Sign in to follow this  
jerryskids

GenZ wants a promotion NOW$#@!

Most first-time workers get a promotion within 3 years. Gen Z wants theirs right away.

Shoot for the moon, right?

According to a survey of 2,500 graduating college seniors conducted by the LaSalle Network, a staffing and recruiting firm, the latest batch of Gen Z workers want—nay, expect—to earn their first promotion within one year on the job.

That might be a bit ambitious. Especially just out of college, and especially in an unpredictable economy as recession fears swirl, promotions (much less raises) could be extra-difficult to come by.

“Earning a promotion is hard, even in a strong economic environment,” Amanda Day, director of people enablement at employment firm Remote, told Fortune last month. “To do so in a recession, especially if you’re working remotely, you need to be deliberate to ensure that the work you are doing aligns with how your performance is being evaluated."

Naturally, when an entry-level worker can expect a promotion varies widely by industry and company. Getting promoted typically takes one to two years as you gain experience, according to Indeed. But new workforce entrants should expect a promotion once every three years, ZipRecruiter CEO Ian Siegel has said in the past—far past Gen Z's 12-month expectation. But “if you aren’t moving up after three years, there’s a problem,” he said.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/most-first-time-workers-promotion-130000088.html?.tsrc=1013

Every year?  So if you work for, say, 30 years, you can expect 30 promotions in your 30-layer deep hierarchy?

I really worry about this generation.  :unsure: 

• Like 1

Most of them have no clue that life is a competitive sport.  I get people want work life balance and that's a good thing.  The problem, though, is the guy who was raised by immigrants who worked 12 hours a day, seven days a week to establish a life in this country is working 60 hours a week and going way above the call of duty because they understand you eat what you kill.  How do you justify giving someone a promotion over that person because you showed up and "did what was asked."

I bet the laid off workers at Facebook, Google, Goldman Sachs and Disney would be ok waiting on a promotion. 

Promotion?   Pish...They all expect to come out of college and be hired as a VP or higher.

Those 8 dollar Lattes and 15 dollar salads aren’t going to pay for themselves. 

3 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Promotion?   Pish...They all expect to come out of college and be hired as a VP or higher.

Why would any gen-z take a job as low paying as a VP?  It's CEO straight out of college MINIMUM.

Of course they do.....and you better give them what you have earned, or else....its just the liberal way

Article doesn't say what %, and the survey needs to be downloaded.  I wonder if it's 80% or 20%.  And I wonder how the questions were worded.  This is a lazy click bait article.

Either way I'm not sure it's a Gen Z problem.  I've seen the same with Millenials.  And quite frankly when I think back to when I graduated school, I wanted promotions and expected them, and got them.  I think it's a younger person mindset.  Doesn't mean that they don't expect to pay their dues and work hard, just that they expect to get rewarded for it.

I actually think this mindset is better than previous generations.  Older folk expect to get promoted based on tenure and not performance.  But we're in a performance driven world now.

3 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

Article doesn't say what %, and the survey needs to be downloaded.  I wonder if it's 80% or 20%.  And I wonder how the questions were worded.  This is a lazy click bait article.

Either way I'm not sure it's a Gen Z problem.  I've seen the same with Millenials.  And quite frankly when I think back to when I graduated school, I wanted promotions and expected them, and got them.  I think it's a younger person mindset.  Doesn't mean that they don't expect to pay their dues and work hard, just that they expect to get rewarded for it.

I actually think this mindset is better than previous generations.  Older folk expect to get promoted based on tenure and not performance.  But we're in a performance driven world now.

Look at this GutterPedo moron, always with an excuse.  :lol:

Gotta' protect the tribe  AT ALL COSTS! Even if that means you have to look like a fool doing it. 

GTFO you idiot.

2 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

Tread lightly there you RACIST!!!  That sounds like MERITOCRACY, which we are told is based in whiteness!  :nono:

I think they will get what they want,  welcome to the new America.  

2 hours ago, GutterBoy said:

Article doesn't say what %, and the survey needs to be downloaded.  I wonder if it's 80% or 20%.  And I wonder how the questions were worded. 

They probably got a Liberal Arts degree and are upset that they spent $250,000 on College for a $30,000 a year job. 

2 hours ago, GutterBoy said:

"When asked what their top 3 priorities were."

"More than half 54%"

Guy says he works in IT but has trouble with downloads.

Just now, RogerDodger said:

"More than half 54%"

I don’t think he does anything.  

1 minute ago, RogerDodger said:

"More than half 54%"

No trouble, I just didn't feel like answering the questions and giving them my info.

4 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

No trouble, I just didn't feel like answering the questions and giving them my info.

Guy says he's in IT and thinks you have to fill out the form with a real name and email.  :lol:

5 minutes ago, RogerDodger said:

Guy says he's in IT and thinks you have to fill out the form with a real name and email.  :lol:

Usually they email you the document you requested to avoid people from entering fake info

1 hour ago, GutterBoy said:

Usually they email you the document you requested to avoid people from entering fake info

A lot of the time the link just pops up when all they are trying to do is get you on their email list.  Computer guys would give it a go and find out.  Let me know if you need my help on any other IT issues.  :thumbsup:   

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RogerDodger said:

A lot of the time the link just pops up when all they are trying to do is get you on their email list.  Computer guys would give it a go and find out.  Let me know if you need my help on any other IT issues.  :thumbsup:   

The guy with endless aliases doesn’t have an email address for junk. Even I have one of those. 

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

The guy with endless aliases doesn’t have an email address for junk. Even I have one of those. 

I think it's pretty safe to say he's not an IT guy. 

I always thought he was a middle manager given how he immediately changes his principles given whatever he finds most advantageous.

The Chargers/giants thing

He was cool with racist and homophobic language and now he's an advocate for all things woke.

That kind of hypocrisy and the unabashed way he defends it is a prerequisite for front line management.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, nobody said:

I always thought he was a middle manager given how he immediately changes his principles given whatever he finds most advantageous.

He was cool with racist and homophobic language and now he's an advocate for all things woke.

That kind of hypocrisy and the unabashed way he defends it is a prerequisite for front line management.

Switching team allegiance after you reach your twenties is a low character move. People that do that lack principles. Funny no one ever bails on a team that’s winning titles. 

On 4/21/2023 at 4:02 PM, nobody said:

The guy who stands for nothing will fall for anything.

On 4/21/2023 at 4:53 PM, RogerDodger said:

think it's pretty safe to say he's not an IT guy. 

He works feverishly at the Glory Hole to pay off that Liberal Arts degree. 

• Haha 1