Jump to content

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, remote controller said:

Asparagus in tempura

I actually used this as a side to a pan seared chicken with a mushroom chicken glace (like a chicken demi)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dogcows said:

I don’t know why they became famous; but the original Anchor bar started doing it in the 60s. I don’t know how old you are but they might have come up with it first.

I fry the wings and then toss them in the butter/hot sauce... but your method sounds delicious too.

I started cooking professionally over 20 years ago, made wings since about 1990.  Always fry then toss wings in sauce when a deep fryer is available.

there have been times I/we seasoned, then baked as a par cook… but still fried to finish to order.

 

when no deep fryer, season, bake, then toss in sauce

 

for the past 5-10 years I like grilling and smoking them 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dogcows said:

I don’t know why they became famous; but the original Anchor bar started doing it in the 60s. I don’t know how old you are but they might have come up with it first.

I fry the wings and then toss them in the butter/hot sauce... but your method sounds delicious too.

Yeah. I never knew of the anchor bar, but I don't doubt this has been done in some form way before me at all. When I started making wings I didn't like deep frying at home. So I just went oven. 

One thing I would like to try doing myself is fish and chips. I can never find a fish and chips place that doesn't have greasy fried fish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

 

One thing I would like to try doing myself is fish and chips. I can never find a fish and chips place that doesn't have greasy fried fish. 

 

I don't order fish and chips often for myself, but my daughter sometimes does.  It is rare that we have it as greasy as you describe.

do it as tempura....much lighter, than traditional F&C.  rice flour, ginger ale, powdered ginger and garlic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

I started cooking professionally over 20 years ago, made wings since about 1990.  Always fry then toss wings in sauce when a deep fryer is available.

there have been times I/we seasoned, then baked as a par cook… but still fried to finish to order.

 

when no deep fryer, season, bake, then toss in sauce

 

for the past 5-10 years I like grilling and smoking them 

My stove is an air fryer, so I am loving just air frying a whole rack of wings and have 4 to 5 bowls of different sauces available for guests to toss whatever flavor they want.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2022 at 12:44 PM, Bier Meister said:

no, but now "buffalo wings," "wing sauce," and "buffalo sauce" are associated with buffalo and upstate ny.

 

It is sometimes used for branding, or quality assurance... a restaurant cannot sell rock lobster when a menu reads Maine lobster.

cheeses made in wisconsin want that to be known, etc.

The point was, with respect to dogcows, that no one from western new york calls chicken wings "Buffalo Wings".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Casual Observer said:

The point was, with respect to dogcows, that no one from western new york calls chicken wings "Buffalo Wings".

I was not debating what people in Buffalo call them.


 

I was responding to ltm’s questions about the the origin, labeling, and terminology 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

I was not debating what people in Buffalo call them.


 

I was responding to ltm’s questions about the the origin, labeling, and terminology 

And I concede to your points.

I still think it is weird.  

Adding butter to Frank's doesn't drastically change the flavor.  

Yet butter and franks is "buffalo sauce". While franks is hot sauce.  

And not all hot wings are made just with franks and butter.  So "buffalo sauce" is ever changing.  

I concede I just think it is goofy.  When you are going to order them hot med mild (among others) then it is easier to drop the buffalo.  The buffalo word doesnt really explain much of anything when ordering wings with hot sauce on them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i dont eat fried food or buffalo wings.  i associate Flutie Flakes with Buffalo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

And I concede to your points.

I still think it is weird.  

Adding butter to Frank's doesn't drastically change the flavor.  texturally different

Yet butter and franks is "buffalo sauce". While franks is hot sauce.  

And not all hot wings are made just with franks and butter.  So "buffalo sauce" is ever changing.  we agree

I concede I just think it is goofy.  When you are going to order them hot med mild (among others) then it is easier to drop the buffalo.  The buffalo word doesnt really explain much of anything when ordering wings with hot sauce on them. generally, "buffalo sauce" is synonymous with "wing sauce."  Don't get hung up on degree of heat.  But a new trend (over the past 5 years) is "Nashville hot"... so we are starting to see the regional stamp.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had someone out of state say

"Lets go get some "buffalo wings" "

Then we go and they order hot bbq.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

I have had someone out of state say

"Lets go get some "buffalo wings" "

Then we go and they order hot bbq.  

if we really want to slap their hands... they should have said "let's go get some wings." Or maybe they changed their minds when they arrived?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

if we really want to slap their hands... they should have said "let's go get some wings." Or maybe they changed their minds when they arrived?

I just think some people have buffalo wings synonymous with chicken wings.  Not the style/sauce.  

Just weirds me out is all.  We can move on haha.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you come to WNY we will go out to eat.  You can get buffalo wings ill get chicken wings and tell them how id like them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

I just think some people have buffalo wings synonymous with chicken wings. true Not the style/sauce.  

Just weirds me out is all.  We can move on haha.  please

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buffaloes don’t have wings HTH

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2022 at 4:40 PM, Bier Meister said:

 

i see a side as something that comes with the order.

 

there are sides that are also purchased separately... and appetizers.    I almost always have seen Jalapeno poppers as appetizers

 


 Hush puppies Daddy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bier Meister said:

I was not debating what people in Buffalo call them.


 

I was responding to ltm’s questions about the the origin, labeling, and terminology 

Yes, that was ltm's point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2022 at 4:46 PM, dogcows said:

I've been living out of WNY too long - if I don’t call them Buffalo wings, people around here don’t know what I’m talking about. Growing up we just called them wings.

Sure, man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Casual Observer said:

Yes, that was ltm's point.

He is confused about what everyone calls them, not just those from Buffalo 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a Buffalo Wild Wings in Buffalo? What do you do then? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Is there a Buffalo Wild Wings in Buffalo? What do you do then? 

 

57 minutes ago, nospk said:

Buffaloes don’t have wings HTH

 

32 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

He is confused about what everyone calls them, not just those from Buffalo 

 

1 hour ago, listen2me 23 said:

I just think some people have buffalo wings synonymous with chicken wings.  Not the style/sauce.  

Just weirds me out is all.  We can move on haha.  

 

3 hours ago, Casual Observer said:

The point was, with respect to dogcows, that no one from western new york calls chicken wings "Buffalo Wings".

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Casual Observer said:

Sure, man.

You caught me; I’m not from WNY.

I was actually born in Kenya and I’m wearing a tan suit RIGHT NOW. I ran the country for 8 years thanks to my fake Hawaiian birth certificate and there’s nothing you can do about it! In your face!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dogcows said:

You caught me; I’m not from WNY.

I was actually born in Kenya and I’m wearing a tan suit RIGHT NOW. I ran the country for 8 years thanks to my fake Hawaiian birth certificate and there’s nothing you can do about it! In your face!

If Ben Carson had been president instead of Hussein, this country would not be this divided in the least. 

Hussein was the worst most destructive president this country has known. Even worst than creepy joe because creepy joe is just a stupid old man who has no balls. But don't get me wrong, creepy joe is a very close #2. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just order however the menu shows it.  Usually that's 10 (or 20) wings with buffalo sauce (cooked char-buffed or traditional) with ranch or blue cheese and I have to make sure to ask for the celery or they might leave it off the order.

https://www.oscarscarryout.com/menu

What's a good price for 10 wings?  The place that's considered the best in Omaha is Oscar's and they charge $13.99 for 10 wings now.  I haven't gotten them in a while I just realized.  They use to be $10.99 not that long ago.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2022 at 4:47 PM, dogcows said:

You caught me; I’m not from WNY.

I was actually born in Kenya and I’m wearing a tan suit RIGHT NOW. I ran the country for 8 years thanks to my fake Hawaiian birth certificate and there’s nothing you can do about it! In your face!

I think we did catch you.  The rest of your stupid post doesn't detract from the fact that we caught you.  You remind of the Baron who came from Southeat PA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2022 at 9:25 PM, Gepetto said:

I just order however the menu shows it.  Usually that's 10 (or 20) wings with buffalo sauce (cooked char-buffed or traditional) with ranch or blue cheese and I have to make sure to ask for the celery or they might leave it off the order.

https://www.oscarscarryout.com/menu

What's a good price for 10 wings?  The place that's considered the best in Omaha is Oscar's and they charge $13.99 for 10 wings now.  I haven't gotten them in a while I just realized.  They use to be $10.99 not that long ago.

Chicken shortage.  Wings have skyrocketed in price.  13.99 for 10 is about par for the course these days.   

I don't care what you call them.  Or how you order them.  Just do not utter the word ranch ever again.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2022 at 11:57 AM, Casual Observer said:

I think we did catch you.  The rest of your stupid post doesn't detract from the fact that we caught you.  You remind of the Baron who came from Southeat PA.

You’re a regular private eye… 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2022 at 12:11 PM, listen2me 23 said:

Chicken shortage.  Wings have skyrocketed in price.  13.99 for 10 is about par for the course these days.   

I don't care what you call them.  Or how you order them.  Just do not utter the word ranch ever again.  

Ranch = 🤮

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2022 at 4:53 PM, Big Guy said:

If I don't die watching a Cowboy Game or by the NWO, I'll probably die from Fried Food...............ok, maybe Ice Cream.

So other than Fries, what are your faves?  I'm personally partial to Jalapeno Poppers dipped in Mae Ploy's Sweet Chilly Sauce.

I bought that chilly sauce based on your recommendation. It’s too sweet.  Maybe I’ll add some hot sauce to it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I bought that chilly sauce based on your recommendation. It’s too sweet.  Maybe I’ll add some hot sauce to it. 

I agree.....it IS too sweet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need a good recipe for wings and for hot sauce.  Are wings supposed to be fried or baked?  Making for first time tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gepetto said:

I need a good recipe for wings and for hot sauce.  Are wings supposed to be fried or baked?  Making for first time tonight.

Basic wings are pretty easy.  
 

thawed wings.  
pat dry

i coat with Cajun seasoning 

 

fry.

 

sauce… heat:

2 c Frank’s hot sauce 

2-4 tbs butter 

then I play with different flavors:

honey

clove

chipotle

pineapple juice

garlic

ginger/lemongrass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gepetto said:

I need a good recipe for wings and for hot sauce.  Are wings supposed to be fried or baked?  Making for first time tonight.

I prefer baked by a mile. I usually melt butter and add a little garlic powder, pepper, cayenne pepper and some dried parsley, and/or whatever I'm in the mood for. So maybe some lemon juice. Put all that with the butter and melt it up. 

I'll make sure the wings are dry, and after the butter and seasonings are melted I'll mix that with the wings in a bowl. Put the wings on racked pan and bake. Maybe 400 degrees for 45 minutes or so depending on your oven. 

For the sauce, everyone likes something different. Pick what you like from the store or look up a recipe that suites your tastes. 

After the wings are done, taste one and see how you like the bake on it along with the butter mix so you can adjust next time if you like, then mix all the wings in the sauce.

Blue cheese dressing for the win. I like Ken's brand. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Franks is on the Mount Rushmore of overrated sauces.  Adding butter to it makes it buttery and overrated, which is moderately better.  It is the last sauce I'll pick of the options available; I only eat it if I'm out with folks and somebody orders some for the table.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Franks is on the Mount Rushmore of overrated sauces.  Adding butter to it makes it buttery and overrated, which is moderately better.  It is the last sauce I'll pick of the options available; I only eat it if I'm out with folks and somebody orders some for the table.

There are many other ways I prefer wings, but your franks and butter is your basic Buffalo wing.

 

These  are crack to me

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it's worth, wings are fine. But they have gotten so incredibly overpriced. Not long ago, a bar throw away, dime each or such. . And now you're likely to get them for less than a buck and a quarter apiece. Focking stoopid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wiffleball said:

For what it's worth, wings are fine. But they have gotten so incredibly overpriced. Not long ago, a bar throw away, dime each or such. . And now you're likely to get them for less than a buck and a quarter apiece. Focking stoopid. 

I was just looking at San tung’s menu and am not seeing their wings.

 

pre-covid, wings were about $100/ 40lb case.

They climbed, and stayed around $160 for the same amount.  Not worth serving yet.  You either have to charge more, or reduce your portion size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

I was just looking at San tung’s menu and am not seeing their wings.

 

pre-covid, wings were about $100/ 40lb case.

They climbed, and stayed around $160 for the same amount.  Not worth serving yet.  You either have to charge more, or reduce your portion size.

For the Anchor Bar & so many others, wings were what's called a loss leader. No, you weren't going to make money on them, but it brought people in and they drank more.

It's because bars know that their first two or three shots out of any bottle pay for the entire f****** bottle and everything after that is pure profit.

Then Corporate got involved. 

 

That entire concept seems to have flown out the window. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×