Sign in to follow this  
BiPolarBear

Ex Marine gets over 5 years for Jan. 6 Riot

21 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

It makes me laugh each time one of these morons gets sentenced.

You think all the punishments are fitting the crime? 

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Some seem a bit extreme.  I think they are making an example of them.  Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

First of all there are no "ex" Marines, only former Marines....

Secondly, if he committed a crime he should be held accountable, its not like he is a President or anything....

6 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Some seem a bit extreme.  I think they are making an example of them.  Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

So injustice doesn’t bother you. Sometimes.  Got it. 

• Haha 1

Did you feel the same way about Brittney Griner?

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

So injustice doesn’t bother you. Sometimes.  Got it. 

Seems to happen all the time to all kinds of people and no one else cares all that much.  They will have the ability to appeal. 

1 minute ago, Gladiators said:

Did you feel the same way about Brittney Griner?

What does she have to do with anything?  She was sentenced in a completely different country.

12 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

They should be charged  just like the thousands of other Americans that entered federal buildings without permission.

Here is one example:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cancel-kavanaugh-protest-hart-senate-building-amy-schumer-emily-ratajkowski-today-2018-10-04/

Anti-Kavanaugh protesters take over Senate building, Amy Schumer among those detained

Protesters opposed to Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh took over a Senate office building on Thursday, with actresses Amy Schumer and Emily Ratajkowski among the demonstrators detained. The Senate will hold a procedural vote on Kavanaugh's nomination on Friday, setting in motion a possible final vote on Saturday.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

What does she have to do with anything?  She was sentenced in a completely different country.

Really?  You can't make the connection?

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

No !

Trying to overthrow America is a hanging offense.  amirite

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gladiators said:

Of course it was extreme but different countries have completely different penalties.  She focked up and got lucky Biden bailed her out.  Once again, play stupid games and win stupid prizes.

3 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

There isn't one. It's a talking point doled out to make a false equivalence. You can't see that?

• Like 1

They all got what they deserved.  lol at anyone feeling sorry for them.

• Like 3

Some of you are the same that think certain people deserve to be shot for resisting arrest.  You think it's ok to be killed because you didn't follow the law but going to jail for a few years is way too extreme.  I'm sensing some bias here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, kozmiq said:

No !

Trying to overthrow America is a hanging offense.  amirite

What is the difference between this and the Cavanaugh demonstrators takeover of the Senate building?

1 minute ago, Baker Boy said:

What is the difference between this and the Cavanaugh demonstrators takeover of the Senate building?

Dude !  Seriously !  Come on !  Silly !

4 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

The political party to whom they were supportive.....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Fnord said:

There isn't one. It's a talking point doled out to make a false equivalence. You can't see that?

My bad.  I thought Hawkeye wanted Griner home because he felt the punishment was unjust.

1 minute ago, RLLD said:

The political party to whom they were supportive.....

3 minutes ago, kozmiq said:

I apologize, I like to step back from the political gamesmanship, and on occasion that will likely trigger your bias. I do not pretend that either political entity is "good" nor serve them as if they are masters. I leave that to the rest of you. 

11 minutes ago, kozmiq said:

What is the difference?

one difference is the Capital Police held the doors open for the people to enter on 1/6.

There are 14,000 minutes of surveillance video, what can’t we see them?

24 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

So goin think everyone in America gets 5 years in prison for trespassing and assaulting a cop? 

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

So goin think everyone in America gets 5 years in prison for trespassing and assaulting a cop? 

This. 
I’m troubled by these sentences. Not by the Kavanaugh analogy; I don’t find that really helpful. But by other comparable sentencing. I don’t know the particulars of this case but it’s hard to escape the conclusion that the harshness of this sentencing had a political element to it. And that is wrong. 

6 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I honestly don't expect them to serve 5 years so I'm not worked up about it.  When it's all said and done I wouldn't be surprised if it's a year max.

12 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

TRYING TO OVERTHROW THE GOVERNMENT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Trespassing, no.   Assaulting a cop?  I'm more inclined to think yeah, there should be time

These all ring a little hollow until Ray Epps has been charged. Has that happened yet? I may have missed it...

My friend has received , as far as I know, the harshest sentence yet as far as Jan 6 is concerned. He definitely earned a decent amount of time in prison. He’s guilty as Fock. But they wanted 14 years and last I heard it was 10.  14 was way too much. 10 is as well. And the prosecutor would have been good with 14,  which is completely out of line. He also blamed Trump and PTSD (eye roll) at his sentencing, which most likely helped. 

I honestly don't expect them to serve 5 years so I'm not worked up about it.  When it's all said and done I wouldn't be surprised if it's a year max.

Federal sentencing doesn’t work like that. 

1 minute ago, supermike80 said:

Trespassing, no.   Assaulting a cop?  I'm more inclined to think yeah, there should be time

Yes. But unless you really Fock a cop up you’re not doing 5 years almost anywhere. I’m sure there are exceptions. 

4 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

“I don’t like somebody so I don’t care if something unjust happens to them” is not exactly the best of looks. 

Unjust by what standard? I am sure assaulting a police officer is punishable by way more than five years. And as already noted he’ll end up serving less. 

Fock em.

Federal sentencing doesn’t work like that. 

Maybe he should have thought about that before going there with the intent of assaulting officers.  He's lucky he's only getting jail time and wasn't shot instead.

Yes. But unless you really Fock a cop up you’re not doing 5 years almost anywhere. I’m sure there are exceptions. 

Agreed.....And this is one case where I agree with some that minimum sentencing is bogus.   It would depend on the degree of the assault, but I would like a deterrent there that if you assault a cop, you better expect to do some time

Just now, kozmiq said:

TRYING TO OVERTHROW THE GOVERNMENT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See this is the part I have trouble with. 
They stormed in there because they were crazed and angry and emotional, because they believed Trump who told them the election was stolen. I believe that some of them would have killed Pelosi or Pence if they had been found. But most of them were there for the same reason students in the 60s occupied government buildings- because everybody there was doing it and it was cool. 
But there was no real plan to overthrow the government, and that’s where the Jan 6 committee took it too far IMO. Do these knuckleheads deserve to be punished? Of course. And anyone who threatened murder or physically attacked somebody deserves serious time. But most of them deserve only a slap on the hand. 5 years for this dude seems excessive. 

Just now, MDC said:

Unjust by what standard? I am sure assaulting a police officer is punishable by way more than five years. And as already noted he’ll end up serving less. 

Fock em.

Think of all the times we see videos of people on the street assaulting police and they get beat or shot.  Some here seem to think that it's justified then but give this guy jail time and it's going too far.

5 minutes ago, Reality said:

These all ring a little hollow until Ray Epps has been charged. Has that happened yet? I may have missed it...

Don't expect any replies to this from the liberals like Hawkeye. They only likes to jump on board against conservatives.