Sign in to follow this  
craftsman

Flyers' Ivan Provorov labeled 'homophobic' as he faces backlash for boycotting team's Pride festivities

People are sick. This guy doesn't do anything except for not taking part. He doesn't come out and speak against it, he doesn't put anyone down for their beliefs, he just lives his life true to his own beliefs without pushing it on others. And all the liberals demand conformity to the way they think. Or else they will gang up on the guy and try to make life hard for him.

This stuff is out of hand. At least the coach kept his head about him. 

Provorov cited his religious beliefs for boycotting the festivities

Philadelphia Flyers defenseman Ivan Provorov faced backlash for his decision to boycott the organization’s Pride night to support the LGBTQ+ community.

Provorov didn’t participate in pregame warmups when the team wore Pride-themed jerseys and used sticks wrapped in rainbow Pride tape. He cited his Russian Orthodox religion as the reason why he didn’t participate. He eventually played in the game against the Anaheim Ducks.

"I respect everybody and I respect everybody’s choices," he told reporters after the game. "My choice is to stay true to myself and my religion. That’s all I’m going to say."

The Russia native, who is in his seventh season with the Flyers, received backlash on social media for the boycott.

Flyers coach John Tortorella explained the situation after the game.

"I think the organization has sent out a release regarding the beliefs that we have," he said, via Philly Hockey Now. "It was really a great night. With Provy, he is being true to himself and to his religion. This has to do with his beliefs and his religion. That is one thing I respect about Provy, he is always true to himself, so that’s where we’re at with that."

Tortorella thought it would be "unfair" to bench him for his beliefs.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/flyers-ivan-provorov-labeled-homophobic-faces-backlash-boycotting-teams-pride-fetivities

It’s his right to refuse to participate. It’s the fans’ right to criticize him for it. And the team behaved properly in not punishing him at all. 

You seem to want to be outraged by this. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, The Real timschochet said:

It’s his right to refuse to participate. It’s the fans’ right to criticize him for it. And the team behaved properly in not punishing him at all. 

You seem to want to be outraged by this. 

I'm not outraged. I'm pointing out who the intolerant ones are in this country. It usually all starts and ends with the liberal collective. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Better than kneeling. He did the right thing. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Better than kneeling. He did the right thing. 

Great point. No showmanship. He respects people so much he doesn't want to create a scene on their night and make it all about himself. But he has enough self respect to do what he thinks is right for himself. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, craftsman said:

I'm not outraged. I'm pointing out who are the intolerant ones are in this country. It usually all starts and ends with the liberal collective. 

There’s a fine line. It’s wrong to be intolerant of a person’s religious beliefs. But it’s right to be intolerant of bigotry against LGBT or anyone else. 

Personally I’m glad we’ve reached a point in our society where anytime someone suggests an anti gay attitude it’s treated with criticism. That means that woke is doing its proper job. Good says I. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, The Real timschochet said:

There’s a fine line. It’s wrong to be intolerant of a person’s religious beliefs. But it’s right to be intolerant of bigotry against LGBT or anyone else. 

Personally I’m glad we’ve reached a point in our society where anytime someone suggests an anti gay attitude it’s treated with criticism. That means that woke is doing its proper job. Good says I. 

Hopefully woke will be a thing of the past sooner rather than later. It really is infringing on people's daily lives. People who push it should be ignored completely. I have a woke nephew who is very pushy with it. When he feels the need to point woke things out, I simply say I'm against it and dismiss myself and go talk to someone else. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

They fact you think it's okay to attack someone because they don't want to participate in a life style you agree with says a lot about the liberal mindset.

He didn't do anything wrong just chose to not participate in honoring a life style he doesn't agree with. 

FYI that makes you the bad guy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

The posts on Twitter above are very intolerant of ones own personal choices.  It is very ironic and hypocritical.

This new Tim guy from footballguys is off the mark like always.  

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

Nothing he did was bigoted or anti gay.  The fact that you think it was is everything wrong with the woke in this country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, craftsman said:

Hopefully woke will be a thing of the past sooner rather than later. It really is infringing on people's daily lives. People who push it should be ignored completely. I have a woke nephew who is very pushy with it. When he feels the need to point woke things out, I simply say I'm against it and dismiss myself and go talk to someone else. 

As I’ve written before, woke is the future. It will win out over your children if not you. And while there are aspects of it that even I don’t like or find very silly, overall it’s a great thing. 

It’s also not new at all. The terminology may be new, but we’ve been moving on the same path towards acceptance of others since this nations beginnings. There’s been bumps along the way, and conservative types always object, but always- always- we ultimately move forward. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Literally nobody gives AF about the Flyers at all except a handful of fat drunk guys in South Philly.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

They fact you think it's okay to attack someone because they don't want to participate in a life style you agree with says a lot about the liberal mindset.

He didn't do anything wrong just chose to not participate in honoring a life style he doesn't agree with. 

I don’t think it’s OK to “attack” anyone, whatever that means. I think it’s fine to criticize. 

• Like 1

Imagine the Russian players started kneeling in protest of the funding of the war in Ukraine? Liberals and the press would not be sympathetic and their blatant hypocrisy wouldn’t stop them from going full blast on those cis white males. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

It is right on brand for this Tim guy and any typical lefty.  Out one side of their mouth say everyones personal lifestyle and choices is their own and we shouldn't ridicule people for being different.  Out the other side they say people shoukd be ridiculed if they do not conform.  

It is a bizarre way of doing things but I am not shocked that this Tim fellow thinks this way.

3 minutes ago, Strike said:

Nothing he did was bigoted or anti gay.  The fact that you think it was is everything wrong with the woke in this country.

I’ll say it again. These people on the left are no longer Americans. They just live here. Residents. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Strike said:

I never asserted that he did anything bigoted or anti gay. Again you have a reading comprehension problem. This may be why your analysis skills are so poor. 

I don’t think he should have been criticized, I don’t think he did anything wrong. But the fact that he was criticized is not a bad thing it’s a good thing. It suggests that intolerance for any kind of PERCEIVED lack of acceptance for LGBT is increasing in our society. That’s what I want to see happen. 

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I’ll say it again. These people on the left are no longer Americans. They just live here. Residents. 

Say it as many times as you want. It’s ironic that you’re making a very un-American statement here. 

Wait until the Muslims start pushing back on the LGBTQ garbage out in the open.    That’s going to be funny. 

1 minute ago, The Real timschochet said:

I never asserted that he did anything bigoted or anti gay. Again you have a reading comprehension problem. This may be why your analysis skills are so poor. 

I don’t think he should have been criticized, I don’t think he did anything wrong. But the fact that he was criticized is not a bad thing it’s a good thing. It suggests that intolerance for any kind of PERCEIVED lack of acceptance for LGBT is increasing in our society. That’s what I want to see happen. 

This is the post I responded to:

IF you didn't think he did anything bigoted or anti gay then you should have either 1) not mentioned those terms in your post or 2) clarified that you weren't speaking to this specific incident.  But the notion that I'm misreading this post, in a thread about a specific incident, is idiotic.  But expected from you.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

Just now, The Real timschochet said:

Say it as many times as you want. It’s ironic that you’re making a very un-American statement here. 

“All enemies, foreign and domestic”.  They knew about you and your kind a long time ago.  

• Thanks 2

He stayed in the locker room. If he had gone out there and showed his defiance while the ceremony or whatever was taking place then I would say that’s wrong. We are in a place where someone is being criticized for not doing something ? Not participating? He didn’t make a show of it like that crybaby Kaepernick.  He just doesn’t want to wear the ribbon.  

I find it bizarre anyone could think this woke culture is going to continue. They went too far with the T. They’ve lost everyone but the absolute biggest lunatics. 
These are the the people who were/are losers now trying to get attention. I’ll let you in on a little secret, they’re still losers and even weirder now. 

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

He stayed in the locker room. If he had gone out there and showed his defiance while the ceremony or whatever was taking place then I would say that’s wrong. We are in a place where someone is being criticized for not doing something ? Not participating? He didn’t make a show of it like that crybaby Kaepernick.  He just doesn’t want to wear the ribbon.  

He should have gone out during the “ceremony?” and did snow angels on the ice to honor all the snowflakes. 

• Haha 4

25 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

I don’t think it’s OK to “attack” anyone, whatever that means. I think it’s fine to criticize. 

You do but chose different words to hide behind what you're actually doing.

28 minutes ago, MDC said:

Literally nobody gives AF about the Flyers at all except a handful of fat drunk guys in South Philly.

I didn't realize you were such a big fan. 

4 minutes ago, craftsman said:

I didn't realize you were such a big fan. 

Everyone knows I live in Fishtown. :bandana: 

1 hour ago, avoiding injuries said:

The story should be about the players who participated, not the only sane one. 

And you've got to wonder how many of the players felt uncomfortable doing this, and just participated so as not to rock the boat. I bet most of them.

2 minutes ago, Thornton Melon said:

And you've got to wonder how many of the players felt uncomfortable doing this, and just participated so as not to rock the boat. I bet most of them.

Oh yeah, for sure.  It's like watching the NFL.  When the CK stuff hit, the NFL allowed players to put anything they wanted on the back of their helmets, and pretty much all of them put some SJW/Woke statement like "end racism."  Now, a few years later you see a few of those but the vast majority of the players just have their team name or something agnostic back there.

I was pretty much okay with things until I saw that they're going to change their name to the Philadelphia Flamers.  🌈👨‍❤️‍👨🏒

7 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

I always thought the NHL would be the last to go ghey

It's been only a few years now since a some guys came out and said they were sexually abused by gay coaches when they were young. Can't even imagine how many didn't come out because of embarrassment or whatever other mental causes kept/keep them from saying anything.

People like to blame religions, but the abusers are in all walks of life. The one thing they all have in common is that they are gay. It's sad really that others are so intolerant of a person who is simply against it and choose not to take part in celebrating it.

10 minutes ago, craftsman said:

It's been only a few years now since a some guys came out and said they were sexually abused by gay coaches when they were young. Can't even imagine how many didn't come out because of embarrassment or whatever other mental causes kept/keep them from saying anything.

People like to blame religions, but the abusers are in all walks of life. The one thing they all have in common is that they are gay. It's sad really that others are so intolerant of a person who is simply against it and choose not to take part in celebrating it.

Sorry, all abusers are not gay. Plenty of little girls get abused. 

15 minutes ago, craftsman said:

I really loved your first paragraph and I was ready to compliment you and be in complete agreement for once. I also agree with the first sentence of your second paragraph. Then you had to ruin it by stating that all abusers are gay. Perhaps you misspoke? Or I misunderstood? Surely you’re not this much of an ignorant bigot? Please tell me I misunderstood you. 

6 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Sorry, all abusers are not gay. Plenty of little girls get abused. 

I was talking about this topic in this thread. But of course there are male pedos that go after girls. That doctor for the Olympic Gymnastic Team is a good example.