Sign in to follow this  
Mike Honcho

Majority of Americans wrongly believe US is in recession

Guardian

The poll highlighted many misconceptions people have about the economy, including:

55% believe the economy is shrinking, and 56% think the US is experiencing a recession, though the broadest measure of the economy, gross domestic product (GDP), has been growing.

49% believe the S&P 500 stock market index is down for the year, though the index went up about 24% in 2023 and is up more than 12% this year.

49% believe that unemployment is at a 50-year high, though the unemployment rate has been under 4%, a near 50-year low.

Many Americans put the blame on Biden for the state of the economy, with 58% of those polled saying the economy is worsening due to mismanagement from the presidential administration.

The poll underscored people’s complicated emotions around inflation. The vast majority of respondents, 72%, indicated they think inflation is increasing. In reality, the rate of inflation has fallen sharply from its post-Covid peak of 9.1% and has been fluctuating between 3% and 4% a year.

In April, the inflation rate went down from 3.5% to 3.4% – far from inflation’s 40-year peak of 9.1% in June 2022 – triggering a stock market rally that pushed the Dow Jones index to a record high.

Speaking of uninformed.  Yikes. 

4 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

This is what they are told everyday on Fox News and by the republican party.  Very few people are actually going to look at the data.  Hell I just posted this morning the jobs numbers between Obama, Trump and Biden that show Trump on the bottom, and idiots like @RLLD call it a lie.

When you ignore facts and just believe lies someone tells you, you're focked.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GutterBoy said:

This is what they are told everyday on Fox News and by the republican party.  Very few people are actually going to look at the data.  Hell I just posted this morning the jobs numbers between Obama, Trump and Biden that show Trump on the bottom, and idiots like @RLLD call it a lie.

This is a spot on statement.....which is why we can never believe a word from Bidens mouth....things like inflation is not so bad, is not happening or is transitory were despicable and destructive lies.

So when MSM  tries to tell you everything is fine, and you feel great, ignoring what is happening to the majority of the people....well, you are focked....but not just in terms of your lack of knowledge and awareness....but what happens later....

Y'know, like that time I said the real estate market was a load of crap, and homes were not selling for what they were worth....you tried this same schtick back then....and when those chickens came home to roost....you were over in the sanctuary crying like a little b!tch because your investments were all the sudden impacted....everything for you was fine and dandy until the way you thought came back to you....like a coward you suddenly became the victim

If you presume that Bidens mismanagement is a victimless crime, think again....you might find yourself back in b!tch-mode before you know, and you can pretend to be a victim again....for something you defended.....

Hopefully, I can be there again to laugh at you

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RLLD said:

This is a spot on statement.....which is why we can never believe a word from Bidens mouth....things like inflation is not so bad, is not happening or is transitory were despicable and destructive lies.

So when MSM  tries to tell you everything is fine, and you feel great, ignoring what is happening to the majority of the people....well, you are focked....but not just in terms of your lack of knowledge and awareness....but what happens later....

Y'know, like that time I said the real estate market was a load of crap, and homes were not selling for what they were worth....you tried this same schtick back then....and when those chickens came home to roost....you were over in the sanctuary crying like a little b!tch because your investments were all the sudden impacted....everything for you was fine and dandy until the way you thought came back to you....like a coward you suddenly became the victim

If you presume that Bidens mismanagement is a victimless crime, think again....you might find yourself back in b!tch-mode before you know, and you can pretend to be a victim again....for something you defended.....

Hopefully, I can be there again to laugh at you

holy sh1t dude, going back 15 years and another forum trying to flex?  How insecure are you?  For the record, I knew it was a housing bubble and was going to burst.  What I didn't know was the contagion in the financial sector and yeah I lost a bunch of money.  You didn't know either or else you would have pulled a Burry and be retired now.

You got the balls to talk about facts?

2017 - 2019 Trump jobs: 6.4M

2013- 2016 Obama jobs: 8M

Biden jobs since we recovered all the covid jobs (2 years): 6.4M

So you're telling me the best economy in decades created less jobs than the 3 years before, and the 2 years after covid?

14 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

This guy is phonier than red hair on an Asian.  

3 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

holy sh1t dude, going back 15 years and another forum trying to flex?  How insecure are you?  For the record, I knew it was a housing bubble and was going to burst.  What I didn't know was the contagion in the financial sector and yeah I lost a bunch of money.  You didn't know either or else you would have pulled a Burry and be retired now.

You got the balls to talk about facts?

So you're telling me the best economy in decades created less jobs than the 3 years before, and the 2 years after covid?

I did, its an important point to bring up.  You are the one who wants to ignore reality, pluck out metrics that support the lies you want to tell yourself, and others....with no regard for who that might harm.  Then later, when that harm comes back to you....you pretend you are somehow the victim, when in reality you were the guy supporting the people and policies that turned on you.  You weren't the victom....you were the scum that pretended it was all fine, until you felt pain....like a coward.

Biden has ruthlessly harmed us, and people are done, and i am confident he has harmed enough people for long enough that we get back the one thing that was working for us, Trump policies....

All this bluster to dig up irrelevant points that are being misused to pretend things were not good isnt working, importantly....it hasnt manipulated the lower classes....then know its a lie

5 minutes ago, RLLD said:

I did, its an important point to bring up.  You are the one who wants to ignore reality, pluck out metrics that support the lies you want to tell yourself, and others....with no regard for who that might harm.  Then later, when that harm comes back to you....you pretend you are somehow the victim, when in reality you were the guy supporting the people and policies that turned on you.  You weren't the victom....you were the scum that pretended it was all fine, until you felt pain....like a coward.

Biden has ruthlessly harmed us, and people are done, and i am confident he has harmed enough people for long enough that we get back the one thing that was working for us, Trump policies....

All this bluster to dig up irrelevant points that are being misused to pretend things were not good isnt working, importantly....it hasnt manipulated the lower classes....then know its a lie

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

I am telling you that we enjoyed the best economy in decades as I stated in the other thread, and that Trump's job created was better than Bidens....because the Biden numbers are being misrepresented, as CNN called out.  SO yeah, Trump was far better for us than Biden, moreover without COVID, Biden would have not needed to pretend he created jobs that were actually just people going back to work.

Biden has wrecked things, and the weird thing is that he really did not have to, 

11 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

2017 - 2019 Trump jobs: 6.4M  (6.4m/3yrs = 2.13m/yr)

2013- 2016 Obama jobs: 8M  (8m/4yrs = 2m/yr)

Last time I checked, 2.13m > 2m

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I thought the economy and jobs were just fine during the Trump years.  I did not like how is tariffs hurts farmers though.  He put a lot of farmers out of business with that.

19 minutes ago, RLLD said:

I am telling you that we enjoyed the best economy in decades as I stated in the other thread, and that Trump's job created was better than Bidens....because the Biden numbers are being misrepresented, as CNN called out.  SO yeah, Trump was far better for us than Biden, moreover without COVID, Biden would have not needed to pretend he created jobs that were actually just people going back to work.

Biden has wrecked things, and the weird thing is that he really did not have to, 

My numbers exclude covid, nice try.

More evidence that the Geek Club can’t read.

People hung up on the recession argument but 49% think unemployment is at a 50 year high??? Wtf???

4 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

My numbers exclude covid, nice try.

Not buying that for a moment lol, I have already seen those numbers elsewhere, and they are part of it.....when Pelosi was pinned down on her lie watching her squirm was delightful, but you do you, it matters little....I have every reason we can get Biden out the door, and get back to good common sense policy.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, RLLD said:

Not buying that for a moment lol, I have already seen those numbers elsewhere, and they are part of it.....when Pelosi was pinned down on her lie watching her squirm was delightful, but you do you, it matters little....I have every reason we can get Biden out the door, and get back to good common sense policy.

Official govt numbers: https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/CES0000000001?output_view=net_1mth

You're saying these numbers are wrong.  You have better numbers. :lol:

1 minute ago, GutterBoy said:

Official govt numbers: https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/CES0000000001?output_view=net_1mth

You're saying these numbers are wrong.  You have better numbers. :lol:

I am saying you think they are excluding COVID, but those are still baked in.... and no matter how hard you try to reframe it, as Democrats are doing here and there, it isnt working....what you are selling, people are no longer buying,.

30 minutes ago, RLLD said:

Shocked that Gutterboy can't understand this.  Democrats are so stupid.

Just now, RLLD said:

I am saying you think they are excluding COVID, but those are still baked in.... and no matter how hard you try to reframe it, as Democrats are doing here and there, it isnt working....what you are selling, people are no longer buying,.

Again, COVID WAS 2020.

2014- 2016 Obama jobs: 8M

Covid job losses and respective gains have been excluded.  The Biden job numbers are AFTER the covid jobs were recovered.

Biden jobs full term: 15M, Biden jobs removing jobs lost and regained during covid: 6.4M

32 minutes ago, RLLD said:

When Trump left office the economy was not good. He spent the last few months on the job crying the election was stolen.

Just now, GutterBoy said:

Again, COVID WAS 2020.

2014- 2016 Obama jobs: 8M

Covid job losses and respective gains have been excluded.  The Biden job numbers are AFTER the covid jobs were recovered.

Biden jobs full term: 15M, Biden jobs removing jobs lost and regained during covid: 6.4M

I tend to trust the WSJ more than your regurgitation of political propaganda

2 minutes ago, thegeneral said:

When Trump left office the economy was not good. He spent the last few months on the job crying the election was stolen.

It was very good, and notably for the lower classes and disproportionately for the AA community.   That you would prefer this not be true is part and parcel of Democrat doctrine.

4 minutes ago, thegeneral said:

I don't remember the economy being all that bad other than covid happening.

1 hour ago, Mike Honcho said:

1 hour ago, GutterBoy said:

2 idiots right off the bat.

The market is not the economy.  Let that soak in a bit.  The reason 1/2 polled feel the way they do is because they are WORSE off NOW than they WERE BEFORE

• Like 2

It was very good, and notably for the lower classes and disproportionately for the AA community.   That you would prefer this not be true is part and parcel of Democrat doctrine.

Government was stroking checks keeping everyone happy. We can try going back to that, some UBI.

We are not in a recession which is what people are misinformed about. 

3 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

The market is not the economy.  Let that soak in a bit.  The reason 1/2 polled feel the way they do is because they are WORSE off NOW than they WERE BEFORE

Well 49% also believed the S&P 500 was down for the year, so there’s that 

4 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

It was great.   People trying to live today find the going rather difficult, which is what trotting out things like " the GDP"" just pisses them off.... 

Biden missed the change to deal adequately with inflation, as well as the opportunity to blame it on Trump when it was clearly happening, instead he lied....people made financial decisions based on his lie.   Later he lied again....calling it transitory, and again not blaming trump, odd eh?   That lie also found people making financial decisions based on a falsehood.....

Now he lies about inheriting inflation, and celebrates its slowing....which was in fact just the Fed firefighting the economy away from his stupid mistakes, and by the way only slowed it to a place where it is still too high...

What Democrats fail to understand with their menial economy mental acuity is that once you create inflation, you cannot simply turn it off.....it is a tax mostly on the lower classes....for years....

3 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

It's fine to feel worse off, but to ignore facts is just being ignorant.  You can accept that the stock market is up, unemployment is low and the economy is growing, yet still feel like you're being squeezed due to the CPI climbing 20% in 2 years.  That was quite the shock.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, thegeneral said:

Government was stroking checks keeping everyone happy. We can try going back to that, some UBI.

We are not in a recession which is what people are misinformed about. 

The legislation they pushed through was akin to gasoline on a fire, many people warned about this, but they did it anyway because....y'know, fock the people.....I think few people appreciate that when Manchin stopped him from really focking us over, he effectively saved Biden....

Just now, RLLD said:

People trying to live today find the going rather difficult

In my area this doesn't seem to be true but my area doesn't represent the rest of the country.  Are the majority of people struggling or is it more so the young people fresh out of college?

So, just to be clear, a UK based newspaper is telling Americans that what they're seeing and experiencing isn't real?  That's what our board lefties are going with?   

You're going to try and say everything is fantastic because you're hung up on a single word and the fact that some may be confusing "recession" with "this sucks, we're suffering" just so you can say, "GOTCHA!   Hah!  Hah!  Everything's great because you're using the wrong word!!!!"?

Gotta love the libs.  A lot of people are struggling to put food on the table but all the libs care about is if those people properly respond to a question about whether we are technically in a recession.  So empathetic those libs are!!!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

Well 49% also believed the S&P 500 was down for the year, so there’s that 

If they aren't well enough off to have money invested they would not know or frankly, care.

11 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

It was a good economy. Then Covid came along and it wasn’t. That didn’t just end in Jan 2021.

The legislation they pushed through was akin to gasoline on a fire, many people warned about this, but they did it anyway because....y'know, fock the people.....I think few people appreciate that when Manchin stopped him from really focking us over, he effectively saved Biden....

There was plenty pushed through with Donald in charge. People want to feel no pain. The economy was not doing well in 2020 after Covid hit.

Again we are not in recession. Inflation is a huge problem. Our economy is doing pretty well though.

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

In my area this doesn't seem to be true but my area doesn't represent the rest of the country.  Are the majority of people struggling or is it more so the young people fresh out of college?

The harm is disproportionately hitting the lower classes.  If you have means, are affluent, you find it rather good.   Its an economy for the elites at the expense of the lower classes.

4 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

It's fine to feel worse off, but to ignore facts is just being ignorant.  You can accept that the stock market is up, unemployment is low and the economy is growing, yet still feel like you're being squeezed due to the CPI climbing 20% in 2 years.  That was quite the shock.

Oh, ok.

4 minutes ago, Strike said:

Gotta love the libs.  A lot of people are struggling to put food on the table but all the libs care about is if those people properly respond to a question about whether we are technically in a recession.  So empathetic those libs are!!!

Lol, did I nail it or did I nail it?

34 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

More evidence that the Geek Club can’t read.

People hung up on the recession argument but 49% think unemployment is at a 50 year high??? Wtf???

1 minute ago, RLLD said:

The harm is disproportionately hitting the lower classes.  If you have means, are affluent, you find it rather good.   Its an economy for the elites at the expense of the lower classes.

Aren't there still a lot of jobs available though?  I feel like people try living above their means more than ever right now.

• Thanks 1