Sign in to follow this  
RepoPatrol

Playoff game on peacock

Just found out I can't watch my home team Dolphins because they are only on Peacock. Well I could, if I wanted to pay Peacock, but I don't want to and won't ever. Watched just about every televised game the last 22 seasons and if the NFL doesn't come to their senses on this TV crap, I will have watched my last. I am just sick and tired of being a mark. Support the people and the future of the game by refusing to pay Peacock any money. Hopefully they lose their azz and we can have football return to the way it's been televised for the last half century.

• Thanks 1

Haha.  Good luck.  It's all about money and if more money can be made even if less (or different) people watch, that will be the path that is followed.  It drives all of the decisions: international games, Thursday games, NFL network/ESPN/Amazon, 17/18? game seasons, etc.  Pay per view probably isn't far behind.

I'm in a kc market that won't broadcast the game locally.   If course I can get it, but it's really older Americans who will suffer most with less access to smart tvs, internet and subscription services. 

You could always sign up for a trial and cancel I suppose.  I'm not paying a dime for it though.

Peacock is only like $4.99 a month, and if you're a pro wrestling fan, you get every single WWE PPV and all their archives to stream.

I already have Netflix, Disney+, and YouTube TV.  I'm not adding another one.

• Like 1

peacock prolly gets over 1 million sign up over this.

I won’t be watching either. I pay for Sunday ticket too, but this is a bridge too far. Fock off NFL and NBC :thumbsdown:

Stop watching 14 years ago, much happier person.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, RepoPatrol said:

Just found out I can't watch my home team Dolphins because they are only on Peacock. Well I could, if I wanted to pay Peacock, but I don't want to and won't ever. Watched just about every televised game the last 22 seasons and if the NFL doesn't come to their senses on this TV crap, I will have watched my last. I am just sick and tired of being a mark. Support the people and the future of the game by refusing to pay Peacock any money. Hopefully they lose their azz and we can have football return to the way it's been televised for the last half century.

I respect that. Wish more people had the common sense to say no. 

• Like 1

It’s ridiculous, for sure.  It does look like it’s going air live on a local channel in KC but not Mia.  The most annoying thing about the NFL has been Taylor Swift, and I would not put it past the NFL thinking they can get more people to pay for this game on TV because she’ll be there all over the camera.  I’m so glad she’s leaving the country in November.  The NFL has lost sight of their target audience with all the drama.  Just like the Hamlin stuff last year.  Yes, the dude had a serious injury but they acted like he rose from the dead.  I saw this all the time…the NFL blew up because of fantasy football.

• Like 2

They will get more people to pay, it’s also the reason why the nfl is being taken away from true fans, more games in other countries, over seas a, talking about a team over seas.  Those people will pay.  Betting, FF is a big reason why most are still interested in this poor product.  

I feel bad for fans, true fans who live and die with their teams, but yet those fans are losing home games so that they can play games else were, nfl is smart that know to continue making the money they have been making they need to expand.  

Sorry fans but it’s never going to be the same.  Once I’m done with ff I won’t be paying attention to the game at all.  

https://www.newspressnow.com/news/local_news/chiefs-playoff-game-will-not-be-aired-locally/article_b430a740-af02-11ee-986f-7f3b50442548.html

Chiefs playoff game will not be aired locally

News-Press NOW

JAN 9, 2024 Updated 37 MIN AGO

In a move designed to push more viewers to its streaming service, NBC announced that the playoff game between the Miami Dolphins and Kansas City Chiefs will be shown mostly on the network’s Peacock service.

The game will be on played Saturday, Jan. 13, at GEHA Field at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City. Game time is at 7 p.m.

The NBC affiliates in the two teams’ home markets also will air the game. In Kansas City, the game will be shown on KSHB and it will appear on NBC6 in Miami. Since St. Joseph is considered an adjacent market, the game will not be shown on KNPG.

According to a story in The Athletic, NBC paid $110 million to air the game and it’s the first time a playoff game will be streamed. Peacock has streamed regular season games and The Athletic said the Dec. 23 game between the Buffalo Bills and Los Angeles Chargers pulled an audience of between 7. and 8.4 million viewers.

“Of course, we’re disappointed in NBC’s decision,” said KNPG General Manager Stacey Hill. “Our viewers have come to rely on us for Chiefs’ games and Chiefs news. Unfortunately, this decision was made by the network and we’re obligated to abide by it.”

Hill did say that News-Press NOW’s stations, FOX26 KNPN, NBC21 KNPG and CBS30 KCJO, will carry several playoff games in the coming weeks. This year’s Super Bowl, played Feb. 11 at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas, will be broadcast on CBS30 KCJO.

This sucks.  Not for me, I'll manage.  But what about your dads and grandads, who were watching football ion the 70's and 80's, who have been following this team a long time, and care?  Those who don't own smart TVs.  Those who don't have internet connectivity.  Who could manage riding a peacock in the middle of Missouri easier than they could manage figuring out how to get to a Peacock broadcast of the game?  This sucks for them, and this is a travstey.

I'm 60 miles from Arrowhead Stadium, and my local affiliates are not going to pick up the broadcast for us.

• Like 1

Just sent this to my season ticket email address:

This is a travesty.  Not for me, I'll manage.  In addition to being a STM, even if I were to stay home I'm able to get the subscription to watch if I needed to.

But this is a disservice to your community of St. Joseph.  Imagine all the dads and granddads who have been with you since the 70's and 80's, diehard Chiefs fans who have been with you through all the highs and lows.  They have spent many afternoons and evenings at Arrowhead over the years.  They watch their Chiefs faithfully.  But maybe they don't have a Smart TV.  They probably don't have any sort of internet connection.  They definitely don't know how to navigate a subscription with Peacock.  And that's who you are forgetting.  In an age when we are rightfully focused on equity, diversity and inclusion, this decision is at it's core, disproportionately impacting your aging Americans.  And I hope you understand the impact of this.

Sincerely, 

STM #16630339

• Like 1

Pretty sure they only care about 18-40 year olds 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

Just sent this to my season ticket email address:

You should have included the awesome "could manage riding a peacock in the middle of Missouri easier than they could manage figuring out how to get to a Peacock broadcast of the game" line.

Football in general has become a huge revenue generator, and the money is driving the boat.  It’s not just the NFL either.  The NCAA jumping an inferior team over FSU who earned the spot, and both Ga and Ohio State which were better teams, just because said inferior team generates more revenue.  Not only that, but they called Saban just before the announcement to let him know they were in, and to ask his team to react appropriately considering the situation. Go back and watch the golf claps in the Bama room they were filming.  

On 1/8/2024 at 11:58 AM, IGotWorms said:

I won’t be watching either. I pay for Sunday ticket too, but this is a bridge too far. Fock off NFL and NBC :thumbsdown:

I thought sunday ticket guaranteed you get to watch any NFL game that is on TV no matter when or where it is played.    was I wrong in my understanding?

in theory you should get the game with sunday ticket

4 hours ago, Ray_T said:

I thought sunday ticket guaranteed you get to watch any NFL game that is on TV no matter when or where it is played.    was I wrong in my understanding?

in theory you should get the game with sunday ticket

Pretty sure it’s regular season only 

3 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

Pretty sure it’s regular season only 

thats a rip off. only reason I'd even entertain getting it is if I got the playoffs as well.

either way, I dont have it.  not the end of the world.

11 hours ago, Ray_T said:

thats a rip off. only reason I'd even entertain getting it is if I got the playoffs as well.

either way, I dont have it.  not the end of the world.

Playoffs have never been an issue until now. Thanks NBC :thumbsdown:

1)  Sign up for Peacock Trail for $6

2)  Watch game

3)  Cancel trial

4)  Call Credit card company and report Peacock transaction as fraud

• Like 1

Great chance to ween yourself off of the nonsense NFL.  I barely watch any games anymore, end to end.  Way too many stoppages, ads, breaks and dicking around.  Ya know what works great?  The YouTube highlights. You see a lot of plays and chunks of drives, not just scoring plays or big plays.  Yes, there are a few unskippable ads jammed in there but I feel thats good enough for me.  Wait until its all on streaming.  I dont care - I have a 500+ 4K and blu-ray disc collection to keep me busy on bad weather Sundays.  Then, highlights later.  Fine with me, Roger. 

2 hours ago, Mufaletta said:

1)  Sign up for Peacock Trail for $6

2)  Watch game

3)  Cancel trial

4)  Call Credit card company and report Peacock transaction as fraud

I’m boycotting the game. Hope the ratings are focking pathetic

59 minutes ago, RoadLizard said:

Great chance to ween yourself off of the nonsense NFL.  I barely watch any games anymore, end to end.  Way too many stoppages, ads, breaks and dicking around.  Ya know what works great?  The YouTube highlights. You see a lot of plays and chunks of drives, not just scoring plays or big plays.  Yes, there are a few unskippable ads jammed in there but I feel thats good enough for me.  Wait until its all on streaming.  I dont care - I have a 500+ 4K and blu-ray disc collection to keep me busy on bad weather Sundays.  Then, highlights later.  Fine with me, Roger. 

Nice.  

5 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

I’m boycotting the game. Hope the ratings are focking pathetic

Kind of the same thing, but you'll have to hope peacock new subscribers are pathetic.  If peacock gets a bunch of new subscribers, they'll call this a success keep doing it.

According to this peacock had 30M subscribers in December.  If I assume 2/3rds of those subscribers watched the game, that would imply about 3M new signups just for this game. 

Let's say it's even 1M new subscribers; they'll never let that go.  Out of that 1M, you can figure 400k are probably sticky.  That's too profitable to not have cbs to copy the model at least.

47 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

NBC Peacock paid the NFL $110 million for the game though.

Holy shìt... For real?  

I guess it makes sense.  Between ads and the subscriptions they might come out even.

1 hour ago, nobody said:

Holy shìt... For real?  

I guess it makes sense.  Between ads and the subscriptions they might come out even.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/inside-nbc-s-110-million-peacock-nfl-playoff-game-gamble/ar-AA1mOhvp

I also read they grabbed B1G Basketball and Football. I wasn't able to watch Nebraska upset #1 Purdue last week. Peacock will have exclusive rights to 8 B!G football games in 2024.

Whether you love, loathe, or are indifferent to streaming live sports, it’s soon to become a necessity for some college and pro football fans — much like it has been for soccer fans for years in the United States.

When the Big Ten and the major TV networks announced $8 billion worth of media rights deals on Aug. 18, it was quickly evident that the conference was following the NFL’s lead by toe-dipping into streaming-only options that can appeal to coveted tech-savvy younger fans who consume live sports differently than older generations.

The Big Ten’s deal with NBC — reported at about $350 million a year from 2023-29 — includes eight football games to exclusively stream each fall on the network’s Peacock direct-to-consumer service that’s $5 or $10 a month.

That naturally raises an important question for Big Ten fans: Which games will end up solely on Peacock versus what is on the NBC television network (and simul-streamed on Peacock)?

Rick Cordella, Peacock’s executive vice president and chief revenue officer, explained to The Athletic on Tuesday the process to decide which games will go on traditional broadcast and cable TV and which will be streaming-only games when the deal begins in 2023, something that will include consultation with the Big Ten.

Network executives will consider potential direct linear TV ad revenue versus the subscription gain possibility for any given game, he said. Hovering over that is the question: Will those new Peacock subscribers lured in by Big Ten streaming also stick around to view other content, or will they cancel after the game or season?

It's only $6.00 a month. I purchased it for the stretch run and will cancel it after this months subscription is up.