Sign in to follow this  
Hardcore troubadour

MLB 2018

The Tigers shouid just forfeit the rest of this one and play the second game.

Yankmees lost to Mike freakin Fiers! lol

Hey, at least Judge set a record for most K’s EVER in a DH!

Congrats!

Yankmees lost to Mike freakin Fiers! lol

Hey, at least Judge set a record for most Ks EVER in a DH!

Congrats!

Oh no. Standings boy. Check out the trophy case too.

I was thinking about the record number of strikeouts, while watching the Red Sox on Saturday.

I remember growing up, when a batter had a 3 ball count, pitchers typically would throw their fastball. So many pitchers have such good secondary and 3rd pitches, they can throw anything in any count.

Couple that, with the batters never choking up and not caring if they whiff. It's silly how many strikeouts there are. Christ, even relief pitchers don't throw heat all the time anymore.

Barry freaking Bonds choked up for fock sakes. No one, ever does anymore. Not even punch and judy hitters, they are all trying to hit bombs

I was thinking about the record number of strikeouts, while watching the Red Sox on Saturday.

I remember growing up, when a batter had a 3 ball count, pitchers typically would throw their fastball. So many pitchers have such good secondary and 3rd pitches, they can throw anything in any count.

Couple that, with the batters never choking up and not caring if they whiff. It's silly how many strikeouts there are. Christ, even relief pitchers don't throw heat all the time anymore.

Barry freaking Bonds choked up for fock sakes. No one, ever does anymore. Not even punch and judy hitters, they are all trying to hit bombs

Last game I watched (Houston/Boston on Sunday night), they had a great slo-mo of Bregman choking up on a 2 strike pitch that he served into left for a base hit on a broken bat. Guys will still choke up.

All true.

Even in todays youth leagues, kids are being taught that game is all about driving the ball into the gaps or out of the park.

The old adage of swing level is out of most coachs vernacular because were trying to teach kids about launch angles and swing paths.

Protecting the plate with 2 strikes is still a legit strategy, but its rarely seen anymore. I suspect most current MLB players have never really learned to do it.

Slap hitting is a big thing in softball though.

All true.

Even in todays youth leagues, kids are being taught that game is all about driving the ball into the gaps or out of the park.

The old adage of swing level is out of most coachs vernacular because were trying to teach kids about launch angles and swing paths.

Protecting the plate with 2 strikes is still a legit strategy, but its rarely seen anymore. I suspect most current MLB players have never really learned to do it.

I have been coaching youth baseball for 10 years. Lots of levels. I have never heard a coach talk launch angle. Never.

I have heard (and teach) line drive up the middle, protect the plate with 2 strikes, choke up when needed.

All true.

Our resident good guy Patweisers, is quite the slap hitter I hear.

Last game I watched (Houston/Boston on Sunday night), they had a great slo-mo of Bregman choking up on a 2 strike pitch that he served into left for a base hit on a broken bat. Guys will still choke up.

That's extremely rare

I have been coaching youth baseball for 10 years. Lots of levels. I have never heard a coach talk launch angle. Never.

I have heard (and teach) line drive up the middle, protect the plate with 2 strikes, choke up when needed.

We do here. We teach the hitters to drive the ball.

In fact we take the line drive up the middle one step further, and tell the kids their goal at the plate is to drive the ball to the fence in center field.

I actually cringe when I hear parents telling their kids to swing level.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/sports/mlb-launch-angles-story/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.e3181e5f99b7

We do here. We teach the hitters to drive the ball.

In fact we take the line drive up the middle one step further, and tell the kids their goal at the plate is to drive the ball to the fence in center field. at the pitchers head

I actually cringe when I hear parents telling their kids to swing level.

:thumbsup:

so did anyone else feel their team scored on the first day on the MLB draft as much as I felt the Royals did? Having two picks at the end of the first as compensation for Hosmer and Cain will hopefully pay off. Amazed at how much pitching the Royals went after, but it feels like there are more successes with drafting college arms than HS arms, while there has been more success in drafting HS bats.

Swinging with a slight uppercut isnt exactly new.

One potential drawback is creating too much topspin. Its all been analyzed to death, but I was enlightened after I watched Kris Bryant talk about it, then moreso when I attended a Cubs hitting clinic.

The coach there showed the kids the difference in swinging down vs swing slightly up, then showed them how using the lower half adds power.

Ted Williams in his book The Science of Hitting, advocated swinging with a slight uppercut.

I miss the days of Walt Hriniak

He is really having a good season. Longoria, mccutchen, posey, pence "should" be providing enough run support, but we still see a lot of 0s, and 1s. Thought if they could remain competitive until bum and samardizja come back they would be fine.

so we will see if the giants can make a decent push with bum back. no one has taken the west yet. would be nice to get cueto off of DL at the same level of his injury (3-0 in 5 starts; .84 era; .69 whip; 26 k in 32 ip).

Royals are officially sellers :banana:

committed to the rebuild, suck for a top 5 pick and load up on young talent. With the trade today, Fox Sports KC says the Royals have added 28 pitchers to their system.

Yanks with another tight win last night, big boys went boom, keeping pace with the Sox. Hats off to Boston who keep getting it done without Betts. Rodriguez doesn't give the Sox a lot of innings, but usually gives a quality start. Yankees need a pitcher.

I'm pumped for the Subway series this weekend.

Says no Met fan evah

Red Sox won again :sleep:

Cubs and Brewers start another 3 game set on Monday. Cubs 1 game back.

It's June 7. Meh

It's June 7. Meh

Tell that to the 20+ teams whove been forced into a one game playoff to decide their post season fates.

A good game is good no matter when it happens.

So when is this Yankee boycott of ESPN starting and can they extended it to other networks, like FOX, MLBN, FS1, etc...

MLB and ESPN did as they were told and moved the Yankee game back to its original start time. Good boy.

MLB and ESPN did as they were told and moved the Yankee game back to its original start time. Good boy.

That was a given.

I'm a little sad that the Red Sox and Yankees, barring disaster, at best will meet in the ALDS and not the ALCS :(

That was a given.

I'm a little sad that the Red Sox and Yankees, barring disaster, at best will meet in the ALDS and not the ALCS :(

Yeah but it will be a good Pennant chase. The Yankees aren't the best equipped team for a one game playoff, especially if that one game is against Houston. The division means something

Yeah but it will be a good Pennant chase. The Yankees aren't the best equipped team for a one game playoff, especially if that one game is against Houston. The division means something

Bigly

Seattle won't keep it up. (I base that on nothing, but the fact they are seattle)

That was a given.

Its only June 7. Nothing is settled yet.

Its only June 7. Nothing is settled yet.

the Sox and Yankees cant meet anywhere, but the ALDS

It's impossible for them to meet in the ALCS

That's my point

eta:

does mlb reseed?

There is NO WAY the Sox and Yankees can meet anywhere, but the ALDS

That's my point

No sh!t. But its still only June 7. Remember?

No ######. But its still only June 7. Remember?

NO sh1t, but that's wasn' my point. did I not say barring a disaster?

fock off

NO sh1t, but that's wasn' my point. did I not say barring a disaster?

fock off

You said earlier that its only June 7 when I mentioned the Cubs/Brewers. I was ribbing you about that by alluding to the possibility that although not likely, either or both the Yanks/Sox could collapse in the 2nd half.

Watch a game sometime. Or fock off yourself. Either way works for me.

You said earlier that its only June 7 when I mentioned the Cubs/Brewers. I was ribbing you about that by alluding to the possibility that although not likely, either or both the Yanks/Sox could collapse in the 2nd half.

Watch a game sometime. Or fock off yourself. Either way works for me.

It's not the NBA assbag

It's not the NBA assbag

Want the last word today ya big baby? Go ahead, take it. Its all yours.

the Sox and Yankees cant meet anywhere, but the ALDS

That's my point

eta:

does mlb reseed?

They can meet in the ALCS...

The wildcard game winner plays the team with the best record in the AL... If the AL East division winner finishes with the second or third best record in the AL, they don't play the wildcard team in the division series...

Subway series tonight. Not nearly what it once was, but still kinda fun. The Mets can still pitch, wouldn't shock me if they won 2.

Our resident good guy Patweisers, is quite the slap hitter I hear.

When the situation calls for it (out of HRs...they are limited) and I don't wanna take the chance of having a 3B or SS making a great play and potentially turning a double play, I will go to the right side. But for the most part I just try to hit bombs. In other words, I don't like to have to run fast.

When the situation calls for it (out of HRs...they are limited) and I don't wanna take the chance of having a 3B or SS making a great play and potentially turning a double play, I will go to the right side. But for the most part I just try to hit bombs. In other words, I don't like to have to run fast.

Punch and Judy :Mr-T: