Sign in to follow this  
wolves111

Kupp Hurt Again

5 minutes ago, wolves111 said:

NFL Network reporting he had a setback. Real shock.

They're saying it's day to day

With him and the nature of hamstring injuries, we'll see...

Even before this latest setback, I wouldn't draft Kupp until the 3rd round. The risk is too high and (I know many will disagree) the reward isn't much more than the next best Wr.

9 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

Even before this latest setback, I wouldn't draft Kupp until the 3rd round. The risk is too high and (I know many will disagree) the reward isn't much more than the next best Wr.

yeah I'm starting to come around to that way of thinking.

at the very least, I think hes no longer a first round pick.

2 minutes ago, the spanker said:

Ouch. Hamstrings are tricky especially for older receivers. Look what happened to Kennan Allen last year.

honestly its an issue for all WR.   older is a bit worse.

I seem to notice anyone who has had ACL surgery seems to be more prone to getting this injury in the 2-3 years after the surgery.   I suspect its muscles compensating for the injury.  but who knows.  I am not a doctor.

I'd like to see if there is stats to back that up. 

This is precisely why I passed on him at pick 7 and took Chubb instead. Guy right after me took him. Didn’t like how his injury seemed to be nagging him in preseason 

40 minutes ago, ZeroTolerance said:

There goes any hope of someone picking him before me at #12 (i.e. one less worthwhile player available).

it is hard to say how people adjust their draft boards.    a last minute injury like this.....you wont tell how it affects ADP until sometime after your draft.    so at this point, its a best guess thing.

personally I dont think he should be taken in round 1 anymore.  others may throw caution to the wind and draft him at his ADP.    and some fantasy players who dont pay attention wont even realize hes got this issue and will draft him anyways.

its a crapshoot.

1 hour ago, IGotWorms said:

Pretty sure 2019 - 2021 was the high water mark for Kupp

He was statistically the best WR just last year in 2022 in points per game in the games he played though. When his hamstring heals again, he will be on the field and producing at an elite level.

Any thoughts on grabbing Van Jefferson, particularly for Kupp owners?  I can grab him but I just don't know if it's worth dropping one of my late round upside darlings (Rice, Hull, Mims) for a just another guy, even if he is the WR1 for a while.  

3 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Any thoughts on grabbing Van Jefferson, particularly for Kupp owners?  

Rising tide lifts all ships. Without Kupp the Rams tide is outgoing. I preferred Van before the injury. Look at his pedestrian stats after Kupp left last year. Van was better in '21 with him. But ya never know... maybe he steps up as alpha. 

Depends on how much you love your other lotto tickets. I'm keeping my Hull ticket.  :ninja:

23 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

Rising tide lifts all ships. Without Kupp the Rams tide is outgoing. I preferred Van before the injury. Look at his pedestrian stats after Kupp left last year. Van was better in '21 with him. But ya never know... maybe he steps up as alpha. 

Depends on how much you love your other lotto tickets. I'm keeping my Hull ticket.  :ninja:

Thanks for the feedback.  Yeah, that's kinda how I feel.  I don't really need him to start, and it is a deep keeper league, so I always grab lotto tickets late in the draft (also took Warren).

Van Jefferson is the man to pickup now

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Any thoughts on grabbing Van Jefferson, particularly for Kupp owners?  I can grab him but I just don't know if it's worth dropping one of my late round upside darlings (Rice, Hull, Mims) for a just another guy, even if he is the WR1 for a while.  

He’s never done squat. Was supposed to be a breakout guy last year but sh1t the bed like everyone else on the Rams. Maybe this is finally The Year, but I doubt it.

I mean, last year he couldn’t even beat out Allen Robinson’s rotting corpse

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

He’s never done squat. Was supposed to be a breakout guy last year but sh1t the bed like everyone else on the Rams. Maybe this is finally The Year, but I doubt it.

after an 800 yard season he was supposed to breakout last year but had knee surgery in august and missed some time at the start of the year.  then upon returning he had limited playing time and was on a pitch count.  stafford got hurt and the season went to crap.

as the last season was such a dumpster fire for the team I'd probably just throw that season out of the analysis.   I think hes still a solid candidate for a breakout and now that Kupp is out, he will get all the action he can handle.   This guy should be rostered in all formats even if you dont have plans to start him.

if he looks bad in the first 2 weeks you can dump him for the flavour of the week and try your luck elsewhere.

35 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

He had 50/800/6 in his soph campaign. 

Year 3, because of injury, he did not see the field until week 8 I believe. Stafford was shut down after 9 games. 

I think you just made a flippant assumption based on his stat line? 

He's not a top tier NFL receiver and is on the older side for someone entering year 4, but I like him in fantasy this season even with Kupp on the field. The Rams are not good and should be playing from behind quite often. Stafford had good rapport with him, we just didn't get a chance to see it grow last season. He can be drafted as a WR5/6 and I think there is WR 2/3 upside. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

He had 50/800/6 in his soph campaign. 

Year 3, because of injury, he did not see the field until week 8 I believe. Stafford was shut down after 9 games. 

He's not a top tier NFL receiver and is on the older side for someone entering year 4, but I like him in fantasy this season even with Kupp on the field. The Rams are not good and should be playing from behind quite often. Stafford had good rapport with him, we just didn't get a chance to see it grow last season. He can be drafted as a WR5/6 and I think there is WR 2/3 upside. 

Wrong. I owned him at times last year and the year before. Was barely ever useful.

But hey, I could be wrong. Wouldn’t be the first time

6 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Wrong. I owned him at times last year and the year before. Was barely ever useful.

well, the thing about WR.  they dont all break out in the same way or with the same timing.

top ones break out in year 1 or 2.  but lots of WR breakout in year 3 or 4 and if they have an injury like Jefferson did, that can push back the timeline.   I do think hes a top breakout candidate who can be had for cheap.  he is even on the waiver wire in some leagues. (though with this news, likely not for long)

if you have already drafted I'd say if hes on the wire...... as a priority free agent pickup hes a nice add at this point. 

if you dont own him, you can probably still get him for cheap in trade.    if he breaks out in week 1 you wont get him cheap.

if you are thin at WR I think hes a sensible add or trade target.   Thats all I am saying.

1 hour ago, WhiteWonder said:

29 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

He had 8 games with double digit PPR fantasy points in 2021, including a three game stretch with roughly 47 points.  Would he be useful if you had better receivers to start every week, including bye weeks and you had no injury issues to navigate? probably not. I think the main point here is that he has produced before with Stafford under center and simply didn't get that chance in 2022.

A receiver being drafted very late or not at all who is shaping up as the #2 on his team with a guy in front of him who might be dealing with a nagging injury seems like a solid candidate to take a flyer on. 

(I don't own him anywhere aside from I think the June Mock) Just speculating. 

5 hours ago, jerryskids said:

I think Mims would be an equal or better option than Van Jeff.

17 minutes ago, Law said:

I think Mims would be an equal or better option than Van Jeff.

if you feel that way and you need a player, you better go out and get him

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

he is even on the waiver wire in some leagues. (though with this news, likely not for long)

if you have already drafted I'd say if hes on the wire...... as a priority free agent pickup hes a nice add at this point.

Van is on my wire (12-man league). I still prefer my 14th rd pick - Rashid Shaheed for long-term.

10 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

Van is on my wire (12-man league). I still prefer my 14th rd pick - Rashid Shaheed for long-term.

hey, you gotta do what you feel.   I think hes a nice add, but everyone has their reasons for liking or disliking certain players.

sometimes in fantasy football you gotta assume you are right and others are wrong.

its also possible both players are good or neither will be good.   its not an exact science.   and sometimes the tiebreaker is that you pick the guy from a game you wanna watch next sunday.

good luck with whatever you decide.

6 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

Hoping this means a big game for Tyler Higbee.

he might also be a nice pickup if hes on the wire and you are in need at TE

2 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

he might also be a nice pickup if hes on the wire and you are in need at TE

He's my #1 TE in a start 2 TE league because I passed on tight end early in my auction league and drafted Kenneth Walker late and was just short of enough to bid enough to get Dallas Goedert or TJ Hockenson.

8 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

He's my #1 TE in a start 2 TE league because I passed on tight end early in my auction league and drafted Kenneth Walker late and was just short of enough to bid enough to get Dallas Goedert or TJ Hockenson.

you wont regret that decision.  Kenneth Walker is a RB stud in waiting.   the Seattle offense is perfect for his skillset.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

Hoping this means a big game for Tyler Higbee.

Kupp was out most of last year which is why Higbee had a career high 108 targets which he parlayed into ... just 3 Tds and the lowest ypr (8.6) of his career. The Rams were hoping Hunter Long (traded from Miami) would become their top Te given Higbee's poor production. but Hunter is on the PUP. 

So, it's probably Stafford to Higbee all over again for the first few weeks. We'll see if his production improves, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

3 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

Kupp was out most of last year which is why Higbee had a career high 108 targets which he parlayed into ... just 3 Tds and the lowest ypr (8.6) of his career. The Rams were hoping Hunter Long (traded from Miami) would become their top Te given Higbee's poor production. but Hunter is on the PUP. 

So, it's probably Stafford to Higbee all over again for the first few weeks. We'll see if his production improves, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

well, someone has to catch the ball.

I figure it will be him or Jefferson.   I suppose it could be someone else but the odds are that one of these guys (or both) will step up.

I'd say there is also a slim chance they pull a trade for somebody as well.

2 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

well, someone has to catch the ball.

I figure it will be him or Jefferson.   I suppose it could be someone else but the odds are that one of these guys (or both) will step up.

I'd say there is also a slim chance they pull a trade for somebody as well.

Feels like the Rams are already lost before the season even starts. They mortgaged some future for that SuperBowl run and it worked, but now the piper is calling.

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

if you feel that way and you need a player, you better go out and get him

Yeah. I'm not sure why you felt the need to reply like that, but hey! You be you.

I don't need for either you (Mr. Jefferson) or Mims. I merely provided my input to a question.

1 hour ago, GobbleDog said:

How much of Higbees production was with Stafford last year? You said all over again but I feel like Kupp and Stafford missed about the same amount of games. don’t think higbee even caught a TD from stafford in 2022

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

How much of Higbees production was with Stafford last year? You said all over again but I feel like Kupp and Stafford missed about the same amount of games. don’t think higbee even caught a TD from stafford in 2022

Good point. Perhaps Stafford can fix some of Higbees inefficiencies.