Sign in to follow this  
TimmySmith

Saudi Golf Tour

8 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

so in my post that you quoted, I specifically said "miss the cut by 1" because we so often see golfers make the cut on the number and then shoot a 64 or whatever on moving day and find themselves in contention. 

So of course I am just guessing, but I would think traveling to an event and playing so-so golf but maybe feeling like you're turning a corner only to miss the weekend can be annoying. Even more so if it's a lesser event or one you are playing only because of sponsor obligations. 

Then again, maybe its no issue for them considering LIV only has 3 rounds anyway, and i'm sure the bigger draw to no cuts is the guaranteed prize money.

I was simply spit balling. no biggie.

Well what would 1 off the cut be behind by usually? 10 strokes?  So if they are 10 strokes back after 2 days at LIV they need to make up 10 strokes and jump 30 guys in 1 day on Saturday.  

I think pretty much all the guys who jumped over did it for thr money.  And some of the lesser guys for the guarenteed money for even finishing last.  

Not that I blame anyone for going after money. But it is clearly why a vast majority did it.  I think the schedule talk was just a cover.  The big names play when and where they want anyway.  

10 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Well what would 1 off the cut be behind by usually? 10 strokes?  So if they are 10 strokes back after 2 days at LIV they need to make up 10 strokes and jump 30 guys in 1 day on Saturday.  

I think pretty much all the guys who jumped over did it for thr money.  And some of the lesser guys for the guarenteed money for even finishing last.  

Not that I blame anyone for going after money. But it is clearly why a vast majority did it.  I think the schedule talk was just a cover.  The big names play when and where they want anyway.  

Yes, as I said, my talk of just missing the cut on the PGA doesn't translate to LIV because the concept of "moving day" doesn't exist anyway. Although not having to deal with that may have been seen as a plus?

Everyone knows these guys did it for the money. Competition and "free agency" in golf is just that. It's about creating what we see in most every other sport.. and it tends to boil down to $ for pro athletes. 

I would say, if DJ was given 125 million and had to play the same type of schedule he played on the PGA, he still takes the 125 million.... but I do think the schedule is big for them. The trade off from being an independent contractor to contracted is making your own schedule versus the guaranteed $$. But when the events are capped at (soon to be) 14, and each even is only 3 rounds, I doubt it's much different for the bigger names who played the events with the largest purses, events where they had sponsor obligations, and in some cases extra events for fedex cup points because the prize money associated with the Tour Championship was previously huge for them. 

Everything the PGA has/had done for the top players compensation has always been in the form of a bone to chase. Fedex Points, PIP status.

50 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Yeah, sure. I agree 100%.  I wasn't trying to claim that LIVs current star power is greater than the PGA. I guess I was making the point that a lot of people are blasting the LIV roster in comparison to the PGA, but its a brand new league. Who would expect it to have the better top 4 or top 10? ... but I think we would all have to admit it has a far better lineup, 2 events into it's existence, than anyone thought it would 

:thumbsup:

I don't think LIV is one plucking major talent. I wonder how it will go after the Edex Cup final and the slower part of the PGA schedule

1 hour ago, WhiteWonder said:

Yeah, sure. I agree 100%.  I wasn't trying to claim that LIVs current star power is greater than the PGA. I guess I was making the point that a lot of people are blasting the LIV roster in comparison to the PGA, but its a brand new league. Who would expect it to have the better top 4 or top 10? ... but I think we would all have to admit it has a far better lineup, 2 events into it's existence, than anyone thought it would 

Far better and still not very good.  This part should scare the PGA.  Why should a guy fight for his tour card when he can go on the LIV and make tons immediately.  A few of the young guys could totally change the paradigm.

4 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Far better and still not very good.  This part should scare the PGA.  Why should a guy fight for his tour card when he can go on the LIV and make tons immediately.  A few of the young guys could totally change the paradigm.

Or maybe some guys that fall out of the 125. Why go to Q school when you are a name people know?

14 minutes ago, edjr said:

Or maybe some guys that fall out of the 125. Why go to Q school when you are a name people know?

If you are 10th or 20th in Q School, you are still capable of winning tons of money on the LIV.  Why break your back forever? 

NBA should ask Lebron to only be paid when he wins a game / playoff series / title...... (or when he doesn't flop :P)

22 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

If you are 10th or 20th in Q School, you are still capable of winning tons of money on the LIV.  Why break your back forever? 

but will they want you?

1 minute ago, edjr said:

but will they want you?

You won't finish 21 over.  And heck yes, they will take anyone in the PGA track right now just to stick it to the PGA and probably throw you 5M.  But time is short, because someone will do it soon.

Hideki Matsuyama reportedly on his way 

and we havn't even talked about James Piot, 2021 US Am winner, joining LIV when it started. I guess he falls under the category of a "never was" to the haters

Stripping and Prostitution is also easy money, but no one respects you. Same thing here. 

• Haha 1

I was pretty indifferent but, watching KSB biiiitch and moan like a woman makes it more entertaining. I may have to actually watch an event now.

Whoever posted the story about Rory demanding 2 million a tourney 10 focking years ago just to show up nailed the hypocrisy. We know why that dude is piping up as much as he is now. Hilarious, dude is a clown.

2 minutes ago, Reality said:

I was pretty indifferent but, watching KSB biiiitch and moan like a woman makes it more entertaining. I may have to actually watch an event now.

Whoever posted the story about Rory demanding 2 million a tourney 10 focking years ago just to show up nailed the hypocrisy. We know why that dude is piping up as much as he is now. Hilarious, dude is a clown.

We all knew Rory was wh0re, but now he is really cashing in. The more people leave and the more vocal he is, the more he pockets. 

JULY 6: In an interview with the BBC regarding the stalemate between the PGA Tour and LIV that’s become the dominant story in golf, Rory McIlroy took a decidedly more conciliatory tone and even suggested an alternative that up to this point has been a non-starter for PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan and tour officials.

Asked after playing in the JP McManus Pro-Am in Ireland if there should be “peace talks” between the tour and LIV, McIlroy said, “I think so. I think that needs to happen.”

Over the course of the interview, McIlroy noted the obvious: That things have gotten “messy” with LIV Golf hosting two big-money events to date and signing a handful of top-ranked players to contracts with more players rumored to be coming later in the summer. LIV Golf officials revealed last week that they were speeding up the timetable for launching their 14-event league to 2023.

In turn, Monahan and the tour have countered by announcing changes to the PGA Tour schedule, increased prize money in several events and a stronger alliance with the DP World Tour to help sway members who might be entertaining the notion of leaving. However, the tour has remained steadfast in saying players who leave aren’t welcome back, handing out indefinite suspensions for those who have jumped.

“It’s unfortunate, it’s messy, I wish it hadn’t have gotten that messy and in hindsight, I think there were probably steps that were missed that wouldn’t have made it that messy," McIlroy said, suggesting there was a way for LIV Golf—and specifically the Saudi investors backing the effort—to have moved forward, but also co-exist inside pro golf’s current structure rather than attempting to circumvent it.

McIlroy pointed to how in the women’s game, the Saudi-backed Aramco Ladies Series has been launched and is played in addition to events on the Ladies European Tour and LPGA Tour.

"I understand people's reservations with [the Saudi money] but at the same time, if these people are serious about investing billions of dollars into golf, I think ultimately that's a good thing, but it has to be done the right way,” McIlroy said. “I think if they were to invest, having it be invested inside the existing structures. That's the thing I've tried to advocate for over the last few months." —Ryan Herrington

4 hours ago, Alias Detective said:

I think Bubba goes too.  He is a big name with a big game.

With the younger generation players getting better and better, it makes sense for everyone in Bubba’s age range. My question is how many are they going to take? If you’re playing shotgun start, you can only have 72 and you would need to do 4-some for that. 

58 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

With the younger generation players getting better and better, it makes sense for everyone in Bubba’s age range. My question is how many are they going to take? If you’re playing shotgun start, you can only have 72 and you would need to do 4-some for that. 

That was my question because they seemed to say 48 man fields. Now there’s plenty of room to knock off no name guys but at some point, there won’t be any more room and they will have to expand.  They could go from threesomes to foursomes and get to 72 or they could do as much as two groups off each tee. The final round in Portland had the final two threesomes both go off on the 1st tee. 

12 hours ago, Fireballer said:

R&A un-invited Norman to past champions dinner.

The R&A is certainly entitled to do as they wish................but a bad move imo, they're only making LIV and Norman bigger. 

Just now, Cruzer said:

The R&A is certainly entitled to do as they wish................but a bad move imo, they're only making LIV and Norman bigger. 

:lol:

10 hours ago, Reality said:

He's in full blown meltdown. The fact he thinks those guys (especially the ones with tour wins and majors) give two shiits whether he respects them or not is focking hilarious. 

It's July and he's already wrapped up Butt-hurt GOTY. 

1 minute ago, KSB2424 said:

Y’all are going to feel so stupid in three years.  :lol:

Going to feel stupid about something I don't care about? Um, ok. 

7 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

Y’all are going to feel so stupid in three years.  :lol:

Nope. LIV can fold tomorrow. It’s already forced the PGA to make changes and in that regard has been a success. Plus it’s been funny watching so many involved on the PGA side backtrack or cry like babies. 

4 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

Nope. LIV can fold tomorrow. It’s already forced the PGA to make changes and in that regard has been a success. Plus it’s been funny watching so many involved on the PGA side backtrack or cry like babies. 

Right, what is there for us to possibly feel stupid about? Dude is flailing.

Why do y'all hate America and Golf and Competion and Fireworks and Hotdogs?  

LIV Tour?  Really?  That's like rooting for Duke University, OJ Simpson, Osama bin Laden and the Kardashians.  

11 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

Why do y'all hate Competion 

🤔

Me thinks it’s the PGA that hates “competion”

USFL, CFL, XFL, AAFC, starting to run out of vowels.  Wait we didn't use an i.  LIV!@#!  

I'm sure this works out.  :lol:

I have some AMWAY and swamp land in Florida to sell you guys too.  

At least the NFL, MLB, etc pretend to support antitrust laws.  The PGA is really stepping on it's d1ck here.  The rats are going to start jumping off. 

Although KSB can't wrap his head around it... I, like Cruzer, do not support LIV. That said, I'm not going to stick my head in the sand (that SA sand :lol:) and pretend LIV are the big bad bullies ruining golf. 

fact: PGA was once a breakaway tour
fact: PGA doesn't want competition
fact: PGA has already added prize money it claimed it didn't have, in response to LIV

I got in a debate with some random I was paired with last week. He tried to dismiss some of what I was saying by using the old "these rich athletes make enough". Well first of all, I think we all realize the top earning athletes in any sport make a stupid amount of money for playing sports, that's not really the debate. Second, there are plenty of guys on the PGA fighting to make cuts each week or keep their cards. Those dudes don't make millions on sponsorships. He also said I can't compare golf to NBA/MLB/NFL... why not? Why can't there be contracts in golf? You could actually lower prize money across the board if golfers were contracted, especially since these guys are playing for history and prestige according to Jay. 

(ironically the guy was wearing a Norman golf shirt :D) I chose not to point that out.

The PGA could easily squash LIV... AND improve the tour by simply contracting its golfers. I'm not talking about 100-200 million dollar contracts of LIV, I'm talking much smaller contracts. Since the PGA is awesome, the contracts don't need to be ungodly to keep everyone on board..... How do you set market value without the bidding aspect of team sports?... OWR? Prior year Fedex standings? Whatever nonsense they use to measure PIP? A combination of everything? Build into the contracts the number of (non major) events that must be played per year and add something about having to play in 1 or 2 lesser events to help boost the brand across the board.  The golf remains the same.... 4 rounds, cuts, prize pools... but the prize pools can be reduced a bit and the pros who spend every week fighting to make the cut will try just as hard because they want to remain on tour, they just won't have to worry on a weekly basis about earning anything. Those are the PGA equivalent of veterans minimum guys.  The top golfers will try just as hard because they still want to win these prestigious and historical events, they still want the additional prize money, and the FEDEX playoffs would still be a thing.