Sign in to follow this  
Rusty Syringes

Solve this

Just now, Mike Isles said:

I get 34

how do you get 44 or 45

Either one is mostly right. It’s the new math. Get with it, racist. 

2 minutes ago, Mike Isles said:

I get 34

how do you get 44 or 45

Here is my logic.  1+4=5, correct, OK.  2+5=12?  No, ok so find the pattern.  We just added 7.  Next we added 9, 2 more than 7.  So add 11 and then 13, 2 more each time...

1 + 4 = 5 

2 + 5 = 12

<Adding 7>

3 + 6 = 21

<Adding 9>

4 + 7 = 32

<Adding 11>

5 + 8 = 45

<Adding 13>

7 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

Here is my logic.  1+4=5, correct, OK.  2+5=12?  No, ok so find the pattern.  We just added 7.  Next we added 9, 2 more than 7.  So add 11 and then 13, 2 more each time...

1 + 4 = 5 

2 + 5 = 12

<Adding 7>

3 + 6 = 21

<Adding 9>

4 + 7 = 32

<Adding 11>

5 + 8 = 45

<Adding 13>

Your logic is flawed from the get go.

Yu didn't add 7, you added 5, the second set of numbers had a total of 7

14 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

1 + 4 = 5 

2 + 5 = 12

<Adding 7>

3 + 6 = 21

<Adding 9>

4 + 7 = 32

<Adding 11>

5 + 8 = 45

<Adding 13>

:huh:

5 x 8 = 40 + 5 = 45

That was the pattern.  No idea how to calculate 34 as alternate answer.

9 minutes ago, Meglamaniac said:

Your logic is flawed from the get go.

Yu didn't add 7, you added 5, the second set of numbers had a total of 7

12-5 =7, dummy.

So much racism with your colonial, exploitative math. 

3 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

12-5 =-7, dummy.

The equation was

2+5 dummy

the summation of 2+5 is 7 dummy

you are adding 5 to get the stated summation of 12 dummy

5 is the summation from the previous equation, 1+4 dummy

logic dictates that the pattern is adding the summation of the previous equation to the current summation dummy

Therefore the answer is 34 dummy

2 minutes ago, Meglamaniac said:

The equation was

2+5 dummy

logic dictates that the pattern is adding the summation of the previous equation to the current summation dummy

Usually with these types of riddles there is no one answer.  I presented how I got to 45, which is currently logical.  Your 34 makes sense too. 

6 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

:huh:

5 x 8 = 40 + 5 = 45

That was the pattern.  No idea how to calculate 34 as alternate answer.

Take the total from the previous equation and add it to the current equation to get total

so 1+4=5

2+5=7 + previous total of 5=12 and so forth

34 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

1 + 4 = 5 

2 + 5 = 12

<Adding 7>

3 + 6 = 21

<Adding 9>

4 + 7 = 32

<Adding 11>

5 + 8 = 45

<Adding 13>

I did the pattern as... 

1 + 4 = 5 being... 1 x 4 (4) + 1 = 5.  So, the two numbers are multiplied and then re-add the first digit.

2 + 5 = 12 being... 2 x 5 (10) + 2 = 12

3 + 6 = 21 being... 3 x 6 (18) + 3 = 21

4 + 7 = 32 being... 4 x 7 (28) + 4 = 32

5 + 8 = ?  being... 5 x 8 (40) + 5 = 45

11 minutes ago, Meglamaniac said:

The equation was

2+5 dummy

You're skipping 4 + 7.  If you're going with this pattern, you need to account for 4+7, otherwise, your logic doesn't fit.  The first 3 are consecutive, making your initial hypothesis correct, but once it skips 4 + 7, either you have to account for it while it not showing, or your hypothesis is incorrect because it doesn't follow the model.

2 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

You're skipping 4 + 7.  If you're going with this pattern, you need to account for 4+7, otherwise, your logic doesn't fit.  The first 3 are consecutive, making your initial hypothesis correct, but once it skips 4 + 7, either you have to account for it while it not showing, or your hypothesis is incorrect because it doesn't follow the model.

4+7 wasn't presented as an equation, it's not part of the problem to solve

3 minutes ago, Meglamaniac said:

4+7 wasn't presented as an equation, it's not part of the problem to solve

Then your equation doesn't work.  The first 3 are a consecutive pattern.  If it skips 4+7, then you have to as well.  You didn't.  You continued through.

16 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Then your equation doesn't work.  The first 3 are a consecutive pattern.  If it skips 4+7, then you have to as well.  You didn't.  You continued through.

What are you talking about!

1 + 4 = 5

2 + 5 = total of 7, add previous total to equal 12

3 + 6 = total is 9, add previous total of 12 to equal 21

5 + 8 = total is 13, add previous total of 21 to get 34, therefore in this pattern

5+8=34

1 hour ago, Meglamaniac said:

What are you talking about!

1 + 4 = 5

2 + 5 = total of 7, add previous total to equal 12

3 + 6 = total is 9, add previous total of 12 to equal 21

5 + 8 = total is 13, add previous total of 21 to get 34, therefore in this pattern

5+8=34

36 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

LOL, lots of assumptions here

"Original Puzzle"

Not sure why people want to add things that are not there.

The puzzle as it was presented to us was 

1 + 4 = 5

2 + 5 = 12

3 + 6 = 21

5 + 8 = ?

The answer is 34 based on the information we are given

4th grade math problems taught in public high schools makes me think the true answer is equal to "liberal democrat". 

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Meglamaniac said:

"Original Puzzle"

1 + 4 = 5

2 + 5 = 12

3 + 6 = 21

5 + 8 = ?

It's also 45.

28 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

4th grade math problems taught in public high schools makes me think the true answer is equal to "liberal democrat". 

That's the insidious way BDS operates. 

Your entire life's panorama has become a unbroken view of things for which your poor, diseased brain classifies as "liberal democrat."

3 minutes ago, Rusty Syringes said:

That's the insidious way BDS operates. 

Your entire life's panorama has become a unbroken view of things for which your poor, diseased brain classifies as "liberal democrat."

One person alone can be pretty ignorant sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there isn't anything that can beat good ole rusty. Keep a-goin  junior. 

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

It's also 45.

I can agree with this based on the way you approached it

1 hour ago, Meglamaniac said:

"Original Puzzle"

1 + 4 = 5

2 + 5 = 12

3 + 6 = 21

5 + 8 = ?

I'm not really seeing a lot of assumptions.  What's given is more or less a pattern and not exactly mathematical equations.  Why?  Because 2 + 5 does not equal 12 and 3 + 6 does not equal 21.  In two-thirds of the sets, mathematically, the answer is incorrect.  I do find it interesting that you think there's a lot of assumptions being made there, while you're making the assumption that you're supposed to add the sum of the first set to the second set when there's clearly no evidence of that.

The 1, 2, & 3 (first numbers), are consecutive.  The 4, 5, & 6 (second numbers), are consecutive.  A consecutive pattern is set.  When it skips the 4/7, you can't evaluate the 5/8 in a consecutive fashion, because the consecutive pattern has been disrupted.  In a sense, it's probability.

For example, if a team runs the ball 3 times and passes once throughout a game for the first 3 weeks, then on the 4th game, they ran the ball the first 3 plays.  You get up to go to the kitchen to grab a beer.  When you came back, you saw them run the ball 3 more plays.  Did you sit there and say, "huh, they must have changed it up and ran 6 plays in a row", or would you say, "I must have missed a pass play"?  Logically, you would think that based on the pattern set, you most likely missed a pass play.

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I'm not really seeing a lot of assumptions.  What's given is more or less a pattern and not exactly mathematical equations.  Why?  Because 2 + 5 does not equal 12.  I also find it interesting that you think there's a lot of assumptions being made there, while you're making the assumption that you're supposed to add the sum of the first set to the second set when there's clearly no evidence of that.

The 1, 2, & 3 (first numbers), are consecutive.  The 4, 5, & 6 (second numbers), are consecutive.  A consecutive pattern is set.  When it skips the 4/7, you can't evaluate the 5/8 in a consecutive fashion, because the consecutive pattern has been disrupted.  In a sense, it's probability.

For example, if a team runs the ball 3 times and passes once throughout a game for the first 3 weeks, then on the 4th game, they ran the ball the first 3 plays.  You get up to go to the kitchen to grab a beer.  When you came back, you saw them run the ball 3 more plays.  Did you sit there and say, "huh, they must have changed it up and ran 6 plays in a row", or would you say, "I must have missed a pass play"?  Logically, you would think that based on the pattern set, you most likely missed a pass play.

That's theoretical as is the thought of an 'original puzzle'

I used the actual information I was given and based on the pattern I identified I came up with the solution, it's as simple as that.

Just because the numbers were sequincial has no bearing on the solution, you are once again trying to add something that was not given.

The answer is whatever you want it to be.  No answer is wrong.  Everyone gets an A+, Pass, and Ribbon!  Great job guys...oops...people!

20 hours ago, Gepetto said:

1 + 4 = 5

2 + 5 = 12

3 + 6 = 21

5 + 8 = ?

1 x 4 = 4    4 + 1 = 5

2 x 5 = 10  10 + 2 = 12

3 x 6 = 18  18 + 3 = 21 

5 x 8 = 40  40 + 4 = 44

The 1, 2, 3, and 4 I used above is the row number.

15 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

The answer is 13 because I don't accept false statements and don't draw connections that are not there.  The middle 2 statements are the equivalent of rusty talking politics.  Absolute nonsense to be laughed at and discarded.  if Rusty had prefaced the statements with "given:" you might come up with 45.  But he didn't tell me these statements were true.  He just made statements.

this test is a good example of how easily people just believe what they are told without question.

You know what, I was going to go with 45 but upon reading this, I like your answer far more because it's a good metaphor for reality. Rusty lives in a delusional world. A world that embraces the lies that 2+5=12 and 3+6= 19, where boys can be girls, where kneeling is heroic, where cops are bad and criminals are good, where Thomas Jefferson is a racist.

No Rusty. We're not falling for your sh*t.  No matter what you say, in this world, 5+8 still equals 13.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Mike Isles said:

It’s 34, fock off. It’s 34

Depends