Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Article: Zero RB Strategy

Kirk discussed the Zero-RB strategy and built a team from the 1.06 draft position.

I haven't had an opportunity to use this approach in a mock or draft yet this season, the circumstances just haven't worked out, but I'm sure it's coming. If you've drafted a Zero-RB team, preferably in a real league, what RBs did you come away with?

In the August mock where i just drafted my last player, I took receivers with my first 3 picks. Running backs I am looking for:

Carlos Hyde or Latavius Murray. I think they both have talent and are still the undisputed top option in the run game. Volume is a big key for these guys.

A running back who doesn't catch a lot of passes but could be the starter even by week 1, Jordan Howard. He could be a 10 ppg guy, maybe even a little more depending on how many carries he gets. The Bears Oline should be better this season also.

My favorite late running back stash: Josh Furgeson. Ahmad Bradshaw was very productive when healthy as the pass catching running back for Indy. Unfortunately he is rarely ever healthy. I think we saw a lull in the production of pass catching back for Indy last year because of Lucks injury and a lack of dependable options. The Colts love Furgeson so I can easily see him flourishing in this role.

As I pointed out in another thread, since the Zero RB strategy is at an all time high in popularity this season, it seems to me to the perfect time to be a contrarian drafter and load up on premium RB's that are falling due to drafters loading up on WR's.

As I pointed out in another thread, since the Zero RB strategy is at an all time high in popularity this season, it seems to me to the perfect time to be a contrarian drafter and load up on premium RB's that are falling due to drafters loading up on WR's.

How many RBs you calling premium ?

I trust mid-round WR's more than I trust the mid-round RB's.

The issue in a few leagues might be the starting requirements. 3WR + a FLEX makes it difficult to pass the position early. Having said that, it's very feasible to start a draft from the middle-end with a combination of David Johnson and Doug Martin. If you can get at least two of Donte Moncrief, Jordan Matthews, Michael Crabtree, and John Brown with those guys, I think you have a very imposing team right out of the gates.

I trust mid-round WR's more than I trust the mid-round RB's.

The issue in a few leagues might be the starting requirements. 3WR + a FLEX makes it difficult to pass the position early. Having said that, it's very feasible to start a draft from the middle-end with a combination of David Johnson and Doug Martin. If you can get at least two of Donte Moncrief, Jordan Matthews, Michael Crabtree, and John Brown with those guys, I think you have a very imposing team right out of the gates.

I like AJ Green and Alston Jeffries, after that I can draft a mid round receiver late in the draft in a 12 team. then I can overload RBs, I looked at a list of at least 17 I wouldn't mind having after that I would have a shot at in the third round and beyond. Please look over the list and see who u can match together.

Duke Johnson and Ameer Abdullah as the best 2 RB's on the team. Yuck! No thanks!!!

The web developer in me noticed:

The web title for this article has "You're". :banana:

Duke Johnson and Ameer Abdullah as the best 2 RB's on the team. Yuck! No thanks!!!

ill simplify for you . If you draft 12 and 1 in the first and second round and go RBs with the first 2 picks by the time it reaches you for round 3 and 4 at a rate of 60 per-cent of league going WR and 40 per-cent going RB you will have around 23 WRs and 14 RBs. If you draft a lot of RBs after your 2 stud WRs you can play the player against soft defenses. Go look at the RBs on the cheat-sheet here after the top 14 RBs you can choose from that are the number 1 RB compared to the number 2 and 3 WRS you will have by going RB-RB.

• Like 1

The first time I did zero RB was 2008. It just fell that way that year. Now that so many are doing it, I think it's just a best available, besides QB, period in FF.

• Like 1

I've been going WR-WR-WR for 6 years now. Granted all my leagues are PPR but I'm not gonna change what's been working for me just because this is the year every fantasy magazine and site are finally preaching the virtues of taking WR's early. It just means I gotta do a little more homework this year but I still fully believe in the philosophy.

So concentrating on the RB's available in the 4th-7th round I'm consistently getting combinations that include the following:

CJ Anderson (one of my favorite middle round values)

Dion Lewis (obviously my opinion of him could change if favorable news regarding his injury doesn't arise the coming weeks)

Woodhead (mr consistency in PPR)

Duke Johnson (love him this year)

Gio Bernard

Matt Jones (i'd only take him if he made it to the 6th as my RB3)

Foster (if I take Foster I'm committing to taking Ajayi with the next pick)

Jennings (not sexy but he's a starting RB on a good offense)

Gore (commit to taking Ferguson later on)

Deangelo Williams (you're basically drafting a 4 week rental...if you get lucky maybe more but it's 4 solid weeks).

Obviously there are others but these are the most realistic and the ones I like the most. I'm not a fan of Langford (don't trust him), Hyde (doesn't catch passes), Matthews (doesn't catch passes), or Gordon (Woodhead will get all the catches and maybe the GL). If you like any of those guys then obviously add them to the list.

Guys I'm targeting after the 7th are:

Charles Sims (his situation is similar to Gio's...one of my favorite picks after the 7th round)

Sproles (He's still going to catch a ton of passes)

Crowell (just in case Duke gets hurt. This pick may as well say "Hue Jackson" cause that's what I'm really drafting here)

Ajayi (only if I take Foster)

Powell (Forte is old and Powell catches passes)

James White (Dion Lewis insurance)

Josh Ferguson (Gore is old)

Draughn (Hyde doesn't catch passes and gets hurt a lot)

• Like 1

I think you might be missing the point. You might end up with a squad that has both Antonio Brown and Gronk. Two I think is much safer floor than your top RBs in the draft. Last year proved especially horrible for the RBs with random freeman's blowing up. You might as well load up on Top WR,TE,QB talent while peppering your bench with mid to late round RBs and hope to get struck by lightning. The teams that won last year were people who had those David johnsons or DeAngelo Williams. There is no telling that the same will happen this year but I can see why people will employ the zero-RB theory.

For me, as someone who plays in a keeper league with an auction draft. I am leaning on same contrarian theory as Stonewall. I'll be loading up with RBs on the cheap. Some of these guys might end up being a steal next year. For example, leveon bell might go in the $30 range. Next year without suspension, he might be valued at $60. Or Jamaal Charles... people might be wary of this health and go in the $40s. He might also be in the $60s next year. I really hope everyone blows their load on Wrs and I'll scoop some of these RBs for cheap. IMO, there's a lot of WRs that you can get mid to late than I feel good about these RBs mid to late.

The only way you can really make a strategy like this work is you have to load up at the other spots. You must get top notch WRs and a top notch QB. It doesn't hurt to have one of the better TEs as well, clearly. You have to make this a priority. You can't just expect to load up on WRs and have it work either. When you do start drafting RBs you have to go for depth now that they are a more scarce commodity.

last years top notch QB was Andrew Luck before the season. I think I can get both Eli and Carr and start the better match-up. 2 of either Fleener , Eifert , or walker at TE. Just have to toss ADP out and at worst at RB i have Woodhead in my ppr league.

The only way you can really make a strategy like this work is you have to load up at the other spots. You must get top notch WRs and a top notch QB. It doesn't hurt to have one of the better TEs as well, clearly. You have to make this a priority. You can't just expect to load up on WRs and have it work either. When you do start drafting RBs you have to go for depth now that they are a more scarce commodity.

To each their own and you gotta do what works for you. I'll say this though...I've been drafting with a "modified" zero RB (I always take 3 stud receivers in the first 3 rounds but I wait on QB and TE) and it has worked great for me. I disagree fully with your statement that the "only" way it works is if you load up at all the other spots...you can still wait on QB and TE and put together and very competitive and consistent weekly producing squad.

I usually go WR-WR-WR and then 3 or 4 RB's in a row so I'm never hurting at RB and usually squeeze in some high upside guys.

• Like 1

I'm messing with Zero QB Strategy now.

Hell, when you can get a high 20s - Mid 30 TD QB (or 2) after round 10-11 regularly.

I'm messing with Zero QB Strategy now.

Hell, when you can get a high 20s - Mid 30 TD QB (or 2) after round 10-11 regularly.

Same here. Have you done any research on late QB pairings with favorable combined schedule?

....maybe for another thread.

This is definitely one of those season where I am confused on what to do. I have done a lot of mocks and the RBs thin out in some cases after five rounds. People are waking up to what Jennings did late last year and he's beginning to get taken 5-6 rounds, Rawls is getting taken 3-4 round again with news of him playing week 1. The one back that nobody knows what will happen with is D Murray. And even Foster is going higher than he should. So waiting on RB is risky and playing matchups is not that easy with number 2 backs. We don't know who will start in Baltimore and who will take over if Allen is starter and fails. There are actually sleeper WRs late with Benjamin, Dorsett, M Thomas, Smith. Also, Parker;s going mid rounds, and the trifecta of Brown, Fitz, and Floyd from the cards are available as early as 4 and as late as 6. Someone on FA each year emerges in receiving it's been a easier position to not go heavy on. As for RB it depends on if last year repeats itself.

For me I like to have a wr and a rb after 2 rounds. I don't feel compelled to overload any one position later.

For me I like to have a wr and a rb after 2 rounds. I don't feel compelled to overload any one position later.

No Me Neither.

I worked some ADP numbers, and you should be able to get a top RB in the top 2 rounds and still get great WR's.

There are actually a LOT of good WR's in the draft this year. If you come back and get Latavius in round 4 (or 5) you've got a pretty good tandem at RB. and you can still get a decent WR in round 5.

There are so many good receivers. I just think life is so much easier if I have one rb I can count on and then play roulette with the 2nd rb spot.

There are so many good receivers. I just think life is so much easier if I have one rb I can count on and then play roulette with the 2nd rb spot.

That appears to be the way to go. but (of course) it always depends on how things go at the draft table.

sometimes you gotta take what the draft gives you.

If the first 5 picks of your draft are WR, and you pick at 6, chances are good that the right call is RB.

If I get an early first round slot I'm going Wr , if I get a late first round pick I'm going to at least take a look at Rbs.

I have gone WR happy for years too. This year more than any you can score a top 5 RB in the second round. I usually hit on aleast one RB going WR heavy. Avoiding bust players which is always hard is important in the early rounds. So I feel Miller is safe if you pick late in the draft and pair with Dez/A.J for example.

In my draft last night, non ppr, there were so many quality receivers available through the draft. I took rbs in round 2 and 3, almost took another in 4. It's a good year to stock up on good running backs early and then scoop up all of the value out there at receiver if drafts go anything like mine. Ppr it may be different.

In my draft last night, non ppr, there were so many quality receivers available through the draft. I took rbs in round 2 and 3, almost took another in 4. It's a good year to stock up on good running backs early and then scoop up all of the value out there at receiver if drafts go anything like mine. Ppr it may be different.

That's what I have been saying. RB's drop like flies, so having 3 or 4 top-enders can give you a sizable advantage at the position all year. If your guys manage to stay healthy, then you have some top-end trade bait to complete any holes that may develop in your team.

Good year to be a contrarian drafter.

Been seeing the same thing in some of the mocks I've been involved in .

I've been on the take WRs early and often train , but I've notice everyone else as the same ideal , so lots of good value on board with the Rbs postion .

My best looking teams have been the ones that I've had a late draft postion and taken a Rb early .

If you've tiered correctly you stick to them early. My goal is 4 consistent starters out of the first 4. This year, the late round contrarians could go rb rb

One thing I know is I need Dougs Big Boards to fine tune my tiers

One thing I know is I need Dougs Big Boards to fine tune my tiers

And get them you shall in less than 48 hours. :first:

Mind you, the one I will submit Tuesday will be for owners in two-RB, three-WR leagues. In past years, my PPR boards have been for two-RB, two-WR leagues, which probably has led to some misunderstandings.

Thanks Doug,

My redrafts are 2 rb 2 wr ... 2015 carried up to 9 rbs and 3 wrs in rb-centric approach. 2nd place but a season against the tide. Time to adapt.

I did a zero RB run with first pick in 12 team PPR

QB Rivers, Romo

WR AB,Sammy Watkins,Keenan Allen, Steve Smith

RB Latavius Murray,Foster,DeAngelo Willaims, Rashad Jennings, Jay Ajayi,Sproles

TE Gates

Too many Chargers but i love my starting 3 WRS.

Whats the difference, if everyone else takes WRs and you take RBs you will have a list of WRs you wont be able to count on. But lucky you a RB goes down and you can get another off waivers probably. At best you get 2 what you perceive as stud backs, a third will be same value as 15 others. Ill look for a guy off waivers who I know will get some touches over a WR any day.