Sign in to follow this  
jgcrawfish

Bad draft, now what?

In 6 years of our work league, this is the 1st time I felt like I didn't walk away with a team that was a top 3 roster in the league. 12 teams, PPR. Clearly guys were doing their homework this year. Saw guys doing more mock drafts, reading more and they made better decisions. Guys I was targeting to pull the trigger on ahead of their ADP kept getting taken a pick or two ahead of me.

I'm already looking at deep sleepers and putting them on my watch list. Looking at trades before the season even begins because I feel like I need to shore up some holes in the roster.

Anybody else got any teams leaving you like this?

roster fwiw:

2 Le'Veon Bell, Pit RB
23 Christian McCaffrey, Car RB
26 Keenan Allen, LAC WR
47 Carlos Hyde, SF RB
50 Martavis Bryant, Pit WR
71 Stefon Diggs, Min WR
74 DeVante Parker, Mia WR
95 James White, NE RB
98 Andrew Luck*, Ind QB
119 Eric Ebron, Det TE
122 Philip Rivers, LAC QB
143 Jacquizz Rodgers, TB RB
146 Cooper Kupp, LAR WR
167 Steelers D/ST D/ST
170 Austin Hooper, Atl TE
191 Chris Boswell, Pit K

Your WR are your weak spot, I'd say. I don't trust Allen to produce, Bryant could drug his way out of the league again, Diggs is iffy. Your RBs look okay for PPR. Is there a Luck fan in the league, or someone with a shaky QB? You could run with Rivers and try trading Luck away for a WR upgrade.

Maybe cuz you picked 2nd. McCaff will be interesting. Hyde doesn't get as many receptions! Maybe this year with new coaching.

Allen is a beast if he stays healthy

In 6 years of our work league, this is the 1st time I felt like I didn't walk away with a team that was a top 3 roster in the league. 12 teams, PPR. Clearly guys were doing their homework this year. Saw guys doing more mock drafts, reading more and they made better decisions. Guys I was targeting to pull the trigger on ahead of their ADP kept getting taken a pick or two ahead of me.

I'm already looking at deep sleepers and putting them on my watch list. Looking at trades before the season even begins because I feel like I need to shore up some holes in the roster.

Anybody else got any teams leaving you like this?

roster fwiw:

2 Le'Veon Bell, Pit RB
23 Christian McCaffrey, Car RB
26 Keenan Allen, LAC WR
47 Carlos Hyde, SF RB
50 Martavis Bryant, Pit WR
71 Stefon Diggs, Min WR
74 DeVante Parker, Mia WR
95 James White, NE RB
98 Andrew Luck*, Ind QB
119 Eric Ebron, Det TE
122 Philip Rivers, LAC QB
143 Jacquizz Rodgers, TB RB
146 Cooper Kupp, LAR WR
167 Steelers D/ST D/ST
170 Austin Hooper, Atl TE
191 Chris Boswell, Pit K

I dont think this is a bad team at all.

your RB are solid. you have Bell and Hyde and a top Rookie (McCaffrey) who may turn out to be a top end RB2 or low end RB1

Keenan Allen is a #1 if he can stay healthy

Diggs, Parker, and Bryant are all solid #2 WR's with WR1 upside. if any of these guys emerges as a WR 1 you will have a very good set of WR's.

if Keenan Allen stays healthy, you may have championship calibre WR's.

Luck is a very good, but not elite #1 QB. Nothing wrong there and Phil Rivers I think will have good WR's to throw to for once, so I think his numbers will be very good also.

The only complaint I'd have if this were my team is Ebron at TE and Pittsburgh as your team D but you can probably get an upgrade for both on the wire at some point this year.

I think there is a good chance you will win your draft this year if you can get waiver wire upgrades for the positions mentioned above.

I dont think this is a bad team at all.

your RB are solid. you have Bell and Hyde and a top Rookie (McCaffrey) who may turn out to be a top end RB2 or low end RB1

Keenan Allen is a #1 if he can stay healthy

Diggs, Parker, and Bryant are all solid #2 WR's with WR1 upside. if any of these guys emerges as a WR 1 you will have a very good set of WR's.

if Keenan Allen stays healthy, you may have championship calibre WR's.

Luck is a very good, but not elite #1 QB. Nothing wrong there and Phil Rivers I think will have good WR's to throw to for once, so I think his numbers will be very good also.

The only complaint I'd have if this were my team is Ebron at TE and Pittsburgh as your team D but you can probably get an upgrade for both on the wire at some point this year.

I think there is a good chance you will win your draft this year if you can get waiver wire upgrades for the positions mentioned above.

I drafted Keenan last year in the 2nd round as my 1st WR, lost him for the season the first week, so I was gunshy for sure. But the options on the board didn't offer the PPR upside that he has. It's easy to label him as injury prone, but some are just freak things. How often players get lacerated kidneys? I reached on McCaffrey, but the PPR upside there was too great as well. He may end up being something like a Ty Hill/Le'Veon Bell hybrid. Carolina is going to move him all over the place. As you mentioned, I really got screwed at the QB and TE spot when guys who already had one of each sort of unexpectedly starting grabbing quality backups. I sort of made a panic move for Luck, but redeemed myself because I actually think Rivers is going to have a BIG year, plus it was just announced they are getting Mike Williams back off pup, so he has even more weapons available. Melvin Gordon, Keenan Allen, Tyrell Williams, Mike Williams, Hunter Henry and Antonio Gates is a lot of firepower. I'm hoping that Hooper in ATL continues to emerge, he was putting up good #'s last year before he got hurt, and somebody aside from Julio has to catch some passes. I may look at trading Luck for a QB and trying to get a TE in the process.

I feel like it's gonna take more work during the season because the team doesn't feel as strong out of the gate.

Oh, and the Steelers D is a homer pick, but with some logic behind it. They were a borderline top 10 defense last year and were definitely better in the 2nd half of the season. I don't put much value on on Defenses anyway, I sort of prefer to stream them. But i think you see bigger sack totals and turnovers from them than expected.

:overhead:

Good team.

Nothing wrong with it.

I've done a lot worst.

McCaffrey I have seen going mid-3rd, wonder what WR you could have gotten instead and in the begin 3rd get McCafrey or Hunt. Or Gronk if he was around.

I am not a fan of Allen, Luck, White, Rivers, Ebron.

I do like the pick in the 1st round though.

Not a bad team, but belongs in little help section.

Wasn't an attempt to get help or to rate my team. The topic was more about the changes in my league. There is so much information and so many experts out there that everyone is getting better and the advantage of being better informed is disappearing.

There is no bad draft...yet. Wait to see how things shake out and be aggressive on the ww

Wasn't an attempt to get help or to rate my team. The topic was more about the changes in my league. There is so much information and so many experts out there that everyone is getting better and the advantage of being better informed is disappearing.

The change in the last 4 or 5 seasons has been really dramatic. Yahoo is the perfect example--there's instance analysis right next to the player's name, a click away for the guy who peeks at his team once Thursday afternoon and once more Sunday morning. The guy who used to have to rely only on luck now gets to rely on expert analysis compiled into his league page. Even the analysts have to change their approach. Everyone under the sun has more or less reasonable and reliable rankings, so a FFB site needs to go deeper. Now every site is filled with 'Sleepers!" articles...which then get linked to by the league sites, so the lazy dude even knows who all the good backups and sleepers are after a five minute review.

The change in the last 4 or 5 seasons has been really dramatic. Yahoo is the perfect example--there's instance analysis right next to the player's name, a click away for the guy who peeks at his team once Thursday afternoon and once more Sunday morning. The guy who used to have to rely only on luck now gets to rely on expert analysis compiled into his league page. Even the analysts have to change their approach. Everyone under the sun has more or less reasonable and reliable rankings, so a FFB site needs to go deeper. Now every site is filled with 'Sleepers!" articles...which then get linked to by the league sites, so the lazy dude even knows who all the good backups and sleepers are after a five minute review.

Yep, that's it in a nutshell.

I think your team is pretty good. I believe the key is Allen. I drafted him the same place you did and I really like my draft IF he stays healthy. I think your draft is good and Allen can make it a championship team by just staying healthy.

I think Hyde will be a fine RB2/flex and if mccaffrey works out then you're even stronger. People are sleeping on SF this year and I think this offense will be different, even with a terrible QB.

Diggs will get receptions, maybe not a ton of yards or TDs but he's a solid player week to week with a decent floor. Allen can produce if he can stay healthy and even be elite. Bryant and Parker I don't love for PPR but I still think they have value due to their big play ability.

James White could be more valuable with edelman down and could be a decent filler for bye weeks.

Rodgers is going to give you 3 games of decent flex/rb2 production while you see what mccaffrey can do.

Don't love your TE situation, but it's not terrible. Hooper could pan out to be a sleeper.

QB I think you're fine.

I don't see what the problem is. I'd happily play that roster in a 12 man PPR.