Sign in to follow this  
New Study: Global Warming Is 'Not As Bad As We Thought'...

This is utter rubbish and comically so. Something out of a summer blockbuster movie script. Absolutely none of this will happen in the next century. Complete lunacy, the temperature will maybe rise a fraction of a degree and sea levels might rise an inch. Or none of that happens and the climate gets cooler and we have another ice age, who knows? The climate will change, naturally, like it has done since the dawn of time on earth.

Wow. Are we agreeing on something? Could this be the beginnings of a beeyoootiful relationship :wub: ?

TBBOM, you've clearly drunk the koolaid. Hell, you've drunk Everclear and Absinthe with a splash of koolaid. Bartender, I'll have what he's having. :cheers:

Anyway, let's say your doom and gloom is all inevitable. Here is what I don't get. Climate alarmists are sooooo concerned about the effects of the earth warming. But pretty much all of the trillions of dollars are being put into the MMCC machine to browbeat people and companies and countries to reduce their carbon footprint or whatever. So... why is little to no money being invested in actually reducing the warming of the earth? :dunno:

Here is what I don't get. Climate alarmists are sooooo concerned about the effects of the earth warming. But pretty much all of the trillions of dollars are being put into the MMCC machine to browbeat people and companies and countries to reduce their carbon footprint or whatever. So... why is little to no money being invested in actually reducing the warming of the earth? :dunno:

I don't see where you'er gooing with this.

You're saying money spent reducing the carbon footprint is not money being spent reducing the warming of the earth. Well, then how would that money be better spent?

You're saying money spent reducing the carbon footprint is not money being spent reducing the warming of the earth. Well, then how would that money be better spent?

I'm saying to invest money into research to actually cool the earth, independent of the cause. Because if it isn't (all) due to mankind and the Titan's doomsday scenarios hit anyway, apparently we be focked.

And I'm not even saying "better." It just strikes me as odd that this isn't being done. The lack of interest in it implies to me that climate alarmism is more about being an anti-mankind cult than addressing a serious problem. :dunno:

I'm saying to invest money into research to actually cool the earth, independent of the cause. Because if it isn't (all) due to mankind and the Titan's doomsday scenarios hit anyway, apparently we be focked.

And I'm not even saying "better." It just strikes me as odd that this isn't being done. The lack of interest in it implies to me that climate alarmism is more about being an anti-mankind cult than addressing a serious problem. :dunno:

So you want to build a big ass air conditioner or something?

• Like 1

So you want to build a big ass air conditioner or something?

Maybe, if we could vent the heat into space somehow. I think the laws of thermodynamics would still get us in the end, but there are no bad ideas in brainstorming. :cheers:

Maybe, if we could vent the heat into space somehow. I think the laws of thermodynamics would still get us in the end, but there are no bad ideas in brainstorming. :cheers:

Here are some ideas...

Maybe a big sun filter in space? Like a big ass uv blocking lens or something. And on holidays we could change the color, red white and blue on the fourth, etc.

We really just need to figure out a way to get rid of several trillion gallons of seawater. Perhaps some sort of siphon hose into space or something.

Here are some ideas...

Maybe a big sun filter in space? Like a big ass uv blocking lens or something. And on holidays we could change the color, red white and blue on the fourth, etc.

We really just need to figure out a way to get rid of several trillion gallons of seawater. Perhaps some sort of siphon hose into space or something.

:cheers:

Also it just occurred to me: ice is less dense than liquid water, hence why it floats. So if an ice cap melts, shouldn't that have a net effect of lowering the sea level? :dunno:

Also it just occurred to me: ice is less dense than liquid water, hence why it floats. So if an ice cap melts, shouldn't that have a net effect of lowering the sea level? :dunno:

Or, maybe stay the same. I need to think this through. Any fluids type experts in the house?

Fighting poverty and crime. How about our education system?

When the MMGW people stop flying around the world in private jets and make an effort to reduce their massive carbon footprints, I will consider taking them seriously

Here are some ideas...

Many scientists have the same idea.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4050149

I am not a smart man. But I think less people is the best way to solve this problem.

• Like 1

Or, maybe stay the same. I need to think this through. Any fluids type experts in the house?

Shotsup.

• Like 1

Shotsup.

:D

Well 90% of an iceberg is below water, but that still means that 10% is above.... maybe that 10% evens it out.

I am not a smart man. But I think less people is the best way to solve this problem.

The problem you run into by promoting negative population growth is that it makes certain populations angry. And the ones that would most benefit by negative population growth are the ones that are growing the fastest.

The problem you run into by promoting negative population growth is that it makes certain populations angry. And the ones that would most benefit by negative population growth are the ones that are growing the fastest.

Pay them off. If they take the money they can't complain. And who cares if they do?

It's been a long cold winter. Where's my global warming. :mad:

Global warming affects global weather patterns...sigh

Global warming affects global weather patterns...sigh

that's the cool thing about the global warming conspiracy theory, it claims legitimacy whether it's colder or warmer. That conundrum is why they changed the money stealing scams name from global warming to climate change.

Anyone who doesn't see that is a true idiot.

It got so hot in Australia this past January that roads were melting.

Well 90% of an iceberg is below water, but that still means that 10% is above.... maybe that 10% evens it out.

Exactly, that's why I amended my statement, the iceberg is in equalibrium with the water, pushing down and causing a commensurate water rise. When part of the iceberg falls off, pushing down with less weight, and it seems that that decrease in water rise should equal the rise from the new melted water.

I'm sure I'm missing something but can't figure it out. :dunno:

An increase in temperature causes objects to expand, hence part of the reason there are joints in concrete and long pipe systems. The rise in sea level is not due to more water.

It got so hot in Australia this past January that roads were melting.

Beds are burning.

An increase in temperature causes objects to expand, hence part of the reason there are joints in concrete and long pipe systems. The rise in sea level is not due to more water.

Are you saying that the marginal increase in water temperature is causing a volume increase in liquid water which is putting the earth at risk? Sorry but I'm not buying that, please convince me. :cheers:

Exactly, that's why I amended my statement, the iceberg is in equalibrium with the water, pushing down and causing a commensurate water rise. When part of the iceberg falls off, pushing down with less weight, and it seems that that decrease in water rise should equal the rise from the new melted water.

I'm sure I'm missing something but can't figure it out. :dunno:

Yes, read up on the difference between an Iceberg and a Glacier!

Has anyone figured out whether global warming or climate change, whatever the F its called, means its getting colder on average, or warmer? Or, does it depend on what were calling it; global warming or climate change?

Because its still getting focking cold at night here and its almost May. We should be in the 60s during the day and 40s at night. Last night reached a low of 28. :mad:

I haven't mentioned anything about red vs blue. As for all those cities you're probable right, but it's nothing we as humans did. The earth has had major shifts without human help. I'm talking frozen earth and hot earth.

Funny thing is when it comes to life the earth is more prosperous during very warm periods. Funny how you doom and gloom people leave that out.

How are you certain man cannot influence climate?

Jesus Jerry, now I'm starting to doubt you went to MIT, or even college.

Put an ice cube in water. Mark the level. Then let it melt, and remeasure it. It doesn't change.

Melting icebergs raise the ocean level only slightly, as they are made of fresh water, which is less dense than sea water. But most of the sea level rise comes from ice/snow melt over land (from glaciers), which ultimately drains into the ocean.

Are you saying that the marginal increase in water temperature is causing a volume increase in liquid water which is putting the earth at risk? Sorry but I'm not buying that, please convince me. :cheers:

Below is a link to density/temperature graph of seawater:

https://i.stack.imgur.com/yYaoL.jpg

The average temperature of the ocean is 40 degrees F. The average average depth of the ocean is 12,000 feet.

From the link above an increase from 40 to 41 degrees causes the density of water to change from 1.278 to 1.277 (I am estimating). This is a change of .0782%, when you multiply this by 12,000 you get 9 feet!

Obviously I read the graph wrong and the actual change in density is less than that, but I am too lazy to find a more detailed graph. I am also assuming that a 1 degree rise in surface air temperature would cause the water temperature to change by 1 degree. This is obviously an over simplification since it takes significantly more energy to heat water than air. Also the distribution of the temperature change would not be linear, the surface of the ocean would heat up faster than the ocean floor. It takes more energy to heat water when compared to air.

Even with all of those crappy assumptions as part of my equation i stand by my statement that the expansion of water is the major factor in sea level rise and not the melting of ice.

Jesus Jerry, now I'm starting to doubt you went to MIT, or even college.

Put an ice cube in water. Mark the level. Then let it melt, and remeasure it. It doesn't change.

Melting icebergs raise the ocean level only slightly, as they are made of fresh water, which is less dense than sea water. But most of the sea level rise comes from ice/snow melt over land (from glaciers), which ultimately drains into the ocean.

I think this is wrong and a small factor in the sea level rise.

Below is a link to density/temperature graph of seawater:

https://i.stack.imgur.com/yYaoL.jpg

The average temperature of the ocean is 40 degrees F. The average average depth of the ocean is 12,000 feet.

From the link above an increase from 40 to 41 degrees causes the density of water to change from 1.278 to 1.277 (I am estimating). This is a change of .0782%, when you multiply this by 12,000 you get 9 feet!

Obviously I read the graph wrong and the actual change in density is less than that, but I am too lazy to find a more detailed graph. I am also assuming that a 1 degree rise in surface air temperature would cause the water temperature to change by 1 degree. This is obviously an over simplification since it takes significantly more energy to heat water than air. Also the distribution of the temperature change would not be linear, the surface of the ocean would heat up faster than the ocean floor. It takes more energy to heat water when compared to air.

Even with all of those crappy assumptions as part of my equation i stand by my statement that the expansion of water is the major factor in sea level rise and not the melting of ice.

You changed this since I read it and was about to quote it, to address in part my response: a 1 degree rise in ocean temperature is a 2.5% increase which seems hella hooge. Plus your presumption that a 1 degree increase in air temp has the same effect on the entire ocean infrastructure, which to me seems possible over several eons.

What do the climate alarmists predict in terms of overall ocean temp increase? :dunno:

You changed this since I read it and was about to quote it, to address in part my response: a 1 degree rise in ocean temperature is a 2.5% increase which seems hella hooge. Plus your presumption that a 1 degree increase in air temp has the same effect on the entire ocean infrastructure, which to me seems possible over several eons.

What do the climate alarmists predict in terms of overall ocean temp increase? :dunno:

Fock if i know, I tend to skip over global warming articles as they do not interest me. The only reason I posted in this thread was because I remembered seeing the headline where someone proposed blocking out the sun. I did not read that article I just remembered it from somewhere.

Then you asked a fluids question, which surprisingly i do have experience with. The software I manage is used to calculate subsurface fluid temperatures and densities. I probably could put together a decent enough model of how the ocean would heat up with a few degree rise in surface temperature if i cared.

I am not posting in this article to actually discuss global warming, which is probably my fault.

And it is only a prediction which based on adjusted data from the last 100 years on a planet that is 4.5 billion years old.

Then you asked a fluids question, which surprisingly i do have experience with. The software I manage is used to calculate subsurface fluid temperatures and densities. I probably could put together a decent enough model of how the ocean would heat up with a few degree rise in surface temperature if i cared.

Pretty PLEASE do. And then send it to the climate change scientists who don't seem to have a focking clue how to do exactly that. TIA.

I think this is wrong and a small factor in the sea level rise.

I'll take your word for it regarding temp/water density, but can we at least agree that a melting iceberg is contributing minimal to the equation versus glacial run off?

And shouldn't any engineer know a floating ice displaces water equal to it's weight?