coleman is a guy I may target towards the end of the draft, if he's still around. I'll see who is where after the preseason I guess.

I think this can be boiled down to targeting backups who have a good chance of succeeding in the event of an injury to a starter. Looking for a good combination of talent and opportunity. You can extend that to guys who'll get a decent piece of the pie, regardless on injury and especially in PPR leagues.

I don't handcuff all my RBs for the sake of "insurance" with mediocre guys who are backups for a reason or possibly not the guy when that time comes.

I do like McKinnon as an athlete but, off the top of my head, don't think there is a long list of "waiting in the wings" types right now.

I think this can be boiled down to targeting backups who have a good chance of succeeding in the event of an injury to a starter. Looking for a good combination of talent and opportunity. You can extend that to guys who'll get a decent piece of the pie, regardless on injury and especially in PPR leagues.

I don't handcuff all my RBs for the sake of "insurance" with mediocre guys who are backups for a reason or possibly not the guy when that time comes.

I do like McKinnon as an athlete but, off the top of my head, don't think there is a long list of "waiting in the wings" types right now.

I think Mckinnon has shown well in his opportunities. I have him in one dynasty league and refuse to trade him to the AP owner for cheap. Yes if AP plays all year Mckinnon isnt going to help my team, but at the same time if AP goes down Mckinnon will probably be close to a top 10 rb imo.

The thing about backups, is it can change in the instant something major happens.

That and just because one is slotted the backup. Is on the field for more plays, doesn't mean they will be the fantasy desirable backup.

RB for instance. A team may have a RB slotted number 2 who isn't the injury replacement. but rather is a change of pace, a protection back, etc

But should the #1 goes down, it maybe the #3 that is the actual replacement back. May from a fantasy pov put up greater numbers on fewer touches.

is sometimes hard to know, with certainty until one is into the season. especially if on paper one is considered the guy to have. nile Davie

Actually, in those situations, I would rather have the #2 in a tandem backfield than a paper backup.

I totally agree. Never been a big fan of handcuffing RBs to begin with. Just take the best RB available. If you try to handcuff you are wasting a roster spot on a player who isn't playing. Many teams use a rotation of RBs to begin with. When the most talented RB is out then expect more diversity of carries.

the strategy worked for me once.

Ahman Green was the starter for the texans, he was clearly near the end of his tenure as a starting RB.

the Texans picked Slaton in the third round so I took a flyer on him late in the auction. he cost me a dollar (which was the minimum bid)

it didnt take long for Green to get hurt and Slaton to step in and take the starting job. He was a one year wonder but everyone in my draft was wondering what I knew that they didnt know.

then the next year he totally flopped. but that's another story.

Last year I had Bell and drafted Williams fairly early so that worked out for me. Too bad you can't really handcuff wide receivers and there wasn't a legit handcuff to Dion Lewis because I lost Edelman and him as well which screwed me. Otherwise I would have probably won it all. I think handcuffing, when there is a legit handcuff to be had, is not only a sound strategy but pretty much a requirement unless you have really shallow benches.

Think handcuffing is a good ideal , but sometimes I see people pass over a better option to do so

last year that was true with Kniles Davis - i'm sure there are other examples but none come to mind right now.

Why do you go for the taking of the backup or handcuff.

Why do you want to

What is the value

How can this be smart

Especially when its isn't the handcuff, but taking the understudy of anothers starter

Is it being a D. Can add some fun to the draft night. But really

is it trying to find a diamond to balance going heavy in the passing game early (wr, te, qb) I've been there deciding between taking a starter of a projected 1-15 team versus a talent on a good team especially at rb.

is it hoping for trade value later

is it belief injury will be a factor/benefit

is it the last round in draft (that doesn't count for this)

Problems that exists with it is

1. while the handcuff is lost, it is also then freeing to go best player available for the other guy.

2. you are holding someone that may not start or see playing time early in season

3. FA issues. early on. Do you keep or drop?

In someways, it is like going 3 deep at QB, when only 1 can be played. Or drafting a NE qb this year.

Only if its a guy I think is a stud in his own right.

I won a title the year priest holmes went down because larry johnson rode the bench all year for me.

I've never understood the whole "handcuff" thing. I go after the next best guy.

I can see someone with Elliot targeting his b/u because the Cowboys have a great offensive line. However, in my RB rankings, I'll add that into the equation and will likely have the Cowboys #2 RB ranked very high on my list. So, he'd be the next best option. I would target him as a RB3 for that reason, and not because I have that team's starter.

Plus, it doesn't help you during the bye week. Rather, it hurts you as you're filling a roster spot with a guy that can't be used on that bye week.

Next best guy works .

Unless you are drafting 3 RBs or less at some point most all fantasy owners are going to have to draft some form of cuff.

This doesn't make sense, because the top rated backups are going to be drafted much higher than just the random backup for whatever rb you happen to have drafted earlier. I doubt you would ever just pencil in, must draft a backup rb 10th round no matter who it is.

I rode Ron Dayne's coat tails to a championship one year, though I didn't pick him up until late in the year.

I'm not much of a fan of drafting handcuff RBs, there's just too few workhorses out there. And when/if one DOES go down the situation often just reverts to a committee.

Not a fan of chasing a handcuff .

But they are becoming more enduring to me because of the why the game today as changed .

Usually in a start 2 Rb league, I go 1 stud early, then 4 to 5 handcuffs that I platoon at #2.

For example Jamal Charles as my #1RB. Then Theo Riddock, James Starks, Karlos Williams type guys on my bench, and I just have to figure out which one I'd start that week.

Probably not the recommended route, but it's worked for me.