Sign in to follow this  
nobody

Sleepiest rookie sleepers for dynasty

George Blanda and Sid Luckman are perhaps ancient history to the kids out there but they were great in their time taking a look at the Bears QB history.  

But yeah it's been a minute.

On 6/30/2021 at 9:06 PM, LoOnAtIk said:

You don't think the epilepsy diagnosis has some teams scared? I figured that was the main reason.

Yes it did. I’ll add the Cowboys taking Doug Cosbie ahead of Joe Montana in the Third rd

On 6/23/2021 at 1:25 PM, AxeElf said:

I think it's great that a QB from a university with such a rich tradition of QBs in the NFL (Bobby Hoying, Mike Tomczak, Cardale Jones, Joe Germaine, Terrelle Pryor, Dwayne Haskins, Braxton Miller, Troy Smith), gets to go to an NFL team with an equally rich tradition of QBs.

Herbert wasn't too bad last year. Should I list all of the Oregon Ducks QBs drafted since Dan Fouts in 1973?

Talent is talent. Unless Ohio State sapped him of his abilities wasn't he always a highly touted prospect since high school?

1 hour ago, LoOnAtIk said:

Talent is talent. Unless Ohio State sapped him of his abilities wasn't he always a highly touted prospect since high school?

He was.  I think your epilepsy theory could have merit as well.

1 hour ago, nobody said:

He was.  I think your epilepsy theory could have merit as well.

The epilepsy take, the OSU take, the bears take, they're all valid. That's why I feel like he is being slept on. At least for dynasty leagues and for redraft 2QB leagues. I would not expect Dalton to hang on to the job all season.

Checking in with the Sleepiest Rookie Sleepers

Elijah Mitchell - Stellar camp so far by all accounts.  Coaches love Sermon, but Moore was called the 2nd best runningback on the team after Moestert.  

Kylin Hill - I've heard almost nothing about him.  I know he's taking reps at kick returner, but that's about it.  They probably view him as a space guy that can't carry the ball.

Kawaan Baker - Not great praise.  Described as having a good practice and needing to learn the playbook.

Jonathan Adams - Cut after about a day at OTAs.  I suspect he had attitude problems.

Josh Johnson - Described as solid by Pete Carrol.  I usually say someone is solid when they're adequate but not great.

Jaret Patterson - Sounds like he's in a fight with Peyton Barber and Lamar Miller for a roster spot.  Seems to be quickly becoming a fan favorite.  Have to take any articles praising him with a grain of salt, though, since he's so easy to root for.  Probably down to Barber and Patterson for the last spot. 

Jermar Jefferson - Doesn't seem like he's doing much.  The best blurbs I can find are him being praised for not having a bad attitude after getting blown up on special teams.

Once the injuries start piling up we'll get to see if any of these guys are going to be the best around and never let anyone keep them down.

On 8/5/2021 at 1:59 AM, nobody said:

Checking in with the Sleepiest Rookie Sleepers

Elijah Mitchell - Stellar camp so far by all accounts.  Coaches love Sermon, but Moore was called the 2nd best runningback on the team after Moestert.  

Kylin Hill - I've heard almost nothing about him.  I know he's taking reps at kick returner, but that's about it.  They probably view him as a space guy that can't carry the ball.

Kawaan Baker - Not great praise.  Described as having a good practice and needing to learn the playbook.

Jonathan Adams - Cut after about a day at OTAs.  I suspect he had attitude problems.

Josh Johnson - Described as solid by Pete Carrol.  I usually say someone is solid when they're adequate but not great.

Jaret Patterson - Sounds like he's in a fight with Peyton Barber and Lamar Miller for a roster spot.  Seems to be quickly becoming a fan favorite.  Have to take any articles praising him with a grain of salt, though, since he's so easy to root for.  Probably down to Barber and Patterson for the last spot. 

Jermar Jefferson - Doesn't seem like he's doing much.  The best blurbs I can find are him being praised for not having a bad attitude after getting blown up on special teams.

Once the injuries start piling up we'll get to see if any of these guys are going to be the best around and never let anyone keep them down.

Tutu Atwell

He was a 2nd round selection and he is playing behind Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp who are 29 and 28 respectfully. Kupp also has quite a few injuries to where i would think his play would drop off sooner rather than later.

He went undrafted in one of my dynasty leagues and i chose him in the 5th round of a 14 teamer.

I get it he is small, but he has both a good situation and good draft capital. There is no reason he should be as cheap as what he is.

17 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Tutu Atwell

He was a 2nd round selection and he is playing behind Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp who are 29 and 28 respectfully. Kupp also has quite a few injuries to where i would think his play would drop off sooner rather than later.

He went undrafted in one of my dynasty leagues and i chose him in the 5th round of a 14 teamer.

I get it he is small, but he has both a good situation and good draft capital. There is no reason he should be as cheap as what he is.

Van Jefferson is a good enough reason.

32 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Van Jefferson is a good enough reason.

I agree Van Jefferson is the more likely breakout candidate and I would rather own him over Atwell, however lets look at the facts.

Jefferson could not beat out Josh Reynolds, who looks like a journeyman 3/4 wr, for the #3 wr position last year and he had only 250 yards as a rookie. Jefferson's biggest game came when the rams were starting all of the #2's and mailing it in. It is not a forgone conclusion that he is the heir apparent to a starting role, he did not show very much as a rookie. Even if Jefferson is an heir apparent to the starting role, the current top 3 WR's are all approaching the cliff and we may find the djax is already over the cliff.

There will be multiple starting WR positions open up over the next 2 years.

Atwell is dirt cheap for 2nd round draft capital. I am unsure I have ever seen a 2nd round rookie WR go in either the 5th round of rookie drafts or undrafted in dynasty before. Especially one that is playing behind such an old starting group of WR's.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I agree Van Jefferson is the more likely breakout candidate and I would rather own him over Atwell, however lets look at the facts.

Jefferson could not beat out Josh Reynolds, who looks like a journeyman 3/4 wr, for the #3 wr position last year and he had only 250 yards as a rookie. Jefferson's biggest game came when the rams were starting all of the #2's and mailing it in. It is not a forgone conclusion that he is the heir apparent to a starting role, he did not show very much as a rookie. Even if Jefferson is an heir apparent to the starting role, the current top 3 WR's are all approaching the cliff and we may find the djax is already over the cliff.

There will be multiple starting WR positions open up over the next 2 years.

Atwell is dirt cheap for 2nd round draft capital. I am unsure I have ever seen a 2nd round rookie WR go in either the 5th round of rookie drafts or undrafted in dynasty before. Especially one that is playing behind such an old starting group of WR's.

Sure he's worth a flier. But at 5'9 155, he will need to bulk up if he's going to be an every down player...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Sure he's worth a flier. But at 5'9 155, he will need to bulk up if he's going to be an every down player...

But that is the point of this thread, rookie WR's that are fliers. I was just making the case for Atwell being one of the better fliers out there.

His size is the reason he is a flyer, if he had prototypical size and the rams chose him in the 2nd round he would be an early 2nd round pick in dynasty drafts.

His height is not an anomaly, he can bulk up over a year or two and plenty of wide receivers with similar height have been studs in fantasy: Wes Welker, Julian edelmen, TY Hilton, Djax, Steve Smith, Antonio Brown, Randal Cobb, etc.

I dunno about dynasty, but I've got my eye on Larry Rountree III to win the "thunder" role to Ekeler's "lightning" role for the Chargers.  There have been rumors that Justin Jackson could be cut, and Joshua Kelley hasn't really made the most of his opportunities.  Rountree was drafted by the current coaching administration, and scored over 40 TDs in college, so he's quickly becoming the favorite to win the grinder/goalline role that Ekeler just isn't built to fill.

That makes Rountree, along with Malcolm Brown in Miami, a couple of the biggest sleepers in non-PPR or scoring-only leagues.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AxeElf said:

I dunno about dynasty, but I've got my eye on Larry Rountree III to win the "thunder" role to Ekeler's "lightning" role for the Chargers.  There have been rumors that Justin Jackson could be cut, and Joshua Kelley hasn't really made the most of his opportunities.  Rountree was drafted by the current coaching administration, and scored over 40 TDs in college, so he's quickly becoming the favorite to win the grinder/goalline role that Ekeler just isn't built to fill.

That makes Rountree, along with Malcolm Brown in Miami, a couple of the biggest sleepers in non-PPR or scoring-only leagues.

Malcolm Brown not at practice today. Considered day to day with undisclosed injury. Oh and don't forget he stinks.

28 minutes ago, LoOnAtIk said:

Oh and don't forget he stinks.

And don't forget he'll vulture 7-8 TDs from Gaskin.

• Haha 1

Dolphins Rbs scored 10 rushing tds last season, I think that’s about what they’ll do this season, I don’t see one rb  recording more then 5

M Brown should be good for about five rushing tds.  

Roundtree has a chance for a role akin to Jamaal Williams’ role with the Packers. Great deep round flyer. Atwell size could limit him, we’ll see. But I still see that as a high flying offense. I’ve got both gaskin and Ahmed on cheap dynasty contracts. Might as well grab Brown.

3 hours ago, DrG said:

Roundtree

Let's all learn from the start--it's "Rountree," with no "d".

That was a test for a former spelling bee participant (you).

He will take the d with him to the end zone.

getting you ready for when the announcers do that

dd cummings 

I've been hearing a lot of good things about Bryan Edwards (WR-LV) lately.  Sounds like he might be one of those guys that you could get somewhat free, as he's going as WR80 at the moment.

I’ve read the same about B Edwards also, but if our think back to before the start of last season heard the same thing. Edwards had 15 targets.  

But I am surprised that I’ve heard that J Brown hasn’t look good, so this might be motivation talk from the chucky 

On 8/6/2021 at 12:49 PM, AxeElf said:

I totally agree with Elf. I think Rountree has no problem winning the backup to Ekeler and.even if Austin stays healthy I think Rountree could see in excess of 100 touches, which he'll make the most of and put up decent numbers. Definitely targeting him late rounds of a dynasty draft.

Nico Collins a 3rd round pick but he plays for the Texans. Which I think makes him qualified for a sleeper. Apparently he's been impressive in training camp.  Then again its training camp and almost everyone is said to look good. Still someone to keep a eye on.

Not if he’s on the Texans. 

2 hours ago, Super Cubs said:

Nico Collins a 3rd round pick but he plays for the Texans. Which I think makes him qualified for a sleeper. Apparently he's been impressive in training camp.  Then again its training camp and almost everyone is said to look good. Still someone to keep a eye on.

I've heard similar.  They said he should be starting which also isn't saying too much with the receivers they have, but I've heard at least a few people give Nico some pretty high praise.

My guy Jaret Patterson got some run in the 1st half and looked good making dudes who are going to be bagging groceries next month come up with air trying to tackle him.  

Even for preseason game 1, I was surprised to see him get action so early.  I was expecting 4th quarter.  He was clearly ahead of Lamar Miller.  Looks like he has a pretty good shot to make the team.

Hey nobody I have a question for you about mr Patterson, is he known as a pass catcher ? 

No.  That was one of his knocks, but he spent a bunch of time this off-season working on route running and receiving skills, and it appears to be showing.  

He'd need injuries to Gibson and mckissic to see any time I suspect.

Thank you very much. 

Yea it did appear that his offseason work on catching the balk worked out really good last night. 

On 8/13/2021 at 12:08 PM, nobody said:

My guy Jaret Patterson got some run in the 1st half and looked good making dudes who are going to be bagging groceries next month come up with air trying to tackle him. 

It was enough to get the Re-skins to re-lease Lamar Miller.

I'm just going to toss the name Brandon Aiyuk in here too.  He's 23 years old and I think he has the potential to become the #1 receiving threat in SF. I know he's not exactly a deep sleeper or anything, but I think he's being seriously overlooked and undervalued this year.

Aiyuk is already the number wr threat in SF.  

Over all non ppr , he’ll be a top 18 wr. 

On 6/28/2021 at 3:36 PM, nobody said:

Russell Wilson was supposedly too small.  Mahomes was a product of the air raid.  

What was Fields flaw?  He went to the big school.  He got the exposure in the big games.  He won.  He's the prototypical size.  What was the reasoning that the Jets are taking a one year wonder, the 49ers took a no-year wonder, Miami decided to stick with Tua, Denver decided they were better off with Lock, and Philly decided that Hurts and his 52% completion percentage of whatever was a better option than this stud from OSU?

Is he a one read qb like one guy said?  Is it a work ethic thing?  What?  What is it?  Why did the guy who was on par with Trevor Lawrence fall?  Is he an asshōle like Rodgers?  What is it?

All I'm saying is there is something wrong.  Every report I read says he's perfect and every time someone says anything that can be construed as negative, they get shouted down.  Is the NFL just racist and they don't want a black stud qb?  

Plus it sounds like Philadelphia might have DeShaun Watson on lockdown once his legal troubles are over...assuming he doesn't go to jail.

It sounds to me like the primary reason Fields fell is because of Dan Orlovsky, who, by the way, in an interview, just recently called him the next Patrick Mahomes. I don't know if he ever apologized for what he said about Fields, but I think his statement was the only thing that caused the FUD that dropped his stock. And he was still drafted with the 10th pick. Yes, my Bears are notoriously bad about QBs. But so were the Saints until they finally got Drew Brees. And they didn't even draft him. So were the Seahawks until they finally got Matt Hasselbeck. It just takes one good decision to turn things around. But having been burned before, I'm still not holding my breath with Fields until he shows us something magical. Plus, he's playing with some reckless abandon. His running touchdown in the preseason game was risky and dangerous, especially for a game that doesn't matter. Those kinds of plays may take him from being the next Mahomes into the next RGIII. 

3 hours ago, BigDaddy1978 said:

I'm just going to toss the name Brandon Aiyuk in here too.  He's 23 years old and I think he has the potential to become the #1 receiving threat in SF. I know he's not exactly a deep sleeper or anything, but I think he's being seriously overlooked and undervalued this year.

axe elf loves him. I think he’s being overvalued to be honest. He’s in direct competition with Deebo for 2nd fiddle to targets behind Kittle on a team that doesn’t particularly throw too much. Yeah I know Shanahan is the coach but I don’t think Jimmy G is that great and I don’t think Lance is ready.

He also had a pretty bad drop in that preseason game FWIW.

Also this thread is for rookies just FYI.

13 hours ago, BigDaddy1978 said:

Plus it sounds like Philadelphia might have DeShaun Watson on lockdown once his legal troubles are over...assuming he doesn't go to jail.

It sounds to me like the primary reason Fields fell is because of Dan Orlovsky, who, by the way, in an interview, just recently called him the next Patrick Mahomes. I don't know if he ever apologized for what he said about Fields, but I think his statement was the only thing that caused the FUD that dropped his stock. And he was still drafted with the 10th pick. Yes, my Bears are notoriously bad about QBs. But so were the Saints until they finally got Drew Brees. And they didn't even draft him. So were the Seahawks until they finally got Matt Hasselbeck. It just takes one good decision to turn things around. But having been burned before, I'm still not holding my breath with Fields until he shows us something magical. Plus, he's playing with some reckless abandon. His running touchdown in the preseason game was risky and dangerous, especially for a game that doesn't matter. Those kinds of plays may take him from being the next Mahomes into the next RGIII. 

Orlovsky is one of the biggest tools on TV.  Your anecdote is perfect example.  I seriously can't stand watching or listening to that douche.  That whole network jfc... 

• Like 1

On 8/18/2021 at 5:42 AM, LoOnAtIk said:

axe elf loves him. I think he’s being overvalued to be honest. He’s in direct competition with Deebo for 2nd fiddle to targets behind Kittle on a team that doesn’t particularly throw too much. Yeah I know Shanahan is the coach but I don’t think Jimmy G is that great and I don’t think Lance is ready.

He also had a pretty bad drop in that preseason game FWIW.

Also this thread is for rookies just FYI.

True. I don't know how it escaped me this was exclusive to rookies but, well, I'm human. I have my moments where I'm not that observant. And other times where I could have identified Deep Throat if given the opportunity. Forgive me?

On 8/18/2021 at 1:56 AM, weepaws said:

Aiyuk is already the number wr threat in SF.  

Over all non ppr , he’ll be a top 18 wr. 

I think a lot of people figured Deebo was going to be first on the depth chart. I think it's very possible they're going to move packages around a lot and it's really going to come down to who gets open more. For example, Wes Welker was considered a slot guy and not, technically, the #1 option. But he still lead the team multiple years in receptions. Kind of the same idea for Gronk, or Jimmy Graham. In other words, first on the depth chart doesn't always mean 1st in receptions or even targets.

I think you might be underestimating the people that post on here. 

Everyone knows including every ADP that Aiyuk is going to be the wr1 for the Niners, D Samuel would be the Niners wr2. 

Might as well check in while we're here.

Elijah Mitchell - he was having a great camp but he's been missing time with a hip injury.  Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up on the PUP or something so they can stash him away.

Kylin Hill - I didn't hear much about him the first few weeks of camp, but he has really come on strong.  Aaron Jones has been missing time with a minor injury and Kylin has been getting those starter reps.  I think if Aaron Jones misses time, they would make Kylin the 3rd down back for sure.

Kawaan Baker - I don't think he'll pan out, but he's been getting some reps with the first team.  Along side Marquez Callaway and while TreQuan is out.  If he ever turns into something it probably won't be this year.

Josh Johnson - Game seems to big for him.  He'll probably be on the practice squad of he's not outright cut.

Jaret Patterson - well he's carving up backups like he's supposed to be, and they cut Miller.  If he continues to show well returning kicks, I think he'll have a spot on the roster.  The fact that he's getting so much preseason work tells me they don't really think they'll be using him the regular season.

Jermar Jefferson - Seems to have a lock on the #3 RB role, but I don't think he's been dynamic enough to jump over Jamaal Williams.  An ankle injury don't don't help his cause to show off what he can do.

I should also officially add Trey Ragas to the sleepiest sleepers list.  Undrafted free agent out of ULALA, he was the thunder to Elijah Mitchell's lightning.  Big, fast runner and he made Seattle's run defense look really bad last week.  They couldn't bring him down.  Obviously behind Jacobs and Drake, but since Jalen Richard has been out he's been getting a lot of exposure.