Sign in to follow this  
IGotWorms

Quantum computing

SAN FRANCISCO — Google said on Wednesday that it had achieved a long-sought breakthrough called “quantum supremacy,” which could allow new kinds of computers to do calculations at speeds that are inconceivable with today’s technology.

In a paper published in the science journal Nature, Google said its research lab in Santa Barbara, Calif., had reached a milestone that scientists had been working toward since the 1980s: Its quantum computer performed a task that isn’t possible with traditional computers.

In this case, a mathematical calculation that the largest supercomputers could not complete in under 10,000 years was done in 3 minutes 20 seconds, Google said in its paper.

Scientists likened Google’s announcement to the Wright brothers’ first plane flight in 1903 — proof that something is really possible even though it may be years before it can fulfill its potential.

“The original Wright flyer was not a useful airplane,” said Scott Aaronson, a computer scientist at the University of Texas at Austin who reviewed Google’s paper before publication. “But it was designed to prove a point. And it proved the point.”

A quantum machine, the result of more than a century’s worth of research into a type of physics called quantum mechanics, operates in a completely different manner from regular computers. It relies on the mind-bending ways some objects act at the subatomic level or when exposed to extreme cold, like the metal chilled to nearly 460 degrees below zero inside Google’s machine.

No...it will allow processing tremendous amounts of info.  Storing consciousness....eventually leading to transporters like star trek...and time travel.

2 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

No...it will allow processing tremendous amounts of info.  Storing consciousness....eventually leading to transporters like star trek...and time travel.

We’ll all be long dead by then. Ain’t that kind of a bummer?

17 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

I assume that when this is combined with AI that’ll be the end of the human race

Had a good discussion on this on Monday around Ethics in IT.  This woman was speaking about some things that China is doing that is pretty scary.

https://www.marketplace.org/2018/09/04/new-toolkit-help-tech-companies-be-more-ethical/

"Quantum supremecy"

How will Seattle public schools teach this concept?

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

I assume that when this is combined with AI that’ll be the end of the human race

How long do we have left 12 years?

If traditional supercomputers would take 10K years to do the calculation, then how do they even know if they got the correct answer??? 

• Thanks 1

Is this instance different than the previous one?

18 minutes ago, DonS said:

If traditional supercomputers would take 10K years to do the calculation, then how do they even know if they got the correct answer??? 

🤯 

33 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

Who knows with how fast these things can move but I’d like to think at least 50-100 : 🤷‍♂️ 

43 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

climate change will take care of us long before that.

17 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Who knows with how fast these things can move but I’d like to think at least 50-100 : 🤷‍♂️ 

Sh!t man, we better hurry. What do the science people say we should do about it?

1 minute ago, iam90sbaby said:

Sh!t man, we better hurry. What do the science people say we should do about it?

Fock if I know. Have a look at PFB’s post and link. I’m really not optimistic though because even if proper constraints are put in place 1) mistakes happen and 2) it only takes one unethical person/entity to fock it all up.

1 hour ago, DonS said:

1 hour ago, DonS said:

Seriously?  They used a time machine Don.  :doh:

2 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

In this case, a mathematical calculation that the largest supercomputers could not complete in under 10,000 years was done in 3 minutes 20 seconds, Google said in its paper.

Of course that speed was calculated by comparing it the "SUPER"computer FFMike uses to run this place.  

2 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Of course that speed was calculated by comparing it the "SUPER"computer FFMike uses to run this place.  

I saw no mention of wounded hamsters in the article :dunno:

2 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

SAN FRANCISCO — ...could not complete in under 10,000 years...

Hey!  Just like the Dems trying everything to impeach Trump!  3 years and still nothing.   Another 9,997 years to go!  You'll get him then!

9 hours ago, DonS said:

They started the problem 10,000 years ago.

10 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

We’ll all be long dead by then. Ain’t that kind of a bummer?

I used to think that. Feel regret that I'd be dead before I saw some amazing things. 

The older I get, the more glad I am. Before it is used for time travel and transportation, technology will be, and is already in the process of being, used to completely eradicate privacy and freedom. Individuality will be an alien concept at that point. We will all pretty much just be a hive mind that is easily manipulated by the guy behind the curtain. You can already see it happening. Social media is the crude rock as a tool version.