Utilit99

Minnesota theater cancels its own Cinderella production because cast was ‘too White’

I hope they fail hugely.

Production company has hired a diversity consultant, says it plans to focus on becoming 'a more intentionally anti-racist theater

Chanhassen Dinner Theatres was planning to stage Roger & Hammerstein’s classic play later this year but a director scrapped the show this week

"It was 98 percent White," the theater’s director, Michael Brindisi, said of the show’s actors Wednesday. "That doesn’t work with what we’re saying we’re going to do."

Brindisi said he considered recasting but instead decided to put a self-inflicted spin on cancel culture — and "scrap this and start fresh with a clean slate."

The production company has hired a diversity consultant and says it plans to focus on becoming "a more intentionally anti-racist theater" with "identity-conscious casting," it said in a statement. 

"After careful consideration and with our ongoing commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, we have made the decision to cancel our upcoming production," it states.

"In addition to changing future programming, we are establishing new pre-production protocols. We will be inviting and paying [Black, Indigenous, People of Color] artists to analyze the production with our creative teams through a new Diversity, Equity and Inclusion lens."

But the theater firm — which is based in the largely White Minneapolis suburb of Chanhassen — may have trouble finding people of color to fill roles. Chanhassen’s population is 92 percent White, 3 percent Hispanic and 1 percent Black, according to recent Census data.

In place of "Cinderella," the theater will now stage the dance-centric musical "Footloose" in 2022, according to the report. It also plans to reopen a production of "The Music Man" in July.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/us/minnesota-theater-cancels-its-own-cinderella-production-because-cast-was-too-white.amp

Duh, why not just add a couple of colored folks to hold lanterns on the pumpkin-shaped carriage?

10 minutes ago, fandandy said:

Duh, why not just add a couple of colored folks to hold lanterns on the pumpkin-shaped carriage?

Dress them in horse costumes.

1 minute ago, TimmySmith said:

Are they still doing Snow White in the Fall? 

And I'm one minute too late.  

It's only a matter of time til they cancel Swan Lake because there's a white good swan, and a deceptive tempestuous black swan.

12 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

So, in an effort to be anti-racist... he's going to be racist?

Yep. And the city where this is a business is 98% white. Can you imagine if this were happening in every city in the US? Wouldn't even be close to have enough token blacks to go around.

So they are going to cultural appropriate a western fairy tale? Is that what I am reading? Would the do the same for an african folk tail?

Amazing how that works.

3 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

So they are going to cultural appropriate a western fairy tale? Is that what I am reading? Would the do the same for an african folk tail?

Amazing how that works.

Roots. Starring the Bee Gees as slaves.Staying Alive.

• Haha 1

As I said in the thread about white hate crime, it’s only a matter of time. They are already normalizing being biased against white people. They are also normalizing insulting white people, firing them for being white (such as the actors in this play), and excusing violence against white people. 

In order to prevent how racism was like decades and centuries ago they are promoting it against the opposite race. So how long before they do this too many times to regular people and make them become unhinged or setting off someone who’s already on the verge of losing it? Within the next 3-5 years I seriously see discrimination rising to the point where it’ll become commonplace 

OK, who wants to be the wicked stepmother, the ugly stepsisters or the one treated like a slave? 

11 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

OK, who wants to be the wicked stepmother, the ugly stepsisters or the one treated like a slave? 

Marry. Fock Kill?

I had to take our company's diversity class yesterday. Something about unconscious bias. Only two takeaways that I got. One, if you're white you're wrong. If you stand up to racism, then you're a white hero complex jerk. But, silence equals violence.

And two, at the end of the day, it boiled down to treat everybody with courtesy civility and respect.

No chit? So you mean I should probably stop hurling racial epithets at people when they walk in the door? Great class!

17 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Roots. Starring the Bee Gees as slaves.Staying Alive.

Roots staring carrot top as Kunta Kinta

“Hired a diversity consultant “. The end is nigh.  

So, in an attempt to attract more dorkies to the production company, they're proposing a more dance friendly show?

Geez, love to be in that meeting. How do we get the dark ones to join us?

Dancing! They love dancing! And fried chicken!

Brilliant!

1 hour ago, wiffleball said:

My theatre company is all male. I'm playing the lead in CinderFella. :banana:

• Haha 1

I doubt I would go out of my way to watch it either way  😄

that being said, attempts to remove merit from the process, well that ensures my money goes elsewhere,

Another question.  Why would you put on a show to which the original story had a virtually all white cast... then complain that you don't have enough minorities?

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Another question.  Why would you put on a show to which the original story had a virtually all white cast... then complain that you don't have enough minorities?

No focking clue. People are out of their minds.

Just got banned for 12 hours on Twitter cause I corrected someone, saying “gender dysphoria IS a mental health condition and that’s what trans people had. Sorry but that’s science and medicine”. Boom. Liberals don’t like facts so they ban them 

In my best Archie Bunker voice.....

"Cinderella didn't have any of those damn _______ in da first place Edith"

Diversity consultant.... consultant says Give more parts to non white people, even if they aren't as good of actors. That will be $1M.

3 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Diversity consultant.... consultant says Give more parts to non white people, even if they aren't as good of actors. That will be $1M.

Right? Bet those people make a killing nowadays. But you can’t be white and do it. Imagine how PISSED people would be if a white diversity consultant shows up :lol: 

I can't imagine this place has even been open, with the ridiculous restrictions that have been put on this state.

I like Sweden's idea. They're going to bring in boat loads of unpaid black people from Africa to work on internship programs with the promise of coming to a new world. I mean, that should really help diversity right?

22 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Right? Bet those people make a killing nowadays. But you can’t be white and do it. Imagine how PISSED people would be if a white diversity consultant shows up :lol: 

I bet I could become one. My gf is mixed, so I qualify.

25 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I bet I could become one. My gf is mixed, so I qualify.

Technically, I’m like 1/4th Indian cause my grandpa and his family were Indians. But you know how people are nowadays. If you don’t look like the stereotypical race then you’re white. That’s why they keep calling that Syrian mass shooter white 😒

7 hours ago, frank said:

After posting this, I listed to this song for the first time in 10 or more years. 

It holds up pretty well.