Sign in to follow this  
montana

#2 TEs - who are you targeting?

I usually let the top guys go & take 2 mid-range TEs & play matchup/hot hand.

Hate to say it but I'm seriously considering Cooks as my #2 flier. He's been a tease for years but he finally has a good QB...and he's flying way under the radar. I continuously get him extremely late (like the last round or 2).

Pairing him with say Barnidge/Gates/Thomas, etc...

I've also gone after Bennett, but I have to take him much earlier.

Also keeping my eyes on McDonald in SF.

Who you got?

I've been a Dwayne Allen fan forever. I think this could finally be the big season.

I just hope he can play all 16.

There is sooo much upside with late tight ends.

Cook, Mcdonald, Walford, Barnidge. Personally I like Barnidge then Mcdonald. Cook is very dependent on qb since his hands suck. I would put him last, though his qb is still Rodgers so anything can happen.

Dwayne Allen is going to have a great year. 120 Targets. Its not crazy too think 78 950 and 13.. Everyone says he is slow, but all the game tape I see on youtube is the opposite. I love him. Public sites did us a favor by missing on him and not pushing up his ADP

Gates, Allen and Miller but I'm not carrying two TEs all year unless it's a larger league or it has deep benches.

In a 12 team league I'm eying Allen and Miller as my TE's. Depending on how the draft pans out, Allen I can grab around 9 or 10 with Miller being an 11 or 12th rounder. Both have shown flashes in the past and are finally a lone starter in an offense that throws a lot.

Dwayne Allen is going to have a great year. 120 Targets. Its not crazy too think 78 950 and 13.. Everyone says he is slow, but all the game tape I see on youtube is the opposite. I love him. Public sites did us a favor by missing on him and not pushing up his ADP

Over/under Allen plays 9 games total this year. I'll say under

Sounds good to me. I'll take the over, him staying with Luck most the summer to work together and his huge year. I assume by the past team in your signature that fantasy football isn't something you excel at so I'm looking for all your opinions and doing the opposite.

My prefered te2 is to not roster 2 te and get upside rb/wr depth instead. Those bum te lotto tickets will still be there on the wire or fa if needed.

• Like 1

My prefered te2 is to not roster 2 te and get upside rb/wr depth instead. Those bum te lotto tickets will still be there on the wire or fa if needed.

Ding, ding, ding!!! We have a winner!

Can't recall a single time when I've drafted two TE's.

Now I know that during a few seasons because of injures I've finished a season or two with two TE's .

Can't recall a single time when I've drafted two TE's.

Now I know that during a few seasons because of injures I've finished a season or two with two TE's .

Years ago when I didn't spend as much time on fantasy football I use to take two QBs and two TEs for the same reason people say they do now. I use to think it was smart but when I looked back over the years I realized that it was a complete waste. Rarely did I ever hang on to that second QB or TE past the first couple weeks.

12 team wit deep bench (20 rounds)

That changes things then. Go ahead and take whoever you like then. I see no issues taking a second TE with deeper benches.

12 team wit deep bench (20 rounds)

Deep bench same deal, rather stack more rb/wrs hoping to catch that one magical year no one saw coming. A te rarely makes that big of a splash from nowhere so the upside is capped at just being a serviceable or good starting TE. If you must take a te, Walford is a cheap flier on a blossoming offense with a good qb. Also has good wrs on either side to make defenses forget about him.

I understand the sentiment, but if you end up with a TE1 with an injury history, the chances of you using a mid tier TE 2 is a lot greater than that RB/WR flier paying off. If I draft a TE2 it's an insurance policy not a lottery ticket.

Deep bench same deal, rather stack more rb/wrs hoping to catch that one magical year no one saw coming. A te rarely makes that big of a splash from nowhere so the upside is capped at just being a serviceable or good starting TE. If you must take a te, Walford is a cheap flier on a blossoming offense with a good qb. Also has good wrs on either side to make defenses forget about him.

The concern with deeper benches is that other teams are going to be taking second and third TEs which doesn't leave you with much on the waiver wire. I did a 12 team draft on Sunday with only a 6 player bench and every team took a second TE. Two of those took a third TE as well. I waited so long that the best available for me was Zach Miller.

The concern with deeper benches is that other teams are going to be taking second and third TEs which doesn't leave you with much on the waiver wire. I did a 12 team draft on Sunday with only a 6 player bench and every team took a second TE. Two of those took a third TE as well. I waited so long that the best available for me was Zach Miller.

ZM is fine, at that point you are will into the "pray for a td but hope for 50yds" range anyway. Past the top 7 or so TE thats the most you hope for.

My second tight end has been money for a few years now. Julius Thomas with Broncos, Eifert last year. Jimmy Graham when he broke out.

My second tight end has been money for a few years now. Julius Thomas with Broncos, Eifert last year. Jimmy Graham when he broke out.

Who's your magic 8 ball telling you this year?

Who's your magic 8 ball telling you this year?

Mcdonald is the guy I am really getting excited about. To be honest though, there are a lot of quality TE2s. This year is a little more difficult. But yeah if I have to nail down one guy who I thought would way outperform their adp, it's Mcdonald.

Allen is always hurt, but when he plays he has been good. A very solid redzone target.

• Like 1

I have been an utter disaster picking my TEs from the mid-range options the last four or five seasons, so I'm probably going late, late, late this time. If I'm going to screw up, I at least won't use a decent draft pick to do it.

If Gates slips to TE10-12 or so, I'm very much onboard. Losing Stevie Johnson for the year means even more red zone chances for one of the best ever, even if he's lumbering about like an old man now. I love Dwayne Allen if that doesn't work. After that, gimme Walford, or even Jason Witten's boring old 70 catches for 700 yards.

I'm also watching Ebron. I was very high on him before he got hurt and before the Lions signed Boldin, but there's a lot of preseason left for things to change.

Ditto!!!

That's a very good points about the Lions signing Boldin , he is going to steal targets away from Ebron.

Ditto!!!

I've done well at 2 TES. Gates/J.Thomas, Gronk/Kelce, Kelce/Eifert.

I'm watching Will Tye and Jordan Cameron. Will Tye was amazing at the end of last season, wondering if he can win the starter job. IF Cameron can pick up Adam Gase's offense he can easily be top 10 again. J.Thomas, M.Bennett, and Zach Miller all products of Gase.

I don't necessarily agree/disagree but considering it's round 18 thru 20 - is drafting a #4/#5 (depth chart) WR or RB better than taking say Cook or any mid to low tier TE? Even considering upside?

For the #4-#5 WR/RB to even sniff the field, you got to be praying for lots of injuries.

Considering it's 12 teams with a deep bench, most teams carry 2 TEs...maybe 1 or 2 teams may grab 3. In my experience in this league, if you only draft 1 TE, you're pretty much S.O.L. when your lone TE is on bye. It's very rare you can find a decent replacement especially if your TE's bye comes relatively late in the season (say week 9 or later) & you're spending your time chasing the RB/WR(s) flavor(s) of the week in FA.

I am in an 8 team dynasty league where we roster 23 and are only allowed 6 FA pick ups the entire season.

In this league I pick at least 2 of everything, even Kicker. I take 2 or 3 TEs.

I have had Ebron on my bench for the past 2 seasons in this league. I will keep him this season but it will be the last if he doesn't pan out again.

In other leagues with smaller rosters I have taken a 2nd TE sometimes and sometimes not. I don't think it makes too much difference. The reason being, no more than 2 or 3 weeks into the season everything will be different and you will need to make roster moves. A 2nd TE is a good candidate to be dropped. It keeps you from having to make the difficult decision of which RB or WR to drop. Just one less headache that can lead to a mistake.

• Like 1

Another good point Pole. Easier to let your #2/#3 TE go..especially after your #1 TE has had his bye. Excellent point.

• Like 1

Probably the only Buccaneer I'll draft... Cameron Brate. He's going to be the starter because Jenkins is a bum. Brate will get about 4 or 5 catches per game for about 50 or so yards and get the occasional TD. If I can get about 10ppg from a last round starter, I'll be happy. Outside of that, I can't imagine ever drafting 2 TE's unless league rules force me too. Now, if a guy like Antonio Gates is there in the 7th or 8th round and I'm comfortable with my RB's and WR's at that point, I would probably take him. Again though, I still won't draft a second TE... not even Brate.

It also depends on how flexible your lineup is.

If you can find this year's Barnidge or Delanie Walker, you're getting someone who puts up about the same as a mid-range WR2. TEs tend to be a little more inconsistent than you like, but I think it's a mistake to ignore them as a flex option.

2nd TE is usually my last pick besides kicker/defense. I don't think I'm going to take a 2nd TE this year. I will probably take Jordan Howard, McKinnon, or Ware.

2nd TE is usually my last pick besides kicker/defense. I don't think I'm going to take a 2nd TE this year. I will probably take Jordan Howard, McKinnon, or Ware.

Smart. You're much more likely to use one of those RBs than you are that late, second TE.

Smart. You're much more likely to use one of those RBs than you are that late, second TE.

Those RBs are more likely to make a difference in your season, but you're still far more likely to use a second TE than a late round flier RB.

Those RBs are more likely to make a difference in your season, but you're still far more likely to use a second TE than a late round flier RB.

Really? What back up TE am I going to use over my starter on his bye week? If my TE goes down I'll just grab a TE off waivers and most likely be fine but if my RB goes down it's going to be hard to find that replacement off waivers.

Really? What back up TE am I going to use over my starter on his bye week? If my TE goes down I'll just grab a TE off waivers and most likely be fine but if my RB goes down it's going to be hard to find that replacement off waivers.

Your example is what I conceided, and nothing what you said contradicted what I said. TE is easier to fill but you're also more likely to actually use a TE #2 due to bye week or injury, than a RB that we are simply assuming is the #2 in line, and may or may not carve out a role.

That seems crazy to me. There is only 6 bench spots and some teams are wasting two of them with backup TEs? With the need for RBs/WRs to cover bye weeks I guess no one is taking flyers on late season RBs. At least you have a ton left on the WW.