Sign in to follow this  
makindollaz

How early is too early for D. Watson?

Here's the situation. 14 team PPR league with 2 keepers, so figure 28 of the top 40 or so players are off the board. My keepers are L. Bell & K. Allen.

I have the #2 pick. I already know Barkley is going #1. I want Watson, but don't think I can wait and still get him with my next pick if I pass on him at 2. With guys like McCoy, Mixon, Howard, T. Hill, Thielein, Diggs, Hilton & Kelce all available, am I making a mistake passing on one of them to take Watson?

I think so.is Watson going to be that much better than any QB in later rounds? The dropoff from the top 16 rbs, 20 wr, and 4 tes is pretty significant. Therefore I would probably take all of those players listed before Watson.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Here's the situation. 14 team PPR league with 2 keepers, so figure 28 of the top 40 or so players are off the board. My keepers are L. Bell & K. Allen.

I have the #2 pick. I already know Barkley is going #1. I want Watson, but don't think I can wait and still get him with my next pick if I pass on him at 2. With guys like McCoy, Mixon, Howard, T. Hill, Thielein, Diggs, Hilton & Kelce all available, am I making a mistake passing on one of them to take Watson?

Watson may end up the best qb this year, but he isn't too safe with his play style and coming off that injury. I would pass on him there

• Like 1

Agree it's early, but the guy who has Hopkins picks like 5 picks after me, and I know he's intrigued with having that combo. I'm having visions of Culpepper & Moss in their prime, and that's playing into my thought process...maybe too much.

Running QBs often have difficulty in their second year as defenses have time to scout and gameplan them. And that's without the added concern of coming off a serious knee injury.

Depending on how things fell, I might take a shot at him in the 4th (I suppose 2nd in a 2 player keeper), but over McCoy, Mixon, Howard, etc? No chance.

He has been going in the 6th or 7th in the 12 teamer (real drafts not mocks) that I've been doing.

30th overall is too early for Watson imo. Be patient, if you don't get Watson you'll get someone else good. Don't look at Watson's 19 TDs last year and extrapolate that out to 50+ in a full season.

Wait.

Ok, enough folks have said it's a reach for me to not do it. After the 30 pick, my next one is 45, but I'll probably wait and go for someone like Wilson or Wentz instead.

That said, I was leaning towards McCoy if I don't pick Watson at 30. I think WR is deep enough to wait...I've got several picks in the 60's & 70's. In a 14 team league, don't think anyone would have a better RB duo than Bell & McCoy, and I have Allen as my WR1.

Do you want him because you think he's going to be one of the top 3 QB's this year, or do you want him just because? If you think he's going to be a top 3 QB this year, then yes, you take him.

If you only start 1 QB, with 14 teams, I'd start looking for QB's in round 8. Since you keep 2 players, that's round 6. So I'd say the 6th round. With Watson, for some reason people are enamored with him, so my guess is that if you really want him, I'd think you'd have to target him in the 4th.

Do you want him because you think he's going to be one of the top 3 QB's this year, or do you want him just because? If you think he's going to be a top 3 QB this year, then yes, you take him.

I think he definitely could be, but there are questions with the injury and play style. I also got bit in the past by RG3 coming off his knee injury. I convinced myself he'd be the same and clearly he wasn't.

How soon is your draft ?

If you can wait till Saturday night, you can see how Watson looks in the "dress rehearsal" game vs the Rams. I know I will be watching that one with great interest for this very reason.

I think he definitely could be, but there are questions with the injury and play style. I also got bit in the past by RG3 coming off his knee injury. I convinced myself he'd be the same and clearly he wasn't.

Based on this, I would wait. If you felt he was going to throw 35+ tds and run for 5+, then he's worth the spot you're picking him IMO. It's a pretty big risk/reward, but that's what FF is all about.

Mccoy? Over Howard? Howard is way safer. Draft safe in the 1st. A damn near guaranteed top 10 rb in a 14 team league, that's extremely valuable

Mccoy? Over Howard? Howard is way safer. Draft safe in the 1st. A damn near guaranteed top 10 rb in a 14 team league, that's extremely valuable

In PPR they are pretty closely valued right now.

Non-PPR Howard all day.

In PPR they are pretty closely valued right now.

Non-PPR Howard all day.

Yeah I get that they are, but Howard is just so much safer. And he looked fantastic the last pre season game.

If I had your scenario I would definitely draft DeShaun Watson with my 1st pick. D Watson is like a combination of Aaron Rodgers and Micheal Vick.

Watson looked really sharp last year and preseason week 2 this year he took the team right down the field effortlessly.

If I had your scenario I would definitely draft DeShaun Watson with my 1st pick. D Watson is like a combination of Aaron Rodgers and Micheal Vick.

He should be good, but again the risk and the value at that spot don't match up. The drop off from the running back production he theoretically could get is probably greater than the drop off from Watson to which ever QB he could take in the next few rounds

He should be good, but again the risk and the value at that spot don't match up. The drop off from the running back production he theoretically could get is probably greater than the drop off from Watson to which ever QB he could take in the next few rounds

Unless he matches the form he was displaying from weeks 3-8 last year when he was on fire. His points-per-game in that stretch was 6 points higher than the rest of the field. That's why some of us have developed such a thirst for Watson and it's an edge that's hard to find anywhere else. (I don't even know if Antonio Brown and DeAndre Hopkins could give you that over the next tier of WRs.)

Unless he matches the form he was displaying from weeks 3-8 last year when he was on fire. His points-per-game in that stretch was 6 points higher than the rest of the field. That's why some of us have developed such a thirst for Watson and it's an edge that's hard to find anywhere else. (I don't even know if Antonio Brown and DeAndre Hopkins could give you that over the next tier of WRs.)

Those paces usually don't sustain themselves. I am not saying he won't be good, but to expect 6 ppg advantage over everyone else seems over optimistic. But If you think he will sustain it then you really should draft him extremely early. In fact, he is going as the 5th qb on average according to fantasypros. 5th qb off the board who ends up 6 ppg better than the next best guy, that is insane value even if you take him as the 3rd qb off the board.

It’s hard too say that Watson will even do that again.

Just no way I would draft a Qb that early.

I wouldn't draft him over those other players listed, but I usually wait on the QB spot until I think people are going to start taking their second QB. However, if you feel that strongly about him then by all means draft him and go for it. We all think things seem illogical before and during the draft and then the season starts and typically we knew nothing.

Definitely glad I didn't jump on Watson early. We drafted today and I ended up with a starting lineup of R. Wilson (QB), L. Bell & J. Mixon (RB), K.Allen & De. Thomas (WR), T.Y. Hilton & J. Nelson (RB/WR Flex) & E. Engram (TE). Also stashed J. Edelman, C. Thompson, J. Doctson & J. Winston on the bench.

Watson went in the early 2nd round in a 12-team league I am in, as the first QB off the board (6 point QB TD's). Solid owners in there too. Musta been a homer....although I would like to own him. Will have to be satisfied with Rodgers, who I got in the 3rd.