Sign in to follow this  
Vikings4ever

Sam Bradford to the Vikes

Even at 11-5 the Vikes are not a serious championship contender and this is assuming Sam stats healthy and plays like a good QB for most of the season, something he's not been able to do for his entire career.

But sure, Bradford gets you closer to the playoffs. I just think a championship is supposed to be the goal. Then again I'm an Eagles fan so I don't know much about Super Bowls.

You've completely agreed with me there :) I don't think they are a serious contender either. What I'm saying is

A ) it's not completely insane to think they are, and

B ) if someone in management thinks they are, then this isn't a completely stupid move.

It's not a matter of spending big picks and cash to grab a superstar who will get you deep into the playoffs by himself. It's a matter, so someone, of spending all of that to get a key caretaker piece so the rest of your non-qb centered team can go where you think it was going.

*I* don't think they're going there. But if someone does, and it's not crazy to think so, it's not the worst move in the world.

What's all this 11-5 talk? Bradford has never even sniffed a playoff game.

Yeah people are getting carried away. 8-8 maybe. Or 9-7 with a sixth seed and promptly get your ass kicked in the wildcard round.

It's better than 5-11 or wherever they might've been heading with Hill, but at the end of the day, what's the difference?

I would of rather of had and picked up Vick. Even at 36, he's more assuring to me than Bradford. AND, he wouldn't have cost me a 1st, a 4th and a ridiculous $20m cap hit.....And you can save the PR concern, no worries there - the Vikes are just like everyone else. If you can play, child abuse and/or whatever else we'll work around.

Even at 11-5 the Vikes are not a serious championship contender and this is assuming Sam stats healthy and plays like a good QB for most of the season, something he's not been able to do for his entire career.

But sure, Bradford gets you closer to the playoffs. I just think a championship is supposed to be the goal. Then again I'm an Eagles fan so I don't know much about Super Bowls.

Seriously? Cmon man keep this real.

I am keeping it real. Bradford gets hurt all the time and he's a low end starter when healthy. I'm sorry.

Bcoz giving up a 1st, a 4th and absorbing a $20m contract for a mediocre (at best) qb is "keeping it real?" On what planet?

What's all this 11-5 talk? Bradford has never even sniffed a playoff game.

I'm not a Bradford fan (obviously) but I think a team with a great running game and D is always going to be in the mix for 10-11 games. And I think the situation in Minny is pretty good in that the QB won't need to throw the ball 40+ times a game to win.

So I guess in looking at Bradford's ceiling. More likely he gets hurt for a significant stretch or he's just poor and the Vikes go 8-8 and end up dealing a mid first rounder.

That's alright by me. :thumbsup:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Bradford resurrects his career in Minny. Here's why:

He has been raked over the coals for being an entitled baby who expected to be given the starting gig in Philly. While true, he has something to prove.

Last year, he was terrified of getting hurt. He had the deer in the headlights look in his eyes for the first half of the season. Once he gained confidence in his knee his game improved.

He has gone to a team where the receivers actually can catch a thrown ball.

I predict he leads the Vikes to a playoff berth and wins one playoff game before getting knocked out.

• Like 1

Vikings could actually wind up paying more than a 1st & 4th for Bradford. I don't think anyone has mentioned that the 4th escalates to a 3rd if the Vikes make the playoffs, and escalates to a 2nd if they make the NFC championship game, at least I think that's what I heard. Eagles GM has to be in the running for GM of the year after this trade, the Demarco deal, and the deal with the Dolphins this summer.

Vikings could actually wind up paying more than a 1st & 4th for Bradford. I don't think anyone has mentioned that the 4th escalates to a 3rd if the Vikes make the playoffs, and escalates to a 2nd if they make the NFC championship game, at least I think that's what I heard. Eagles GM has to be in the running for GM of the year after this trade, the Demarco deal, and the deal with the Dolphins this summer.

the 2nd round pick comes into effect if the Vikes win the whole big show is what I read earlier today

Teddy went 11-5 while throwing 14tds and 9ints.

This team can easily go 11-5 again.

Let's face it. The Vikings aren't exactly a passing team. Never have been. They just screwed themselves because they have a hurt starting QB and now they just paid through the nose for another QB that will be hurt before the seasons end. Hell they could have easily gotten someone else for a lot cheaper than Bradford that gave them the same opportunity.

Let's face it. The Vikings aren't exactly a passing team. Never have been. They just screwed themselves because they have a hurt starting QB and now they just paid through the nose for another QB that will be hurt before the seasons end. Hell they could have easily gotten someone else for a lot cheaper than Bradford that gave them the same opportunity.

Not to be a jerk, but who, and how do you know what they could have gotten that person for? No current free agents are as good as Bradford, and you and I have no idea what any other team would have wanted for any of the usual suspects who would be as good or better. We can say "someone would have been cheaper", but how do we know?

Not to be a jerk, but who, and how do you know what they could have gotten that person for? No current free agents are as good as Bradford, and you and I have no idea what any other team would have wanted for any of the usual suspects who would be as good or better. We can say "someone would have been cheaper", but how do we know?

The Sanchize would've been just as good and without the picks.

Yes Sanchize sucks but that's my point. And fock, at least Butt Fumble has won a playoff game or two in his career.

When did Bradford all of the sudden become good? He's so damn good he got passed off by the lowly Rams and a bad Eagles team - call me crazy, but he's barely worth the 4th draft pick alone.

In addition to this year's woes, the Vikes will face another in 2017.. Assuming Teddy returns ready to start, now they will have $10m tied up in a backup - real genius there I tell ya.

When did Bradford all of the sudden become good? He's so damn good he got passed off by the lowly Rams and a bad Eagles team - call me crazy, but he's barely worth the 4th draft pick alone.

In addition to this year's woes, the Vikes will face another in 2017.. Assuming Teddy returns ready to start, now they will have $10m tied up in a backup - real genius there I tell ya.

Ya the Vikes overpaid, but this just tells me that Teddy wont be recovered by next year. Personally i would rather have seen Hill start and tank the season. Its kinda like the Rams overpaying for Goff.

Re-read what I wrote. I asked who out there is "as good as" Bradford. He's a damn sight better than anyone on the free agent market at the moment. Unless you're a Case Keenum, Jimmy Clausen, AJ McCarron sort of guy. "As good as" does not mean "good" if that's supposed to indicate "top half of all starting QBs". When you say "when did he become good", you're missing my point. Unless, as I say, the guys literally not on teams right now are better. I say they aren't.

I don't see Bridgewater ready for the start of next season , but to go with Hill would have been an awful move .

I think picking up Bradford was a good move for the team and for the fans of the Vikings .

It was a move that the Vikings decision makers had to make , Hill is nothing and I can't compare his ability to Bradfords.

Re-read what I wrote. I asked who out there is "as good as" Bradford.

I read what you wrote, and I still want to know - when did he get good? Meaning - how much of a difference is there really between Bradford and Freeman, Vick or even Sanchez? Really, says who - you? Based on what - his ridiculous contract? If Bradford was worth a damn he'd already have a permanent starting gig. If you brought in a guy to hand off and throw an occasional ball - you got duped at that price.

I don't see Bridgewater ready for the start of next season , but to go with Hill would have been an awful move .

I think picking up Bradford was a good move for the team and for the fans of the Vikings .

It was a move that the Vikings decision makers had to make , Hill is nothing and I can't compare his ability to Bradfords.

They had to make a move, agreed. But they didn't have to panic and over pay.

Per peter king, teams were asking for a 1st and a key core player like Barr, Smith or Diggs.

That would have been horrible. I can stomach giving up a 1st rounder in the 20's. Not happy about it at all, but I am not going to stop watching the team because of it.

I didn't have to answer this cause it got answered for me. But there were other options out there for cheaper. Vikes got fleeced and everyone knows it.

I read what you wrote, and I still want to know - when did he get good? Meaning - how much of a difference is there really between Bradford and Freeman, Vick or even Sanchez? Really, says who - you? Based on what - his ridiculous contract? If Bradford was worth a damn he'd already have a permanent starting gig. If you brought in a guy to hand off and throw an occasional ball - you got duped at that price.

What do you mean by 'good'? Top half of the league? I'm not saying that. What I'm saying, because you're not getting the difference between good and as good as, is that there's NO current free agents who are better than he is. Vick? Six years ago, absolutely. Freeman? The headcase who lost his starting job? Sanchez? Missed the boat on that one, ask the Cowboys how long ago they had made that deal (oops). Who else you got?

As for guys currently on teams, it's pure speculation to say they could have gotten someone else for cheaper. Unless you have inside info to the calls they were placing. If so, heck, let's hear it.

What do you mean by 'good'? Top half of the league? I'm not saying that. What I'm saying, because you're not getting the difference between good and as good as, is that there's NO current free agents who are better than he is. Vick? Six years ago, absolutely. Freeman? The headcase who lost his starting job? Sanchez? Missed the boat on that one, ask the Cowboys how long ago they had made that deal (oops). Who else you got?

The evaluation questions is: Do you think Bradford is a 1st round pick and a 4th round pick better than Vick, Sanchez or Freeman. You're in a fantasy world if you think so - no way he is... Word is Jerry was told by Cleveland that the price for McCown was a 2nd rounder, he passed - thank Gawd. But I'd sure and hell would rather give up a 2nd for McCown than what Minny did for Bradford.

I personally hope Minny strikes gold and this pays off. I'm a big Zimmer from his days here - but I wouldn't bet on it.

The evaluation questions is: Do you think Bradford is a 1st round pick and a 4th round pick better than Vick, Sanchez or Freeman. You're in a fantasy world if you think so - no way he is... Word is Jerry was told by Cleveland that the price for McCown was a 2nd rounder, he passed - thank Gawd. But I'd sure and hell would rather give up a 2nd for McCown than what Minny did for Bradford.

I personally hope Minny strikes good and this pays off. I'm a big Zimmer from his days here - but I wouldn't bet on it.

Good, yeah, that's a better question :)

Sanchez: he was gone to the Cowboys already, so not in the picture. Those two moves happened pretty much the same day, but it's coming out that the Cowboys had locked Sanchez down well before then. Teddy was injured the 30th, so it's possible the Vikes could have gotten a trade before he was cut, horning in on the Dallas deal. But Denver gave Dallas permission to talk to Sanchez--that smacks to me of Denver looking the other way to Sanchez could go where he wanted to go.

But let's say the Vikes could have gotten him away from Denver for a better deal. Here are two sets of QB ratings from 2010 to 2015...set 1: 75.3, 78.2, 66.9, 88.4, 80.7. Set 2: 76.5, 70.5, 82.6, 90.9, 86.4.

First set is Sanchez, and that 80.7 was on only 616 yards. Second set is Bradford. Second set is better. So no, I don't think Sanchez would have been better than Bradford.

Vick: cutting it short, gotta go eat :) But Vick hasn't been good for years now. Buying a guy who was good 5 years ago won't help your team. Worse than Bradford.

Freeman: a trainwreck of a personality. His mental collapse in Tampa wasn't insignificant. And he played for the Vikes once before. Went to the Vikes right after his Tampa collapse, started a game as the #1, and rode the bench as the #3 the rest of the year. They don't like him or think he's good. He sat behind Ponder and Cassel. Giants, Dolphins, Brooklyn Bolts, and the Colts later...no, he's no good. Worse than Bradford.

Could those guys have been gotten for cheaper? Sure. And there go your SB hopes. Just stay with Hill at that point.

Here's MN's GM Spielman on what was happening when Teddy went down:

there was blood in the water and teams knew it. The price was too high. I didn’t want to mortgage our future. Some teams asked for a first-round pick and a core young player. I can understand the pick. But we worked too hard over the past three years to put all that time and energy into drafting and developing a solid core of this team. I was taken aback who they were asking for. Players who’d been in the Pro Bowl. I mean, in the off-season you’ve got time. There’s not blood in the water in the off-season. But now there was.

Anyway, gotta run for dinner. Sorry if I came off jerky at all, have a good night. :)

Past 5 years the league has not been adequatey developing Quarterbacks.

It has become too frequently common place for teams to go into the season with 1 starting and 1 credible backup qb and a 3rd that can qualify on the practice squad.

Does the Dallas and Minnesota reality finally find our way to expanding the roster and practice squad numbers.

Why 53, why not 55 or 58? 55 would make some sense 22 offense, 22 defense 11 special teams = 55.

Why 10, why not 11 or 15?

I mean the lack of development dollars will be the undermining of the NFL. Look at the NBA, First it was class-ism and then a void of talent that has diminished that league. Can you see yourself watching the NFL if quality of the game were less than college game. I mean my lack of desire to pay attention to the NBA is just that.

Past 5 years the league has not been adequatey developing Quarterbacks.

It has become too frequently common place for teams to go into the season with 1 starting and 1 credible backup qb and a 3rd that can qualify on the practice squad.

Does the Dallas and Minnesota reality finally find our way to expanding the roster and practice squad numbers.

I'm not sure I'm following you. How would expanding rosters help qb development?

I don't think the problem is lack of qb development programs, the problem is the pool is just too thin on good ones. And the main reason for that is expansion. It's not easy finding 32 quality starters and 32 quality backups.... But roster expansion could be (and prolly will be) a powerful bargaining chip for the Players' Union come time for talks about lengthening the season to 18 games.

QB depth is at a low.

Which is to be expected, as there is a cyclical pattern at all positions in the league.

But, there has also been a trend where in NFL teams are not carrying 3 QB on their active rosters.

Problem is, the QB position is the most pivotal position in the NFL. The QB position requires the most development of any in the NFL.

No matter how well a player excelled in the college ranks. NFL is a different level of football and as such requires a different level of skill development.

put it into perspective.

How often is an NFL QB being developed outside of the NFL. CFL, Arena, semi-pro. Is uncommon for an NFL QB to take that path.

As such, it is imperative the NFL places an emphasis on developing this position within itself.

By teams going lite at QB within their rosters. These teams are cannibalizing themselves and shorting the leagues future.

However, just as important as it is for QB's. Is developing and maintaining adequate depth at the Offensive Line. A position, imo, that is huring by the reduced training rules implemented by the league. Side note, IMO the NFL should adopt a MLB training practice where in the QB and the Oline would report a week or 2 ahead of the rest.

With increased emphasis on passing. It also as important to carry larger numbers of receivers.

Hence why I think it is past time for the roster and practice squad numbers to increase.

But, there has also been a trend where in NFL teams are not carrying 3 QB on their active rosters.

Problem is, the QB position is the most pivotal position in the NFL. The QB position requires the most development of any in the NFL.

No matter how well a player excelled in the college ranks. NFL is a different level of football and as such requires a different level of skill development.

I'm still not convinced qb depth is at any kinds of all time lows bcoz of lack of development. I think it's just a numbers game, not enuff quality ones to go around. And again, that's a direct result of expansion - not development opportunities.

Bcoz of the guidelines in the new CBA teams are only allowed so many practices and meeting times. And as you know now, even the backups don't see snaps during the week - they are watching during practice as the starters eat up the reps. How would a 3rd qb watching, behind the backup watching, improve depth? ..... There was a 3rd QB rule that was terminated in 2011 - so teams did have it for a while. Unless I'm mistaken, there wasn't any more quality depth back then as there is now... In essence teams still have 3rd qbs on their teams now - via practice squad guys. Once they clear waivers they are still involved in being on the field and honing their craft. In fact, they are getting more work there than they would watching the starter take reps all week. And of course, they are free and available to any team who may want to pick them up.

College Football is to blame for lack of QB talent. You can thank all of the spread offenses for this.

• Like 1

I have to disagree on your assessment of Bradford. He sucks. And it's not a stats thing so much as he just doesn't have the fortitude. Plus the question isn't "can he replace Bridgewater" but "did you just trade a first and a fourth for someone that could conceivably guide you to a championship." The answer to the latter question is clearly "no."

Maybe Bridgewater wasn't the answer either. Maybe minny could have used that first round pick to find HIS replacement or maybe they use that fourth rounder on a flier like Dak Prescott or (dare I say) Tom Brady.

All I have to say is I'd rather go to war with Bradford (if healthy) than with Bridgewater.

• Like 1

All I have to say is I'd rather go to war with Bradford (if healthy) than with Bridgewater.

Harsh, man. The corpse of his career isn't even cold yet

College Football is to blame for lack of QB talent. You can thank all of the spread offenses for this.

This. They don't worry about grooming the QBs for the NFL. They are only focused on winning. They lose that QB after 4 years so their interest isn't on them. They are focused on their next QB

This. They don't worry about grooming the QBs for the NFL. They are only focused on winning. They lose that QB after 4 years so their interest isn't on them. They are focused on their next QB

The days of the exclusive Veer and Wishbone in college football are long gone. Most big time programs are playing the game in the air more than ever. Countless teams operate almost exclusively out of the gun. The read option is a player, but the game is still played vertically now. Qbs are coming out of college more NFL groomed than they ever have before.

I'm just glad it's not my team pulling these bonehead desperation moves anymore. Hope the Vikes at least got a cigarette.

The days of the exclusive Veer and Wishbone in college football are long gone. Most big time programs are playing the game in the air more than ever. Countless teams operate almost exclusively out of the gun. The read option is a player, but the game is still played vertically now. Qbs are coming out of college more NFL groomed than they ever have before.

Lots of people would argue against this. There are not a lot of "pro style" offenses, and many college QB's struggle in read progression. Throwing the football 50+ times in college doesn't necessarily equate to grooming...especially when college o-coordinators shrink the field to only one side or only give the QB two read options before telling them to run.

Lots of people would argue against this. There are not a lot of "pro style" offenses, and many college QB's struggle in read progression. Throwing the football 50+ times in college doesn't necessarily equate to grooming...especially when college o-coordinators shrink the field to only one side or only give the QB two read options before telling them to run.

I would welcome the discussion with anyone who believes there has ever been a time when college qbs were more prepared to join the NFL than they are now.

Ooh, I missed this comment. Good point.

College coaches are paid tons of money to win games, not to prepare players for the NFL. If your big name team has a losing season, the AD won't keep you on and the boosters won't like you just because your last QB went high in the draft. It's not their job to prepare players, they aren't a farm league, so they're not going to.

Now, if the NFL decided to make them a farm league and colleges started paying their players...things might change.

College Qbs are not better prepared now than they used to be. College is more about qbs running than throwing these days. It is pretty much proven that you have to be able to throw the ball down field with high accuracy to be a big time qb in the NFL. Todays college game is all about the running QB. It could be said that the NFL will transition to running quarterbacks but we havent seen many running qbs winning playoff games yet aside from Cam and he is a freak of nature with his size and ability to throw and run. And even Cam needs some improving in the throwing game.