Sign in to follow this  
The Real timschochet

Nobody needs to own an AR-15

Whether it should be legal or not to own one is a different question which I go back and forth on, but according to this poll: 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/interactive/2023/american-ar-15-gun-owners/?itid=hp-top-table-main_p001_f002

gun owners claim they need it for “self-defense”. And that is such bullsh!t. You don’t need it for self defense, you don’t need it to hunt. Such crap. 

According to the poll, most folks who own such a weapon are white males between 40-65. Big focking surprise. So my guess is the biggest reason they own one went unsaid in the poll:

Pen!s envy. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BeenHereBefore said:

Why is it ?

Because the purpose of an electric car, or machete, or even a hunting rifle, isn’t to kill groups of other human beings. That is the sole purpose of an AR-15. Yes you can use a lot of other items as weapons for mass killing but they’re not designed for it. The AR-15 is a weapon of war. That’s why the self defense thing is such BS. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BeenHereBefore said:

Nobody needs to own a machete will be next if guns are taking away.

Alright this is dumb.  Machetes and electric cars serve a useful purpose.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

Whether it should be legal or not to own one is a different question which I go back and forth on, but according to this poll: 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/interactive/2023/american-ar-15-gun-owners/?itid=hp-top-table-main_p001_f002

gun owners claim they need it for “self-defense”. And that is such bullsh!t. You don’t need it for self defense, you don’t need it to hunt. Such crap. 

According to the poll, most folks who own such a weapon are white males between 40-65. Big focking surprise. So my guess is the biggest reason they own one went unsaid in the poll:

Pen!s envy. 

Where in the Constitution is the Bill of Needs? 

And your preoccupation with the size of other men's junk is very telling. 

• Like 1

Just now, 5-Points said:

Where in the Constitution is the Bill of Needs? 

And your preoccupation with the size of other men's junk is very telling. 

Where in the Constitution are A-R-15s mentioned? 

5 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

Because the purpose of an electric car, or machete, or even a hunting rifle, isn’t to kill groups of other human beings. That is the sole purpose of an AR-15. Yes you can use a lot of other items as weapons for mass killing but they’re not designed for it. The AR-15 is a weapon of war. That’s why the self defense thing is such BS. 

What characteristics of the AR15 are so vile that they need to be outlawed?

6 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

Where in the Constitution are A-R-15s mentioned? 

In the Second Amendment. "The right to keep and bear arms..."

It doesn't say "The right to keep and bear certain arms..."

The term is inclusive of arms of all types. Specifically those that could be used to defend one's liberty against a tyrannical government. 

9 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

I’m not sure they need to be outlawed. Not the point of this thread. 

Sorry.  Considering the outcome of outlawing an AR and no one owning an AR is the same, I used the terms interchangeably.  So I’ll restate…what characteristics of the AR are so vile that no one should  own one?

7 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Sorry.  Considering the outcome of outlawing an AR and no one owning an AR is the same, I used the terms interchangeably.  So I’ll restate…what characteristics of the AR are so vile that no one should  own one?

First off it’s not the same outcome. The main reason I lean against banning this weapon is because it’s probably impractical at this point, unfortunately. Too many in circulation. 

Second I am not arguing that nobody should own an AR-15, I am arguing that nobody NEEDS to own an AR-15. Which is two very different things. It’s not for me to judge whether you should own one; like everything else you possess that’s your call. But if you claim that you NEED to own one for self-defense I call BS. Because unless you’re in a war zone you don’t need it for self-defense. 

So no Im not going to answer your question because you want to trap me into a debate about how other weapons can fire every bit as rapidly, or at a greater distance, or a handgun is just as deadly, or a set of throwing knives in the right hands, or a car, etc etc., all of the same crap we’ve all heard before ad nauseum. I don’t give a sh!t about any of it. 

I’ll take two, I need to be ready for the Red, and Blue teams  of the USA to come a knocking.    I don’t own one, but if I can get one I would , and two would be great. 

Couple questions, Tim.  Specifically, what makes the AR-15 distinct relative to other guns that you would be ok with people owning?  And, after banning this atrocity of a weapon, when the levels of violence don't subside will you want to ban other guns that YOU decide are bad?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Strike said:

Couple questions, Tim.  Specifically, what makes the AR-15 distinct relative to other guns that you would be ok with people owning?  And, after banning this atrocity of a weapon, when the levels of violence don't subside will you want to ban other guns that YOU decide are bad?

Maybe you should read the thread first. 

1 hour ago, The Real timschochet said:

First off it’s not the same outcome. The main reason I lean against banning this weapon is because it’s probably impractical at this point, unfortunately. Too many in circulation. 

You can't make that statement if you know nothing about guns. So what makes it "impractical"? We use them here for hunting just about everything, it's a nice platform for hunting, as are hundreds of other weapons? 

Does it look scary to you? Is that why you want it outlawed? Because it's no different from any other rifle. 

Please elaborate, with facts. 

7 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

Maybe you should read the thread first. 

So what.  You think it's impractical:

The main reason I lean against banning this weapon is because it’s probably impractical at this point, unfortunately. Too many in circulation.

We all know that if Tim had his way they'd be banned.  Why do you refuse to discuss the issue on it's merits?  

2 minutes ago, League Champion said:

You can't make that statement if you know nothing about guns. So what makes it "impractical"? We use them here for hunting just about everything, it's a nice platform for hunting, as are hundreds of other weapons? 

Does it look scary to you? Is that why you want it outlawed? Because it's no different from any other rifle. 

Is there a problem today with reading comprehension? 
I wrote that it’s probably impractical to ban AR-15s, because there are so many in circulation. I didn’t say the gun was impractical. That depends on what it’s being used for, right? I don’t think it’s practical for self-defense. 

4 minutes ago, League Champion said:

He can't.  He doesn't know sh*t about an AR-15 except what his lib overlords tell him.

1 minute ago, Strike said:

So what.  You think it's impractical:

We all know that if Tim had his way they'd be banned.  Why do you refuse to discuss the issue on it's merits?  

What is it you want me to discuss? 

It's easier than a handgun to aim, and is alot easier on the shoulder than a shotgun when fired. Grandma can easily handle one to defend her home.

Just now, The Real timschochet said:

What is it you want me to discuss? 

For starters, detail the SPECIFIC issues you have with the AR-15 relative to other guns that you DON'T have a problem with.

He can't.  He doesn't know sh*t about an AR-15 except what his lib overlords tell him.

This isn’t true. What’s true is that I don’t want to get into a discussion about the specific differences between AR-15s and other firearms because it’s completely irrelevant to my point, which is that AR-15s are unnecessary for self defense. 

For starters, detail the SPECIFIC issues you have with the AR-15 relative to other guns that you DON'T have a problem with.

Nope. Not relevant. 

But if you think you NEED to own an AR-15 (not want to but need to) make your case. 

4 minutes ago, Thornton Melon said:

It's easier than a handgun to aim, and is alot easier on the shoulder than a shotgun when fired. Grandma can easily handle one to defend her home.

Most grandmas don’t have an AR-15. Most grandmas don’t want one. No grandma needs to have one, Neither do you. 

1 minute ago, The Real timschochet said:

This isn’t true. What’s true is that I don’t want to get into a discussion about the specific differences between AR-15s and other firearms because it’s completely irrelevant to my point, which is that AR-15s are unnecessary for self defense. 

Doesn't sound like you are singling self defense out.  Cause I read your post:

You don’t need it for self defense, you don’t need it to hunt. Such crap. 

What makes it different than the weapons you deem "necessary" for self defense, or hunting?  Why do you keep dodging the questions?  

3 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

wrote that it’s probably impractical to ban AR-15s, because there are so many in circulation.

What the hell does that matter? There's too many Chevys on the road, should we ban them to? There's too much of everything. That's an asinine statement, who are you to say what's too many and why?? 

Farmers and hunters aren't killing each other. 

2 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

Nope. Not relevant. 

But if you think you NEED to own an AR-15 (not want to but need to) make your case. 

I don't own any guns.  I'd end up shooting myself, and I know my limitations.  I don't choose my stances based upon what benefits me.  I choose them based on data and logic.  Those are two things you know little about which is why you never have discussions that include them. 

5 minutes ago, Strike said:

I don't own any guns.  I'd end up shooting myself, and I know my limitations.  I don't choose my stances based upon what benefits me.  I choose them based on data and logic.  Those are two things you know little about which is why you never have discussions that include them. 

Oh OK. 
Your hostility amuses me. 

8 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

I don’t think it’s practical for self-defense. 

WTF??    EVERYTHING IS PRACTICAL FOR SELF DEFENSE. 

"SELF DEFENSE" 

You're spinning yourself out Tim. I have AR-15s, I have a ranch where we use them to hunt, control the wild hog population that can wipe out crops in hours, kill coyotes that kill the our livestock and to to kill other deadly predators that invade the ranch. 

You may not need or want an AR but for me it's a tool. Blame the a-holes who have them for other reasons, killing people. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

Is there a problem today with reading comprehension? 
I wrote that it’s probably impractical to ban AR-15s, because there are so many in circulation. I didn’t say the gun was impractical. That depends on what it’s being used for, right? I don’t think it’s practical for self-defense. 

Your last sentence is entirely wrong but it won't matter to you.  You should delete this thread while you are still barely hanging on, because shortly you will be buried.

10 minutes ago, shadrap said:

Your last sentence is entirely wrong but it won't matter to you.  You should delete this thread while you are still barely hanging on, because shortly you will be buried.

You don’t think that when I started this thread I knew that 90% of the folks here would disagree with me? Or that @Strike would jump in and accuse me of having no data or facts because I won’t answer his stupid questions? Lol