Sign in to follow this  
IGotWorms

Almost every Tesla vehicle in US recalled

Whoopsadaisy

New YorkCNN — 

Tesla is recalling nearly all 2 million of its cars on US roads to limit the use of its Autopilot feature following a two-year probe by US safety regulators of roughly 1,000 crashes in which the feature was engaged.

The limitations on Autopilot serve as a blow to Tesla’s efforts to market its vehicles to buyers willing to pay extra to have their cars do the driving for them.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said the Autopilot system can give drivers a false sense of security and be easily misused in certain dangerous situations when a Tesla’s technology may be unable to safely navigate the road. The over-the-air software update will give Tesla drivers more warnings when they are not paying attention to the road while the Autopilot’s “Autosteer” function is turned on. Those notifications will remind drivers to keep their hands on the wheel and pay attention to the road, according to a statement from NHTSA.

After the recall, Teslas with Autosteer turned on will more routinely check on the driver’s attention level – and may disengage the feature – when the software determines the driver isn’t paying attention, when the car is approaching traffic controls, or when it’s off the highway when Autosteer alone isn’t sufficient to drive the car.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/13/tech/tesla-recall-autopilot/index.html

The big difference with Tesla recalls is they can push them via software and updates at your house - this one at least. 

One of the best things they created after being a fun to drive EV was this model of “updating” cars over WiFi.

1 minute ago, thegeneral said:

The big difference with Tesla recalls is they can push them via software and updates at your house - this one at least. 

One of the best things they created after being a fun to drive EV was this model of “updating” cars over WiFi.

Yes that is an important distinction: it is an “over the air” recall :thumbsup:

Auto pilot shouldn't be made available to the public at all, until it's been tested to the point where they know (and are willing to be held 100% financially liable), that the success rate is at least 99% safe/accurate.

Looks like they want to teach Musk a little lesson eh?

24 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Yes that is an important distinction: it is an “over the air” recall :thumbsup:

They can tweak your car with 1 push of a button, scary isn't it? 

9 minutes ago, RLLD said:

Looks like they want to teach Musk a little lesson eh?

The self driving shet isn’t very good.

People are too stupid to follow the instructions so we have to dumb it down.  The least common denominator at play again, and indicative of why we are regressing as a society.

Tesla was the first on the autopilot, however they are not doing as well as the other manufacturers.

Mercedes Benz is the first manufacturer to get level 3 autonomous driving approval by the government, however it is only available in 2 states and is a 2,500 dollar a year feature. There are a few other manufacturers that are closer to level 3 than tesla. The only difference is that the media only pays attention to tesla because the media is in it for the clicks and not to actually inform.

19 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Auto pilot shouldn't be made available to the public at all, until it's been tested to the point where they know (and are willing to be held 100% financially liable), that the success rate is at least 99% safe/accurate.

I would trust mercedes, the below article is pretty good. It also meets your requirements, scroll down through the article and you will see the below line of text.

"If our EQS580 had been involved in an accident during that time, Mercedes would have been responsible, not us."

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a45326503/mercedes-benz-drive-pilot-review/

5 minutes ago, Strike said:

People are too stupid to follow the instructions so we have to dumb it down.  The least common denominator at play again, and indicative of why we are regressing as a society.

This and lawyers.

44 minutes ago, thegeneral said:

Can they update the one they shot into space? 

6 minutes ago, Strike said:

This has always been the case vis a vis product liability :dunno:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mike Honcho said:

Can they update the one they shot into space? 

Why you think he created Starlink?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, thegeneral said:

The self driving shet isn’t very good.

Its actually pretty good.  It can sense your eyes and knows when you are not looking forward and it signals to you that it will turn off.....very effectvive.

24 minutes ago, League Champion said:

They can tweak your car with 1 push of a button, scary isn't it? 

No, you can disable this feature just like the dozens of other products that have automatic updates.

10 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Tesla was the first on the autopilot, however they are not doing as well as the other manufacturers.

Mercedes Benz is the first manufacturer to get level 3 autonomous driving approval by the government, however it is only available in 2 states and is a 2,500 dollar a year feature. There are a few other manufacturers that are closer to level 3 than tesla. The only difference is that the media only pays attention to tesla because the media is in it for the clicks and not to actually inform.

I would trust mercedes, the below article is pretty good.

It also meets your requirements, scroll down through the article and you will see the below line of text.

" If our EQS580 had been involved in an accident during that time, Mercedes would have been responsible, not us. "

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a45326503/mercedes-benz-drive-pilot-review/

I have no problem with anyone trying, I'm just saying that giving the people the ability to let the car do the driving is recipe for failure.  It better be dam near perfect before it's on the market, regardless of who is doing it.  If Mercedes has done it, great.

21 minutes ago, RLLD said:

Its actually pretty good.  It can sense your eyes and knows when you are not looking forward and it signals to you that it will turn off.....very effectvive.

To herky jerky for my tastes unless there is no one on the road. 

45 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Totally agree here...  Just disable auto pilot and make people drive...

6 minutes ago, thegeneral said:

To herky jerky for my tastes unless there is no one on the road. 

Its imperfect to be sure, but I hope eventually its gets to be so good that you barely have to do anything.

18 minutes ago, RLLD said:

Its imperfect to be sure, but I hope eventually its gets to be so good that you barely have to do anything.

Once every car uses it maybe.

4 hours ago, RLLD said:

They are already better than human drivers.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I have no problem with anyone trying, I'm just saying that giving the people the ability to let the car do the driving is recipe for failure.  It better be dam near perfect before it's on the market, regardless of who is doing it.  If Mercedes has done it, great.

This is why they are doing these updates. To make people have to be more alert and less reliant on the self drive through various alerts and stuff the driver is forced to do every so often. 

This is much ado about nothing IMO.

6 minutes ago, Thornton Melon said:

I wouldn't set foot in a self-driving car if you put a gun to my head.

But you will ride with an impaired driver or maybe you drive impaired yourself.

53 minutes ago, Thornton Melon said:

I wouldn't set foot in a self-driving car if you put a gun to my head.

I don’t think you appreciate the issue here.

You don’t have to set foot in one for this to be a problem for you.

There are self driving vehicles on the road that can hit you regardless of what you, personally, do. They can go haywire and nail you while you’re driving. They can hit you in the street, or the crosswalk, or the sidewalk. Anywhere you are near a road, this is your concern, whether you are driving or a passenger in one or otherwise.

That said, this is already true with regard to actual drivers as well. So maybe it’s not much different and, indeed, may be safer overall, statistically speaking.

But man, it would suck to be killed by an algorithm.

Boy is this an overblown story, a recall? It's a software update, an over the air update . They’re just adding more nags which is good if the driver is a jackass and doesn’t pay attention.  

3 hours ago, Baker Boy said:

But you will ride with an impaired driver or maybe you drive impaired yourself.

Or......maybe I wouldn't, and maybe I don't. 

Jesus Christ......

5 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I don’t get this line of thinking.  What if cars driven by humans are 85% safe?  Why wouldn’t the driverless car threshold be 86% instead of 99%?  Are you an AI bigot?

• Like 2

So a nothing burger. It’s sad what excites Worms and the other libtards. 

2 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

There are self driving vehicles on the road that can hit you regardless of what you, personally, do. They can go haywire and nail you while you’re driving. They can hit you in the street, or the crosswalk, or the sidewalk. Anywhere you are near a road, this is your concern, whether you are driving or a passenger in one or otherwise.

That said, this is already true with regard to actual drivers as well. So maybe it’s not much different and, indeed, may be safer overall, statistically speaking.

No, I appreciate the issue. I can't control other cars, either as driver or as a pedestrian. I was just making a point that I would never ride in a self-driving car. That's something I can control. 

6 minutes ago, Thornton Melon said:

No, I appreciate the issue. I can't control other cars, either as driver or as a pedestrian. I was just making a point that I would never ride in a self-driving car. That's something I can control. 

The thing is if you are using autopilot you’re in control. It’s the idiots Fn around and not paying attention. I’m more afraid of someone dicking. around with their phones while driving than autopilot 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

So a nothing burger. It’s sad what excites Worms and the other libtards. 

I just read about this, it’s essentially a software upgrade like you’d do to your iPhone.  :doh:

31 minutes ago, Patented Phil said:

I don’t get this line of thinking.  What if cars driven by humans are 85% safe?  Why wouldn’t the driverless car threshold be 85% instead of 99%?  Are you an AI bigot?

“AI bigot”?? 😂

15 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

I just read about this, it’s essentially a software upgrade like you’d do to your iPhone.  :doh:

I got one on my Subaru Outback last week…….RECALL!!!!!!

3 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

I got hit by a car once while drinking a beer inside of a bar.  Driver had a seizure, floored it, and crashed through the brick wall of the bar doing 90 mph.

3 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

Might be a bigger danger from someone getting road head and I would definitely say something texting and driving