Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

If self-driving cars live up to their promise

Guessing Saudi Arabian women are like oh of course...NOW I don't get to drive again

• Like 3

Guessing Saudi Arabian women are like oh of course...NOW I don't get to drive again

😂

Then again, those beekeeper outfits that they have to wear have to play hell on your peripheral vision.

DUIs will be extinct

Going to open up a LOT of issues.

Insurance industry has got to be sweating. Lots of ancillary industries and economies. Can probably think of at least a dozen different major some topics off the top of my head.

Going to open up a LOT of issues.

Insurance industry has got to be sweating. Lots of ancillary industries and economies. Can probably think of at least a dozen different major some topics off the top of my head.

Local government will lose a sh!tload of money from tickets and dui and such.

Millions will become unemployed.

Parking lots will become obselete.

Will be quite a mess.

I love the idea of jumping in the car at 4am and waking up 4 hours later at my destination.

Will be quite a mess.

I'd lie to clarify that millions of unskilled, uneducated people will become unemployed. And the illegals that got made legal will have the jobs they could have had.

I'd lie to clarify that millions of unskilled, uneducated people will become unemployed. And the illegals that got made legal will have the jobs they could have had.

Truckers arent unskilled.

And it wont just be cars. Eventually it will move on to ships and planes too.

Will be quite a mess.

Plus the BS about humans being worse than machines. So many kids and people gonna get run over by malfunctioning machines and cars run amok. Yes Im aware people suck. But I predict accident rates and fatalities rise if self driving cars ever occupy a significant part of the road. Machine cant see the little things, little details that we take for granted. A pothole, a slight turn, a slight bend here and there. It will be a fail and wont be a thing in our lifetimes.

Plus the BS about humans being worse than machines. So many kids and people gonna get run over by malfunctioning machines and cars run amok. Yes Im aware people suck. But I predict accident rates and fatalities rise if self driving cars ever occupy a significant part of the road. Machine cant see the little things, little details that we take for granted. A pothole, a slight turn, a slight bend here and there. It will be a fail and wont be a thing in our lifetimes.

Yeah, I figure Ill be too old to care or dead when it comes.

Yeah, I figure Ill be too old to care or dead when it comes.

China will

Be ground zero for fatalities. Its already flirting with death to walk anywhere near a road over there.

Waiting for the day I can send my car to be loaded with groceries by an amazonbot while sit on my ass and watch my self driving mower cut my grass.

Not looking forward to it as that's a lot of soon-to-be unemployed people to account for.

China will

Be ground zero for fatalities. Its already flirting with death to walk anywhere near a road over there.

I doubt it will come here for a very long time. Drivers are cheap as Fock. The computerized car would lose money here.

Hell, Im moving tomorrow. I hired a van, with a driver, who also carries my sh!t, for $30 for two hours. And thats the break one off in the dumb foreigner price.

Clearly you are joking

Clearly you are joking

Not at all, its pretty clear Im not. Its my opinion that it wont be a significant portion of road traffic in our lifetimes.
  • Like 1

Not at all, its pretty clear Im not. Its my opinion that it wont be a significant portion of road traffic in our lifetimes.

Agreed.

Your assuming alot of people can actually afford a self driving car...

Saturation to where it takes a bite out of city monies or insurance coffers is 100 years away.

Not looking forward to it as that's a lot of soon-to-be unemployed people to account for.

Same thing people were saying in the early 1900's when the majority of Americans worked in agriculture.

We will adapt and people can spend their time on more value added occupations.

It will be in our lifetime.

In early 1980's a computer cost of thousands of dollars, was monchrome, .5mb of ram, and barely ran anything. If you would go back 35 years and tell those people the whole world will be walking around with super computers in their pocket they would laugh at you.

I think we are still 25 years away from mass adoption of self driving cars, but it will be in our lifetime.

Same thing people were saying in the early 1900's when the majority of Americans worked in agriculture.

We will adapt and people can spend their time on more value added occupations.

The industrial revolution produced other jobs to take up the slack. Self driving cars come with no new accompanying innovation to make up for all the lost jobs. These jobs simply go away with nothing to replace them.

Your assuming alot of people can actually afford a self driving car...

Saturation to where it takes a bite out of city monies or insurance coffers is 100 years away.

People wont. It will basically be the death knell of Private car ownership. It will just be millions of self driving Ubers out there.

It will be in our lifetime.

In early 1980's a computer cost of thousands of dollars, was monchrome, .5mb of ram, and barely ran anything. If you would go back 35 years and tell those people the whole world will be walking around with super computers in their pocket they would laugh at you.

I think we are still 25 years away from mass adoption of self driving cars, but it will be in our lifetime.

The progress rate is not the same as it was back then. We took massive steps forward in a short time and now I think it will be longer between world changing breakthroughs. Greed will see to that. Apple doesnt want to change the world with he next iPhone, they want to make it just different enough to sell and have more to show the following year.

Will be quite a mess.

Just to counter. Again, assuming self-driving cars live up to the hype. There should be a bit of a balancing act there with regard to city services. You shouldn't need as many cops because right now, about 90% of the cops day is spent on traffic.

If they're not chasing down Speeders and careless drivers and filling out reports for accidents Etc, that's more time they can spend on actual policing. Again, at least in theory.

I guess I'm not understanding the whole Millions will become unemployed part?

The Auto industry should experience a bit of resurgence as people try to assimilate the new technology.

Just to counter. Again, assuming self-driving cars live up to the hype. There should be a bit of a balancing act there with regard to city services. You shouldn't need as many cops because right now, about 90% of the cops day is spent on traffic.

If they're not chasing down Speeders and careless drivers and filling out reports for accidents Etc, that's more time they can spend on actual policing. Again, at least in theory.

I guess I'm not understanding the whole Millions will become unemployed part?

The Auto industry should experience a bit of resurgence as people try to assimilate the new technology.

Truck drivers will be one of the first to go.

Delivery drivers.

Cab drivers

Bus drivers.

Eventually pilots

Will be an economic bloodbath when they perfect it.

Most importantly, I hope the new technology snaps one off in the insurance industry.

them and all the ancillary industries that benefit from that system. Huh, nobody questions that a windshield cost exactly $500. And everybody's deductible is exactly $500. Or, maybe less controversial anyway, pretty convenient that you've got 90% of America's police force acting as tax collectors and ensuring that they buy your overpriced under protecting Insurance Services.

The auto insurance companies should be required to pay for or at least subsidized state and local police forces.

Not to mention that insurance companies should have far far less to pay out and cover. Their damn sure should be a required reduction in premiums then too. Though I'm not going to hold my breath.

China will

India is the worst in the world. Here, maybe Ive just gotten used to it, but its not so horrible. They drive pretty timidly actually. My old city was much worse though.

People wont. It will basically be the death knell of Private car ownership. It will just be millions of self driving Ubers out there.

Maybe for poors.

I won't be giving up my Alpina B7 or X5 ///M so some Prius can shuttle me to the country club or my mountain cabin.

Truck drivers will be one of the first to go.

Delivery drivers.

Cab drivers

Bus drivers.

Eventually pilots

Will be an economic bloodbath when they perfect it.

Delivery drivers? I'm going to have to walk out to the driveway to get my pizza?

Delivery drivers? I'm going to have to walk out to the driveway to get my pizza?

What are you, Amish? Is your 3D printer broken?

I'll wait till they get electric cars right before considering if they will get self driving cars right.

India just banned single use plastic items...grocery bags. Straws...lids...etc. smart move imho. Usa should look at doing the same