Sign in to follow this  
GoonCrew

DHop?

What is everyone's take on DHop once back from suspension. I'll admit I'm a Cardinals fan, so trying to get some unbiased opinions. Full point PPR scoring.

He is still a couple weeks away from return but I'm thinking about trying to pry him away. I would probably have to part with my #3 RB, Dobbins or Damion Pierce (Mixon is my #1).

This year, it seems WR are ruling the roost in scoring. Just wanted to get some outside opinions

32 minutes ago, GoonCrew said:

What is everyone's take on DHop once back from suspension. I'll admit I'm a Cardinals fan, so trying to get some unbiased opinions. Full point PPR scoring.

He is still a couple weeks away from return but I'm thinking about trying to pry him away. I would probably have to part with my #3 RB, Dobbins or Damion Pierce (Mixon is my #1).

This year, it seems WR are ruling the roost in scoring. Just wanted to get some outside opinions

Well, the offense hasnt quite been the same without him.

I think his presence will open the offense up as there is one more big play threat than they had before.

Hopkins will largely be an afterthought--another AJ Green to get 3 catches and 40 yards per game.  Marquise Brown is now the alpha.

58 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Hopkins will largely be an afterthought--another AJ Green to get 3 catches and 40 yards per game.  Marquise Brown is now the alpha.

you may be right.

but based on what this guy did prior to Browns arrival, teams will probably be a little scared of what he can do.

only time will tell.   I do definitely think hes at a point in his career where the arrow is pointing down.  what we dont know is whether its gonna be a gradual decline or a steep one.

I wouldn't be touching him, and I cannot understand why anyone would have drafted him to sit him on their bench for 6 weeks either.

14 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

you may be right.

but based on what this guy did prior to Browns arrival, teams will probably be a little scared of what he can do.

only time will tell.   I do definitely think hes at a point in his career where the arrow is pointing down.  what we dont know is whether its gonna be a gradual decline or a steep one.

We do know his targets dropped off last year, and now there's another dog in town. I think the answer is pretty clear what's going to happen.

50 minutes ago, SexyRexy said:

I wouldn't be touching him, and I cannot understand why anyone would have drafted him to sit him on their bench for 6 weeks either.

that is another matter.

he went for less than I would have expected in my auction, but in some drafts I've seen him go for more than I would have expected.

bottom line, with games missed, you are getting a half season.   You should not pay full price for a half season player even if you think hes gonna be all that and a bowl of chips.

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

I do definitely think hes at a point in his career where the arrow is pointing down.

That started last year, when he had double-digit targets only once, topped 80 yards only twice, and never topped 90 yards in any of the 10 games he played.  If he doesn't get the red zone work that he got last year, he won't be fantasy relevant in any but the deepest leagues this year.

1 hour ago, SexyRexy said:

Interesting. Well not to make excuses Haha. I was away from ffb for a couple of years. I thought as a 11th round pick, it was good. 

So in your opinion, for instance, Woods (Tenn) and Mattison are both on waivers. Either better?

We start 2 WR and a flex. .5 ppr. I have Allen, Cooks, D. Johnson, Gallup, Olave and Thomas. 

Is there a bench sleeper you like better? 

Own him on two ppr teams, I’m looking forward to seeing what he has left.  

He didn’t look good last season, but I’m pretty sure he hurt with nagging injuries last season before missing the rest of the season.  I dropped JuJu on both leagues to pick up Hopkins.  

M Brown has been good, but I see plenty of work for a player like Hopkins, he’s no A Green 

2 hours ago, gridirongoofs said:

Interesting. Well not to make excuses Haha. I was away from ffb for a couple of years. I thought as a 11th round pick, it was good.

11th round is fine.

there are some who paid a far higher price for  the guy.   those are the people who will regret drafting him.

at the price you paid, if he does what he did in the past, you win.  if he doesnt, you just drop him.  no big deal

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

nagging injuries

when players start getting old, these nagging injuries seem to become more numerous.   its not usually a decline in skill that gets them. its injury and in some cases an inability to play through the injury.

Dslop is getting old and tired wouldn't expect big production 

That said he's better then my aiyuk 

2 hours ago, gridirongoofs said:

So in your opinion, for instance, Woods (Tenn) and Mattison are both on waivers. Either better?

We start 2 WR and a flex. .5 ppr. I have Allen, Cooks, D. Johnson, Gallup, Olave and Thomas. 

Is there a bench sleeper you like better? 

honestly if choosing between those three I'd still take my chances with Hopkins.

Mattison is really only good if Cook gets hurt.   he will also be good if he gets traded somewhere, but thats unlikely to happen.

Woods is hit or miss this year.  still coming back from an ACL tear I believe.   so probably a solid  bounceback candidate next year  he will be 31 next year.  not over the hill but not a guaranteed money player at that age.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gcmmidwest said:

That said he's better then my aiyuk 

aiyuk will be fine. just give him a couple games to re establish the connection with Jimmy G

5 hours ago, SexyRexy said:

We do know his targets dropped off last year, and now there's another dog in town. I think the answer is pretty clear what's going to happen.

I'm not making predictions here, but Brown & Hopkins are polar opposites when it comes to WR's. Brown is more of a gadget guy (5' 9"/170 lbs)

He played in all 16 games last year & scored 6 TD's. Hopkins is 6' 1"/212 lbs & scored 8 TD's in 9 games. If he comes back healthy, he's the one they'll look to in the red zone.

You're right when you say Brown is the lead dog in Arizona right now. He's number 1, & 2nd place isn't even close. Will be interesting to watch how it plays out. 

Agreed. Hopkins will be a red zone target for Murray , who does seem to perform better with Hopkins. 

I would take Hopkins over Aiyuk, it was D Samuel that Jimmy G hooked up with last season, and it showed in their last game.  

I like Aiyuk more if Lance was the Qb.  

1 hour ago, easilyscan said:

[Marquise Brown] played in all 16 games last year & scored 6 TD's.

Yeah, with Lamar Jackson at QB, but Brown's old college QB seems delighted to be throwing to his favorite college target again--and he currently has 5 red zone targets and 2 TDs in 4 games.  I wouldn't be so sure that Hopkins is going to be the apple of Murray's eye in the red zone any more.

Hopkins will get red zone work and- unlike last year- he will have an actual legitimate receiver threat on the opposite side of him. It should open up more opportunity for him. I think you get a lot of 6 catch, 80 yard, 1 touchdown weeks. 

• Like 1

I’ve got him in one league in case he ends up being worthwhile. But yeah, last year wasn’t great

I have Hollywood, with DHop sitting in my bench.  I don’t think Hollywood’s value is going to drop very much come week 7, but I do think DHop’s value will be hit bc of Hollywood’s presence.  In other words, I will be aggressively selling DHop next week to anyone who thinks they will still be getting AZ’s #1 WR…

51 minutes ago, RedzoneMonster said:

I have Hollywood, with DHop sitting in my bench.  I don’t think Hollywood’s value is going to drop very much come week 7, but I do think DHop’s value will be hit bc of Hollywood’s presence.  In other words, I will be aggressively selling DHop next week to anyone who thinks they will still be getting AZ’s #1 WR…

honestly Brown has a bit of a different skillset.  hes a speedy WR who is small.   he can sometimes be jammed at the line.

Hopkins is quick but at this point in his career, likely not nearly as fast as hollywood.  but hes big and physical and has a large catch radius.   nobody is gonna outjump him on a jump ball and hes hard to jam because of his physicality.

so in the red zone hopkins is the man.  in his prime, there was nobody better, but hes still very good at what he does here.   but Brown and his speed can take the top off a defense and I think that each of these players is a presence that will make the other better.

Brown will lose some red zone targets once Hopkins returns, but that was never his game so I dont see a huge dropoff for Hollywood.   and I dont know that he was ever truly an Alpha #1 WR.   hes maybe the best #2 WR in the NFL or a meh #1.   

Last season Hopkins was a mid wr2,  i own on two ppr teams, based on when I drafted him a wr3 would be great.  

10 hours ago, weepaws said:

Last season Hopkins was a mid wr2,  i own on two ppr teams, based on when I drafted him a wr3 would be great.  

yeah, at that price, the possible upside is worth the risk

14 hours ago, Ray_T said:

honestly Brown has a bit of a different skillset.  hes a speedy WR who is small.   he can sometimes be jammed at the line.

Hopkins is quick but at this point in his career, likely not nearly as fast as hollywood.  but hes big and physical and has a large catch radius.   nobody is gonna outjump him on a jump ball and hes hard to jam because of his physicality.

so in the red zone hopkins is the man.  in his prime, there was nobody better, but hes still very good at what he does here.   but Brown and his speed can take the top off a defense and I think that each of these players is a presence that will make the other better.

Brown will lose some red zone targets once Hopkins returns, but that was never his game so I dont see a huge dropoff for Hollywood.   and I dont know that he was ever truly an Alpha #1 WR.   hes maybe the best #2 WR in the NFL or a meh #1.   

I agree 

Don't like to see anyone get hurt, but with the Cardinals at 2-4 & desperate for a win, we might see more of DHop than we were expecting this Thursday night.

The downside is that while he might be in great shape, he's not in football shape.

Marquise Brown (foot) left Arizona's locker room with a boot on his left foot.

He told reporters that x-rays were negative, but he was walking with a noticeable limp. The Cardinals will do more tests on Monday. Kliff Kingsbury said that he hadn't heard about the severity of Brown's injury when asked post-game. Based on how the severity of the injury has been described so far, it seems fairly likely Brown will not suit up for Week 7 on Thursday night. He may or may not be out even longer depending on the further testing on Monday. 

Oct 16, 2022, 8:03 PM ET

Even with Brown I still lik Hopkins to be a very important red zone target for Murray.  

As a DHop drafter, am feeling pretty good right now, both about last night & moving forward. He looks like a every week WR2 & a many-weeks WR1.  ROS schedule is a mixed-bag…but so it is with other top-20 WR’s.  He’s a nice start & has great trade-potential.  

Any additional thoughts or opposing viewpoints?

• Like 1

I picked up DHop a few weeks back for a stash...  glad I did.  Murray will use him.

I don't expect monster numbers but he will be a solid Fantasy receiver second half of the year.

I am stacked with RBs...    needed a little help at WR.

Drafted him on two ppr teams, started him in my flex on both teams , he had a fantastic game,  and he’s going to be Murray top target , and top playmaker the rest of the season, if he stays healthy. 

Congrats to those that indeed played him last night.  

Very pleased with his results last night. Full disclosure: Unfortunately, I also started R. Moore. 31 yard catch on the Cardinals second play & then basically vanished.

league winner.

On 10/5/2022 at 3:06 PM, AxeElf said:

Hopkins will largely be an afterthought--another AJ Green to get 3 catches and 40 yards per game. 

Close, 14 targets, 10 rec 100+ yards in a game with a negative script... I guess he could throw blanks for the next 2 games to fit your take though.

1 hour ago, rallo said:

Close, 14 targets, 10 rec 100+ yards in a game with a negative script... I guess he could throw blanks for the next 2 games to fit your take though.

I was pretty impressed with how good the timing was between Hopkins and Murray right off the bat.  There are QB/WR combos that have been together since preseason who didn't look as sharp as Murray to Hopkins last night.  It sure didn't look like three days of practice--was it permissible for Hopkins and Murray to work out together privately?  Because that's sure what it looked like had been happening.

That was Hopkins' best game since 2020.  Maybe it was just a case of the Saints not thinking they would be using Hopkins all that much either, or maybe it was a case of Lattimore being out, or maybe Hopkins is just back; we'll see if he can keep it up.  Sure looks like a WR1 right now though.  It would be nice to own all the WR1s, but having four top 10 WRs in my PPR league already, I'll leave a few for others.

Gotta thank Hollywood for having the decency to get hurt, though, and not letting me start him for a 2/20 night or something.

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

I was pretty impressed with how good the timing was between Hopkins and Murray right off the bat.  There are QB/WR combos that have been together since preseason who didn't look as sharp as Murray to Hopkins last night.  It sure didn't look like three days of practice--was it permissible for Hopkins and Murray to work out together privately?  Because that's sure what it looked like had been happening.

That was Hopkins' best game since 2020.  Maybe it was just a case of the Saints not thinking they would be using Hopkins all that much either, or maybe it was a case of Lattimore being out, or maybe Hopkins is just back; we'll see if he can keep it up.  Sure looks like a WR1 right now though.  It would be nice to own all the WR1s, but having four top 10 WRs in my PPR league already, I'll leave a few for others.

Gotta thank Hollywood for having the decency to get hurt, though, and not letting me start him for a 2/20 night or something.

Hollywood being hurt definitely helps, but do you think the cardinals were going to continue to run the passing game through a 5'9" WR with great speed, but below average hands? It felt like he was always destined to be a solid WR2... although ARI loves vertically challenged position players.