nobody

What happened to the Nord Stream Pipelines?

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/qa-what-is-known-so-far-about-nord-stream-gas-pipeline-leaks-2022-09-27/

So two major arteries (Nord Stream 1 and Nord Stream 2) carrying Russian nat gas to Europe are leaking.  

Obviously this is sabotage.  Who did it?

• Russia?
    • Perhaps in an effort to teach Europe a lesson they damaged the pipelines?  Doesn't seem plausible since the threat of removing the supply of gas is more powerful than actually removing it.  Plus, why wouldn't they just turn it off at the source?
  • Europe?
    • They decide to make the decision to go cold turkey on Russian energy and stick it to Russia?  That doesn't seem very plausible since they could simply not buy the resource.  Perhaps they know certain countries would buy under the table?
  • United States?
    • Let's see.  The United States is leader in trying to cut Russia off from the world.  We would also benefit by exporting gas to Europe.  Hmmm.
    • Biden said the US would shut it down

1 minute ago, Baker Boy said:

Biden threatened to do this in February.

And Victoria Nuland doubled down on it.  Not saying we did this, but we said we would, and it happened.  

10 hours ago, Brad GLuckman said:

I dont see why Russia woukd do this. Supplying energy to Europe is a bargaining chip for them. 

Wouldnt denying the energy be a bigger bargaining chip?  Europe is already paying out the ass for LNG and US capability (Hurricane Ian aside) to export is pretty much maxed out

5 minutes ago, patweisers44 said:

Wouldnt denying the energy be a bigger bargaining chip?  Europe is already paying out the ass for LNG and US capability (Hurricane Ian aside) to export is pretty much maxed out

They could just turn stop the flow. Then they put pressure on Europe, and have the option to make a deal with the politicians to turn it back on in exchange for lifting sanctions.

I've got no love for Putin and Russia, and wouldn't put a false flag attack past them, but this seems like something that puts way more hurt on Russia than any possible benefit.

15 minutes ago, Vikings4ever said:

They could just turn stop the flow. Then they put pressure on Europe, and have the option to make a deal with the politicians to turn it back on in exchange for lifting sanctions.

I've got no love for Putin and Russia, and wouldn't put a false flag attack past them, but this seems like something that puts way more hurt on Russia than any possible benefit.

Yeah. Flat out denial of gas flow probably makes more sense.

It doesn't make sense for the US or NATO to do it either.  Now Europe is screwed.  The only thing that makes sense is Russia false flag in an attempt to rachet up the war 

4 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

It doesn't make sense for the US or NATO to do it either.  Now Europe is screwed.  The only thing that makes sense is Russia false flag in an attempt to rachet up the war 

Good for Russia. :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

It absolutely makes sense for the US to do it and blame Russia.

5 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

It absolutely makes sense for the US to do it and blame Russia.

Why?

I know you hate the US and love Russia, but you need to explain your statements

Just now, Shooter McGavin said:

Why?

1. The US can supply NG to Europe making people money here

2. When the idiot Euro trash who voted for their idiot leaders are freezing this winter. They will believe their leaders who blame Russia

3. Cut off a revenue stream into Russia. Thereby hurting Russia.

4. Blame Russia and the idiots here will clap and say Putin man bad more money to Ukraine

These are just off the top of my head. 

Just now, Cdub100 said:

1. The US can supply NG to Europe making people money here

2. When the idiot Euro trash who voted for their idiot leaders are freezing this winter. They will believe their leaders who blame Russia

3. Cut off a revenue stream into Russia. Thereby hurting Russia.

4. Blame Russia and the idiots here will clap and say Putin man bad more money to Ukraine

These are just off the top of my head. 

Russia was not supplying gas anyway, so 1-3 could have been done without blowing up the pipe.  And everyone already thinks Putin bad, this isn't changing opinions.

Try again

2 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Russia was not supplying gas anyway, so 1-3 could have been done without blowing up the pipe.  And everyone already thinks Putin bad, this isn't changing opinions.

Try again

I forgot you fall into #4. Carry on!

2 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Go suck some more Putin c0ck

PUTIN MAN BAD :clap:Say the line again!

47 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

PUTIN MAN BAD :clap:Say the line again!

Wait, are you saying Putins not a bad guy?  I fully understand not wanting to send money to Ukraine, but I think we can not send them money while also acknowledging Putin is a bad guy.

7 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

4 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Try again

If Russia was not supplying gas, why is Europe screwed?

4 hours ago, nobody said:

If Russia was not supplying gas, why is Europe screwed?

Because we're approaching winter, and it gets cold, and they need heat, and they used Russian gas.  See they burn the gas to create heat, to stay warm.

I suppose there was always a possibility that an agreement could be reached so Russia could turn the gas back on, but with a busted pipeline I imagine thats off the table.

Can the US supply their gas demand?  I don't know, I wouldnt think so.  If we could then why aren't we?  Surely emea was not going to choose Russian gas over us gas, all things equal, so blowing up the pipe does nothing to help us in that area.

Honestly I don't really see a benefit for anyone.  Maybe it was an environmental group.  Maybe some douche with an m80 just being an .

But it's funny to watch people with crazy agendas using this incident as an example to further their agendas.

• Confused 1

Well, Biden said he would end it if Putin invaded Ukraine. Kinda makes sense, seeing as that idiot let them have it in the first place. Alas, we will probably never know. 

20 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Well, Biden said he would end it if Putin invaded Ukraine. Kinda makes sense, seeing as that idiot let them have it in the first place. Alas, we will probably never know. 

He was talking about Nordstrom 2, which was started in 2011, under Obama, whom you voted for, and constructed under trump, whom you voted for.

Nordstream 2 was never operational.

41 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

He was talking about Nordstrom 2, which was started in 2011, under Obama, whom you voted for, and constructed under trump, whom you voted for.

Nordstream 2 was never operational.

He lifted the sanctions that Trump had put on them. 

50 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

He lifted the sanctions that Trump had put on them. 

Rightfully so, because we shouldn't be meddling with other countries so much, which is one of the things Trump said that I supported, that we ended up backpedaling on.

Sanctions were slapped back on after the invasion, and the pipeline was useless.

13 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Rightfully so, because we shouldn't be meddling with other countries so much, which is one of the things Trump said that I supported, that we ended up backpedaling on.

Sanctions were slapped back on after the invasion, and the pipeline was useless.

Yeah but it’s funny you left that part out.  I wonder why? 

Did you guys both nord stream 1 and nord stream 2 were disabled?  1 was active.  2 was inactive over red tape.  I don't know why we are only focusing on 2.  It obviously was sabotaged to prevent it from becoming active.

10 minutes ago, nobody said:

Did you guys both nord stream 1 and nord stream 2 were disabled?  1 was active.  2 was inactive over red tape.  I don't know why we are only focusing on 2.  It obviously was sabotaged to prevent it from becoming active.

I’m just saying that when Gutterboy was giving his explanation of the history of it he left out some very important facts. Just wondering why?

24 minutes ago, nobody said:

It wasn't active

Russia has been reducing gas supplies through Nord Stream 1 for a number of months.

In June, it cut deliveries through the pipeline by 75% - from 170m cubic metres of gas a day to roughly 40m cubic metres.

In July, Russia shut it down for 10 days, citing the need for maintenance. When it reopened, the flow was halved to 20m cubic metres a day.

In late August, it shut down Nord Stream 1 entirely, blaming problems with equipment.

The pipeline has not been open since then.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60131520

14 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I’m just saying that when Gutterboy was giving his explanation of the history of it he left out some very important facts. Just wondering why?

You said Biden let them have the pipeline, I was correcting you that Obama and Trump let them have it too.  You voted for these people.

Why cares who let them have the pipeline, we're trying to figure out who sabotaged it.  What trump and Obama did is irrelevant to this.  Biden did say he wouldn't allow it.  That seems relevant though.

I still don't get why Russia would blow up its own pipeline if they already shut it off.  Would it be to remove a potential safety net so Europe pees it's pants?  Seems like this hurts Europe.  It hurts Russia.  And the US gets closer to what it wants... No one buying anything from Russia.

This doesn't even seem that complicated.  

7 minutes ago, nobody said:

Why cares who let them have the pipeline, we're trying to figure out who sabotaged it.  What trump and Obama did is irrelevant to this.  Biden did say he wouldn't allow it.  That seems relevant though.

I still don't get why Russia would blow up its own pipeline if they already shut it off.  Would it be to remove a potential safety net so Europe pees it's pants?  Seems like this hurts Europe.  It hurts Russia.  And the US gets closer to what it wants... No one buying anything from Russia.

This doesn't even seem that complicated.  

agree, it's irrelevant.

Biden said he would stop it, and he did via sanctions.  I don't get why he would want to destroy it.  There really is no good answer on why anyone would want to destroy it.

I only posited Russia because they are getting desperate in their war with Ukraine and Putin is a bit unhinged.  Maybe they are trying to gain some sentiment.

As far as your intention that this helps the US because no one is buying anything from Russia, well this helps the world, and no one was buying gas via this pipeline anyway, so what's the point.

32 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

You said Biden let them have the pipeline, I was correcting you that Obama and Trump let them have it too.  You voted for these people.

Yeah, but you still left important facts out. You continuously prove you’re dishonest.  Outright lies you have been busted in only tells some of the tale. Grow up. 

Maybe they were simply poorly constructed and they failed.  We have seen that their tanks and military trucks are far less well-constructed than we thought.  Maybe these were as well.  Perhaps the boogieman has less capability than we imagine.

Or maybe it was internal sabotage by Russian opposition to Putin.

Maybe, maybe, maybe.  I will not hold my breath on definitive answers from government.