Big Guy

Deep Fried Side

38 minutes ago, Mike Isles said:

Hmmmmm - never had that. Breaded ?

Yep. Also with parmesan. Mmm...

1 hour ago, Utilit99 said:

Yep. Also with parmesan. Mmm...

Oh my. I gotta get this straight. Steamed artichokes. Eat the “meat” off the leaves down to the heart. Remove. Bread. Fry in oil ?? I’m torn because I love the heart the way it is. 
Wow. Interesting 

1 minute ago, Mike Isles said:

Oh my. I gotta get this straight. Steamed artichokes. Eat the “meat” off the leaves down to the heart. Remove. Bread. Fry in oil ?? I’m torn because I love the heart the way it is. 
Wow. Interesting 

I use artichoke hearts in quiches. Love them. Spinach and artichoke quiche. Mix in some cheddar and parmesan. Made one 2 days ago. 

I used canned artichokes. Way easier and to me they are really tasty.

And yeah, for fried artichokes, those are fried in oil. I wonder if they would cook nice in the oven instead of frying? 🤔

Also love beer battered fried jalapeno strips. 

7 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

I used canned artichokes. Way easier and to me they are really tasty.

See I considered this just did not think canned (marinated) hearts would fry good. Canned in oil I assume? Bottled are in oil. If you never had fresh steamed hearts you are missing out bro. I loved the canned/bottled but the fresh is the BEST. 

1 minute ago, Mike Isles said:

See I considered this just did not think canned (marinated) hearts would fry good. Canned in oil I assume? Bottled are in oil. If you never had fresh steamed hearts you are missing out bro. I loved the canned/bottled but the fresh is the BEST. 

Canned in brine. So, salt water. 

I've had fresh artichokes and they are really good but there are certain kitchen tasks I choose to avoid. I usually only by frozen pie dough for a quiche for instance, and I don't bake in the least. And I choose canned artichokes over fresh just for convenience. 

There are sometimes I take the long road to prepare dinners but sometimes, especially on week nights, my girlfriend and I do easier preparations and try to be healthier on the week days as well. Simple dishes like maybe steak salad, or salad with toast or garlic bread. Maybe just vegetable plates etc...

Hate to beat a dead horse but it does not sound like you are taking canned artichoke hearts breading them and frying them (that has been my point from get go). Yeah using them in recipes and salads are great. Love them too. Point of OP is is/was deep frying and I have never associated artichoke hearts with deep frying. 

25 minutes ago, Mike Isles said:

Hate to beat a dead horse but it does not sound like you are taking canned artichoke hearts breading them and frying them (that has been my point from get go). Yeah using them in recipes and salads are great. Love them too. Point of OP is is/was deep frying and I have never associated artichoke hearts with deep frying. 

Numerous recipes, canned, jarred, etc. Take the recipes you like and adjust the cooking to how you like it. That's what I do for some items.

Fried artichokes to me are delicious. I always have a few cans of artichoke hearts on hand for numerous uses. Including fried.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fried+artichoke+hearts&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS925US925&oq=fried+artichoke+&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j0i512l8.7820j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

8 hours ago, dogcows said:

Do Buffalo wings count as a side? If so, that’s my pick.

Youre from Buffalo and call them Buffalo Wings? 

That is alien shlt

• Like 1

I'm a big steak & cheese and veal parm grinder eater. So probably more carbs than anything else with all that bread.

Poppers I guess would be my answer.  

I know we said besides fries but I love a good french fry.  

I like onions and onion rings are fine but I seem to like thrm less than the average.  Maybe I have never had good ones but you take one bite and many times the whole onion comes sliding out.  

I like a side order of that ass, and two of them tittties to go. 

• Haha 1

Mac and Cheese Egg Rolls.  

5 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Youre from Buffalo and call them Buffalo Wings? 

That is alien shlt

BUSTED.  I believe he said he was from the Southtowns, too.

21 minutes ago, Casual Observer said:

BUSTED.  I believe he said he was from the Southtowns, too.

I heard him say southtowns and it sort of verified it for me.  But now him calling them buffalo wings makes me curious again.  

Either way on the subject of that.  I had college friends from Long Island call them that.  I know people out of state do.  I have never heard anyone from upstate NY call them that.  I dont care what anyone calls them but I don't get it.  What part is "buffalo"?   Hot sauce? Maybe people from other places say "pass the buffalo sauce".  Not sure.  When you order them they come plain, mild, medium, hot, extra hot, death sauce or some other countless flavor that isn't all hot sauce based.  

I never really understood the term although I know it is common elsewhere.   

20 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

I heard him say southtowns and it sort of verified it for me.  But now him calling them buffalo wings makes me curious again.  

Either way on the subject of that.  I had college friends from Long Island call them that.  I know people out of state do.  I have never heard anyone from upstate NY call them that.  I dont care what anyone calls them but I don't get it.  What part is "buffalo"?   Hot sauce? Maybe people from other places say "pass the buffalo sauce".  Not sure.  When you order them they come plain, mild, medium, hot, extra hot, death sauce or some other countless flavor that isn't all hot sauce based.  

Wings used to be a very inexpensive cut, often tossed aside or used in stocks. To use as a main attraction was “founded” in Buffalo ny.  The derivatives came later 

2 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

Wings used to be a very inexpensive cut, often tossed aside or used in stocks. To use as a main attraction was “founded” in Buffalo ny.  The derivatives came later 

One of the chicken capitals of the world is the eastern shore of the Chesapeake.  Wings are sold there at "market price".  Just crazy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bier Meister said:

I understand where wings came about. I guess it makes sense.  But not every food has the name of its origin proceeding it.  A few do I guess.  

5 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

One of the chicken capitals of the world is the eastern shore of the Chesapeake.  Wings are sold there at "market price".  Just crazy. 

Having their processing plant in Salisbury doesn’t hurt. 

3 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

But not every food has the name of its origin proceeding it.  A few do I guess.  

no, but now "buffalo wings," "wing sauce," and "buffalo sauce" are associated with buffalo and upstate ny.

It is sometimes used for branding, or quality assurance... a restaurant cannot sell rock lobster when a menu reads Maine lobster.

cheeses made in wisconsin want that to be known, etc.

4 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

no, but now "buffalo wings," "wing sauce," and "buffalo sauce" are associated with buffalo and upstate ny.

It is sometimes used for branding, or quality assurance... a restaurant cannot sell rock lobster when a menu reads Maine lobster.

cheeses made in wisconsin want that to be known, etc.

I will see things on menu called "buffalo chicken wrap" it isn't a chicken wing.  It is diced chicken with hot sauce.  Or a buffalo burger.  It basically has maybe blue cheese and a hot sauce on it.  So to me people are calling things buffalo when hot sauce is included.   But I don't know people even out of state that say "pass the buffalo sauce" franks is just called "hot sauce".  

3 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

I will see things on menu called "buffalo chicken wrap" it isn't a chicken wing.  It is diced chicken with hot sauce.  Or a buffalo burger.  It basically has maybe blue cheese and a hot sauce on it.  So to me people are calling things buffalo when hot sauce is included.   But I don't know people even out of state that say "pass the buffalo sauce" franks is just called "hot sauce".  

right.  those, and other variations have been around for a while now.  shoot...even places like chili's have had a buffalo chicken sandwich on their menu for 20-25 years. "buffalo sauce" is its own thing, but originated from wings.  

There are so many variations for wings now that when you go to a wing place you have specify that you would like buffalo sauce (vs the other 20 options)

1 minute ago, Bier Meister said:

right.  those, and other variations have been around for a while now.  shoot...even places like chili's have had a buffalo chicken sandwich on their menu for 20-25 years. "buffalo sauce" is its own thing, but originated from wings.  

There are so many variations for wings now that when you go to a wing place you have specify that you would like buffalo sauce (vs the other 20 options)

But the original "buffalo sauce" was franks and butter.  No one in say Colorado calls Franks,  Buffalo Sauce.  At least to my knowledge.  

Right on thr last part.  If you sit down and order "buffalo wings" are you saying you want them how? 

I would like an order of Honey Mustard Wings.  

Vs

I would like an order of Honey Mustard Buffalo Wings

Waitrese: wait like you want hot honey mustard? 

Person: no honey mustard buffalo wings.  

Waitress: umm ok

8 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

But the original "buffalo sauce" was franks and butter.  No one in say Colorado calls Franks,  Buffalo Sauce.  At least to my knowledge.  

No,  I have never heard anyone order "wings with franks and butter."

Right on thr last part.  If you sit down and order "buffalo wings" are you saying you want them how? 

typically... "buffalo wings or wings with buffalo sauce.  Or wings sauce"

I would like an order of Honey Mustard Wings.  

Vs

I would like an order of Honey Mustard Buffalo Wings

Waitrese: wait like you want hot honey mustard? 

Person: no honey mustard buffalo wings.  

Waitress: umm ok

"i would like an order of wings with your honey mustard sauce.

You are probably right but it is all weird to me.  To me they are chicken wings.  

On the menu there isn't "buffalo style" because then you would also have to pick how hot you want them.  Mild Buffalo Wings.  Medium Buffalo Wings.  Hot Buffalo Wings.  Extra Hot Buffalo Wings.  Death Sauce Buffalo Wings.  

I get the origin of Buffalo Sauce since they didn't have a ton of different options.  But as for today I don't get it.  

I myself like hot butter garlic wings.

But I suppose some people would say they like hot buffalo butter garlic wings.  

Buffalo caulifflower is the bomb.

Basically deep fried buffalo wings, cept with cauliflower. 

Just now, Mike Isles said:

Chinese style wings

...and there are many

Also one more thing and Ill drop it people are probably getting annoyed.  

I understand "buffalo sauce" is a style of hot sauce put on wings.   But not everyone uses the basics of just franks and butter.  Most any place you go has their own version of hot wings.  

If I make hot wings at home I may use franks I may use another brand.  Butter.  worcester, honey, and I grow hot peppers so I will cut up a habanero or ghost pepper and let it sit in thr sauce overnight.  

Everyone's "buffalo sauce" is different.  Thats why to me they are just called "hot wings" or "hot chicken wings". 

🙄

Everyone has their own version now of wing sauce… but they are going to be close to Buffalo= Frank’s and butter.  If there is a big deviation, they usually state it

Deep Fried Bacon is overrated.  Good in theory, not so much in practice. 

Deep fried Artichoke Crowns are stellar. 

2 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Buffalo sauce is on the menu at a lot of restaurants.  It's not just hot sauce.  I think Buffalo sauce has hot sauce and melted butter and some other ingredients.

4 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

I've been living out of WNY too long - if I don’t call them Buffalo wings, people around here don’t know what I’m talking about. Growing up we just called them wings.

1 hour ago, Gepetto said:

Buffalo sauce is on the menu at a lot of restaurants.  It's not just hot sauce.  I think Buffalo sauce has hot sauce and melted butter and some other ingredients.

All you need is Frank’s Hot Sauce and butter. You can add extra spices if you want, but if you veer too far away from the basics, you’re not really Buffalo style anymore IMO.

13 minutes ago, dogcows said:

All you need is Frank’s Hot Sauce and butter. You can add extra spices if you want, but if you veer too far away from the basics, you’re not really Buffalo style anymore IMO.

I've been wings this way for years. I never even used someone's recipe. I just made it up.

I melt butter in a pan, add seasoning, douse the wings in it, cook them in the oven, and mix in the hot sauce. They are excellent.

Don't know why some place would be "famous" for doing that although they fry before they throw it into the butter and hot sauce.  

Just now, Utilit99 said:

I've been wings this way for years. I never even used someone's recipe. I just made it up.

I melt butter in a pan, add seasoning, douse the wings in it, cook them in the oven, and mix in the hot sauce. They are excellent.

Don't know why some place would be "famous" for doing that although they fry before they throw it into the butter and hot sauce.  

I don’t know why they became famous; but the original Anchor bar started doing it in the 60s. I don’t know how old you are but they might have come up with it first.

I fry the wings and then toss them in the butter/hot sauce... but your method sounds delicious too.

• Haha 1