DonS

Shows/Events you regret passing on?

A few years ago Slayer was playing a medium sized venue.  Not a huge Slayer fan but I also don't mind when a song of theirs comes on. 

Tickets were only like $30 (GA).  Lineup included a bunch of other acts I never really listened to so I decided to pass. 

Looking back I wished I had gone as it probably would've been a fun live show.

G0ddamn my case of concert blue balls is getting bad. :cry:

Any shows or other events that you guys regret passing on? 

• Like 1

Bowie, Petty, Eagles

all back when they cost less than 20 bucks

Also, the tour when UFO opened for RUSH, that would have been greta! 

Finally got to see Rush on their last tour..pretty happy about that one.  There are few I would like to see now, The Cure, but none that I feel I missed.

• Like 1

Went to a Danzig concert but skipped the opening act because I had not heard of them. It was Marilyn Manson. I really regretted that a few months later. :mad:

Always wanted to see Trans Siberia Orchestra. Something has always come up when they were close to me. Last year I was going no matter what. Then covid took care of that.

This year I'm going no matter what.

• Like 1

I regret that I lived in the Nashville area for a decade and a half and never...

Went to jack Daniel's distillery (a 30 minute drive from my house)

Went to the Kentucky derby (3 hour drive)

Did the bourbon trail. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Big Guy said:

Bowie, Petty, Eagles

all back when they cost less than 20 bucks

Also, the tour when UFO opened for RUSH, that would have been greta! 

I just realized my concert days are ending. Most acts I give a fock to see are old as fock or dead. 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

I regret that I lived in the Nashville area for a decade and a half and never...

Went to the Kentucky derby (3 hour drive)

Did the bourbon trail. 

doing the bourbon trail next month

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

doing the bourbon trail next month

My dad goes to jack Daniel's every year or so. There is a special “select reserve” or some sh!t that you can only buy there.

My first principal in China was a drunk. Like most Chinese men. And like all Chinese men, status and face is everything. They think regular black label jack is high end sh!t.

So after my first year, I bought one of dad's special bottles off him and brought it back.

Had my assistant explain that this can ONLY be bought in person from the distiller. That only x number of bottles exist in the world, and that Xi Jinping himself probably has never tried it.

I was bulletproof at that place after that. He kept that bottle in his bookshelf unopened. I could literally take a sh!t on his desk and he'd laugh after that. I'd go in his office to smoke cigarettes all the time. Skipped every faculty meeting and opening ceremony for the entire year. Best money I ever spent. 

• Like 1

Preakness in the Spring of 98. I was new to Baltimore and from the DC suburbs. I went to HFStival which focking blew that year while everybody I knew had the best day of the year in the Preakness infield. 

2 hours ago, avoiding injuries said:

Preakness in the Spring of 98. I was new to Baltimore and from the DC suburbs. I went to HFStival which focking blew that year while everybody I knew had the best day of the year in the Preakness infield. 

I don't know about the Preakness, but I hear the infield at the Kentucky derby is crazy. Chicks in sundresses getting randomly fingerblasted and such. 

8 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

I just realized my concert days are ending. Most acts I give a fock to see are old as fock or dead. 

truth 😭

it's really hard to get into new bands nowadays, times have changed so much. And even though we have more access to the artists via the internet, it's somehow less intimate. It seems like we knew and cared much more about them when we knew less. 

1 hour ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

I don't know about the Preakness, but I hear the infield at the Kentucky derby is crazy. Chicks in sundresses getting randomly fingerblasted and such. 

Similar, but replace the sundress with shorts and a bikini top. Guys would have girls on their shoulders and the crowd would chant “show your t!ts”. They were unmercifully boo’d until they did it. 
The good old days of subtle sexual harassment. 

On 8/13/2021 at 3:57 PM, Kopy said:

Always wanted to see Trans Siberia Orchestra. Something has always come up when they were close to me. Last year I was going no matter what. Then covid took care of that.

Saw them a while back, fantastic show. :cheers: 

For shows I regret passing on:  June of 1990, I visited a friend in North Hollywood.  Four people living in a dump.  Spent the weekend partying, and one of the roommates was a musician (of course).  But not just any musician; their band was produced by the same producer who worked with U2 or some such name drop.  In fact, they were playing at some outdoor venue the day I was leaving, and they asked if I wanted to stay.  No thanks I said, I'm starting a new position at my company tomorrow so I should get back to Phoenix.  Of course I'm thinking they were playing at some park for free or something.  Just as I was about to leave there was a knock on the door; standing there was a stunning woman in a tight fitting limo drivers outfit with a stretch limo parked on the street.  Uhh... maybe they actually were something?  It was too late for me to change my flights at that point, and I heard it was a blast.  :( 

• Sad 1

On 8/13/2021 at 6:57 PM, Kopy said:

Youll be disappointed 

11 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Saw them a while back, fantastic show. :cheers: 

For shows I regret passing on:  June of 1990, I visited a friend in North Hollywood.  Four people living in a dump.  Spent the weekend partying, and one of the roommates was a musician (of course).  But not just any musician; their band was produced by the same producer who worked with U2 or some such name drop.  In fact, they were playing at some outdoor venue the day I was leaving, and they asked if I wanted to stay.  No thanks I said, I'm starting a new position at my company tomorrow so I should get back to Phoenix.  Of course I'm thinking they were playing at some park for free or something.  Just as I was about to leave there was a knock on the door; standing there was a stunning woman in a tight fitting limo drivers outfit with a stretch limo parked on the street.  Uhh... maybe they actually were something?  It was too late for me to change my flights at that point, and I heard it was a blast.  :( 

I'm 98.7% sure that the band's name is Neverland.  Apparently they had a few albums and a song featured in a Bill and Ted movie?  Timing is right, as their first album came out in 1991.

https://www.alexrox.com/best-band-youve-never-heard-neverland-where-did-they-go/

Also here is the Bill and Ted song:

• Sad 1

On 8/13/2021 at 1:38 PM, DonS said:

A few years ago Slayer was playing a medium sized venue.  Not a huge Slayer fan but I also don't mind when a song of theirs comes on. 

Tickets were only like $30 (GA).  Lineup included a bunch of other acts I never really listened to so I decided to pass. 

Slayer is/was awesome live

10 minutes ago, kutulu said:

Slayer is/was awesome live

I can only imagine.  A band that you're only meh about seeing that puts on a great show >>> a big artist that sucks live. 

Hmmm...  I sense a spermoff thread coming (no pun intended).... 

42 minutes ago, DonS said:

I can only imagine.  A band that you're only meh about seeing that puts on a great show >>> a big artist that sucks live. 

Hmmm...  I sense a spermoff thread coming (no pun intended).... 

For that reason, I'd have loved to see a Gwar show, even though I hate their music. 

28 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

For that reason, I'd have loved to see a Gwar show, even though I hate their music. 

That would be a fun time for sure. 

It's this philosophy that helped me discover Ghost.  I hadn't heard a single song of theirs but knew of their shtick. When I saw they were coming to town I thought why not?  Bought a ticket and THEN starting listening to them.  Turned out that I really like their (well his) entire discography.   Show was a blast.  Lots of good people watching as well. Can't go wrong with sluts dressed up like naughty nuns. :thumbsup:

On 8/13/2021 at 11:38 AM, DonS said:

would you consider getting a mohawk for the show?

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, taco breath said:

would you consider getting a mohawk for the show?

Quit body shaming me!  I'm bald. :cry:

1 minute ago, DonS said:

Quit body shaming me!  I'm bald. :cry:

let me rephrase that ...

if you had hair, would you consider getting a mohawk for the show?

2 minutes ago, taco breath said:

let me rephrase that ...

if you had hair, would you consider getting a mohawk for the show?

Gotcha.

Considering the age of the band (and fans) I have a feeling a good chunk of the crowd would look like me with little to no hair.  Having a mohawk in that crowd would probably be the exception. 

how about 20 years ago?

I regret on missing the Ride DonS’ wife Tour. 

I would have had to get on that before she made her way up to Buffalo- Dem Bills rooned that vag. 

On 8/14/2021 at 1:57 AM, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

I never...

And I’ve done it at least five times. All your guides were good and informative as well as funny. 

One joke was (it is in a dry town) that even though they can distill it there they cannot provide samples. However the nearest place you can get it is X miles X feet and X amount of steps.