Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Why California's ban on plastic bags, backfired

🤡

I remember reading about that.  People buy the reusable bag that take 10x more resources to make then forget them at home.  The environment goes to sh1t faster and the grocery chains make millions selling bags.  But the leftists feel good so that is something. 

1 minute ago, Bill E. said:

I remember reading about that.  People buy the reusable bag that take 10x more resources to make then forget them at home.  The environment goes to sh1t faster and the grocery chains make millions selling bags.  But the leftists feel good so that is something. 

If you remember, it was the leftists who gave us the plastic bag in the first place back in the 70's to help "save the environment".  :lol:

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Bill E. said:

Name one thing Newsome has done that wasn't dumb?

I thought this was solved 10 years ago, or there abouts, with the advent of cornstarch based shopping bags.  What happened?  too expensive?

Just now, edjr said:

He has positioned himself to be the next Head Bartender of the Socialit Party when Joe finally drops.  That is all I could think of. 

11 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

If you remember, it was the leftists who gave us the plastic bag in the first place back in the 70's to help "save the environment".  :lol:

Did not know that.  Save the trees I'll bet. 

“We’re so self-important. Everybody’s going to save something now. “Save the trees, save the bees, save the whales, save those snails.” And the greatest arrogance of all: save the planet. Save the planet, we don’t even know how to take care of ourselves yet. I’m tired of this . I’m tired of f-ing Earth Day. I’m tired of these self-righteous environmentalists, these white, bourgeois liberals who think the only thing wrong with this country is that there aren’t enough bicycle paths. People trying to make the world safe for Volvos. Besides, environmentalists don’t give a about the planet. Not in the abstract they don’t. You know what they’re interested in? A clean place to live. Their own habitat. They’re worried that some day in the future they might be personally inconvenienced. Narrow, unenlightened self-interest doesn’t impress me.

The planet has been through a lot worse than us. Been through earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics, continental drift, solar flares, sun spots, magnetic storms, the magnetic reversal of the poles … hundreds of thousands of years of bombardment by comets and asteroids and meteors, worldwide floods, tidal waves, worldwide fires, erosion, cosmic rays, recurring ice ages … And we think some plastic bags and some aluminum cans are going to make a difference? The planet isn’t going anywhere. WE are!

We’re going away. Pack your , folks. We’re going away. And we won’t leave much of a trace, either. Maybe a little Styrofoam … The planet’ll be here and we’ll be long gone. Just another failed mutation. Just another closed-end biological mistake. An evolutionary cul-de-sac. The planet’ll shake us off like a bad case of fleas.

The planet will be here for a long, long, LONG time after we’re gone, and it will heal itself, it will cleanse itself, ’cause that’s what it does. It’s a self-correcting system. The air and the water will recover, the earth will be renewed. And if it’s true that plastic is not degradable, well, the planet will simply incorporate plastic into a new paradigm: the earth plus plastic. The earth doesn’t share our prejudice toward plastic. Plastic came out of the earth. The earth probably sees plastic as just another one of its children. Could be the only reason the earth allowed us to be spawned from it in the first place. It wanted plastic for itself. Didn’t know how to make it. Needed us. Could be the answer to our age-old egocentric philosophical question, “Why are we here?”

Plastic… .”

George Carlin 2006

• Haha 1

I don’t mind re-usable bags, it’s easier to pack and carry than the usual paper and plastic. But it’s pretty stupid that I have to use recyclable bags but I can buy fruits, vegetables etc. that are out of season and flown across the world to my store. As usual only the customer is inconvenienced.

• Like 1

My local has no plastic bags.  Yet they have those thin plastic bags in the fruit/vegetable section.  

Make it make sense 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MDC said:

I don’t mind re-usable bags, it’s easier to pack and carry than the usual paper and plastic. But it’s pretty stupid that I have to use recyclable bags but I can buy fruits, vegetables etc. that are out of season and flown across the world to my store. As usual only the customer is inconvenienced.

I do not care either way but  I forget my cellphone and wallet half the time so remembering to pack a bag is something I will never do.  Here in GA it is not a problem.  We love single use plastic bags but when I visit PA most of the stores make you buy a bag for $.10.  And that is fine but they give you a shitty paper bag with handles that break if you have anything substantial in them.

6 minutes ago, MDC said:

I remember when Covid 1st started. They took the plastic bags for fruit and veggies away. :lol: :doh: 

1 minute ago, Bill E. said:

I do not care either way but  I forget my cellphone and wallet half the time so remembering to pack a bag is something I will never do.  

100% I actually have them in the car and still forget them

• Like 1

1 minute ago, edjr said:

I remember when Covid 1st started. They took the plastic bags for fruit and veggies away. :lol: :doh: 

Not here.  I hear people had to use them for tp. 

Why California's ban on plastic bag ban backfired”

did they ban plastic bags?  Or ban banning them?

1 minute ago, TimHauck said:

Why California's ban on plastic bag ban backfired”

did they ban plastic bags?  Or ban banning them?

TY

9 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

My local has no plastic bags.  Yet they have those thin plastic bags in the fruit/vegetable section.  

Make it make sense 

Those are what the took away during covid. Had to carry potatoes and tomatoes in your arms :doh: 

We should never forget that the typical politician has never done much in the real world, they hold less wisdom than the cashier at a supermarket....they consistently do dumb things that hurt us under the guise of "making things better"....when the world would be better if they never did a damb thing...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

LOL, I just posted the same thing... then deleted when I saw yours.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Just now, TBayXXXVII said:

LOL, I just posted the same thing... then deleted when I saw yours.  :thumbsup:

I bet.....if you look hard enough....you will find Democrats blaming Republicans....😁

1 hour ago, Engorgeous George said:

I thought this was solved 10 years ago, or there abouts, with the advent of cornstarch based shopping bags.  What happened?  too expensive?

My guess is that the right people weren't able to make enough money from it.

4 minutes ago, RLLD said:

I bet.....if you look hard enough....you will find Democrats blaming Republicans....😁

Oh, no doubt.

50 minutes ago, RLLD said:

We should never forget that the typical politician has never done much in the real world, they hold less wisdom than the cashier at a supermarket....they consistently do dumb things that hurt us under the guise of "making things better"....when the world would be better if they never did a damb thing...

I concur.

1 hour ago, Bill E. said:

I live in Southern California and see people bringing their own bags all the time to the market (I always bring my own bags). 

1 hour ago, Bill E. said:

Did not know that.  Save the trees I'll bet. 

Yup.  They claimed at the rate we were going, in something like 50 years the world would have no trees or some crap like that.  Well, over the next 50 years, we've tripled our paper production and we're perfectly fine.  In some areas, we're over forested.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We use plastic bags from the grocery store to scoop our cat litter into.  If they stopped providing them, I'd have to find a place online to buy them in bulk. :dunno: 

12 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

We use plastic bags from the grocery store to scoop our cat litter into.  If they stopped providing them, I'd have to find a place online to buy them in bulk. :dunno: 

You never hear libs want to ban dog poop bags :dunno:  what are those made of?

18 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

We did the same thing re: using them for the cat litter.  This is exactly what we had to do after CO banned them. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Strike said:

I think my favorite thing about the plastic bag ban scam is that it's put so many people at risk of getting sick:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/01/06/reusable-grocery-bag-germs/4341739/

How often do YOU wash your reusable bags?

I use it as a mask in a pinch

• Haha 2

I thought they also came back during the pandemic? 

I remembered that there were just paper and "bring your own" before the pandemic and now it's back to "paper or plastic" and they charge you 10 cents a bag? 

Target and Walmart also had the cloth-reusables for a while and now they are back to plastic too... 

6 hours ago, MDC said:

I love when they give you a paper straw in a plastic wrapper. That's the best. 

13 hours ago, edjr said:

Select a barber.

8 hours ago, Voltaire said:

Select a barber.

That Son Of A Biatch does have good hair! Damn him! 

23 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Make it make sense 

I grab like 20 of those and put all my groceries in them. No charge and proves a point