Sign in to follow this  
jrbdmb

AJ Green done?

I picked up AJ Green at the very end of my auction draft, paid a few dollars. So far it looks like I massively overpaid, I know he was hurt in the past quite a bit, but never saw him this ineffective when healthy. Any chance he comes back somewhat, or is it time to cut bait?

He has a rookie QB and he's rusty from a year off--but he had 13 targets last week, so he's not exactly "done" yet.

3 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

He has a rookie QB and he's rusty from a year off--but he had 13 targets last week, so he's not exactly "done" yet.

And one target in the first half today (Boyd 6, Higgins 4). Has Burrow given up on him?

From what I've seen of him, he doesn't seem to be creating separation.  He has a low catch percentage because he's essentially being thrown jump balls.

4 minutes ago, nobody said:

He has a low catch percentage because he's essentially being thrown jump balls.

That would be the first part of my assessment--rookie QB.

5 minutes ago, nobody said:

From what I've seen of him, he doesn't seem to be creating separation. 

That would be the second part of my assessment--rusty from a year off.

7 minutes ago, jrbdmb said:

And one target in the first half today (Boyd 6, Higgins 4). Has Burrow given up on him?

WRs are always inconsistent, and fantasy owners are always ready to bail when their 3rd round pick goes 2-33.

Patience, grasshopper...

• Like 1

As someone who owned Green his entire career (and therefore watched his games every year) he is done. 

Not his QB fault, AJG is old, broken down, and scared. He ain't coming back from that.

(Now watch him catch a game winner)

Green is done, but I hope those owners of Mixon shopped him, now it’s to late to get much of a return from him.  

1 minute ago, weepaws said:

Green is done, but I hope those owners of Mixon shopped him, now it’s to late to get much of a return from him.  

I own them both in my big money league.... I can't give up hope yet. Will stop considering must starts in my line up now

24 minutes ago, BufordT said:

He'll boom 3-4 times this year..... when you least expect it.

No it’s easy to tell when, it will happen as soon as he hits the bench vs a “tough matchup”. 

AJ's got a few young, hungry WR's on this team that don't care who he is/was.  I tried getting AJ for cheap last week and the owner wouldn't do it.  Now I don't think I want him.  

Looking at game stats for Sunday:

Targets/Catches/Yards/TD: Boyd 13/10/125/0; Higgins 9/5/40/2; Green 6/5/36/0.

Snap %: Higgins 79%, Green 76%, Boyd 75%.

Not sure there are any WRs other than Boyd worth rostering unless you are in a deep league.

He's been done for 2 years or so.

He's just like Dez Bryant, he was a great fantasy WR for a while, then the injuries piled up. As a result, he's not nearly the same WR.

Yet people can't let go of the player he once was out of a strong desire/need to find a stud WR at a bargain.

Boyd is the WR to own on the Bengals, and he's not much more than a flex option.

I would take Tee Higgins over AJ Green at this point, especially in dynasty formats.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jrbdmb said:

Looking at game stats for Sunday:

Targets/Catches/Yards/TD: Boyd 13/10/125/0; Higgins 9/5/40/2; Green 6/5/36/0.

Snap %: Higgins 79%, Green 76%, Boyd 75%.

Not sure there are any WRs other than Boyd worth rostering unless you are in a deep league.

A one-game sample size?

So it doesn't matter to you that Boyd has been out-targeted by Green 28-26 on the season so far?

You can see what's going on...  Initially teams were taking away Mixon and making the rookie QB beat them through the air.  He started doing that, and targeted Green 13 times (to Boyd's 5) in Week 2.  So the Eagles took away Green (and the TEs, who were targeted 15 times in Week 2, but only 1 time in Week 3).

Plus Green didn't get to work in this offense with the rest of the team, so he's still catching up a little, and a little rusty to boot.

Things will normalize, and I expect Cincinnati to have a pretty good second half of the season.

In the meantime, try not to hit your chin with your knee every week when things go differently than you expected.

Targets don’t score ff points, unless your in a league that does that type of system.  

But most don’t.  

Green 28 targets, 3 point per game avg non ppr ,and 8 avg per game ppr. 

Boyd 26 targets, 9 points per game avg non ppr, and 16 ppr. 

Higgins 15 targets, 9 points avg non ppr, and 13 ppr.  

I agree, Green doesn’t fit into this system, yet.  

And he might not at all, he’s horrible right now. 

On 9/28/2020 at 3:10 PM, weepaws said:

Targets don’t score ff points, unless your in a league that does that type of system.  

But most don’t.  

Green 28 targets, 3 point per game avg non ppr ,and 8 avg per game ppr. 

Boyd 26 targets, 9 points per game avg non ppr, and 16 ppr. 

Higgins 15 targets, 9 points avg non ppr, and 13 ppr.  

I agree, Green doesn’t fit into this system, yet.  

And he might not at all, he’s horrible right now. 

Makes me sad, I was never worried about him being old.. looking at the way we view Julio being the same age. And he was Julio like not too long ago

On 9/27/2020 at 4:53 PM, weepaws said:

Mixon is a hold/ buy low canadiate. He didn't find his groove until halfway through last season. New team around him now and he will be a part of league champs this year as he was last year.

2 hours ago, gpann101 said:

Mixon is a hold/ buy low canadiate. He didn't find his groove until halfway through last season. New team around him now and he will be a part of league champs this year as he was last year.

Then those league champs must have some really productive players, not named Mixon. 

Thanks. 

But I do think that this weekend Mixon will have a outstanding game.  

I’m not ready to give up on Green yet. Dude hasn’t played in two years, rookie qb, yadda yadda yadda. He’s also drawn three tough corner matchups (defenses aren’t sticking them on Boyd yet). The Bengals will be throwing all year. 

🤷‍♂️ The good ol days are over obviously, but he holds as much upside as anybody available in my league. 

He's historically had foot issues , worst injury for skill players.  His sunset is near.  

On 10/2/2020 at 4:52 PM, weepaws said:

Hello Nostrodamus!

1 catch for 3 yards. Not saying he may not have a good game at some point, but what's the chance of him being in your lineup that week?

On 10/2/2020 at 4:52 PM, weepaws said:

Good call!

On 10/2/2020 at 7:08 PM, fatguylittlecoat said:

He's historically had foot issues , worst injury for skill players.  His sunset is near.  

and the other problem.... sometimes they say its a foot injury or turf toe, but actually is a lis franc injury.

it it is a lis franc(diagnosed or undiagnosed), he is definitely done at his age.

sadly, they wont be giving much more detail than what we have.  I have meant to watch a game to see if i could see the signs but havnt had the time.

either way, he has had significant time off so you do need to allow some time to shake the rust off.  and the lack of an exhibition season hasnt helped.   if he had some exhibition games he may have come in looking a little less rusty than he has.

I wouldnt go dumping him yet.   I think you need to give him a couple games.

I’m sorry Ray, but he’s done. 

Dunno why there are two threads on the same thing, so I'll just direct readers to this: