IGotWorms

Horror films superthread

Just now, DonS said:

Bummer.  Thanks for the warning. 

It wasn’t bad. Definitely not worth the theater ticket. I was pumped to see it. Last half hour I was checking my watch ready to go.

12 minutes ago, posty said:

Looks like Fall is going to have a sequel as well...  Though it is more of a survival thriller than a horror movie...

https://screenrant.com/fall-2-confirmed-everything-we-know/

Haven't seen that one yet.  Isn't the premise about a couple dumb b1tches get stuck on a tower or something? 

Fall 2: Oops, stuck again. 

11 minutes ago, DonS said:

Haven't seen that one yet.  Isn't the premise about a couple dumb b1tches get stuck on a tower or something? 

Yup...

Motel Hell and then you eventually you start laughing. Helps if you are really high from the get go. 

2 hours ago, lod001 said:

Motel Hell and then you eventually you start laughing. Helps if you are really high from the get go. 

It takes all kinds of critters to make Farmer Vincent's fritters.

Edit: I had to Google for the exact tagline, but I remembered the gist of it. 

3 hours ago, lod001 said:

Saw it on the big screen years ago as part of a double bill with Tourist Trap. :thumbsup: 

12 hours ago, MDC said:

Saw it on the big screen years ago as part of a double bill with Tourist Trap. :thumbsup: 

13 hours ago, DonS said:

It takes all kinds of critters to make Farmer Vincent's fritters.

Edit: I had to Google for the exact tagline, but I remembered the gist of it. 

And it has Cliff Clavin in it WAY before he was Cliff. 🤣

On 4/27/2023 at 1:43 PM, MDC said:

Going to see Evil Dead Rise next week … can’t wait. Huge fan of the franchise, heard this one is great. :banana: 

Just finished watching Evil Dead Rise...  Was it supposed to be scary?  Kind of lame IMO...

8 minutes ago, posty said:

Just finished watching Evil Dead Rise...  Was it supposed to be scary?  Kind of lame IMO...

Agreed. The first 5 minute cold open to the title card was great. The rest sucked hard.

Just now, MDC said:

Agreed. The first 5 minute cold open to the title card was great. The rest sucked hard.

Like you on guttermutt...

You two make a nice couple. 

Just now, seafoam1 said:

Like you on guttermutt...

You two make a nice couple. 

I’m ne day you’ll say something funny on purpose. :( 

15 hours ago, MDC said:

Agreed. The first 5 minute cold open to the title card was great.

Definitely agree on this statement...

25 minutes ago, posty said:

Definitely agree on this statement...

I considered leaving with 30 mins left.

2 minutes ago, MDC said:

I considered leaving with 30 mins left.

I thought about it as well...  But I paused the movie and saw I had 40 minutes left, so decided to hang on since I really wasn't doing much...

I wonder if they do a sequel, will they start from the beginning of this movie and carry it on?

Come on people, stop watching this and maybe we'd get some new horror that doesn't predictably suck like 40 years later reboots.  Are any of you really surprised the Evil Dead reboot/remake/whateverthef0ck was bad?   Honestly, what was the last horror movie that falls into that category that didn't pretty much suck? 

53 minutes ago, BuckSwope said:

Come on people, stop watching this and maybe we'd get some new horror that doesn't predictably suck like 40 years later reboots.  Are any of you really surprised the Evil Dead reboot/remake/whateverthef0ck was bad?   Honestly, what was the last horror movie that falls into that category that didn't pretty much suck? 

Hills Have Eyes and Evil Dead reboot from 2013 or so were solid, albeit 10+ years old now. 

I generally agree with you but had high hopes for EDR because of the glowing reviews. 

There are plenty of great new non reboot horror movies today, they’re just not big budget Hollywood films.

Just now, MDC said:

Hills Have Eyes and Evil Dead reboot from 2013 or so were solid, albeit 10+ years old now. 

I generally agree with you but had high hopes for EDR because of the glowing reviews. 

There are plenty of great new non reboot horror movies today, they’re just not big budget Hollywood films.

Agreed, I guess that's why it always makes me scratch my head when horror fans flock to those still.   If there is any genre that is thriving for movies it's for sure horror movies. The last couple years has been some of the best ever, IMO.  But that's because of stuff like Barbarian and Bodies, Bodies, Bodies - not Evil Dead and Hellraiser reboots.    

27 minutes ago, BuckSwope said:

Agreed, I guess that's why it always makes me scratch my head when horror fans flock to those still.   If there is any genre that is thriving for movies it's for sure horror movies. The last couple years has been some of the best ever, IMO.  But that's because of stuff like Barbarian and Bodies, Bodies, Bodies - not Evil Dead and Hellraiser reboots.    

Never heard of bodies bodies bodies

Ive enjoyed the Halloween reboots.

On 7/22/2023 at 5:20 PM, GutterBoy said:

Thanks for the reminder for Bodies Bodies Bodies.  Looked interesting when I saw the trailer.  Need to track it down on streaming. 

I watched Pearl the other night and it was quite good. Like a legit great film regardless of genre, imo 

I do recommend watching X first if you haven’t seen it.

But then definitely watch Pearl — it isn’t some bullsh1t prequel but a very good movie in its own right :thumbsup:

On 7/27/2023 at 11:23 PM, BunnysBastatrds said:

A Phantasm new would be easy and good.

Angus Scrimm (tall man) has been dead for 7 years. :( 

1 hour ago, IGotWorms said:

I watched Pearl the other night and it was quite good. Like a legit great film regardless of genre, imo 

I do recommend watching X first if you haven’t seen it.

But then definitely watch Pearl — it isn’t some bullsh1t prequel but a very good movie in its own right :thumbsup:

Awesome.  X was good.

So judging by the trailer Pearl ends up being the old lady in X.  And Mia Goth plays Pearl in the prequel and someone else in X.  Is that right?

3 minutes ago, RogerDodger said:

Awesome.  X was good.

So judging by the trailer Pearl ends up being the old lady in X.  And Mia Goth plays Pearl in the prequel and someone else in X.  Is that right?

Yes except she also plays the old lady in X (tons of makeup etc, obviously).

She was a revelation in Pearl

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RogerDodger said:

Awesome.  X was good.

She played both in X - Maxine and Pearl (old lady). 

• Thanks 1

On 7/22/2023 at 7:20 PM, GutterBoy said:

Ive enjoyed the Halloween reboots.

On 7/27/2023 at 9:57 PM, IGotWorms said:

Bodies Bodies Bodies was pretty good :thumbsup:

On 7/27/2023 at 10:49 PM, DonS said:

Thanks for the reminder for Bodies Bodies Bodies.  Looked interesting when I saw the trailer.  Need to track it down on streaming. 

It's on Showtime or the add on for Prime.   Pretty sure that's where all the A24 movies end up.   I thought it was a blast and the pay off was great.    Not the best of the last few years but well worth the watch.   

One of my soft spots are horror/comedy that are also decent horror movies overall.    

I make sure that people who like Scream, Cabin in the Woods and others have also seen movies like Tucker and Dale and Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon.  

I need to think of others.   House of the Devil, Triangle, [rec], A Tale of Two Sisters, Splinter, Lake Mungo, and others are ones that I remember making sure horror fans at the stores had checked out.  

56 minutes ago, BuckSwope said:

One of my soft spots are horror/comedy that are also decent horror movies overall.    

I make sure that people who like Scream, Cabin in the Woods and others have also seen movies like Tucker and Dale and Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon.  

I need to think of others.   House of the Devil, Triangle, [rec], A Tale of Two Sisters, Splinter, Lake Mungo, and others are ones that I remember making sure horror fans at the stores had checked out.  

The Evil Dead 2 was very funny…The hand scene was fawking classic 

I love horror. :)

The Witch is one of my absolute favorites and I can watch it over and over and over. 

Not a huge fan of the torture type horror, like I don't care for the Saw movies or the Spit on Your Grave series, those just creep me out. 

Big fan of the Conjuring universe, Insidious movies - although the newest one The Red Door was meh. I like some Stephen King stuff, but the ones that have the underlying stories or messages like Gerald's Game, or 1922. Old school King is awesome; Thinner, Christine...I watch those every October along with the Halloween movies. Not a big Jason/Freddie fan for some reason. 

Loved The Black Phone. Also love the Babadook. There are a ton more, but given the chance for a chick flick, action, or horror...I'll chose horror almost every time. 

59 minutes ago, TheNewGirl said:

I love horror. :)

The Witch is one of my absolute favorites and I can watch it over and over and over. 

Not a huge fan of the torture type horror, like I don't care for the Saw movies or the Spit on Your Grave series, those just creep me out. 

Big fan of the Conjuring universe, Insidious movies - although the newest one The Red Door was meh. I like some Stephen King stuff, but the ones that have the underlying stories or messages like Gerald's Game, or 1922. Old school King is awesome; Thinner, Christine...I watch those every October along with the Halloween movies. Not a big Jason/Freddie fan for some reason. 

Loved The Black Phone. Also love the Babadook. There are a ton more, but given the chance for a chick flick, action, or horror...I'll chose horror almost every time. 

The original I Spit on Your Grave was amazing 

1 hour ago, IGotWorms said:

The original I Spit on Your Grave was amazing 

Ew.

Just watched X and it was good…

I am currently 40 minutes into Pearl and I really hope it gets better because it is really boring so far…

20 minutes ago, MDC said:

Ew.

Are you one of those people that doesn’t realize it’s a feminist movie?