Sign in to follow this  
IGotWorms

Teens charged with murder after dropping rocks off highway overpass

When we were kids, they had houses that set on this four lane road and it was very dark at night. One of them had a pecan tree on the side of it. On Friday nights we'd sneak back there and throw pecans at cars. Nobody ever got hurt, but a few people would slam on their brakes almost causing cars behind them to wreck. Had one guy leave his car and chase one my friends for blocks. Guy kept screaming "I'm gonna kill you you little motherfawker!!!"

• Like 1

I am a big advocate for people being charged for the act itself and not the result of said act.

If you punch someone in the face in a bar and they get up and walk away, it should be no different that if you punch someone in the face, they slip and fall into the corner of a table and die.

Why should luck or bad luck be part of it?

So if I put on a blindfold and spin around and around firing bullets in a crowd, and get lucky and dont hit anyone, I shouldnt be charged with attempted murder?

The law holds that the reasonable effects of your actions are intended.

If you throw a punch, you know there is a reasonable chance he doesnt ever get up. If you drop a six pound rock on a moving car...

Good charge. These kids intentionally did something any reasonable person would know is likely to cause death. Murder it is.

By saying they were white. :dunno:

They are probably fairly well off also. Can we start the class debate?

Why do you have to divide everything into groups and pit them against each other? You are a sad person.

Why do you have to divide everything into groups and pit them against each other? You are a sad person.

Finally phurfur and I agree on something :wub:

This. We all threw things at cars as kids, but most weren't likely to cause an accident.

I threw eggs and little rocks (the size you skip on a lake) at cars in my elementary days. Broke a window once on a BMW and got a good ass-whooping from Dad afterwards, also had to pay for replacement. Learned my lesson.

If anyone is throwing this rock off an overpass, they deserve prison time, regardless of injuries to passerby. Kill someone? Maximum punishment for manslaughter in that state.

I never threw at cars. Maybe snowballs at thr school buses that is about it.

If you are dropping 20lb rocks downn onto cars for a chuckle just so you can casually walk away then lock you up. Idiots. Throw the book at them.

If anyone is throwing this rock off an overpass, they deserve prison time, regardless of injuries to passerby. Kill someone? Maximum punishment for manslaughter in that state.

How about if they threw this rock instead off an overpass instead?

I seem to have brought you and Worms together. Jimmy Carter couldn't do that. :thumbsup:

My opinion on the kids. The sentence is 10-15. Out in 5-7. What a horrible time for their families.

So if I put on a blindfold and spin around and around firing bullets in a crowd, and get lucky and dont hit anyone, I shouldnt be charged with attempted murder?

No, that is exactly what you should be charged with.

Should you happen to kill someone, you should still be charged with attempted murder

This one carries the added risk of transmitting the virus that leads to teh AIDS. :shocking:

I'm pretty sure his empty lifeless bones don't hold that disease.

My opinion on the kids. The sentence is 10-15. Out in 5-7. What a horrible time for their families.

25 years for the actual kid that threw the rock..........10 for all the accomplices.

you guys are focking insane

you guys are off your ROCKer

What do you guys think?
I mean, I did some pretty stupid sh1t when I was that age...but this is something different.

So very sad for all involved, especially the man that died.

This is an example of bad decisions gone horribly wrong. I grew up with a group of kids that used to throw snowballs at cars every winter and am thankful nobody got hurt. We could have caused an accident, or gave someone a heart attack. Some of those guys actually chased us down and could have killed any one of us.

Stupid kids that don't know any better. :(

So very sad for all involved, especially the man that died.

This is an example of bad decisions gone horribly wrong. I grew up with a group of kids that used to throw snowballs at cars every winter and am thankful nobody got hurt. We could have caused an accident, or gave someone a heart attack. Some of those guys actually chased us down and could have killed any one of us.

Stupid kids that don't know any better. :(

I remember throwing lit firecrackers off an overpass at cars. We are lucky we didnt hurt someone too. I doubt these kids intended to kill anybody but but that was the outcome and now they have to be held accountable.

• Like 1

We are talking snowballs vs 20lb rocks. If you want to F around throw a snowball or an egg. Dropping big rocks down on cars is trying to damage cars at the least. Knowing they could go right through a windshield.

Animals

To those who don't think these kids deserve a very long prison term, you've got to be kidding me. FTA:

The driver told police he had to pass four other vehicles, which were disabled on the side of the road because of rocks, before he could pull over to get help for his friend.

Police said the group threw a tire and about 20 rocks, one weighing 20 pounds, off two overpasses that night, damaging several vehicles. After throwing the rock that killed White, the teens left the overpass and went to a McDonalds to eat

Even if we attribute this to just kids making bad decisions, and trust me I made my fair share when I was that age, after the first or second car had to pull over due to damage from the rocks you realize it's a really bad idea. The fact that they continued to do it just means they basically were going to continue until someone DID get hurt or worse, which happened.

We threw apples and snowballs at cars when we were kids but once we turn 16 and could drive we had much better things to do.

To those who don't think these kids deserve a very long prison term, you've got to be kidding me. FTA:

Even if we attribute this to just kids making bad decisions, and trust me I made my fair share when I was that age, after the first or second car had to pull over due to damage from the rocks you realize it's a really bad idea. The fact that they continued to do it just means they basically were going to continue until someone DID get hurt or worse, which happened.

would make me to want to keep doing it

you people are living in the clouds

We had a saying when we were young, “The consequences aren’t that bad” and that is how gauged our actions.