wiffleball

In Star trek, what is the key to Warp speed?

Not sure what you mean by "key" but if your Dilithium crystals aren't right you ain't hitting Warp.

5 minutes ago, Strike said:

Not sure what you mean by "key" but if your Dilithium crystals aren't right you ain't hitting Warp.

Thank you. Now work with me on this...

Then how the hell did that dude from Babe achieve warp speed here on Earth without any Dilithium crystals? 

5 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Then how the hell did that dude from Babe achieve warp speed here on Earth without any Dilithium crystals? 

What dude from Babe?  I have no idea what you're talking about. 

flux capacitor

Just now, Strike said:

So you're talking about Star Trek: First Contact?  You couldn't have just said that? 

well if I knew the friggin name...

You need a hot tub

What a stupid movie. Like the Vulcans were just walking by and one of them said "hey, that smells like warp speed, call the fellas!"

6 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

well if I knew the friggin name...

Well I got it from looking at the Wikipedia page that you posted for the actor, where it says on the first line that he's known for Star Trek: First Contact.  Wasn't that difficult.  To answer your question, they didn't go in to much technical detail on the engine in that spaceship.  However, it's plausible that in 50-100 years from now, whenever that movie is set time wise, we have either found Dilithium crystals somewhere on Earth or created them, as we've created other alloys and what not. 

1 hour ago, wiffleball said:

What a stupid movie. Like the Vulcans were just walking by and one of them said "hey, that smells like warp speed, call the fellas!"

its more like "uh-oh, these focking barbarians with nukes now also have warp drive so they can show up and nuke our planet.  i guess its time to try to make peace and welcome them in."

1 hour ago, JustinCharge said:

its more like "uh-oh, these focking barbarians with nukes now also have warp drive so they can show up and nuke our planet.  i guess its time to try to make peace and welcome them in."

Iran.

4 hours ago, wiffleball said:

A government program.  Ever hear of Operation Warp Speed?

I don’t think they ever fully explained what the dilithium crystals were for. The warp engines were powered by matter/antimatter reactions. 

They found some dilithium on some moon of Jupiter according to some link I just read.

First the whole crew needs to vaccinated against the covid-19 virus. 

It's free safe and effective.

• Haha 1

It has to do with a warp bubble created around the ship which allows it to travel at speeds faster than light.  Without it and inertial dampeners everyone would die.

I don't understand how it works, I just watch the TV show. I leave the engineering problems to Scotty and Jordi and the 500 years worth of technological advances they are aware of.

I thought it was ironic that the new checkoff could pilot a freaking starship, but got runned over by his own Jeep in his own driveway. 

15 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

First the whole crew needs to vaccinated against the covid-19 virus. 

It's free safe and effective.

Scientists agree that Warp Speed is causing climate change.

5 minutes ago, lickin_starfish said:

Scientists agree that Warp Speed is causing climate change.

There was an episode of star trek where they learned warp speed was tearing the fabric of space/time and promised to only use it in emergencies. And then totally ignored that promise every episode after. Just like all the CC proponents ignore it when they fly in their jets all over the world.

3 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

There was an episode of star trek where they learned warp speed was tearing the fabric of space/time and promised to only use it in emergencies. And then totally ignored that promise every episode after. Just like all the CC proponents ignore it when they fly in their jets all over the world.

Star Trek uses clean energy. John Kerry doesn't.

Looks like John Kerry’s efforts at making the world a greener place on behalf of President Biden come with a big environmental price tag.

Biden’s special envoy for climate has used his family’s private jet to travel the globe in pursuit of pushing a green agenda — while the plane has emitted more than 300 metric tons of carbon dioxide since he assumed the post, according to a new report. 

The jet, a Gulfstream GIV-SP, has made 48 trips lasting more than 60 hours and released an estimated 715,886 pounds — or 325 metric tons — of carbon dioxide since Biden entered the White House in January 2021, Fox News reported, citing data its obtained through flight-tracker FlightAware. 

The jet belongs to a charter company, Flying Squirrel LLC, which is owned by Kerry’s wife, Teresa Heinz-Kerry. 

Kerry owns a more than $1 million stake in the company, the report said. 

For comparison, the Environmental Protection Agency estimates that the typical passenger vehicle emits about 4.6 metric tons of carbon dioxide a year. 

Since becoming the administration’s climate czar, Kerry has circled the globe to attend climate conferences to raise awareness of the climate crisis. 

Kerry, the former secretary of state in the Obama administration who played a crucial role in creating the 2016 Paris Climate Accord, was expected to travel to the Petersberg Climate Dialogue this week in Germany where representatives from 40 governments will gather to discuss reducing emissions. 

Kerry has called for transitioning from fossil fuels to green energy if the world wants to prevent the destruction caused by global warming and has predicted that coal-powered power plants will not exist by 2030. 

“The problem with folks like John Kerry and the climate hypocrites who run the green movement is that they want to use the coercive power of government,” Daniel Turner, the executive director of Power The Future, told Fox News.

“They want to use it internationally with groups like the UN, etc. They want to use the power of government to deny the rest of us the ability to use those fossil fuels that they take for granted,” Turner said.

“They refuse to voluntarily live how they want the rest of us to be forced to live,” he continued. “It doesn’t just make them hypocrites, it makes them, quite frankly, a threat to the rights and freedoms of people around the world. When John Kerry voluntarily lives the way he wants the rest of us to be compelled to live, then we can talk about his climate goals.”

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Cloaca du jour said:

It has to do with a warp bubble created around the ship which allows it to travel at speeds faster than light.  Without it and inertial dampeners everyone would die.

shirley, they will all die anyway, just not at that moment.  but that's not important right now.   /airplane

5 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

shirley, they will all die anyway, just not at that moment.  but that's not important right now.   /airplane

And don't call me Shirley.

i really liked the Strange New World series.  They bring back a lot from the 1960s series.

I thought the title said Warf Speed, cuz that fcker is fast!