Sign in to follow this  
MTSkiBum

Arkansas dream vacation - suggestions?

I am looking into going to either Ouachita national forest or Ozark national forest.  We are going in June with my wife's parents for a ~5 day trip.

Hopefully we can stay on one of the lakes at a resort type place or maybe rent cabins. I know the Ozark's are more famous, but they are an additional 2 hours of driving each way and I think hotsprings looks like a fun tourist town. 

Anyone ever vacation in the great state of Arkansas?

They have a place where you can Camp and dig for diamonds, a few times each year people pull out some decent sized ones.

• Like 1

Just now, RLLD said:

They have a place where you can Camp and dig for diamonds, a few times each year people pull out some decent sized ones.

:thumbsup:

That is one of the places that we were thinking about spending a day. I do have 2 kids that will be 5 and 7 at the time of the trip. I see them having fun digging 3-4 hours, but i am worried they might get bored if we spend longer than that.

I will need to research what additional activities they have around that area.

Lots of camping and the Hot Springs is a nice area.

My favorite bar in the world is Fat Jacks in Texarkana. There's one in Hot Springs but it's not as sh1itty as the one in Texarkana.

What's taking you to Arkansas?

Just curious why Arkansas.  Family there?  On the way to somewhere else?

Just be careful.  If you hear "Dueling Banjos" make sure and run like hell and don't look back!

10 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

Arkansas in June?  Sweat much? 

All of this. No focking thanks. 

37 minutes ago, fandandy said:

What's taking you to Arkansas?

Just curious why Arkansas.  Family there?  On the way to somewhere else?

I want to visit the entire country and the obvious answer is that you can't do that if you do not visit the entire country. 

A more serious answer would be that part of Arkansas is supposed to be beautiful. Rolling hills with forests, tons of lakes, waterfalls, streams, etc. My wife's parents are from El Paso and have not visited much of the US. I think it will be a good location for them.

A second reason is there are lots of little resorts around the lakes. Staying at those lakeside resorts is fun for the kids, they usually have evening time activities like marshmallow roasting to movies on the yard, putt-putt golf, swimming, etc.

33 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

Arkansas in June?  Sweat much? 

It will be nicer than Houston or El Paso.

1 minute ago, MTSkiBum said:

It will be nicer than Houston or El Paso.

No it won't. There's a reason COL is low in certain states. 

6 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I want to visit the entire country and the obvious answer is that you can't do that if you do not visit the entire country. 

A more serious answer would be that part of Arkansas is supposed to be beautiful. Rolling hills with forests, tons of lakes, waterfalls, streams, etc. My wife's parents are from El Paso and have not visited much of the US. I think it will be a good location for them.

A second reason is there are lots of little resorts around the lakes. Staying at those lakeside resorts is fun for the kids, they usually have evening time activities like marshmallow roasting to movies on the yard, putt-putt golf, swimming, etc.

I dig it.  Just curious.  I have never been there in my life but it looks like beautiful country.  Just seemed to me an odd choice for a vacation destination and I simply wondered.  I love your thought process though.

2 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

No it won't. There's a reason COL is low in certain states. 

I am unsure what COL means, but I just checked and the average high is 84. That is doable for us, anything less than 95 is generally a go for us for outdoor activities and under 90 is great for summer.

We hopefully will rent a boat one day, so a warmer day may not be bad.

3 minutes ago, fandandy said:

I dig it.  Just curious.  I have never been there in my life but it looks like beautiful country.  Just seemed to me an odd choice for a vacation destination and I simply wondered.  I love your thought process though.

I knew i was not going to get any help on this trip from the geek club. We do not have any geeks from that area and it is not a popular tourist destination.

My post was supposed to be ironic. Usually you get posters like mmmbeer dropping in to tell us about europe, or other posters with questions on Hawaii, etc. Arkansas is a loser vacation in comparison to those, which is why i started this thread.

Arkansas is a wonderful place to visit. Scenery great. People are great. If you like hiking at all, it’s great for that. Lake Hamilton south of Hot Springs or Hot Springs Village north of Hot Springs are great places. Petit Jean State Park is fantastic. Mount Magazine State Park has cabins with amazing views. 

• Like 1

Just now, Fumbleweed said:

Arkansas is a wonderful place to visit. Scenery great. People are great. If you like hiking at all, it’s great for that. Lake Hamilton south of Hot Springs or Hot Springs Village north of Hot Springs are great places. Petit Jean State Park is fantastic. Mount Magazine State Park has cabins with amazing views. 

Are you from that area?

I do have questions.

2 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I knew i was not going to get any help on this trip from the geek club. We do not have any geeks from that area and it is not a popular tourist destination.

My post was supposed to be ironic. Usually you get posters like mmmbeer dropping in to tell us about europe, or other posters with questions on Hawaii, etc. Arkansas is a loser vacation in comparison to those, which is why i started this thread.

It’s more popular than you think. If you live in Oklahoma or Louisiana, it’s your #1 getaway place. 

• Like 1

Just now, MTSkiBum said:

Are you from that area?

I do have questions.

Live in Oklahoma, but went to college in Arkansas and my daughter goes to college there now. I have spent tons of time there. Love it. 

3 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Are you from that area?

I do have questions.

Shoot me a PM and will be happy to answer any and all questions 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fumbleweed said:

Live in Oklahoma, but went to college in Arkansas and my daughter goes to college there now. I have spent tons of time there. Love it. 

Does hot springs have enough for 2 days on its own?

We were thinking 1 day on the lake, 2 in hot springs and 1 day looking for diamonds.

1 minute ago, MTSkiBum said:

Does hot springs have enough for 2 days on its own?

We were thinking 1 day on the lake, 2 in hot springs and 1 day looking for diamonds.

Kind of. There’s a highway called Scenic 7 (highway 7) that runs throughout the state. You can take it north to Petit Jean State Park and hike to a fantastic waterfall. In Hot Springs, Ohio Club is a great place to eat. Capone, Joe DiMaggio, all sorts of people used to eat there. Oaklawn is there if you like horse racing. Downtown Hot Springs is pretty cool, but you can cover it in an afternoon. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fumbleweed said:

Shoot me a PM and will be happy to answer any and all questions 

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

23 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

LOL.  You are too focking dry dude.  I can't read you.

17 minutes ago, fandandy said:

You are making wheeze cough like my grandma used to do right before she died.

It would be worth it. It looks like fumble will be able to answer some questions. 

That is why you always ask. Like they say in Arkansas,  Regnat Populus.

35 minutes ago, Drizzay said:

Ark Kansas

This.  Why does "Ar" on the front change the second "s" to a "w"?  Maybe they'll have an information booth.  🤔

8 minutes ago, Mookz said:

This.  Why does "Ar" on the front change the second "s" to a "w"?  Maybe they'll have an information booth.  🤔

They do.  It's at the first rest area as you enter the state.  There are actually no bathrooms there.  Just benches and a sign explaining the above.

I have really nothing to add except my one experience in Arkansas- I was driving south and on a 2 lane away close to the Louisiana border. I was driving a van with NY plates and was behind a slower driver in the right lane. Then a car sped passed me on the left. I checked my drivers side rear view mirror and yes there was a car coming but I figured I had plenty of time to overtake the slower driver. 
So as I make my move I realized my mistake. It was a state trooper and he pulled me over. Now we are 2 long hair dudes driving NY registered van. He was not happy- got us out of the van and was screaming at us we ruined his pursuit of the car that sped past me. I said I saw you but I didn’t know you were a cop. (Had a single light and was not on). He said I’m not cop I’m a State Trooper and I suggest you get back in the van and drive the 10 miles to get out of “his” state. He was such an Ahole

17 minutes ago, TommyGavin said:

I have really nothing to add except my one experience in Arkansas- I was driving south and on a 2 lane away close to the Louisiana border. I was driving a van with NY plates and was behind a slower driver in the right lane. Then a car sped passed me on the left. I checked my drivers side rear view mirror and yes there was a car coming but I figured I had plenty of time to overtake the slower driver. 
So as I make my move I realized my mistake. It was a state trooper and he pulled me over. Now we are 2 long hair dudes driving NY registered van. He was not happy- got us out of the van and was screaming at us we ruined his pursuit of the car that sped past me. I said I saw you but I didn’t know you were a cop. (Had a single light and was not on). He said I’m not cop I’m a State Trooper and I suggest you get back in the van and drive the 10 miles to get out of “his” state. He was such an Ahole

Basement and gimp gag

16 minutes ago, TommyGavin said:

It would have been a better story if he had tazed you and then cut off you and your ghey friends hippy hair and sodomized you both before he fed you to the pigs that his cousin raised on his farm around the bend.

Still a cool story, bro.

We were like 20 years old a just finished smoking a joint. I have some good stories. This was not even top 20.  

8 minutes ago, TommyGavin said:

We were like 20 years old a just finished smoking a joint. I have some good stories. This was not even top 20.  

Give me one of the top ten.  I am asking respectfully.

I am dating this chick, and I am realizing, I have no stories that compare.  I think you and many here may and do.  I would love to hear them.  It's my vicarious nature, or the fact that I just lived a sheltered life and didn't realize it until now.

So me and same long haired friend (same van) are out drinking in Fell’s Point (Baltimore) either at Green Turtle or Bertha’s as those were our go to spots. When 2AM came around they were serious about last call. Lights came on, cops we come in and demand you throw away any open containers- boom we out. This dude said he knows a speakeasy not to far away. We follow him and it was literally through a back door. 
Me and buddy gets separated- when we found each other later we both said we hooked up with a waitress and going back to her place. Mother and daughter !!!! I got mom he got daughter. They had matching tattoos on the back of their hands. 
Anyway when we were done we suggested to keep the party going and we switch. They kicked yup out of the place like we were pervs. 
Now we have no clue where we are and how to get back to the van (parked next to old Fuddruckers across from what is now Hard Rock Cafe). Tried flagging down taxis. Standing in middle the street as cops come down just to have them go around us. Couldn’t even get ourselves arrested!!!

Finally found it and slept in the van. Had a good burger the next day. 

I told this story here before. I’m bored. 

11 hours ago, Fumbleweed said:

Kind of. There’s a highway called Scenic 7 (highway 7) that runs throughout the state. You can take it north to Petit Jean State Park and hike to a fantastic waterfall. In Hot Springs, Ohio Club is a great place to eat. Capone, Joe DiMaggio, all sorts of people used to eat there. Oaklawn is there if you like horse racing. Downtown Hot Springs is pretty cool, but you can cover it in an afternoon. 

Appreciate all of this.

Our first major decision is to choose which lake we are staying on. I hope to book a cabin/resort for our stay and we will drive from that resort to our daily activities in Hot Springs, Diamond Crater, etc.

There are 3 obvious choices around Hot Springs.

There is Lake Hamilton which is located in the town of hot springs, this one would be closest to restaurants and would allow us to explore the town easier.

There is Lake Ouachita, which is in the national forest and around 30 minutes west of Hot Springs. Part of this vacation is to get into nature and this lake would allow us to do that the easiest.

There is also Degray Lake which is about 30 minutes south of Hotsprings. It is not in a national forest, which is kind of a bummer, however there seem to be many more resorts on its shore than on Lake Ouachita.

Have you stayed on any of these 3 lakes and/or do you have a recommendation?