Sign in to follow this  
touchdowntwitaker

Next Barnidge is clear.. Next Thing to figure out.

I'm debating whether to drop Virgil Green for James in PPR. I think James can thrive in this O with the oppty he has in front of him.

I'm debating whether to drop Virgil Green for James in PPR. I think James can thrive in this O with the oppty he has in front of him.

I wouldn't go that far

I'm not buying.

I need to see more before I'm sold.

Don't tell a sole, But Clive Walford could be the next Barnidge.

Thats the guy im taking a flier on if I wait and stream bum tes.

Cook of the Packers could be an interesting late pick up

Any one have any thoughts about the Ravens Te situation , now that Watson is out?

But Walford is a good one .

Steelers are not a TE friendly offense. They are a wr and rb based passing attack.

That was just what I was thinking. I believe Heath Miller had a bit of a fluke season a few years back and was a strong TE1 but other than that, I don't remember Steelers TE's being a big fantasy asset.

Things can change however.

Ok, so we are looking for a guy who spent his first 6 seasons never getting thrown the ball.

Seriously, a plethora of unknown quantities @ TE this season.

Grab a flyer and/or stream if you don't get a big fish.

Walford, Cook, Miller,Gilmore on my radar at discount prices.

That's the perfect choice.

There are not enough targets to go around for JJ, Walford, Virgil.

Vance McD is in a carbon copy situation as Barnidge last year.

I agree Sir. Will anyone besides us capitalize on this info?

Steelers are not a TE friendly offense. They are a wr and rb based passing attack.

agreed.

they dont ignore the TE, but they wont use it to the point where this TE will be top 10.

I predict a top range of 400-600 yards receiving. and thats only if things go well for this kid.

this makes him fantasy irrelevant unless he gets double digit TD's or unless you are in a league where you start 2 TE(unlikely).

In terms of career ie a guy who has spent a lot of time on the bench before being utilized the best comp is Zach Miller. In terms of a FA TE who you might be able to draft with your last pick or get weeks 1-2 I'd say Vance McDonald. I do think James belongs in this discussion. So does Jared Cook.

I'm all in on Dwayne Allen. With no Fleener I think Allen will be the #1 end zone target. He signed a huge contract to keep him there and has all the talent to be a top five fantasy tight end. I think he'll be the TE that blows away his ADP.

With Bruce Ellington going down I think Vance McDonald will be the biggest benefactor. He's not some freakish stud, but he's in a situation where he'll be used and have plenty of opportunities. I think Gabbert gives him better value.

I've drafted Allen, Miller, Bennett, and McDonald. I think 9ers are being overlooked, but what I don't like about McDonald are the 6 match ups vs Sea, Ari & LA.

Great point on McDonald. As good of a situation that he's in, it will be tough sledding in those six games!! I guess the good thing is the Niners should always get blown away, so they'll be playing catch up a lot and have to throw a lot to try and get back into games?

I've drafted Allen, Miller, Bennett, and McDonald. I think 9ers are being overlooked, but what I don't like about McDonald are the 6 match ups vs Sea, Ari & LA.

McDonald didn't seem to be too concerned about the Legion of Boom (in Seattle) when he scored his first TD.

Maybe you shouldn't be either.

http://youtu.be/lOgDRec7iFE

McDonald didn't seem to be too concerned about the Legion of Boom (in Seattle) when he scored his first TD.

Maybe you shouldn't be either.

Don't be concerned about good defenses because he scored once against them?

Don't be concerned about good defenses because he scored once against them?

Don't be concerned because he will get his touches regardless of opponent? :doh:

I don't think these posters realize Barnidge played against the NFC West last year.

You might want to check the game logs... Barnidge lit them up.

Hence part of the reason why V-McD is in a carbon copy situation as Barnidge last year (team, QB, WRs, defense and opponents)

• Like 1

Don't be concerned because he will get his touches regardless of opponent? :doh:

If you get the majority of your points for touches, then you're set. If you get more points for yards and scoring, then being concerned about what defenses a player is against makes sense. If you'd said "hey, he'll score some points for you against any defense", I'd have agreed. But you said that people shouldn't be concerned about what defenses he faces. You said, essentially, McDonald is matchup-proof.

I don't think these posters realize Barnidge played against the NFC West last year.

You might want to check the game logs... Barnidge lit them up.

Hence part of the reason why V-McD is in a carbon copy situation as Barnidge last year (team, QB, WRs, defense and opponents)

Yes, like Barnidge, he doesn't have a lot of competition for targets.

Gabbert took over Game 9 last year. These were McD's stats with him:

4/4/65/1 @ Sea

7/6/71/1 vs Ari

3/2/18/0 @ Chi

4/1/10/0 vs Cin

7/5/61/0 @Det

5/3/37/0 vs StL

Two very good games there vs Sea & Ari.

If you get the majority of your points for touches, then you're set. If you get more points for yards and scoring, then being concerned about what defenses a player is against makes sense. If you'd said "hey, he'll score some points for you against any defense", I'd have agreed. But you said that people shouldn't be concerned about what defenses he faces. You said, essentially, McDonald is matchup-proof.

Let me break this down for you:

McDonald gets the benefit of Kelly's high-tempo offense which equates to more touches, which equates to more opportunities for more yards and scoring.

Now with Anquan and Vernon Davis gone, plus Bruce Ellington being out for the season, there is precious little way of WR competition. Torrey Smith is a deep threat whose skills doesn't mesh well with Gabbert's conservative approach.

Yes he's somewhat match-up proof in terms of expected targets, touches and hopefully production. Because other than Gronk, Olsen, and Walker. Mcdonald is the only other TE with legit potential to be his team's #1 WR.

Oh and to add the cherry to the top, he's gone virtually undrafted in the majority of leagues out there. So the upside is immense if you take him in the last round of your draft like I did.

Add up all of these factors and Vance McDonald is easily the breakout TE Barnidge candidate to watch this year.

Let me break this down for you:

McDonald gets the benefit of Kelly's high-tempo offense which equates to more touches, which equates to more opportunities for more yards and scoring.

Now with Anquan and Vernon Davis gone, plus Bruce Ellington being out for the season, there is precious little way of WR competition. Torrey Smith is a deep threat whose skills doesn't mesh well with Gabbert's conservative approach.

Yes he's somewhat match-up proof in terms of expected targets, touches and hopefully production. Because other than Gronk, Olsen, and Walker. Mcdonald is the only other TE with legit potential to be his team's #1 WR.

Oh and to add the cherry to the top, he's gone virtually undrafted in the majority of leagues out there. So the upside is immense if you take him in the last round of your draft like I did.

Add up all of these factors and Vance McDonald is easily the breakout TE Barnidge candidate to watch this year.

Agree with all of that except for the part back when you first indicated he was matchup proof. :) Look, we all engage in hyperbole, there's no need to try to defend it, just drop that part and you're otherwise making good sense. Matchup proof isn't something that comes in degrees, like 'somewhat matchup proof'. A player is either someone you leave in regardless of the defense, or they aren't. And Vance isn't. That doesn't mean he won't do well, won't get you points, won't get looks and touches every game. He's probably incredibly unlikely to get you a zero, which in the world of TE is good. But he ain't matchup proof. When he's facing a tough D, you'd better pay attention. Maybe still play him, but pay attention. That's my only point here, because it's the only thing you said that I'm not agreeing with so far.

Peace.

Agree with all of that except for the part back when you first indicated he was matchup proof. :) Look, we all engage in hyperbole, there's no need to try to defend it, just drop that part and you're otherwise making good sense. Matchup proof isn't something that comes in degrees, like 'somewhat matchup proof'. A player is either someone you leave in regardless of the defense, or they aren't. And Vance isn't. That doesn't mean he won't do well, won't get you points, won't get looks and touches every game. He's probably incredibly unlikely to get you a zero, which in the world of TE is good. But he ain't matchup proof. When he's facing a tough D, you'd better pay attention. Maybe still play him, but pay attention. That's my only point here, because it's the only thing you said that I'm not agreeing with so far.

Peace.

I have no issue with what you're saying at all. If you want a matchup-proof TE then the cost to acquire one goes up to the elite TEs.

If you're willing to pay the cost then more power to you. The subject is about the next Barnidge. Was Barnidge considered to be match-up proof before he broke out? Do you consider Barnidge to be matchup-proof now after his breakout year?

Look we both agree we don't see another TE (actually there is one other I'm going to keep on the down-low for now), that situation, talent, opportunity, and cost come together to produce a top ten TE, maybe even top 5 for nothing right now. If it doesn't work out we can drop him and you've lost practically nothing.

Yes pay attention to the defense if you want to, but right now he has little around him in the passing game. I'll take that with other positive variables I already mentioned and ride with that right now without hesitation.