Sign in to follow this  
The Real timschochet

DeSantis and his stupid laws

2 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I don't know this, I only think this... but my guess is that if black people were never brought over here as slaves, our black population would be around 1%... maybe less.

The real tragedy is that African-Americans have been kept down and are so oppressed, they are the wealthiest of all Africans.  There are more millionaire African-decendants in the US than the rest of the world combined.  Talk about oppression. 

4 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

beat the paywall: https://archive.is/A2Lzu

I gotta get to Florida to be a part of this.

4 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

Your linked article is light on specifics, just making broad assertions.  The one specific it cited is the following:

may not suppress or distort significant historical events or include a curriculum that teaches identity politics, such as Critical Race Theory, or defines American history as contrary to the creation of a new nation based on universal principles stated in the Declaration of Independence

I see no issue with the above.  Why do you hate America?

Republicans are scared of books and of people discussing ideas. History has shown, time after time, that attempting to suppress thought and discourse in such ways inevitably fails. 

3 minutes ago, Strike said:

Your linked article is light on specifics, just making broad assertions.  The one specific it cited is the following:

I see no issue with the above.  Why do you hate America?

or you could just read the bill

7 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Amazing and awesome

If the description in Time Magazine is accurate this bill is a disaster to academic freedom. But if that’s what the good people of Florida want, then so be it As Obama said elections have consequences. 

7 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

or you could just read the bill

1)  You keep posting Twitter links.  Don't be @squistion.   If you want me to read a bill, post a link to the bill.

2)  This is a draft.   Final bills are often significantly different than first drafts, especially when they include crazy stuff.

3) Doesn't this just apply to public colleges?  Anyone who doesn't like it can just go to a private college.

4)  Make a point.  Obviously, trying to surmise your point doesn't work since you bit my head off the last time I thought it was pretty obvious what your point was.  Posting links without stating a point is poosey passive aggressive crap. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dogcows said:

Republicans are scared of books and of people discussing ideas. History has shown, time after time, that attempting to suppress thought and discourse in such ways inevitably fails. 

And yet with all that suppression you were still able to gain knowledge of all the stupid things you have. You shall overcome. 

2 minutes ago, Strike said:

1)  You keep posting Twitter links.  Don't be @squistion.   If you want me to read a bill, post a link to the bill.

2)  This is a draft.   Final bills are often significantly different than first drafts, especially when they include crazy stuff.

3) Doesn't this just apply to public colleges?  Anyone who doesn't like it can just go to a private college.

4)  Make a point.  Obviously, trying to surmise your point doesn't work since you bit my head off the last time I thought it was pretty obvious what your point was.  Posting links without stating a point is poosey passive aggressive crap. 

With regard to point #3, per the Time article, the bill cancels funding for private schools as well as public. Most private universities receive some kind of public funding. 

If I read the article right the bill also bans private funding for the programs it’s trying to eliminate- if true it seems to me that it might be unconstitutional. But I don’t know. 

Just now, The Real timschochet said:

With regard to point #3, per the Time article, the bill cancels funding for private schools as well as public. Most private universities receive some kind of public funding. 

If I read the article right the bill also bans private funding for the programs it’s trying to eliminate- if true it seems to me that it might be unconstitutional. But I don’t know. 

See my point #2. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

And yet with all that suppression you were still able to gain knowledge of all the stupid things you have. You shall overcome. 

We shall. Life will go on; students who want freedom in education will have to go to states other than Florida. But this is not a good thing. 

10 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

If the description in Time Magazine is accurate this bill is a disaster to academic freedom. But if that’s what the good people of Florida want, then so be it As Obama said elections have consequences. 

Part of making college more affordable and have purpose is getting rid of useless garbage

gender studies is a great start

• Like 2

If its OK for Stanford to take out Western Civ, then its OK for Florida to take out the trash.

1 minute ago, The Real timschochet said:

We shall. Life will go on; students who want freedom in education will have to go to states other than Florida. But this is not a good thing. 

Yeah I know it’s we shall. It’s a play on words, dope. 

1 minute ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Part of making college more affordable and have purpose is getting rid of useless garbage

gender studies is a great start

I don’t agree with you but if this bill only removed gender studies I don’t think it would receive the response it’s going to receive. The bill is very draconic regarding many subjects. 

5 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

If its OK for Stanford to take out Western Civ, then its OK for Florida to take out the trash.

Stanford removed Western Civ back in 2016 as a requirement for freshman curriculum. They didn’t eliminate the course. 

This law actually bans courses from being taught. I don’t think you’re making a valid comparison. 

• Like 1

Plan:

• Move to the reddest part of Florida
  • Have normal kids
  • pay in-state tuition for Florida college
  • have normal grandkids
  • rinse 
  • repeat

• Thanks 3

University of North Carolina had gotten rid of diversity in hiring requirements.  The tide is turning.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Plan:

• Move to the reddest part of Florida
  • Have normal kids
  • pay in-state tuition for Florida college
  • have normal grandkids
  • rinse 
  • repeat

It won’t work. Your children and grandchildren will be woke no matter how much you try and hide them from the world. Same for the state of Florida. There is an inevitability to freedom, acceptance, and human dignity,  You can try to slow it down but you can’t stop it. 

“The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.”

7 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

University of North Carolina had gotten rid of diversity in hiring requirements.  The tide is turning.  

UNC also played some solid defense in keeping Nikole Hannah-Jones from getting tenured, and in doing so, frustrated her enough to go off to spread her poison at Howard University instead. Pity the poor Howard University students, but a huge win for the Tarheels, that's the academic equivalent of beating Kentucky for a March Madness championship.

1 minute ago, Dizkneelande said:

“The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.”

Correct. Nobody is challenging they have the right to do this (though I have some doubts about trying to restrict private funding.) The question is whether it’s a good idea. I think it clearly isn’t. And it’s likely to hurt Florida in many ways unforeseen, including economic. 

5 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

It won’t work. Your children and grandchildren will be woke no matter how much you try and hide them from the world. Same for the state of Florida. There is an inevitability to freedom, acceptance, and human dignity,  You can try to slow it down but you can’t stop it. 

Well, playing defense is just starting. Hopefully it works and the tide turns. If the Borg Collective ever does indeed assimilate the whole country, red Florida will be the last bastion for truth, justice, and the American way to fall. My kids or grandkids in their nuclear families will have to figure deal with that.

4 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

UNC also played some solid defense in keeping Nikole Hannah-Jones from getting tenured, and in doing so, frustrated her enough to go off to spread her poison at Howard University instead. Pity the poor Howard University students, but a huge win for the Tarheels, that's the academic equivalent of beating Kentucky for a March Madness championship.

Not really. Again you’re just proving my point from my last response to you. Hannah-Jones has her own show on HULU (which is superb BTW) as well as being featured in the New York Times. Do you really believe this act by North Carolina changed anything? It just makes them look petty and backwards and doesn’t affect her at all. She’s already won. 

Students at North Carolina who are interested in learning about the 1619 project will have plenty of access to it. This is what I meant when I wrote that this stuff is inevitable, you can’t stop it. 

4 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Well, playing defense is just starting. Hopefully it works and the tide turns. If the Borg Collective ever does indeed assimilate the whole country, red Florida will be the last bastion for truth, justice, and the American way to fall. My kids or grandkids in their nuclear families will have to figure deal with that.

Ha! You will be assimilated! 

I loved the early Borg episodes. But later on they ruined the whole thing. 

Anyhow, I know you’re trying to do the right thing for your children. I profoundly disagree with you about what that right thing is. And I do believe you’re butting your head against a stone wall. 

BTW, Voltaire, you should recognize that many of us believe that academic freedom, including the freedom to teach these and other controversial subjects at universities, is an integral part of truth, justice, and the American way. When we try to remove that we are really weakening what the American way is all about. 

1 hour ago, The Real timschochet said:

I don’t agree with you but if this bill only removed gender studies I don’t think it would receive the response it’s going to receive. The bill is very draconic regarding many subjects. 

sure it is

just like the dont say gay drama queen bill right?

Not really. Again you’re just proving my point from my last response to you. Hannah-Jones has her own show on HULU (which is superb BTW) as well as being featured in the New York Times. Do you really believe this act by North Carolina changed anything? It just makes them look petty and backwards and doesn’t affect her at all. She’s already won. 

Students at North Carolina who are interested in learning about the 1619 project will have plenty of access to it. This is what I meant when I wrote that this stuff is inevitable, you can’t stop it. 

you are a completely lost sheep

why dont you just give everything you have to the blacks

BTW, Voltaire, you should recognize that many of us believe that academic freedom, including the freedom to teach these and other controversial subjects at universities, is an integral part of truth, justice, and the American way. When we try to remove that we are really weakening what the American way is all about. 

Universities are free to teach it.  They just can't do so and get public funds.  Just like Michelle Obama telling schools what foods they could feed kids.  Just like the Feds mandating speed limits if states want federal funds for road improvement projects.  Quit acting like the state has never used funding to dictate behavior and standards before.  You just don't like it this time.

1 minute ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

you are a completely lost sheep

why dont you just give everything you have to the blacks

Tim is the typical liberal.  He wants everyone else to give everything to the blacks while he exploits them.

I remember college. These academic majors in grievance studies were an irritating side show filled with loops and cranks and radicals and Marxists and assorted oddballs that were tolerated but never taken seriously. It's only since I've been gone for decades that I look back and see how they have metastasized to infect and overwhelm the host. It's why Florida's chemotherapy is necessary.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Strike said:

Universities are free to teach it.  They just can't do so and get public funds.  Just like Michelle Obama telling schools what foods they could feed kids.  Just like the Feds mandating speed limits if states want federal funds for road improvement projects.  Quit acting like the state has never used funding to dictate behavior and standards before.  You just don't like it this time.

I don’t believe, in modern history, state funding has been used to ban classes. I think this situation is pretty unique. Not since the Scopes trial. But I suppose I could be wrong .

I don’t believe, in modern history, state funding has been used to ban classes. I think this situation is pretty unique. Not since the Scopes trial. But I suppose I could be wrong .

So the fock what.  The precedent was set.  It's just like the idiotic Texas law that allows individuals to civilly sue abortion providers.  It basically shut down abortions in Texas.  Now other states are using the SAME PROCESS to go after things like guns.  I'm sure you'll be fine with the gun laws but I know for a fact you were disgusted by the Texas one, when in actuality you should oppose both.  The same thing applies here.  This method has been used by the state forever for all sorts of things.  But now that they're using it for something that bothers you it's a problem.  Well, you should have spoke up sooner dumbass.

Just now, Strike said:

So the fock what.  The precedent was set.  It's just like the idiotic Texas law that allows individuals to civilly sue abortion providers.  It basically shut down abortions in Texas.  Now other states are using the SAME PROCESS to go after things like guns.  I'm sure you'll be fine with the gun laws but I know for a fact you were disgusted by the Texas one, when in actuality you should oppose both.  The same thing applies here.  This method has been used by the state forever for all sorts of things.  But now that they're using it for something that bothers you it's a problem.  Well, you should have spoke up sooner dumbass.

I was disgusted by the Texas law. I am very much opposed to the same pattern being used for guns. I don’t like this method at all. 

I was disgusted by the Texas law. I am very much opposed to the same pattern being used for guns. I don’t like this method at all. 

Bet you never complained when the feds used federal highway funds as tool to get all states to standardize on .08 as the threshold for drunk driving.

Just now, Strike said:

Bet you never complained when the feds used federal highway funds as tool to get all states to standardize on .08 as the threshold for drunk driving.

I wasn’t aware of that. Not really seeing the connection though.