Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Which QB of the top 5 in the draft, will have the best career?

Best career  

39 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which QB of the top 5 in the draft, will have the best career?

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/20/2022 at 05:38 PM

Stafford didn't have any trouble playing at a franchise qb level for the Lions. Rodney Peete got the Lions to the playoffs. Joey Harrington was an NFL bust, and I don't blame that on the Detroit Lions it's on him.

what has Stafford accomplished outside of fantasy numbers?

Can't see the Browns taking an RB after signing Hyde and then taking the third best QB at 4.

They could trade with Giants and go 1-2, getting the QB and Chubb or Barkley, but I still don't see an RB. That's a lot of money to tie up in one position.

Carlos Hyde is pretty average at best and a lot of people seem to think Barkley is this generational runningback, although I think that term is terribly overused.

also, you have no idea that they would be picking the third best QB. It would be the 3rd QB off the board but could just as easily be the best QB.

Also Im not saying they will do it or even that they should do it, but if ever there was a situation to do it, the Browns are in that perfect situation with the additions already made on offense and the fact that there is no clear cut top QB in this class.

If the Browns dont take a QB the next two picks are absolutely quarterbacks, which means theyre getting possibly their 3rd best prospect at 4 - nope. They are 100% going QB. They are therefore assured one of Chubb or Barkley at 4. I dont think Hyde is good enough to cack block Barkley but adding Chubb to that DL would be huge. I wouldnt be stunned if the Browns win 6-7 games this year.

If the Browns dont take a QB the next two picks are absolutely quarterbacks, which means theyre getting possibly their 3rd best prospect at 4 - nope. They are 100% going QB. They are therefore assured one of Chubb or Barkley at 4. I dont think Hyde is good enough to cack block Barkley but adding Chubb to that DL would be huge. I wouldnt be stunned if the Browns win 6-7 games this year.

i also believe they take a QB BUT, the way this QB class is, its not impossible to fathom that they have similar grades on more than 1 guy, in which case if they really like Barkley head and shoulders above anyone else, I think they are set up perfectly to do something unique like take him at 1. If the Giants then take Darnold and the Jets take Mayfield, they might get Allen who many "experts" have them picking at #1 anyway.......

that was really my point.

If I were them, I probably take a QB #1 so I can trade #4 to a QB needy team like the Bills for example, pick up another 1st rounder in the process and use those next two picks to address corner (Fitzpatrick?) and some offensive line help with Joe Thomas gone.

i also believe they take a QB BUT, the way this QB class is, its not impossible to fathom that they have similar grades on more than 1 guy, in which case if they really like Barkley head and shoulders above anyone else, I think they are set up perfectly to do something unique like take him at 1. If the Giants then take Darnold and the Jets take Mayfield, they might get Allen who many "experts" have them picking at #1 anyway.......

that was really my point.

If I were them, I probably take a QB #1 so I can trade #4 to a QB needy team like the Bills for example, pick up another 1st rounder in the process and use those next two picks to address corner (Fitzpatrick?) and some offensive line help with Joe Thomas gone.

If I am the Browns I would gamble on Barkley being there sooner than I would gamble on my top graded QB being available at 4. If they have the same grade on 3 different QBs they have no business drafting.

If I am the Browns I would gamble on Barkley being there sooner than I would gamble on my top graded QB being available at 4. If they have the same grade on 3 different QBs they have no business drafting.

its not about having the same exact grade on 3 QB's, don't be so literal. Its about this QB class not having a sure thing. You could have another big ben, eli, rivers draft or you could have a draft of busts.

whats to say that the browns, with all of their QB drafting wisdom over the years, are better off taking the number 1 guy on their board versus settling for the #3? and having Barkley on top of it?

again, its just an idea. I probably go QB #1 and then trae out of the 4th pick anyway

The Browns have a new front office so I cant blame them for the franchises historic failures. I see what youre saying but my belief is youre paying the GM to assess talent and make a decision. The GM cant guarantee success but he should know who he wants and take that guy, especially since one of Chubb / Barkley will certainly be there at 4.

I think Cleveland is on the right track and really going to improve a lot over the next few seasons FWIW.

Picking a qb, to my mind, isnt about grades. On field talent matters much less than other, softer attributes. Intelligence, work ethic, leadership, etc.

If its me, Im spending as much time with each that I can. The guy that I have to chase out of the building, the film geek... thats the one Im drafting.

I mean look at the nfl. Brady and brees wouldnt make the top half of the league in terms of on field talent, by which I mean arm strength, mobility, size, etc. thats not what makes a qb.

• Like 1

Situation is obvious.

David Carr would have been a solid NFL QB if he didn't get drafted by the Texans and their terrible o-line which more or less ruined his career. When you take that many sacks and hits in the first 2-3 years of a carrer and have few offensive weapons at your disposal, how can you succeed?

Would Drew Brees be Drew Brees if he ended up in Miami rather than New Orleans? Would Eli Manning have his super bowls with the Chargers and would Rivers just be a really good NFL QB with the Giants? or would it be Rivers with the rings?

Carson Wentz went into a great situation.

Jared Goff looked like a complete bust in year 1. Then the Rams bring in a new coach, sign Andrew Whitworth, bring in Robert Woods, Sammy Watkins, draft Cooper Kupp and all of a sudden Gurley has holes to run through and Goff looks like a pro bowler. I don't honestly think he is all that great. I think he is somewhere between what we saw in years 1 and 2.

There are so many reason why drafting a RB in the early first makes little sense. Kareem Hunt and Alvin Kamara are perfect examples as well as the short shelf life of RB's but I have been thinking that with the Browns addition of Landry, if they drafted Barkley 1st overall to guard against the Giants possibly taking him and then grab their QB at 4.... or hell, trade back from 4 and add a corner and some o-line help and just let Tyrod Taylor do his thing..... think about an offense with Jarvis Landry, Josh Gordon, Corey Coleman, David Njoku, Saquan Barkley..... Tyrod and his wheels could do some serious damage in that situation, or whichever rookie QB they take. Unless they have a really strong conviction about one of these guys, pick 4 would still net them Mayfield, Darnold or Allen. :dunno:

:thumbsup:

The Browns have a new front office so I cant blame them for the franchises historic failures. I see what youre saying but my belief is youre paying the GM to assess talent and make a decision. The GM cant guarantee success but he should know who he wants and take that guy, especially since one of Chubb / Barkley will certainly be there at 4.

I think Cleveland is on the right track and really going to improve a lot over the next few seasons FWIW.

i agree on cleveland improving a lot.

but havn't they picked up a lot of defensive players lately? and a pass rusher last season? So i don't know if Chubb is the way to go and there is definitely no guarantee that Barkley makes it past #2 either being picked by the Giants or someone trading in.

You are absolutely paying a GM to assess talent and make a decision and perhaps that decision is that Barkley is the top ranked prospect in the draft and their due dilligence on this crop of QB's has Allen, Darnold, Mayfield maybe even Rosen all rated very closely and collectively, picks 1 and 4 are better used on Barkley and a QB versus being used on the "top" QB (possible crap shoot) and another edge rusher.

Its easy for people to say that GM's get paid to have evaluated enough to have clear #1 target at QB but thats not realistic. Its entirely possible that all the evaluation shows strengths and weaknesses for all these guys with no one standing out and a GM wants to keep his job as long as possible.... he may feel the best way to do that is to take the "generational RB", still land a QB, play Tyrod Taylor for a season and hand the reigns over to the rookie QB with tons of talent around him.

Picking a qb, to my mind, isnt about grades. On field talent matters much less than other, softer attributes. Intelligence, work ethic, leadership, etc.

If its me, Im spending as much time with each that I can. The guy that I have to chase out of the building, the film geek... thats the one Im drafting.

I mean look at the nfl. Brady and brees wouldnt make the top half of the league in terms of on field talent, by which I mean arm strength, mobility, size, etc. thats not what makes a qb.

I disagree.

Brady has arm talent to go with all the intangibles. Brees could always move in the pocket and bide his time and after the surgery, he had the arm talent as well. (was kind of like a pitcher coming back better than ever after TJ surgery.)

Chad Pennington was a really good QB for the Jets. Had all the intagibles. Good leader, great work ethic, extremely smart. Didn't have the arm or physical attributes needed to hit the next level

and before you say "it was the Jets" remember this was the Herm Edwards Jets that were making the playoffs every other season.

I disagree.

Brady has arm talent to go with all the intangibles. Brees could always move in the pocket and bide his time and after the surgery, he had the arm talent as well. (was kind of like a pitcher coming back better than ever after TJ surgery.)

Chad Pennington was a really good QB for the Jets. Had all the intagibles. Good leader, great work ethic, extremely smart. Didn't have the arm or physical attributes needed to hit the next level

and before you say "it was the Jets" remember this was the Herm Edwards Jets that were making the playoffs every other season.

Well sure, I dont mean arm talent is completely irrelevant. And yes, Brady and breed certainly have some. But certainly neither one wows you physically.

They win with their heads. Not their cannon arms.

i agree on cleveland improving a lot.

but havn't they picked up a lot of defensive players lately? and a pass rusher last season? So i don't know if Chubb is the way to go and there is definitely no guarantee that Barkley makes it past #2 either being picked by the Giants or someone trading in.

You are absolutely paying a GM to assess talent and make a decision and perhaps that decision is that Barkley is the top ranked prospect in the draft and their due dilligence on this crop of QB's has Allen, Darnold, Mayfield maybe even Rosen all rated very closely and collectively, picks 1 and 4 are better used on Barkley and a QB versus being used on the "top" QB (possible crap shoot) and another edge rusher.

Its easy for people to say that GM's get paid to have evaluated enough to have clear #1 target at QB but thats not realistic. Its entirely possible that all the evaluation shows strengths and weaknesses for all these guys with no one standing out and a GM wants to keep his job as long as possible.... he may feel the best way to do that is to take the "generational RB", still land a QB, play Tyrod Taylor for a season and hand the reigns over to the rookie QB with tons of talent around him.

If the Browns took Barkley at 3, which they absolutely wont, the next 2 picks would absolutely be QBs. I have a hard time believing any team could decide that the top 3 QB prospects are all essentially equal and they dont care who they get. Especially after passing on Wentz/Goff 2 years ago, not to mention the likelihood they win 4-6 games this year, putting them out of position to get a top guy next season without spending picks in a trade up.

If the Browns took Barkley at 3, which they absolutely wont, the next 2 picks would absolutely be QBs. I have a hard time believing any team could decide that the top 3 QB prospects are all essentially equal and they dont care who they get. Especially after passing on Wentz/Goff 2 years ago, not to mention the likelihood they win 4-6 games this year, putting them out of position to get a top guy next season without spending picks in a trade up.

The Jets pick 3 so i assume you meant Barkley at 1.

again, its not about deciding the top 3 QBs are essentially equal. It's about deiciding the difference between them is not worth letting a talent like Barkley go.

Personally, I think a guy like Mason Rudolph could be the best QB in this draft class. There are 6 QB's and I do not see one that is head and shoulders above the rest. I also don't see a definitive line anywhere among the top 5. People shy away from Jackson but he could have the most talent. Think back over the past 2 months or so. How many guys have been talked about as the top QB? Everyone from Rosen to Allen to Darnold to now Mayfield.

When you have "experts" that torn and flip flopping, an NFL team might prefer a certain guy but chances are a few of them will succeed, or, at least, the guy picked first won't end up being the best anyway.

Mason Rudolph- Oklahoma State

He will be the guy that teams will regret passing on.

• Haha 1

The Jets pick 3 so i assume you meant Barkley at 1.

again, its not about deciding the top 3 QBs are essentially equal. It's about deiciding the difference between them is not worth letting a talent like Barkley go.

Personally, I think a guy like Mason Rudolph could be the best QB in this draft class. There are 6 QB's and I do not see one that is head and shoulders above the rest. I also don't see a definitive line anywhere among the top 5. People shy away from Jackson but he could have the most talent. Think back over the past 2 months or so. How many guys have been talked about as the top QB? Everyone from Rosen to Allen to Darnold to now Mayfield.

When you have "experts" that torn and flip flopping, an NFL team might prefer a certain guy but chances are a few of them will succeed, or, at least, the guy picked first won't end up being the best anyway.

I did mean one. Its all academic because theres zero chance the Browns take Barkley at 1. They would have to rate him as the best player in the draft by a wide margin to offset the positional value at QB and the strong likelihood Barkley will be there at 4.

Guess we find out tomorrow either way.

why?

I voted for Josh Allen.

On 4/20/2018 at 12:47 PM, Reality said:

None of the above, not a buyer of any of them.

I felt the same way about Wentz & Goff though.

:dunno:

Was wrong on Allen, obviously a legit stud. Not interested in any of the others.

I shouldn't have admitted defeat on Wentz, what focking turd that dude is.

57 minutes ago, Reality said:

Was wrong on Allen, obviously a legit stud. Not interested in any of the others.

I shouldn't have admitted defeat on Wentz, what focking turd that dude is.

The poor guy had a kid. It’s one of the reasons he struggled in Philadelphia.  Mr. Philly told us so. 

there is so much to be embarrassed about in here lol.  nobody liked josh allen.  multiple people apologizing for thinking wentz and goff sucked.  stafford getting called out for padding stats and nothing else.

• Haha 1

interesting the ask was about top 5 qbs.  qbs drafted top 5 have around a 50% chance of being a star.  outside the top 5, its like 1 in 30.  it doesnt feel like 1 in 30 because we can think of many outside the top 5 that make it, but we forget all the duds and there is an army of them.

the browns alone took kizer, kessler, weeden. manziel, mccoy, quinn, and frye in the top 3 rounds.  in the top 5 they took couch and mayfield.  jury is still out on mayfield.  but if mayfield blossoms in carolina then they hit their 1 out of 2, they just didnt keep him.

the lions took 2 QBs in the top 5 this century.  joey harrington and stafford.  they hit with stafford.  just couldnt build anything around him. even for the lions, it works.  take qbs top 5.

i also understand that he thread is about first 5 qbs selected and not qbs taken in the top 5 selections.  but it kinda reads that way so i ran with it.

• Haha 1

On 4/22/2018 at 12:29 PM, Gepetto said:

Stafford didn't have any trouble playing at a franchise qb level for the Lions. Rodney Peete got the Lions to the playoffs. Joey Harrington was an NFL bust, and I don't blame that on the Detroit Lions it's on him.

YEAH......................like the lions have a real strong track record to back up that east coast bias drivel that you spewed.

58 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

there is so much to be embarrassed about in here lol.  nobody liked josh allen.  multiple people apologizing for thinking wentz and goff sucked.  stafford getting called out for padding stats and nothing else.

DUNCE, I took Allen in 9th round that year-and won our championship-but I didn't realize you put all of your trust in stephonia bell.

14 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

I just voted.

#me too 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, huskyhater75 said:

YEAH......................like the lions have a real strong track record to back up that east coast bias drivel that you spewed.

I don't even know what context I said this in or what I even mean because I wrote it 4 years ago. :wacko:

On 4/20/2018 at 10:19 PM, Cruzer said:

May not be the most ready, but Lamar Jackson has the most upside... Give me him.

Word

On 4/25/2018 at 5:41 PM, Vince44 said:

Nailed it. 

Pole closed. I voted for Sam Darnold. :first:

On 4/20/2018 at 9:46 PM, Gepetto said:

No I would have definitely voted for Deshaun Watson. I voted for Lamar Jackson in this poll. Mayfield is my other top choice.

That's how I voted.

it would be interesting to rerun this poll again right now before the season starts, considering Baker is in a new situation and Lamar hasnt gotten a new contract.